Jump to content

Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda


CCWineLover
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, ohiojohn said:

With the 6 new Bermuda sailings added, why depart now on Friday instead of Tuesday ?   Port congestion ?

Because it makes it easier on cruisers - Viking should have done that from day one. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, molymoo said:

 The agent was very nice and I’m guessing we didn’t fit the typical “drug mule” profile so we had a few laughs and we’re eventually on our way … it makes for a good story !  


As I often console myself, the worse the experience, the better the story afterward! 😉

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, What was that? said:

Because it makes it easier on cruisers - Viking should have done that from day one. 

^^^^

This.

 

Honestly, who starts a cruise on Tuesday?  You could make the case weekend flights are busier and more expensive making Tuesday an easier travel day. But.  With all the gymnastics you have to go through to enter Bermuda causing the prime processing time to fall on a weekend was just stupid.  Friday gives you 4 business days to get everything done vs. 2 for a Tuesday departure. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, ohiojohn said:

With the 6 new Bermuda sailings added, why depart now on Friday instead of Tuesday ?   Port congestion ?

 

Weekend covid testings, getting results back over the weekend, as well as Bermuda Travel Authorizations over the weekends ... makes more sense to switch from Tuesdays to Fridays. Much easier to do the above during the week.

 

No port congestion whatsoever here in Bermuda as Viking Orion is the only ship here ....

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, jollyjones said:

I don’t sail Viking, they’re not solo friendly pricewise. 
I stick with Silversea, but being an avid cruiser of course I take an interest in cruising happening right in front of me. 

 

Oh dear ... but mind you the prices are inclusive, and you do not need to spend money to fly off island to port and stay in hotel pre-cruise. I've read that food and service are excellent on the ship. We're die-hard NCL but we are trying Viking now for the above reasons plus we're celebrating a major wedding anniversary and need to get rid of this ROCK FEVER, ha ha. One con about Viking is no casino, but we're going anyway.

 

One thing for you to consider .... it had been on our bucket list to sail into and out of Bermuda, our home, on a cruise ship ... it became a reality in Oct 2017 when we sailed on NCL Getaway TA from Copenhagen to Miami and the ship stopped into Bermuda for an overnight stay ... we truly loved sailing into Bermuda and out. Priceless to see the island from a cruise ship, and getting off and taking home the dirty laundry and duty-free booze (from Denmark), and then getting back on ship to finish the cruise in Miami! This time Orion will be staying in Hamilton ..... go on and reconsider! You'll meet other people on ship and make friends. 

 

 

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, B_A_H said:

^^^^

This.

 

Honestly, who starts a cruise on Tuesday?  You could make the case weekend flights are busier and more expensive making Tuesday an easier travel day. But.  With all the gymnastics you have to go through to enter Bermuda causing the prime processing time to fall on a weekend was just stupid.  Friday gives you 4 business days to get everything done vs. 2 for a Tuesday departure. 

Yep, I agree with you about the gymnastics one has to go through.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ohiojohn said:

Yep, I agree with you about the gymnastics one has to go through.

WA's another cruise line ( Royal Caribbean I think?) cruising out of Bermuda at the start of all this? I think that one started on a Thurs or Fri.  Then they cancelled all of the Bermuda embarkations when the US opened back up.  Maybe that was why?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

 

Oh dear ... but mind you the prices are inclusive, and you do not need to spend money to fly off island to port and stay in hotel pre-cruise. I've read that food and service are excellent on the ship. We're die-hard NCL but we are trying Viking now for the above reasons plus we're celebrating a major wedding anniversary and need to get rid of this ROCK FEVER, ha ha. One con about Viking is no casino, but we're going anyway.

 

One thing for you to consider .... it had been on our bucket list to sail into and out of Bermuda, our home, on a cruise ship ... it became a reality in Oct 2017 when we sailed on NCL Getaway TA from Copenhagen to Miami and the ship stopped into Bermuda for an overnight stay ... we truly loved sailing into Bermuda and out. Priceless to see the island from a cruise ship, and getting off and taking home the dirty laundry and duty-free booze (from Denmark), and then getting back on ship to finish the cruise in Miami! This time Orion will be staying in Hamilton ..... go on and reconsider! You'll meet other people on ship and make friends. 

 

 

 

I have sailed in and out of Bermuda a number of times on Silversea - it is beautiful and I try and do it every couple of years. If I'm on a TA or a repo that calls into Bermuda, I will fly to the embarkation port and enjoy the Bermuda port call as if I didn't live here. Plus I have disembarked here from a Caribbean cruise that was then doing a TA and called in here.

I started cruising on NCL but moved up through the mainstreams till I jumped up to Silversea and have no wish to go back - Silversea is also fully inclusive and has stunning food and wine. 

