The Daily for Friday Apr 09, 2021

richwmn

Happy Friday all!  POW Recognition Day is a worthy celebration day.  Happy Anniversary @ger_77and Happy Birthday/Anniversary @luvteaching.  So sorry to hear about Prince Phillip passing today.

Today's port is a Japanese port we have not seen so I'm afraid I can't contribute, but hopefully someone else can.

Today's menu suggestion, potato soup, sounds good but we are picking up BBQ pulled pork for sandwiches tonight.  We have a dental cleaning, grocery shopping, etc. to do before DD and family arrive here from Florida late this afternoon.  Much to do so will sign off.  I'll check in later.😅

• Like 17

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

Corfu GR
Volendam

0409Med.thumb.png.cbdc14b803d7f15b7d608173bc492bf7.png

And in today's interesting intersections of history, HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh was born on Corfu, in Mon Repos, about 3 kms south of Kerkira, where Volendam is currently alongside. Scott.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Well, good morning everyone.  

RIP Prince Philip.

I do have some good news to report.  Not sure if the IRS rep was mistaken or if the IRS decided to process my return and forget about the Identity verification process.  However I looked at the app this morning and finally it showed that after seven weeks my refund will be deposited in my account on Tuesday.  So go figure.  Maybe it was everyone’s prayers.  If so, a big THANK YOU!

Have never been to Japan so cannot comment on today’s port.  And I think we will pass on the Potato Soup.  We had too much starch yesterday. Happy Anniversary to @ger_77 and Happy Birthday/Anniversary to @luvteaching.

Lots of stuff to do today around the house.

No other news to report.  Nice sunny day here in Bluffton, SC.

Have a great day everyone.

Terri

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Well, good morning everyone.  

RIP Prince Philip.

I do have some good news to report.  Not sure if the IRS rep was mistaken or if the IRS decided to process my return and forget about the Identity verification process.  However I looked at the app this morning and finally it showed that after seven weeks my refund will be deposited in my account on Tuesday.  So go figure.  Maybe it was everyone’s prayers.  If so, a big THANK YOU!

Have never been to Japan so cannot comment on today’s port.  And I think we will pass on the Potato Soup.  We had too much starch yesterday. Happy Anniversary to @ger_77 and Happy Birthday/Anniversary to @luvteaching.

Lots of stuff to do today around the house.

No other news to report.  Nice sunny day here in Bluffton, SC.

Have a great day everyone.

Terri

I think I'll hold off on the celebration until it's actually there.

Roy

• Like 7

Good morning.  After a relatively calm day yesterday, our wind is back.  

All POWs deserve recognition.  I don't think we've ever been to a dive bar.  I have always loved the idea of unicorns, and keep looking for one.  Unicorn day reminded me of The Unicorn Song by the Irish Rovers.  In 2018 on the Zaandam, the piano bar entertainer, Mike, would do that song.  He taught all of us the hand gestures to go with each animal.  That was always fun.

Vaughan's quote is very interesting, but I don't think a lot of money is needed since anyone can make their own happiness.

RIP Prince Phillip.

We have not been to Aomori, so I'll look forward to pictures.

@ger_77  HAPPY 44TH ANNIVERSARY!  🥂

@erewash  A belated  HAPPY ANNIVERSARY 🥂

i might make the potato soup next week if our temperatures dip back into the 60s as predicted.  I love the baked potato soup served on the BHBs.

Today will be an easy day after the marathon house cleaning yesterday.  The last time it was cleaned was in October just before we left for Quartzsite.  It definitely needed some attention.

Lenda

• Like 18

@ger_77 Happy Anniversary! It was a great weekend to be married, wasn't it? Our motivation for choosing the date was two-fold. My DH wanted to be married sooner than later and my birthday worked. Also, being Easter weekend it meant it was easier for out-of-town guests to travel. We got married in Coquitlam BC where I grew up. We're also doing Italian take-out from Olive Garden (same as last year at the start of the pandemic). 

