First of all, my apologies, as I know this subject was discussed recently, but for the life of me I cannot now find the discussion.

Assuming that we will not snag a suite on the 2023 repo cruise to Malta, we are thinking that we might still take the cruise, and book a deluxe balcony,  which is larger than a standard balcony, but is overlooked.

I recall from the discussion that  some were of the opinion that standard balcony cabins on C deck were better value - or did I just imagine that?

If anyone can enlighten this confused old man, I would be very grateful!

It so depends on what you want Wowzz.

There’s a reasonable price differential, so if that’s important to you it will be a factor in your decision.  Personally, I don’t find it worthwhile

So

D deck cabin is definitely two distinct areas - sleeping and sitting - with a long sofa (sofa bed actually), second TV and more ‘put down’ space and shelf space

The balcony is totally open to the elements and totally exposed to people in C deck above - but they won’t look down.  You get an extra footstool or drinks table or something

You get slippers (to take home) and bathrobe (to borrow)

C deck is a standard cabin but double width balcony, half of which is covered, half exposed

Pay yer money, take yer choice.

We tend to be balcony dwellers, so like C.  If you spend a lot of daytime in your cabin it’s obviously much nicer to have more seating and more space

Thanks Eddie.

If we were doing a 14 day sunshine cruise, we'd definitely take C deck. But on a 20 day cruise at the end of March, we might opt for the extra cabin space, on the assumption that the weather might not be good enough to get maximum use out of the balcony.

I need to research the likely price differential.

28 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Thanks Eddie.

If we were doing a 14 day sunshine cruise, we'd definitely take C deck. But on a 20 day cruise at the end of March, we might opt for the extra cabin space, on the assumption that the weather might not be good enough to get maximum use out of the balcony.

I need to research the likely price differential.

The thread is called What side is the Smoking Side. Graham last posted about 13 hours ago. I think  this is the one you mean 🙂

Hi Wowzz ,one of the best cabins we chose was on the "B" deck and felt very private

and not overlooked as "A" deck is flush to it part of C deck balcony and others below 

we could see quite easily although "c" was partly covered , but they are still good cabins.

We went for the middle of the ship B630 which had no cabins opposite so no noise and 

when the Azura got a bit bouncy it was very steady ,so would recommend that part of the

ship even down on C deck. Will put you short film on and deck plan , hope it helps you. 

https://www.pocruises.com/content/dam/po/pdfs/ships/2020-Azura-deck-plans.pdf

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, wowzz said:

First of all, my apologies, as I know this subject was discussed recently, but for the life of me I cannot now find the discussion.

Assuming that we will not snag a suite on the 2023 repo cruise to Malta, we are thinking that we might still take the cruise, and book a deluxe balcony,  which is larger than a standard balcony, but is overlooked.

I recall from the discussion that  some were of the opinion that standard balcony cabins on C deck were better value - or did I just imagine that?

The discussion you mention was regards Ventura round trip Caribbean 35 nights and the responses were to me.  Having done that part of the Atlantic in the "mid season", I agree with you that the cabin space is likely to be more useful, especially at night and I am also thinking that we cannot be totally sure all covid policies will have been removed, so we may decide to spend more time than usual in our cabin.

We have booked a standard balcony for both your cruise and the autumn one because we were being cheapies (as normal), but are thinking we have likely made a mistake and may well upgrade.  Regards C deck or other standard balcony cabins, we were not too bothered about which we get as there are quite a few port days and we have been in a cabin with a longer balcony before and find the visibility from the cabin more restricted when sitting down than those with shorter balconies.  A TA Caribbean cruise would have been much different.

Edited by tring
36 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

The thread is called What side is the Smoking Side. Graham last posted about 13 hours ago. I think  this is the one you mean 🙂

No wonder I couldn't find it! Didn't think of looking in a smoking thread! 

Thanks.

