7 hours ago, tring said:

It is not the noise form the launderette itself, that bothers me, but the groups of people who collect outside early morning to have a good chat in loud voices.  

I have not experienced that, plenty of chatter inside but not much loitering in the corridors.

43 minutes ago, Beckett said:

......when travelling with the granddaughters. They are so well insulated that if your cabin is nearby, noise isn't  a bother either.......

Wot!

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I have not experienced that, plenty of chatter inside but not much loitering in the corridors.

That too, but it is the queue which builds up outside before the 8am opening that bothers (mainly me) as we are not early risers and the queue can turn up quite a while before 8am kick off. 

I mentioned to our long experienced P&O cabin steward on one long cruise that I was trying to decide if I was feeling brave enough to use the Launderette that day.  In a heartfelt voice, he said, "Barbara, I have worked near to the Launderette in the past and if there were any arguments started, I would run, either this way or that way."  He went on to explain that if one of the parties saw him, they would turn to him and say, "did you hear (her/him) say that", and likewise for the other party.  Hence he could easily get stuck in the middle of a wrangle and of course could not come down in favour of either as he would be damned in either case. I do not know how common such laundry incidents are on other lines, but have never experienced any bad feeling at all on Fred or Swan Hellenic and have used their launderettes far more, though that may partly be because of their older clientelle.

Edited by tring
15 hours ago, wowzz said:

Looks like a great cabin. I think the chances that I will get it are virtually zero!

Think there are about 4 like this and surprisingly they don't all get snapped up as people don't like aft cabins. Having said that we have had to book another aft cabin on Ventura for 2022 and it looks brilliant. I think Kalos / Graham have had that one and posted photos for me - sorry can't remember where it might be but will look. Deep balcony, very quiet and private and no obstruction.

21 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Think there are about 4 like this and surprisingly they don't all get snapped up as people don't like aft cabins. Having said that we have had to book another aft cabin on Ventura for 2022 and it looks brilliant. I think Kalos / Graham have had that one and posted photos for me - sorry can't remember where it might be but will look. Deep balcony, very quiet and private and no obstruction.

Hi, found it. The photo was taken by Graham of the cabin we have booked. Looks a great balcony.

Think he posted the photos on the 12th December

Aft cabins Ventura - no beam ! - P&O Cruises ( UK ) - Cruise Critic Community

Most we have ever cruised in one go is a 17nts and we have, or should I say the wife 😄, never used or even noticed a launderette on any cruise ship we have been on.

I could never understand why people would want to use the lauderette whilst on holiday.However after a 17 night cruise a few years ago our washing machine broke down on the first wash.Since then I use the ships launderette if on a cruise of longer than 14+ nights.

As I said previously,  if flying it may be necessary to use the laundry if you are on a long cruise or land/ cruise combo, but otherwise we avoid the launderettes.

More people get thrown off cruises after disputes in the launderettes than for any other reason  - allegedly! 

A lot of people don't know launderette etiquette. It is OK to remove someone's finished washing from a machine as long as you put it in a basket or on a clean surface, NOT the floor.

What you don't do is put your washing on and then go on a shore excursion, or remove the baskets from the room and take them back to your cabin for your personal use. The captain on Oceana had something to say about that. Or how about this one that I witnessed myself. A machine had an out of order notice on It. A man came in, removed the notice from the machine, loaded and started it and left taking the notice with him. i was gobsmacked.

On 4/10/2021 at 3:32 PM, tring said:

Looking carefully at the deck plans, I have now remembered what put us off the D deck cabins is that the big balconies on deck C extend over the cabin area as well as the balcony of the Superior Deluxe balconies, which made us think we can be driven mad by balcony furniture above scrapping just above the sitting area of those cabins.

I'm bumping this comment in the hope that someone with experience of D deck cabins will respond. 

Many thanks.

29 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm bumping this comment in the hope that someone with experience of D deck cabins will respond. 

Many thanks.

When Presto posted those balcony pics the floor was green, so perhaps all the balcony floors have a covering which stop or stops scraping noises if the furniture is moved.  Yes, someone may be able to confirm that, (or not).