Karen

• Like 17

Congratulations to @ger_77 and @luvteaching

And thanks to everyone for all the anniversary well wishes yesterday. We ended up having a repeat of Easter dinner, but celebrated with champagne, shrimp cocktail, and a fancy dessert. The champagne was nothing exceptional (nice for the price though), but it does have nostalgic value. It is what we brought onboard to drink on our balcony in the Panama Canal locks during our 2017 transit. The dessert was raspberry topped mascarpone in dark chocolate shells (and no I did not make them!) -

20210408_170418.thumb.jpg.183eff2e3a9c71a9feabb43ce2ab38af.jpg

20210408_195730.thumb.jpg.171593a4e35c1804ea8f98a971c313e2.jpg

Today in 2018, we were in Cartagena, Spain. We took an excursion to Elche and saw some fantastic gardens. I highly recommend visiting there! It became very windy and rough when we departed. We needed a tug assist to clear the harbor; you can see the line from the tug to Koningsdam's bow - 

DSC_0054.thumb.JPG.72c69cf5dc414006931a5e36353e5636.JPGDSC_0023.thumb.JPG.a950bba860035c62f8c00e97466140f3.JPGDSC_0090.thumb.JPG.4220f49a1cb1158fe0d23f93bf7fdf1f.JPGDSC_0112.thumb.JPG.bf3c42ca718c227362c65a2e60d5f972.JPG

• Like 26

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting collection of days. I still have a POW bracelet.

I like the meal and drinks, and Roy's as well. 

I haven't been to the port.

I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon, then will make my first quick in-person visit to a grocery store in over a year.

RIP Prince Philip.

My BFF is getting the J&J vaccine tomorrow, so I hope to see him in a couple of weeks.

@luvteaching Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary!

@ger_77 Happy Anniversary!

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask. My county just reported 593 new Covid cases yesterday, when we had been down under 200 daily prior to St. Patrick's Day and Easter. Sigh.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

Every POW is a hero and to be celebrated.

Will pass on the potato soup but the drink today looks very good!  My gosh, 2 Japanese ports in a row...never have been to this one either.

RIP Prince Phillip

@ger_77Happy Anniversary!

@luvteachingHappy Birthday/Anniversary!

@Cruzin Terrigreat news about your IRS woes.  Once years ago it took DH several years to battle the IRS (he won).  

Today we plan to drive either north or south to one of the big wine stores (we really, really need one closer!)  It may end up being south, as I just remembered the freeways may be clogged with tulip field looky-loos up north. 😉  Speaking of that, here are some photos of tulips from a few years ago taken on a road trip to Oregon.  Mine this year are almost ready to bloom, cannot wait.

1592974417_tuliptriangle.jpg.a03d5d1c10cce28a267f9d2734c69806.jpg

967644235_pinktulips.jpg.1ced0e607aec4edc01dd13a5d25d8054.jpg

1295284975_pinkandwhite.jpg.fa31d438e9200d19499c39202d98f215.jpg

windmill.thumb.jpg.6a73aff69ecd0adcfcb97543c6081fc8.jpg

• Like 25

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Not sure if the IRS rep was mistaken or if the IRS decided to process my return and forget about the Identity verification process.  However I looked at the app this morning and finally it showed that after seven weeks my refund will be deposited in my account on Tuesday.

That’s really good news, Terri 👍. Happy it got sorted out for you 🙂 

• Like 5

Good morning all. Thank you Rich for the Daily. I also wore a POW bracelet. 

Good morning to my sweet sisters, Roy who's been in my prayers for many months and thank you to all who contribute.

By the way I like potato soup. It comes in second to my love for cream of mushroom soup.

We've been crazy busy. Our door mason, contractor, plumber stuff.

We had a driveway Happy hour at our house and next door neighbor's last night. Probably 45 to 50 people wandered around. Then we took Elvis down to our Restaurant with friends and actually had a good meal. (Past few times weren't great)

Wishing our CC friends Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversarie's for those I have missed. 

