Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

1 hour ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Linda and I are Viking cruisers through and through, but this trip we’re traveling on our own. As I mentioned in another thread, we’ll be in Reykjavik on June 27 when the Sky is in port. We plan to swing by about 10 am, check out the ship, and call to the pax on their balconies, “please, throw us some cinnamon rolls!”

I guess you won't be in Reykjavik June 24 and 25.  However, if you are, you may get a chance to see Sky before the 27th.  Reykjavik's port website shows Sky is expected to arrive at 8 AM on June 24. (I guess Viking's going in early to get ready.)  So if you're there on those days, you may want to swing by the port area to see her!  If there are gates for the port area and you can't get in, you could probably see her by going to, or taking, the little Elding ferry in the port area.  It goes over to the small, nearby island of Videy. The small ferry dock is just north of the Skarfabakki berth where Sky will likely be.  It would be cool to see her come in, although I wouldn't count on her being there right at 8.  She could come late or early!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, shipster60 said:

We have rented a car through Enterprise to be picked up at the Airport and dropped off at Skarfabakki Harbour.  Does anyone know where the Enterprise drop off location is compared to the Viking port? 

Peregrina's screenshot in a previous post shows the general location of Enterprise and Europcar.    And the long, thick docking area there on the eastern side of land (not the little tiny pier, which is for a small ferry) is Skarfabakki.  I think two cruise ships can dock at Skarfabakki.  My guess is that it isn't too far to walk from Enterprise to the ship, but luggage makes it more complicated.  However, I'd ask the Enterprise folks how far the ship will likely be,  and also about the possibility of someone being able to drive you to the ship.

Assuming they can't, and you don't want to walk far with luggage, you might want to drop the luggage off at the ship (you'll be directed there), then drop the car off, and walk back to check into the ship.    

You may be able to find more info in the Ports of Call section on Cruise Critic, or the TripAdvisor Forums.   

Here's a webcam for Skarfabakki Harbor: Live Webcam Skarfabakki Harbour, Reykjavík, Iceland (webcamtaxi.com)

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shipster60 said:

We have rented a car through Enterprise to be picked up at the Airport and dropped off at Skarfabakki Harbour.  Does anyone know where the Enterprise drop off location is compared to the Viking port? 

You got me curious, so I went on Google Earth and put in Enterprise Skarfabakki Harbour.  Here's a screenshot of the harbor area.  The white building at the bottom is where Google Earth says Enterprise is located.  The long pier on the left is where the ship will be docked.  I'm thinking perhaps I see a covered area that might serve as their "terminal" of sorts, or perhaps just a place for luggage storage.  It's hard to see in the screenshot, but it's basically an area with a rippling metal roof but no walls. 

I think Google Earth has a way of estimating meters/miles from one point to another, but I didn't try to use it.  But in any case, the Enterprise office looks pretty close to the cruise ship berth, so I think you did well!  

skarfabakki harb berth enterprise covered terminal.jpg

1 hour ago, shipster60 said:

The Google Earth Street View is unfortunately from 2013. It shows the building on Skarfagardar that Enterprise is located as temporarily closed. The distance to the berth for the Viking Sky looks to be about a good city block, all open parking lots in case of bad weather.

Jack

July 17-24 cruise

There are webcams of the Reykjavk Harbor on the Port's website. Currently the Miobakki - Reykjavik webcam is showing the USCGC Eagle that is on a Midshipman cruise. A little history about the Eagle is that it was received as a war reparation from Germany after WWII. It is based in New Groton, CT. The Eagle  does annual cruises with the Midshipman from the USCG Academy. It is actually sail propelled. I have three former shipmates who at various times have been attached to her.

The third video down on the page is the one we all are interested in! It is Skarfabakki North- Reykjavik which focuses on Skaffabakki 312 and Skarfabakki 315. These are the two position on the pier that the Viking Sky and Viking Jupiter will dock at when in Rekjavik. We should see the Viking Sky there in 11 days.

https://www.faxafloahafnir.is/vefmyndavel-faxafloahafna/

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

There are webcams of the Reykjavk Harbor on the Port's website. Currently the Miobakki - Reykjavik webcam is showing the USCGC Eagle that is on a Midshipman cruise. A little history about the Eagle is that it was received as a war reparation from Germany after WWII. It is based in New Groton, CT. The Eagle  does annual cruises with the Midshipman from the USCG Academy. It is actually sail propelled. I have three former shipmates who at various times have been attached to her.

The third video down on the page is the one we all are interested in! It is Skarfabakki North- Reykjavik which focuses on Skaffabakki 312 and Skarfabakki 315. These are the two position on the pier that the Viking Sky and Viking Jupiter will dock at when in Rekjavik. We should see the Viking Sky there in 11 days.