I find Silversea is the best line in many ways for solo cruisers. It is not the $$ bottom line so much as the fact that Viking makes zero allowance for solos that annoys me - it's 100% solo supplement - whereas Silversea usually only charges 50% solo supplement and many itineraries attract only a 25% solo supplement. It was when Princess went from 65% solo supplement to 100% that I left the mainstreams - it's value for money that I appreciate. 

And it's not entirely about the money, Silversea makes a point of treating their solos well when onboard.

 

I think the Orion is a bit on the big side for me with nearly a thousand pax, plus it's not off the island I need so much, it's back to cruising and I have an Alaska cruise coming up in a few weeks. And flying to somewhere else and staying for a couple of pre-cruise days in a city (Seattle for the Alaska cruise) is part of the fun of the trip. I'm retired so I have plenty of time.

 

I hope you enjoy your cruise - you will find it very, very different from NCL.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

 

I have sailed in and out of Bermuda a number of times on Silversea - it is beautiful and I try and do it every couple of years. If I'm on a TA or a repo that calls into Bermuda, I will fly to the embarkation port and enjoy the Bermuda port call as if I didn't live here. Plus I have disembarked here from a Caribbean cruise that was then doing a TA and called in here.

I started cruising on NCL but moved up through the mainstreams till I jumped up to Silversea and have no wish to go back - Silversea is also fully inclusive and has stunning food and wine. 

I find Silversea is the best line in many ways for solo cruisers. It is not the $$ bottom line so much as the fact that Viking makes zero allowance for solos that annoys me - it's 100% solo supplement - whereas Silversea usually only charges 50% solo supplement and many itineraries attract only a 25% solo supplement. It was when Princess went from 65% solo supplement to 100% that I left the mainstreams - it's value for money that I appreciate. 

And it's not entirely about the money, Silversea makes a point of treating their solos well when onboard.

 

I think the Orion is a bit on the big side for me with nearly a thousand pax, plus it's not off the island I need so much, it's back to cruising and I have an Alaska cruise coming up in a few weeks. And flying to somewhere else and staying for a couple of pre-cruise days in a city (Seattle for the Alaska cruise) is part of the fun of the trip. I'm retired so I have plenty of time.

 

I hope you enjoy your cruise - you will find it very, very different from NCL.

 

 

These Bermuda sailings are a 50% solo supplement. I believe some of the other Welcome Back cruises are as well. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, bafinegan said:

Wow!  I thought the hours for Bermuda to approve those TA's was 8-8.  And arent you outside the 4 day window for the PCR tests?

No, we are flying tomorrow and spending couple of days in the hotel prior to our July 13th sailing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, rpg said:

No, we are flying tomorrow and spending couple of days in the hotel prior to our July 13th sailing.

How  wonderful!!!! have you been to Bermuda before?

 I always go in a couple of days early to any home port and always stay at least a day after my cruise. But alas, not this time.  When I got the email in April, we book  the Bermuda cruise within 24 hr and am using Viking Air.  This will be our first time in Bermuda.

See you on board .

Cheers!

Patti

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, ohiojohn said:

Yep, I agree with you about the gymnastics one has to go through.

I thought the same thing about why start on a Tuesday with all of the hoops to jump through and many lab sites closed Sat & Sunday.  Starting on a Friday would have been so much easier for everyone.  Unfortunately, we had to cancel due to a medical issue and have already received the insurance money.  so, I just like to visit this thread and read the comments.  You all are going to have a great cruise and wish we could have been there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Azulann said:

How  wonderful!!!! have you been to Bermuda before?

 I always go in a couple of days early to any home port and always stay at least a day after my cruise. But alas, not this time.  When I got the email in April, we book  the Bermuda cruise within 24 hr and am using Viking Air.  This will be our first time in Bermuda.

See you on board .

Cheers!

Patti

We have been to Bermuda many times, usually with Celebrity or NCL.  We live in North Jersey and it’s just so easy to cruise to Bermuda from here.  But not this year ☹️  Celebrity Summit got repositioned and I rebooked with Viking at the end of May.

Have a safe trip.  See you soon,

Rita

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, aussie1944 said:

I thought the same thing about why start on a Tuesday with all of the hoops to jump through and many lab sites closed Sat & Sunday.  Starting on a Friday would have been so much easier for everyone.  Unfortunately, we had to cancel due to a medical issue and have already received the insurance money.  so, I just like to visit this thread and read the comments.  You all are going to have a great cruise and wish we could have been there.