@DeeniEncinitas any hummingbird news? 

Our friend surprised us with Decals for Elvis:

0407211938a_HDR.jpg

0407211935.jpg

• Like 16

Good morning, all.  Interesting day today, thanks Rich and Roy.   There's always something to think about.  Sad about Prince Philip, he was a great support for his wife, wasn't he?  It must have taken a lot of dedication.  I'm glad they could be together at the end.

Happy anniversary, @ger_77!

I am stiff and sore today, I did a lot of gardening yesterday, now we are due for some rain today.  I have a big pot of daffodils and tulips which I had placed in our driveway, but I have now brought it into the courtyard to protect it from the deer.  I had been thinking it was safe, but someone nibbled my lilac the night before, and I imagine it was a dear deer, so it will be better inside the courtyard.  I also built a protective fence of mesh around the lilac, as I couldn't bring it into the courtyard!  I'm hoping that by next year it will be tall enough to fend for itself.

Our Covid numbers are soaring, almost 1,300 new cases in the province yesterday, a record !  We have reached almost a million vaccinations, but it doesn't seem to be making a difference yet.  I don't see the border with the US opening up any time soon.   DS and his partner have appointments for their vaccinations, I need to try to find out what they will be getting, as they are going to a different site from the rest of us.

My "Spring pot" in years past:

CIMG3186.thumb.JPG.c2ae5f5d589735fe92590700ed9072df.JPG

1921934339_CIMG31932.thumb.JPG.3b1377556bde2411762d5d8261490376.JPG

• Like 27

Good Morning.

Potato soup maybe the answer for dinner tonight.  My oven seems to have caught the major appliance virus.  I will know better once I check a few things out.  Unfortunately I think this will need to be a call out to the repair man.

Stumbled across this Unicorn song. 

Val

• Like 15

Good morning everyone and Happy Friday!  Happy Anniversary and Birthday to @luvteaching.  Happy Anniversary @ger_77. And Congratulations @erewhon(yesterday?). And @Overhead Fred I couldn’t help but notice that your shrimp were arranged on your plates in the shape of hearts ♥️!  How clever and sweet! I am so stealing your idea. 

RIP Prince Phillip. I always thought he was so handsome. 

Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

Certainly a mishmash of Days to celebrate. I think all POW’s are heroes. I always think of John McCain and the movie based on his book “Faith of My Fathers”. 

The meal suggestion and drink sound really good. Not sure what we will have today. 

We haven’t been to today’s port. 

Today I’m celebrating because my DD finally decided to get vaccinated and has her appointments scheduled for April 12th and May 10th. She had originally told me she wasn’t going to get vaccinated. I am so proud of her for changing her mind. She will be 40 on April 18th and I told her it will be a birthday present to herself. 

DH is taking today off work and has his 2nd vaccine in an hour. 

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 16

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

A happy day in our house, because on this day in 1977, we were married - today we celebrate 44 years together.  

A very Happy Anniversary to you. Hope you enjoy many more.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Love the beach said:

@luvteaching Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary!

@ger_77 Happy Anniversary!

Belated Happy Anniversary to Overhead Fred!

Have a great day all and thanks again for the Daily!

Adding my good wishes!  

RIP PrincePhilip! 

I learn so much from CC, had no idea about POW bracelets.   I am very concerned about the two Canadians China has in prison.  

It is also a very important day in World War One history, Vimy day!  We visited the Canadian memorial in France and  it is extremely moving, as it is actually Canadian soil!  I lost a distant cousin there, and my DH’s grandfather fought there as well but survived.  

DD is in quarantine again, during her spring break.  I wish they would vaccinate our teachers.   
image.jpeg.eefeebddbbbe2cf33333acab50e9f48d.jpeg

image.jpeg.b3670ce28a3799b6a71846ca6f072a39.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1