CDC Covid testing for international flights

2 hours ago, Tapi said:

I wanted to test the system to see if I could indeed get a free test here in GA, so I went on the website for the department of health to attempt to schedule a free covid test. It did ask if I've had symptoms, been exposed, if I've had or if I'm the caregiver of someone over the age of 60. I answered NO to all of the questions to see if it would allow me to proceed, and it did. It said that I'm eligible to take a test and took me to the next screen to schedule the appointment.

Here in pa our testing sites ask all those same health questions and if you say no to all of them then you are not eligible for free test.   Most of the sites ask if testing for travel.  If yes, then you pay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

actually it takes 48-72 hours.  I used it in December when covid testing was very high and it was difficult to get an appointment.  We ordered the kit in mid November, submitted our samples in a FedEx pickup box early Monday am and had my husband's results by Wednesday and my results online by Thursday am.  Our flight was Thursday.  We had our results loaded into the Bahamas app and in about 20 minutes got the green light to travel.  Part of your cost was the FedEx shipping.  It was easy.

That's good to know.  

4 hours ago, Tippyton said:

In a related story, hundreds of thousands of people are arriving at our southern border on foot as no negative testing for entry is required.

As were the rioters this summer that were allowed to gather and without masks. P-O-L-I-T-I-C-S

They lose all credibility when these things happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lgonquin said:

Testing-Testing-Testing.

Tell me again why they want us to get vaccinated?  Wasn't there supposed to be a positive outcome?

Seems even with vaccinations, they are moving the goal post.  Nothing changes.  Nothing for the better anyway.

Very disappointing to say the least.

Doubt they thought the vaccine would make it so soon in record shattering time. They want control. For anyone saying we need to know how the vaccine performs- it is the same as any other vaccine (see: Flu shot effectiveness).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Ya.  I know.  I mean who cares that vaccinations will help control the spread (including variants), help us to achieve herd immunity, and keep more people from getting severely ill and dying.  The testing stuff is just crap and a total inconvenience. 🙄

It is crap when someone with zero symptoms (false positive? Seen plenty of those myself and also high profile people) tests positive and has to isolate for 10 days stuck in a Mexico hotel room at their expense. 

8 minutes ago, RoyalC said:

It is crap when someone with zero symptoms (false positive? Seen plenty of those myself and also high profile people) tests positive and has to isolate for 10 days stuck in a Mexico hotel room at their expense. 

Zero symptoms does not mean it is not a COVID case.  Plenty of people who have been infected are asymptomatic and that is a large factor in how the virus has spread in this country and elsewhere.  Testing is not "crap" and is necessary to control spread.  People take a risk when they travel outside the US and have been advised against doing so by the CDC.  People also leave the US with full knowledge that a test will be required to return and that testing positive will prohibit that return.  If folks are so naive, foolish, or just plain stupid to think that it will be otherwise, then that is on them and they should simply suck it up and enjoy their extended stay in Mexico.

• Like 3

Just now, harkinmr said:

Zero symptoms does not mean it is not a COVID case.  Plenty of people who have been infected are asymptomatic and that is a large factor in how the virus has spread in this country and elsewhere.  Testing is not "crap" and is necessary to control spread.  People take a risk when they travel outside the US and have been advised against doing so by the CDC.  People also leave the US with full knowledge that a test will be required to return and that testing positive will prohibit that return.  If folks are so naive, foolish, or just plain stupid to think that it will be otherwise, then that is on them and they should simply suck it up and enjoy their extended stay in Mexico.

It is crap when the same symptomless people test negative a day or two later because of false positives. The same people that isolated. Had a relative test positive with zero symptoms and test negative the next day (flying to Aruba so had to clear quickly)- he had the flu two months prior so maybe that set it off- it was not the quick test either.

Also, people left the United States thinking they would not have to test- guess what, Biden changed that on day one so people either with booked vacations or while on vacation got a surprise at the executive order requiring testing in January. You tell them to suck it up in that case.

14 minutes ago, RoyalC said:

It is crap when the same symptomless people test negative a day or two later because of false positives. The same people that isolated. Had a relative test positive with zero symptoms and test negative the next day (flying to Aruba so had to clear quickly)- he had the flu two months prior so maybe that set it off- it was not the quick test either.

Also, people left the United States thinking they would not have to test- guess what, Biden changed that on day one so people either with booked vacations or while on vacation got a surprise at the executive order requiring testing in January. You tell them to suck it up in that case.

If you test negative after a positive test and are cleared for travel, then you can return.  And here's a news flash!  The testing requirement for overseas travel was put in place on January 12th...when TRUMP was still president.  And yes, if you travel outside the US then you run a risk of a positive COVID test and that should be kept in the back of everyone's mind.  This will be true for future cruises as well, especially those leaving out of foreign ports.  There is a risk involved which may impact your cruise or even your return to the US.  Everyone is responsible for their own actions and for being well-informed.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Tippyton said:

In a related story, hundreds of thousands of people are arriving at our southern border on foot as no negative testing for entry is required.

They are in for a rude awakening when they try to check in for their cruises and they are turned away for not having a Covid test. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, lgonquin said:

Testing-Testing-Testing.

Tell me again why they want us to get vaccinated?  Wasn't there supposed to be a positive outcome?

Seems even with vaccinations, they are moving the goal post.  Nothing changes.  Nothing for the better anyway.

Very disappointing to say the least.

Do you understand the different requirements in place here, and why?

1) Royal Caribbean is requiring vaccinations. The testing requirement for those under 18 is solely because of the lack of an approved vaccine for those under 16 right now.

2) The Bahamas, and the US CDC for the return flight, is requiring test results.