Sorry about your medical issue occurring prior to an exciting cruise coming up.  Glad you had insurance.  I  cancelled outside the 14 day period thus getting a voucher.  I still read these threads hoping that Bermuda would eliminate the 14 day quarantine for a positive PCR result, which on retesting could have ruled out a false positive.   I think it is great Viking moved the cruise start date to Friday.  As a number of cruisers have indicated this will help with the requirements to get into Bermuda by eliminating the weekend processing.  But this tells me Bermuda will not reduce their entrance requirements even for the added 6 cruises.  I am the one who can not get beyond that 14 day quarantine requirement.  I still have some small hope we can use the voucher for one of the added 6 cruises.  But time is running out because I probably WILL use the voucher the 1st week of August for final payment on a Aug 2022 VIKING CRUISE.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, 3rdtimecruising said:

Hello Cruisers,

We are 2 days back from cruising to Bermuda on the Viking Orion.  We did a back to back from 6/22 thru 7/6.  It was wonderful.  The only issue we had was getting our Bermuda Authorization .  Mine was delayed and we were told in the end that Bermuda authorities made the error.  We still have not found out what our Verizon cell charges will be for the 3 hours we were on hold or twice disconnected to find our application was fine and authorized. 

 

Viking does an amazing job.  We were tested by Bermuda govt at the pier and once onboard we did our first sputum Covid testing. And for the next 13 days we did that test upon waking and they were collected by room steward.  We were called by a certain time if we had not submitted them.  We then had our temp taken at the first restaurant we ate in.  All tables were socially separated.  Masks worn at all times, accept while eating or drinking and at the pool.  Hand sanitizing was encouraged, more like demanded, by all staff as they saw us walk into venues and shops. 

The cruise was delightful, our 18 time to Bermuda, and we thoroughly enjoyed being out of our own home for over 15 months.  We did go on a few water tours and one tour in St. George with just two more cruisers. We ventured into Hamilton to our favorite Hog Penny Pub and enjoyed a great Dockyard Brewery pint of Ale.  Rum Swizzle Inn was closed due to a recent positive case but we were very pleased to go to the Lily Perfume Factory Store.  I bought 4 bottles of my favorite Passion Flower due to the online store closing last year during the pandemic.  Many, many shops are closed and shuttered in Hamilton.  Dockyard also had several of the shops in the mall area closed.  I was pleased to find what I needed to bring home to THE KIDS as well as buying a nice piece of pottery from the local artist I have purchased from before.   We felt we had made an effort to help the local economy.  We ended that visit with another Ale at the Frog and Onion and a little snack while we were entertained by Wayne a wonderful vocalist who pleased us by sing " Bermuda is another world"  that we had heard the Bermuda Strollers play in 1972 at the Forty Thieves Club while on our honeymoon.  Bermuda is a fantastic place to visit.  Only glitch was the covid test debacle, but that won't stop us from going back again.

 

We did the back to back and had planned that in April.  We stayed in the same cabin, did not have to go through any procedures.  We were automatically given new key cards and also a new tracking device that we had on our person at all times.  They kept a close and safe watch over us constantly right till we were dropped at airport on Tuesday.

 

The food was wonderful.  We LOVED every meal we had at The Restaurant, reservations were not needed by the time we cruised, we ate once and Manfredi's and at The Chef's Table.  Once was enough.  We are foodies and not afraid of new things and gave it a try.

 

Entertainment was amazing.  Brian Rodriguez the cruise director and Michael Restaino the asst cruise director do the job extremely well.  Viking is very lucky to have such talent onboard from musicians to singers and dancers better that any we have ever seen in our 30 former cruises they have done a great job providing passengers with wonderful entertainers. We were so delighted with our first Viking Ocean cruise that we booked another for Ft. Lauderdale to Panama in Oct. 2022 to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. 

 

Hopefully all other cruise lines will take a lesson from the way Viking opened up and making cruisers happy once again.

 

Ann, welcome back to Boston, it was great meeting you and Bernie on the first leg of your B2B.

Brian and Lauralee

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Irishbuckeye said:

Ann, welcome back to Boston, it was great meeting you and Bernie on the first leg of your B2B.

Brian and Lauralee

Brian is was wonderful spending many fun moments together with you as well.  Our second week was wonderful.  The long distance phone bill came in today..... $400 for all 3 calls to Bermuda from Boston.

I sure hope the Bermuda health services have solved their issues.  Stay safe and keep on cruising.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just received email form Viking. "Due to operational changes , we will be tendering off St. George. Instead we will be in port at Dockyard and all St. George exclusion will take place from Hamilton.'I figure this all out when I get on board.

US Coast Guard tall ship  will be docked in Hamilton Sunday through Wed. So we will see it when we  arrive in Hamilton on Tuesday.( Royal Gazette)

I also think the Harbor night  which is at Dockyards on weekend will be something we can do  on Friday and Saturday of our cruise week? 

I am just a happy  cruiser, with a negative  COVID test, ready to runt the final hurdle with BTA form, I  will have great  jell polish on my fingers as I fill out the form on line  on Sat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also  Viking TV  today has the Orion crew talking about the  art work on the ORION.

