Jump to content

Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022


TayanaLorna
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, dcl999 said:

The Abbott test I found was a rapid antigen test as is the one Delta is selling. If yours is a home PCR test please let me know the name. 
Hopefully Iceland will decide to allow antigen tests for vaccinated travelers. They specifically do not allow an antigen test and  require a PCR test for non vaccinated travelers. 

Where did you read that antigen is not allowed?  Currently

 

8 minutes ago, PeabodyMa said:

I thought Iceland requires a PCR Test, not an antigen test.

Where did you read that Iceland requires a PCR test?  I saw an article linked below in another cruise critic topic that says antigen or PCR, but would prefer to see something more official.

https://www.icelandreview.com/politics/covid-19-in-iceland-all-travellers-required-to-present-negative-test-before-boarding/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, JER/MPR said:

We used the Abbott home test, bought directly from them for about $45.  Very easy,  you call in when ready to take the test,  about 45 minutes total and have the results emailed to you.  We used it for our return to US JFK tomorrow.  I believe it is the only home test excepted by CDC for this use. 

Thanks for the info.  I saw this.  Did you drop off the results to a lab in Iceland for analysis?  Also, I wonder if this would work for travel to Iceland, or if it's just for return.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Retired2016Cruiser said:

Thanks for the info.  I saw this.  Did you drop off the results to a lab in Iceland for analysis?  Also, I wonder if this would work for travel to Iceland, or if it's just for return.

We used it in Iceland hotel room, logged on to their website,  told how long wait for ‘test proctor’ 30 minutes for us.  They came on video chat guided us through the nasal swap which you add to the test liquid all provided in test kit.  Wait 15 minutes results are done in front of you.  Really easy.  They  email you results too.  We just showed that at airport KEF.  Waiting for our flight now.  Iceland is still working on the new testing details I believe, but betting it will be excepted here too.

Edited by JER/MPR
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Retired2016Cruiser said:

Where did you read that antigen is not allowed?  Currently

 

Where did you read that Iceland requires a PCR test?  I saw an article linked below in another cruise critic topic that says antigen or PCR, but would prefer to see something more official.

https://www.icelandreview.com/politics/covid-19-in-iceland-all-travellers-required-to-present-negative-test-before-boarding/

 

The covid.is website has finally been updated. 
These travelers do not have to present a negative PCR test. FROM JULY 27TH: All passengers with vaccination against COVID-19 or proof of prior COVID-19 infection need to present a negative PCR test certificate against COVID-19. Rapid antigen tests are also valid. The test must have been taken within 72 hours before departure on the first leg of the journey.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If anybody traveling soon uses the Abbott test and then finds it's accepted by Iceland, I'd love to hear about it ASAP.  Iceland doesn't say that certain test results are NOT going to be accepted, but it does make it clear that the person who clears you in Iceland is the one making the decision to clear or not clear you. So I'm being a little cautious. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Retired2016Cruiser said:

Where did you read that antigen is not allowed?  Currently

 

Where did you read that Iceland requires a PCR test?  I saw an article linked below in another cruise critic topic that says antigen or PCR, but would prefer to see something more official.

https://www.icelandreview.com/politics/covid-19-in-iceland-all-travellers-required-to-present-negative-test-before-boarding/

 

NOW the Rapid Antigen Test is also listed as an acceptable Covid Test as of July 26th. 

https://www.covid.is/sub-categories/vaccination-and-antibodies

 

"FROM JULY 26TH: All passengers with vaccination against COVID-19 or proof of prior COVID-19 infection need to present anegative PCR test certificate against COVID-19. Rapid antigen tests are also valid. The test must have been taken within 72 hours before departure on the first leg of the journey."

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Curious - I have read on another blog that someone had ordered a set of 5 tests - but they were all registered to him so he could not share them with family and friends. JER/MPR was this the case for you as well - e.g., did you have to order tests separately for each of you or were you able to order a set of tests and just share them? There are 4 of us and we are extending our trip on land after the cruise so we'll have to manage our own tests for the return home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see options discussed for ordering tests here:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/abbott-at-home-covid-test/

 

There are links in the article for ordering 1, 2, 3 or 6 packs of tests. The article also suggests bringing along an extra test just in case you have an inconclusive test. Or if you have a positive test you can retest to confirm the results.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JER/MPR said:

We used it in Iceland hotel room, logged on to their website,  told how long wait for ‘test proctor’ 30 minutes for us.  They came on video chat guided us through the nasal swap which you add to the test liquid all provided in test kit.  Wait 15 minutes results are done in front of you.  Really easy.  They  email you results too.  We just showed that at airport KEF.  Waiting for our flight now.  Iceland is still working on the new testing details I believe, but betting it will be excepted here too.

