Cruising with three young children

Hi everyone! We're looking to possibly take our family of five on a RCC next year--the last time we cruised we were a family of four, so adding a third child into the mix is new! It looks like we'd have to book two rooms as suite prices are still pretty high. Has anyone booked two rooms and not used one? Our kids are still young and can all sleep on the pullout. Doesn't look like connecting rooms are an option so being in separate parts of the ship aren't ideal. Any other tips/tricks for cruising with three little kiddos?

Thanks!

39 minutes ago, Celeste548 said:

Hi everyone! We're looking to possibly take our family of five on a RCC next year--the last time we cruised we were a family of four, so adding a third child into the mix is new! It looks like we'd have to book two rooms as suite prices are still pretty high. Has anyone booked two rooms and not used one? Our kids are still young and can all sleep on the pullout. Doesn't look like connecting rooms are an option so being in separate parts of the ship aren't ideal. Any other tips/tricks for cruising with three little kiddos?

Thanks!

What ship are you considering?

14 minutes ago, Celeste548 said:

Anthem 

If one of your kids will be under 2 at the time of sailing you can add them to a cabin meant for 2 guests.  There are lots of connecting balconies and insides on Anthem that hold 2 guests.  Use a TA or call Royal to book as you won’t be able to book this way on the website. 

if all your kids are over 2 then you need to search for rooms that hold 3 guests AND rooms that hold 2 guests. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If one of your kids will be under 2 at the time of sailing you can add them to a cabin meant for 2 guests.  There are lots of connecting balconies and insides on Anthem that hold 2 guests.  Use a TA or call Royal to book as you won’t be able to book this way on the website. 

if all your kids are over 2 then you need to search for rooms that hold 3 guests AND rooms that hold 2 guests. 

Thanks! Good advice!

1 hour ago, Heymarco said:

Anthem won’t have any 5 person rooms under a Jr Suite. if you can’t find connecting cabins online then I would recommend calling.

Alternatively, Oasis class offers family state rooms in interior and ocean view categories. These cabins sleep up to six.

Thanks! We’re able to drive to port for the Anthem cruise, so extra motivation to make it work. 🙂

51 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

We had an interior family room that had a queen bed, sofa bed and two bunk beds (not ceiling mounted beds) in the room on Oasis. I know not Anthem but its an option for you.

Thanks! We can drive to port for Anthem, so I’m going to try my best to make this work. 🙂 oasis sounds like a good plan b. 

17 minutes ago, Celeste548 said:

Thanks! We’re able to drive to port for the Anthem cruise, so extra motivation to make it work. 🙂

What ages are the kids? We sailed with our three multiple times and have great memories from it. I think RC have a minimum age of 7 to use the top bunks but maybe that information is out of date. 
We normally use the 1K category of room which some people are referred to. That room is not available on Anthem. 

It’s not just a matter of having enough beds but also the extra size of the room. We tried staying in a regular room when we were four but it was just too small to do anything other than sleep in it. 

55 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

What ages are the kids? We sailed with our three multiple times and have great memories from it. I think RC have a minimum age of 7 to use the top bunks but maybe that information is out of date. 
We normally use the 1K category of room which some people are referred to. That room is not available on Anthem. 

It’s not just a matter of having enough beds but also the extra size of the room. We tried staying in a regular room when we were four but it was just too small to do anything other than sleep in it. 

They’ll be 7/5/3 when we sail. We did Anthem when they were 3/1 and it was similar, only used the room to sleep. 

14 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Typical Royal IT, it first says no connecting rooms available. However if you go to actual booking, you can book connecting rooms in interior, ocean view, and balcony for the 1/31/22 sailing. 

Here were some options from a very quick search. I had to pick one with the connecting symbol and the second room would open up if I clicked on same category for booking. Looks like you will have some options!

Interior:

BA6BB0B1-D93F-4F17-8243-860E77D79601.jpeg

Ocean View:

632BC12E-BDD7-467D-9696-D37A83A97662.jpeg

5FA37740-3E37-4448-B1C0-A3745187BE65.jpeg

Balcony:

0D62F8FB-1450-4DDB-845A-1589210E77F1.jpeg

Awesome! I’ve got some research to do after the kids go to bed. Thank you so much!!

Several ships have ultra spacious ocean views but you need to call either a travel agent or RCI to book.  Since only a few you need to book early.  I booked one for my daughters family of 6 first on Adenture but then Lifted and shifted and it is now Freedom I believe.  

• Thanks 1