29 minutes ago, tring said:

The discussion you mention was regards Ventura round trip Caribbean 35 nights and the responses were to me.  Having done that part of the Atlantic in the "mid season", I agree with you that the cabin space is likely to be more useful, especially at night and I am also thinking that we cannot be totally sure all covid policies will have been removed, so we may decide to spend more time than usual in our cabin.

We have booked a standard balcony for both your cruise and the autumn one because we were being cheapies (as normal), but are thinking we have likely made a mistake and may well upgrade.  Regards C deck or other standard balcony cabins, we were not too bothered about which we get as there are quite a few port days and we have been in a cabin with a longer balcony before and find the visibility from the cabin more restricted when sitting down than those with shorter balconies.  A TA Caribbean cruise would have been much different.

I think we are both thinking the same thing in terms of use of the cabin. If the weather is grim, it's nice to have the sofa in the cabin.

Think I need to get on to the "beast" and sort out a few cabins as our Plan B, if, as I suspect, our suite request fails. Not to,worried about location, as long as it is starboard. 

36 minutes ago, kalos said:

Hi Wowzz ,one of the best cabins we chose was on the "B" deck and felt very private

and not overlooked as "A" deck is flush to it part of C deck balcony and others below 

we could see quite easily although "c" was partly covered , but they are still good cabins.

We went for the middle of the ship B630 which had no cabins opposite so no noise and 

when the Azura got a bit bouncy it was very steady ,so would recommend that part of the

ship even down on C deck. Will put you short film on and deck plan , hope it helps you. 

https://www.pocruises.com/content/dam/po/pdfs/ships/2020-Azura-deck-plans.pdf

Thanks Kalos, very useful.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I think we are both thinking the same thing in terms of use of the cabin. If the weather is grim, it's nice to have the sofa in the cabin.

Think I need to get on to the "beast" and sort out a few cabins as our Plan B, if, as I suspect, our suite request fails. Not to,worried about location, as long as it is starboard. 

There is still a smaller seating area and I think a small settee and very small table in the standard cabins, but the coffee table in the better cabins looks more useful for room service breakfast etc.  Looking at the pics on the P&O website, it seems the only TV in the standard cabins can only been seen from the beds, so cannot sit and watch TV from a chair.

We are still feeling cheap in some ways though.

Edited by tring
16 minutes ago, tring said:

There is still a smaller seating area and I think a small settee and very small table in the standard cabins, but the coffee table in the better cabins looks more useful for room service breakfast etc.  Looking at the pics on the P&O website, it seems the only TV in the standard cabins can only been seen from the beds, so cannot sit and watch TV from a chair.

We are still feeling cheap in some ways though.

Just found a video on YouTube of a C deck cabin Just a chair in front of the desk, and a fairly basic armchair, plus round coffee table. To be honest, it didn't look that appealing  - ok for a port intensive cruise, but not my (or more importantly,  my wife's) idea of fun for sea days. Balcony looked nice though!

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, wowzz said:

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Just found a video on YouTube of a C deck cabin Just a chair in front of the desk, and a fairly basic armchair, plus round coffee table. To be honest, it didn't look that appealing  - ok for a port intensive cruise, but not my (or more importantly,  my wife's) idea of fun for sea days. Balcony looked nice though!

Yes just looked, I must have confused it with another ships (?Aurora).  There is just one comfy chair, but we were thinking it would be easy enough to bring a balcony chair in, but not the same as a settee and the TV not easily visible from that part of the cabin - not that we normally watch it.

Edited by tring

C deck - or any cabin other than D deck & suites - simply aren’t designed for sitting in.  If you want to watch TV, you’ll need to sit on the bed & stretch your legs out 

You’re probably right that, for March, you’ll be much more comfortable in a D deck.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, wowzz said:

There are also some De Luxe balconies aft  on E deck, and these have a fully covered balcony,  but some have noise issues from the show lounge.