Thank you! I had no idea you could do this without visiting or mailing samples to a lab. Hoping Iceland will accept that for entry. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For those who have flown out of Boston Logan how early did you get to the Airport?  We are flying on IcelandAir 11:50 AM flight and from what I can tell it looks like we are departing from level 2. If I’m not mistaken that is the one with no services and usually no line?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Help! My husband has 2 CDC cards -- one for each of his vaccinations.  We are not sure if the state health department will/can merge them onto one card.  Will Iceland registration and Viking allow a scan of two cards?  I've heard of others who have their vaccines split between the front and back of the CDC card, so guessing their situation is similar.  Can anyone help or know where I can get info?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/9/2021 at 8:36 PM, id4elizabeth said:

I've read that tipping is unusual and not expected in Iceland.  Having never been I cannot verify this for sure, but that's what all my guidebooks say.  They also say credit cards are very widely accepted even in taxis.

Can I totally rely on my credit card for this cruise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How long does it take to go through immigration and customs after arrival in KEF?  Our flight arrives at 6:40am.  There are about 10 flights arriving around that time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/20/2021 at 12:44 AM, dcl999 said:

The Abbott test I found was a rapid antigen test as is the one Delta is selling. If yours is a home PCR test please let me know the name. 
Hopefully Iceland will decide to allow antigen tests for vaccinated travelers. They specifically do not allow an antigen test and  require a PCR test for non vaccinated travelers. 

We used the Abbott test to return to USA, not enter Iceland.  We heard there that Icelandic officials are evaluating allowing antigen test   It worked great for that and was very easy to take when we had free time. The nasal swab was much easier then I expected,  lower nostril nasal swab (not the deeper nasopharyngeal swab).   Here is a link to the test we used: BinaxNOW: What You Need to Know | Abbott Newsroom

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, peribit said:

How long does it take to go through immigration and customs after arrival in KEF?  Our flight arrives at 6:40am.  There are about 10 flights arriving around that time.

Plan on over 1-1/2 hours after leaving the plane. We only needed to show the barcode last Thursday (7/16) besides Immigration and Customs but next week passengers will need to produce the test result which could be slower. Slowest line is Immigration. Yes, it is crowded.

Edited by Heartgrove
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JER/MPR said:

We used the Abbott test to return to USA, not enter Iceland.  We heard there that Icelandic officials are evaluating allowing antigen test   It worked great for that and was very easy to take when we had free time. The nasal swab was much easier then I expected,  lower nostril nasal swab (not the deeper nasopharyngeal swab).   Here is a link to the test we used: BinaxNOW: What You Need to Know | Abbott Newsroom

 

The directions there are for home testing - not the monitored procedure you will need to follow for returning to the US. If you purchase your kit at a local drug store there is a very good chance it is not acceptable for international testing for entry to the US nor for entry to Iceland. Please see the link in post #2684 for information on how to determine which test you can use - hint - the box indicates it includes an app for your smart phone. Although they are likely identical tests the test you take for entry/re-entry has to be a monitored test.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

And can someone tell me what the Viking Voyager app is for?  I'm familiar with My Viking Journey site online, but not sure what the app does.  Can you search for excursions and book?  Chef's Table and Manfredi's?  What else, if anything?

When it worked (pre-Covid) you could see the daily, menus in all venues, book reservations, see your onboard account. Not sure about booking excursions but it reminded you of them and dining reservations by notifying you 30 minutes or so ahead. We loved it!

 

On our Iceland cruise just completed it worked haphazardly. Sometimes all was good, other times it would be shut down immediately after opening. We tried deleting and reloading the app and that helped for a little bit but it quickly began to fail again. We finally gave up. 
 

I wonder if the app wasn’t updated when Apple did a big update since I think I heard some android folks say it was working fine for them. I just hope they fix it before we sail again. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, PeabodyMa said:

Exactly where on the ship is the PCR Testing Lab located?

It’s on deck 7, near Wintergarden I recall. Just a door marked Laboratory is all you can see. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, AKexplorer said:

The directions there are for home testing - not the monitored procedure you will need to follow for returning to the US. If you purchase your kit at a local drug store there is a very good chance it is not acceptable for international testing for entry to the US nor for entry to Iceland. Please see the link in post #2684 for information on how to determine which test you can use - hint - the box indicates it includes an app for your smart phone. Although they are likely identical tests the test you take for entry/re-entry has to be a monitored test.

Sorry my bad I'll blame jet lag , we used: https://www.globalpointofcare.abbott/en/product-details/binaxnow-covid-19-home-test-us.html  Blue box which was monitored by virtual proctor.  I detailed this in my earlier post.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...