Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I recently discovered that Viking Orion is doing 7 nights out of Bermuda. The stops are all Bermuda and the same as Oceania from NY with the Dockyard added.  NCL stated they plan to start cruising on starting July 4 in their letter to the CDC, and then a day later canceling the July Bermuda cruises from NY. Is there a possibility they will follow Viking and have a Bermuda to Bermuda cruise this summer?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim and Monika said:

I recently discovered that Viking Orion is doing 7 nights out of Bermuda. The stops are all Bermuda and the same as Oceania from NY with the Dockyard added.  NCL stated they plan to start cruising on starting July 4 in their letter to the CDC, and then a day later canceling the July Bermuda cruises from NY. Is there a possibility they will follow Viking and have a Bermuda to Bermuda cruise this summer?

 

It is possible. The Bermuda government has said it has had discussions with another cruise line with small ships..

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jim and Monika said:

I recently discovered that Viking Orion is doing 7 nights out of Bermuda. The stops are all Bermuda and the same as Oceania from NY with the Dockyard added.  NCL stated they plan to start cruising on starting July 4 in their letter to the CDC, and then a day later canceling the July Bermuda cruises from NY. Is there a possibility they will follow Viking and have a Bermuda to Bermuda cruise this summer?

How do you expect anyone here to know that?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Booked passengers on the Orion are still not clear as to what their itinerary will actually entail. Bermuda is not yet open for passengers to hop on an off a cruise ship even if they are vaccinated and/or with a ship sponsored excursion. From the Bermuda Tourism Authority:

  • Immunised Travellers from the United States and Canada must test upon arrival and head straight to their accommodation. Once arriving at their accommodation, they are invited to enjoy all amenities while awaiting a negative PCR COVID-19 result (typically, 24 hours or less). After arrival test, no restrictions on movement throughout the island and Day 4, 8 and 14 testing are still required.  See government guidance for immunised travellers here.
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

How do you expect anyone here to know that?

When has not knowing ever stopped anyone from posting?  But seriously, there are people on this board who have sources or who at least can make educated guesses.  And, of course, since we can't cruise all we have left is speculating about when and where we will be able to cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

When has not knowing ever stopped anyone from posting?  But seriously, there are people on this board who have sources or who at least can make educated guesses.  And, of course, since we can't cruise all we have left is speculating about when and where we will be able to cruise.

Okay - “educated” guess: Other than the currently required CDC test cruises, Oceania will not cruise with paying passengers until, at least, the beginning of the fourth quarter. NCL will be the guinea pig for NCLH for any part of the third quarter that is allowed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good guess, and helpful.  Not sure why NCLH wouldn't choose to experiment with Oceania or Regent [smaller footprints, more mature passengers more likely to be vaccinated, Regent already has shore excursions built in] – but that doesn't seem to be their thinking.  I just hope they have early success in whatever they choose, so that our January 2022 Oceania cruise can sail out of Miami.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Good guess, and helpful.  Not sure why NCLH wouldn't choose to experiment with Oceania or Regent [smaller footprints, more mature passengers more likely to be vaccinated, Regent already has shore excursions built in] – but that doesn't seem to be their thinking.  I just hope they have early success in whatever they choose, so that our January 2022 Oceania cruise can sail out of Miami.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Good guess, and helpful.  Not sure why NCLH wouldn't choose to experiment with Oceania or Regent [smaller footprints, more mature passengers more likely to be vaccinated, Regent already has shore excursions built in] – but that doesn't seem to be their thinking. 

As of 6th April, NCL has 4 ships with CDC Green Status for commercial transfer of crew.

Oceania has 1 (Regatta),

As far as I can see Regent is not showing on the list. 

 

This may be a factor in their thinking re future CDC approvals and plans to sail from US ports.

Edited by Tranquility Base
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Flatbush Flyer said:

 

Would you experiment with your “baby?”

Don’t forget that Oceania was FDR’s brainchild (along with Bob Binder). And, though Mr DelRio has a far more demanding role now, one gets the sense that O will always be “home” to him and (yes) even business titans can have a soft spot for one corner of their empire (even when if it makes little sense to  their “bean-counters.”

 

As for “experimenting” with the NCLH Premium/Luxury brands, remember that Oceania and Regent cater to a very large/strong repeat passenger base who are well-traveled, appreciate the product and can pay for it. - Not exactly the people who should be the subject of an experiment - particularly an experiment that will not readily translate to the mass market monstrosities that are NCLH’s “bread and butter.”