My husband has been on the Eagle several times.  That was when he was a child and his father was a Coast Guard photographer.  His father sailed on the ship many times.  His favorite port was Port-of-Prince.  Many many years ago.  We always look for the Eagle in our sailings.. Last time we saw her was in Cartagena.  She is beautiful!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

Best of all, it's not raining!

2 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Thanks so much for the webcams of the ports.   Its nearly 1:30A and still plenty of light.    Will have to remember the clothes pins to keep the cabin curtains tightly closed ;0)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Peregrina's screenshot in a previous post shows the general location of Enterprise and Europcar.    And the long, thick docking area there on the eastern side of land (not the little tiny pier, which is for a small ferry) is Skarfabakki.  I think two cruise ships can dock at Skarfabakki.  My guess is that it isn't too far to walk from Enterprise to the ship, but luggage makes it more complicated.  However, I'd ask the Enterprise folks how far the ship will likely be,  and also about the possibility of someone being able to drive you to the ship.

Assuming they can't, and you don't want to walk far with luggage, you might want to drop the luggage off at the ship (you'll be directed there), then drop the car off, and walk back to check into the ship.    

You may be able to find more info in the Ports of Call section on Cruise Critic, or the TripAdvisor Forums.   

Here's a webcam for Skarfabakki Harbor: Live Webcam Skarfabakki Harbour, Reykjavík, Iceland (webcamtaxi.com)

Thanks to you and Peregrina for directing me to Google maps. That was our thought, that we could drop our bags first, then the walk would be easier. The Enterprise location is now a "drop-only" location, so I doubt there will be anyone attending it. I plan to call for more information tomorrow. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dukefan said:

I see where the Viking Sky is now at anchor off of Skagen, Denmark and showing its next port is Reykjavik. I haven't seen any estimated arrival time & date yet.  

The port calendar shows her arriving on June 24. They have the dock blocked out from 8am forward.

Ignore the map. My browser and this website don't like one another and once I drop an image into a editing window, it is there until I hit submit -- whether I see it or not, whether I try to delete it or not.  The best I can hope for is that my attempt to reduce it in size actually works

image.png

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, shipster60 said:

Thanks to you and Peregrina for directing me to Google maps. That was our thought, that we could drop our bags first, then the walk would be easier. The Enterprise location is now a "drop-only" location, so I doubt there will be anyone attending it. I plan to call for more information tomorrow. 

I”’d be interested in what you learn. We also have a car booked with them. We are arriving a day early and figured it might be nice to have a car to take us around, park at the hotel and then drop off at the port on day of sailing. 

9 hours ago, shipster60 said:

Hi Shipster60. We also have secured a rental car from Enterprise and plan to drop off at the same location. We are on the July 17 sailing. If you get anymore info, please post. I will do the same.

As of this morning, on the official Iceland site.  The first cruisers are out of luck!

Announcements

Border screening of vaccinated travellers stopped after 1 July

June 14, 2021

The Minister of Health has decided, in keeping with the recommendation of the Chief Epidemiologist, to retain the current measures to contain the spread of infections at the borders until 1 July. After that time, the measures will be relaxed by cease the screening of those who present a certificate of vaccination or prior infection with COVID-19. Additionally, children will no longer be screened for COVID-19 upon arrival in Iceland.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

As of this morning, on the official Iceland site.  The first cruisers are out of luck!

Announcements

Border screening of vaccinated travellers stopped after 1 July

June 14, 2021

The Minister of Health has decided, in keeping with the recommendation of the Chief Epidemiologist, to retain the current measures to contain the spread of infections at the borders until 1 July. After that time, the measures will be relaxed by cease the screening of those who present a certificate of vaccination or prior infection with COVID-19. Additionally, children will no longer be screened for COVID-19 upon arrival in Iceland.

Still,  I won't breath a sigh of relief until I hear the Minister of Health's announcement at the end of June.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Still,  I won't breath a sigh of relief until I hear the Minister of Health's announcement at the end of June.

Yes, I remember we were all excited about the June 15 announcement.  Ultimately, until we get to the airport, we won’t know what they are doing with us!

• Like 3

I just hope that Icelandic airport authorities won't single me out as they did for years as THAT GUY.
In past decades, every time I hit Heathrow, Frankfort etc. I would be called out of line, surrounded by 3 or so security personnel who questioned me for 15 minutes and searched my carry on. My best guess was that my red hair and whatever had me somehow profiled as an IRA type person. Hair no longer red.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

I just hope that Icelandic airport authorities won't single me out as they did for years as THAT GUY.

This makes me smile. 

Don’t forget the US authorities have been treating the rest of the world as “THAT GUY” whenever anybody tried to enter the US at one of your airports! 

Once we are through immigration control you guys always make us Brits very welcome. 

11 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Email -- to your TA if you use one, else directly to you.

Still haven’t gotten ours.  I guess I will have to call the TA this afternoon.  She’s just back from vacation, so I’ll give her e few hours to catch up.  Just want to make sure they do t have other instructions about sending in the proof of vaccination.