The CDC could create a coherent system, but they've abrogated any interest in doing so in favor of abandoning the cruise industry for now. They could even make significant recommendations but seem content to ignore vaccination for the most part right now. Considering how many Americans can't comprehend the simplest instructions these days, maybe I can understand why the CDC doesn't want to provide separate guidance to those vaccinated vs those not vaccinated. But I consider this a significant failure in messaging leading to many people completely ignoring everything from the CDC and associated authorities as well as disengaging their own brains.

No goalpost has been moved.

All things considered, I'm finding myself somewhat happy that there are two separate gates that cruisers will have to get through to board the ship, which should significantly minimize the chance for idiots to board. If cruising were going out the the US today, I suspect there'd be a lot easier chance of people evading whatever requirements start out in place. The airlines will require some proof you meet The Bahamas requirements for a negative test. The Bahamas will require both that negative test, reviewing it again, perhaps with a more critical eye towards forgeries, and require passports (seems many an anti-vaxxer is also reluctant for a "national identification" like a passport -- curiously). Finally Royal Caribbean will require proof of vaccination and proof of a negative test from those under 18.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tapi said:

They are in for a rude awakening when they try to check in for their cruises and they are turned away for not having a Covid test. 

And they'll be accommodated with low-paying jobs, providing downward pressure on wages for those helping us aboard. 

Everyone is acting like getting a COVID test is the most difficult thing in the world. If you look hard enough, you'll find a free test. If you don't want to research, fork up the cash. 

Also, the first sailing is still 2 months away and regulations could easily change. The Bahamas could waive the testing requirement if you're fully vaccinated, which some countries are already doing. Everyone all riled up over something 2+ months away. My cruise on Adventure isn't for another 4 months. I'm just going to sit back and relax until it gets closer to time. I'll figure it out then. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, natefish95 said:

Everyone all riled up over something 2+ months away. My cruise on Adventure isn't for another 4 months. I'm just going to sit back and relax until it gets closer to time. I'll figure it out then. 

Much easier and less stressful to just sit back and relax until cruising resumes in the US to book something.  When that finally happens I'll decide if cruising is still worth my time and effort.

I love cruising, but I will watch all of you willing to jump through hoops just to get back on a ship. (And I don't mean being vaccinated or having a test - which I fully support.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I wonder if you can do the $40 health visa since you are not actually staying in bahamas for the entire trip.  Has Rcl published any guidelines on that?

I know a lot of countries/islands are requiring purchase of health visa.  Aruba has been doing this since last summer.  Is Bermuda doing this too?  

RCCL has not put out any guidance. They said that they would send “something” a month before departure. The Bahamas requires you to take a follow up test if you are staying more than a few days,,, which you can’t do if you are in the middle of the ocean. We’ll see what RCCL negotiates with The Bahamas over the next few weeks. 2 months to first cruise. We’ll see what those people say. 

1 hour ago, mek said:

Much easier and less stressful to just sit back and relax until cruising resumes in the US to book something.  When that finally happens I'll decide if cruising is still worth my time and effort.

I love cruising, but I will watch all of you willing to jump through hoops just to get back on a ship. (And I don't mean being vaccinated or having a test - which I fully support.)

There really aren't that many hoops to jump through in my opinion. For me, booking a flight from DC to Nassau and booking a hotel the night before is no more different than flying to Miami and booking a hotel. I'd Uber in Miami, but I'll take a taxi in Nassau. I even booked my flights through Air2Sea, which Royal subsidized. First class from DC was about $500 RT whereas on the American Airlines website it was $700+.

The Bahamas requires you to fill out a health visa, which is very straightforward from what I've seen. The cost is $50, but Royal is also giving you $50 OBC to offset that cost. The only other thing is to get a COVID test 5 days before arriving. I live in a big city, so not that difficult to find a place offering free tests. 

I don't mind a little adventure when I travel. The benefits of a cruise far outweigh the extra steps needed to take this unique vacation. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, natefish95 said:

There really aren't that many hoops to jump through in my opinion. For me, booking a flight from DC to Nassau and booking a hotel the night before is no more different than flying to Miami and booking a hotel. I'd Uber in Miami, but I'll take a taxi in Nassau. I even booked my flights through Air2Sea, which Royal subsidized. First class from DC was about $500 RT whereas on the American Airlines website it was $700+.

The Bahamas requires you to fill out a health visa, which is very straightforward from what I've seen. The cost is $50, but Royal is also giving you $50 OBC to offset that cost. The only other thing is to get a COVID test 5 days before arriving. I live in a big city, so not that difficult to find a place offering free tests. 

I don't mind a little adventure when I travel. The benefits of a cruise far outweigh the extra steps needed to take this unique vacation. 

I'm sincerely glad that you are happy and I will be watching the summer cruises with great interest. Every place I would enjoy cruising during the warmer months is off limits right now and I'm not interested in the Caribbean unless it's cold where I live.

Good luck with your cruise.

7 hours ago, harkinmr said:

If you test negative after a positive test and are cleared for travel, then you can return.  And here's a news flash!  The testing requirement for overseas travel was put in place on January 12th...when TRUMP was still president.  And yes, if you travel outside the US then you run a risk of a positive COVID test and that should be kept in the back of everyone's mind.  This will be true for future cruises as well, especially those leaving out of foreign ports.  There is a risk involved which may impact your cruise or even your return to the US.  Everyone is responsible for their own actions and for being well-informed.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

The us should have had the requirement in place way before Jan 2021, like many other countries did.

People amaze me, they are ok with getting the test to go to aruba, bahamas, etc etc but complain if one is needed when flying into the US.  

• Like 1