13 hours ago, ann141 said:

I could never understand why people would want to use the lauderette whilst on holiday.However after a 17 night cruise a few years ago our washing machine broke down on the first wash.Since then I use the ships launderette if on a cruise of longer than 14+ nights.

I won't use the launderette on the ship, because I don't like drying my clothes in a tumble dryer.

Avril

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Many thanks.

9 hours ago, tring said:

When Presto posted those balcony pics the floor was green, so perhaps all the balcony floors have a covering which stop or stops scraping noises if the furniture is moved.  Yes, someone may be able to confirm that, (or not).

I have stayed in the D cabins on a Princess ship and never heard noise from the balcony above whilst in the room.  It is true the balconies have a kind of rubber matting which would mute any sound. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer
1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I won't use the launderette on the ship, because I don't like drying my clothes in a tumble dryer.

Avril

I know its not very good for the environment but as I hate ironing I dry most of my clothes in the tumble dryer!

40 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I know its not very good for the environment but as I hate ironing I dry most of my clothes in the tumble dryer!

I used to complain to my Wife about her always using the dryer.

I put out washing line one fine day and told her to use it.

The next day after my shower I said what's wrong with this towel it's very rough, she just smiled and said that's your fault.

I have learned my lesson and don't complain about the dryer anymore.

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Strange that Avril, if it wasn't for the running costs we would always use the tumble dryer. We find the clothes come out softer and with hardly any creases.

47 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Strange that Avril, if it wasn't for the running costs we would always use the tumble dryer. We find the clothes come out softer and with hardly any creases.

It's nothing to do with the running costs John, it's not good for the fibres. Fresh air is best and airing on the radiators if needed. I'm set in my ways to some extent I suppose.

Avril

Just to give a summary of where I am, thanks to you all. Still have aft suite cabins as our first choice for the 20 day Canary repo to Malta in March 2023. As a second choice we have gone for mid ship aft deluxe balcony cabins, starboard side. Hopefully sufficiently aft to avoid cigarette smoke, but being starboard we will still get the sun when cruising east.

Price for these cabins, including flights, and taking OBC into account worked out at £95 pppn. Seems pretty good to me.

Just got to wait to the 29th now to see what we get!

38 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Just to give a summary of where I am, thanks to you all. Still have aft suite cabins as our first choice for the 20 day Canary repo to Malta in March 2023. As a second choice we have gone for mid ship aft deluxe balcony cabins, starboard side. Hopefully sufficiently aft to avoid cigarette smoke, but being starboard we will still get the sun when cruising east.

Price for these cabins, including flights, and taking OBC into account worked out at £95 pppn. Seems pretty good to me.

Just got to wait to the 29th now to see what we get!

We're very tempted by either this cruise or the 19 nighter, depending on which balconies are available.  Don't want to take our chances with pre-registering and not getting specific cabins choice(s) so going to chance me arm and book on 26 April.

52 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

We're very tempted by either this cruise or the 19 nighter, depending on which balconies are available.  Don't want to take our chances with pre-registering and not getting specific cabins choice(s) so going to chance me arm and book on 26 April.

I just told my TA which exact cabins  I would accept. Could you not do the same?

On 4/11/2021 at 4:59 PM, majortom10 said:

Most we have ever cruised in one go is a 17nts and we have, or should I say the wife 😄, never used or even noticed a launderette on any cruise ship we have been on.

Same here. If we can't survive a couple of weeks without doing the washing, the cabin steward will sort it.

On 4/11/2021 at 11:32 PM, davecttr said:

A lot of people don't know launderette etiquette. It is OK to remove someone's finished washing from a machine as long as you put it in a basket or on a clean surface, NOT the floor.

What you don't do is put your washing on and then go on a shore excursion, or remove the baskets from the room and take them back to your cabin for your personal use. The captain on Oceana had something to say about that. Or how about this one that I witnessed myself. A machine had an out of order notice on It. A man came in, removed the notice from the machine, loaded and started it and left taking the notice with him. i was gobsmacked.

Dress code and laundry etiquette!. Well today has certainly been a school day🤣

14 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I just told my TA which exact cabins  I would accept. Could you not do the same?

Could, but we get additional OBC due to previous job.  Have booked direct for the last couple of years and tend to prefer it that way.