 I have mixed my gin Martini and will watch it before before dinner.

Cheers!

Patti

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Just received email form Viking. "Due to operational changes , we will be tendering off St. George. Instead we will be in port at Dockyard and all St. George exclusion will take place from Hamilton.'I figure this all out when I get on board.

US Coast Guard tall ship  will be docked in Hamilton Sunday through Wed. So we will see it when we  arrive in Hamilton on Tuesday.( Royal Gazette)

I also think the Harbor night  which is at Dockyards on weekend will be something we can do  on Friday and Saturday of our cruise week? 

I am just a happy  cruiser, with a negative  COVID test, ready to runt the final hurdle with BTA form, I  will have great  jell polish on my fingers as I fill out the form on line  on Sat.

I assume this is intended to say "we will not be tendering off St. George". 

Also, Harbour Nights are on Wednesdays in Hamilton, not weekends in the Dockyard. https://bernews.com/2021/06/chamber-commerce-host-harbour-nights/

 

Edited by njhorseman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I assume this is intended to say "we will not be tendering off St. George". 

Also, Harbour Nights are on Wednesdays in Hamilton, not weekends in the Dockyard. https://bernews.com/2021/06/chamber-commerce-host-harbour-nights/

 

Whatever,

I am going on a Cruise in 4 day to Bermuda, an Island I have never visited.

 I have the  book "Twain & Stanley Enter  Paradise" by Oscar Hijueslos to read on the plane and as I   sit on a lounger at the infinity pool on sea days.

Thank you  for pointing out my typos and faulty information about Harbor  nights dates.

I am too excited with only 4 days left to  edit my posts. 

Are you sailing on a  Bermuda  cruise , too?

 Cheer!

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Just received email form Viking. "Due to operational changes , we will be tendering off St. George. Instead we will be in port at Dockyard and all St. George exclusion will take place from Hamilton.'I figure this all out when I get on board.

US Coast Guard tall ship  will be docked in Hamilton Sunday through Wed. So we will see it when we  arrive in Hamilton on Tuesday.( Royal Gazette)

I also think the Harbor night  which is at Dockyards on weekend will be something we can do  on Friday and Saturday of our cruise week? 

I am just a happy  cruiser, with a negative  COVID test, ready to runt the final hurdle with BTA form, I  will have great  jell polish on my fingers as I fill out the form on line  on Sat.

It will be fun to see that ship!.  As for St George- I don't like tender ports anyways..  I'm like you, I don't care where we go because I WILL BE ON A SHIP!!!!!!  (also got gel polish on fingers and toes.  Wanting a lemon drop martini or a mojito tho😉.)  Can' wait to see ya'll onboard!  

 

ps- just got "The Handmaid's Tale" to read.  I must be the only woman who hasn't watched it, so I will read it-lol

Edited by bafinegan
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

Whatever,

I am going on a Cruise in 4 day to Bermuda, an Island I have never visited.

 I have the  book "Twain & Stanley Enter  Paradise" by Oscar Hijueslos to read on the plane and as I   sit on a lounger at the infinity pool on sea days.

Thank you  for pointing out my typos and faulty information about Harbor  nights dates.

I am too excited with only 4 days left to  edit my posts. 

Are you sailing on a  Bermuda  cruise , too?

 Cheer!

We've been regular visitors to Bermuda for about 35 years...mostly cruises but have also stayed in hotels. 

 

I've been following this Viking Bermuda cruise thread because having cruised on Azamara and Oceania this cruise line has been on my radar for a while so I want to get a flavor of Viking cruises, and I'm looking forward to returning to Bermuda sooner rather than later.

 

I haven't been able to pull the trigger on travel just yet...hoping for the pandemic to disappear into the background a bit more than it has.

 

I'm sure you'll enjoy Bermuda. It's a terrific place to visit . We find it very relaxing. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

 

I'm sure you'll enjoy Bermuda. It's a terrific place to visit . We find it very relaxing. 

thank you for  your well wishes.  Relaxing is core of this cruise for us.

 I have followed Azamra Forum for years. I like the idea of a small ship and their  deep destination explorations.  Now that they are  on their own as a cruise line , I still follow it as they  start up cruising again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I haven't been able to pull the trigger on travel just yet...hoping for the pandemic to disappear into the background a bit more than it has.

Watching the Delta variant become the most dominate strain we on these Bermuda cruises may look back and realize we got in on a narrow window of opportunity.  

 

Countries with lower vaccination rates are going to be a problem and not just for themselves but to other countries who've allowed cross-border tourism.  France is teetering on the edge of blocking travel to Spain and Portugal.  I don't think more vaccinated countries will lock down but I do think they'll reconsider cross-border tourism if Delta keeps growing in prevalence.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...