The C deck balconies are by far the deepest, having double the standard size with half covered and half open, but the cabin is only the standard size. However you will be well South the entire cruise, so the balcony will effectively be an extension of your cabin, and unless they have fitted bigger TVs during the covid crisis, then you won't want to be watching too much TV 

Edited by terrierjohn
29 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

However you will be well South the entire cruise, so the balcony will effectively be an extension of your cabin,

I'm not so sure. The Med in late March, early April can be fairly unsettled,  and certainly I don't think we'll be using the balcony in the early evening for our pre-dinner drinks, so the extra cabin space is more tempting than the larger balcony. Also we have the odd room service dinner, so the extra space is useful. 

I am fairly sure we thought about which balcony cabin to go for when we booked.  Looking carefully at the deck plans, I have now remembered what put us off the D deck cabins is that the big balconies on deck C extend over the cabin area as well as the balcony of the Superior Deluxe balconies, which made us think we can be driven mad by balcony furniture above scrapping just above the sitting area of those cabins.

Would be interested if anyone who has been in the Azura or Venture Superior Deluxe cabins has had any problems with that?  So we are going off the idea of upgrading and also see only the rear D deck cabins are available for Azura's October translocation, which we are also booked on.

6 minutes ago, tring said:

which made us think we can be driven mad by balcony furniture above scrapping just above the sitting area of those cabins.

That is a concern of ours as well.

Taking the advice from CC we had this cabin on our last cruise. It was just amazing and though it may not suit everyone on here some of you may like the idea of an aft cabin.

Even better as I have discovered that it is a video from our own, lovely Kalos

P&O Ventura Cabin B749 - YouTube

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Taking the advice from CC we had this cabin on our last cruise. It was just amazing and though it may not suit everyone on here some of you may like the idea of an aft cabin.

Thanks for that, and also thanks to Kalos, as it it very useful as an example of a standard cabin, though I realise the balcony of that one is bigger than most others.

It has reassured us that those cabins are fine for a cruise without a lot of time at sea.  The rear location does appeal, but for the price of what we have booked we would be happy with any of the cabins in the grade we have chosen, as long as it is not opposite the launderette or the stairwell/lifts.

51 minutes ago, tring said:

, as long as it is not opposite the launderette or the stairwell/lifts.

I'm just wondering how many people would use the laundrette on a 20 day cruise? 

We've only ever used it once for our (ahem!) smalls on a 4 week land/cruise trip..    

3 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Looks like a great cabin. I think the chances that I will get it are virtually zero!

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm just wondering how many people would use the laundrette on a 20 day cruise? 

We've only ever used it once for our (ahem!) smalls on a 4 week land/cruise trip..    

Lots of people they are always busy, but the soundproofing is excellent and there is no noise in the corridor.  However I have never had an inside cabin next to the launderette, which could be a bit noisy.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Lots of people they are always busy, but the soundproofing is excellent and there is no noise in the corridor.  However I have never had an inside cabin next to the launderette, which could be a bit noisy.

Thanks John.

However, my wife is not a P&O cruising fan, and she will only go if we have a balcony cabin, so no worries about an inside cabin.  

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

It is not the noise form the launderette itself, that bothers me, but the groups of people who collect outside early morning to have a good chat in loud voices.  

Re the deluxe cabins: my feeling is that once you've done a cruise in a deluxe you won’t want to go back to a standard. That is only my opinion of course but I'm a bit of a spoilt brat and really like my comforts. I have sailed on Azura on C and D deck and Ventura twice on E deck. The E deck cabins do have a bit of a noise issue if you are an early bird but it hasn't stopped me booking one next August on Ventura. The added attraction for me, apart from the wonderful amount of space, is that they have a bath. Highly recommended! 

Re the launderette: I do use the launderette - especially when travelling with the granddaughters. They are so well insulated that if your cabin is nearby, noise isn't  a bother either. Having said that, on a cruise in 2018, there was a dreadful row in one of the launderettes (I was there - this isn't just hearsay) because someone had taken out the contents of one completed cycle machine and replaced it with their own. The owner of the outed clothes returned with her husband and the 2 men had a real set-to. It was all very Eastenders! 

I hope everyone is well. Have a great day everyone. Best wishes. Jane.x