 

As for January 2022 Miami-Miami, if you’re talking about the 14 day itinerary on Riviera leaving 1/14/21, welcome aboard! We just traded in a 2 week NZ/OZ cruise (which I expect has zero chance of going) for this somewhat less risky “closer to home” cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Before you get too excited about sailing out of Bermuda, check the air fares...

It’s not just Bermuda. SFO-MIA bizclass RT in January 2022 = $1700+/-.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Before you get too excited about sailing out of Bermuda, check the air fares...

might be  a good time to use  O air  even in econ it is  a short flight for some

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2021 at 11:01 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Would you experiment with your “baby?”

Don’t forget that Oceania was FDR’s brainchild (along with Bob Binder). And, though Mr DelRio has a far more demanding role now, one gets the sense that O will always be “home” to him and (yes) even business titans can have a soft spot for one corner of their empire (even when if it makes little sense to  their “bean-counters.”

 

As for “experimenting” with the NCLH Premium/Luxury brands, remember that Oceania and Regent cater to a very large/strong repeat passenger base who are well-traveled, appreciate the product and can pay for it. - Not exactly the people who should be the subject of an experiment - particularly an experiment that will not readily translate to the mass market monstrosities that are NCLH’s “bread and butter.”

 

As for January 2022 Miami-Miami, if you’re talking about the 14 day itinerary on Riviera leaving 1/14/21, welcome aboard! We just traded in a 2 week NZ/OZ cruise (which I expect has zero chance of going) for this somewhat less risky “closer to home” cruise.

Hi, Flatbush, I see you are sailing on the 1-14-22 (I believe that's what you intended to type, not 2021).  I look forward to meeting you on-board after reading so many of your posts here on the 'boards'.

From another Brooklynite, Donna

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GeorgesGal said:

Hi, Flatbush, I see you are sailing on the 1-14-22 (I believe that's what you intended to type, not 2021).  I look forward to meeting you on-board after reading so many of your posts here on the 'boards'.

From another Brooklynite, Donna

Would that be the old Brooklyn “do-wop” favorite - “Donna, Donna, the Prima Donna....?”

What HS? I went to Midwood (‘63) followed by Brooklyn College.
 

Yes- If I wrote 2021, I meant 2022. 
When it comes to the constantly changing cruise situation, 2020, 2021 and 2022 (now even 2023) have all morphed together.

 

In any case, fingers crossed that we’ll cruise then. As I mentioned in a previous post, we moved to this MIA-MIA from an NZ-OZ cruise in no small part because of the cost of bizclass air tix exceeding $12k/person (plus there’s no way down under will be back to normal by then as regards tourist entry).


Speaking of which: If anyone else is contemplating bizclass RT from the west coast to MIA, January 2022 non-stop bizclass flights are running from $1500-3000/ticket. And the Intercontinental (IMO, best hotel choice all-around for the Miami port), usually available for $250-300/ night is weighing in at about $450/night (incl tax).

OUCH!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Would that be the old Brooklyn “do-wop” favorite - “Donna, Donna, the Prima Donna....?”

What HS? I went to Midwood (‘63) followed by Brooklyn College.
 

Yes- If I wrote 2021, I meant 2022. 
When it comes to the constantly changing cruise situation, 2020, 2021 and 2022 (now even 2023) have all morphed together.

 

In any case, fingers crossed that we’ll cruise then. As I mentioned in a previous post, we moved to this MIA-MIA from an NZ-OZ cruise in no small part because of the cost of bizclass air tix exceeding $12k/person (plus there’s no way down under will be back to normal by then as regards tourist entry).


Speaking of which: If anyone else is contemplating bizclass RT from the west coast to MIA, January 2022 non-stop bizclass flights are running from $1500-3000/ticket. And the Intercontinental (IMO, best hotel choice all-around for the Miami port), usually available for $250-300/ night is weighing in at about $450/night (incl tax).

OUCH!

 

I just looked at flight times from SFO/MIA and it's only 5-1/2 hours. I would never pay or use points for that (relatively) short flight.  And a quick look showed plenty of good choices near the cruise port still in the 100s and some with shuttle to the cruise port. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2021 at 10:15 AM, Daniel A said:

Before you get too excited about sailing out of Bermuda, check the air fares...

Celebrity is handling this by offering special prices on air.  Because of the limited seats available to most Caribbean islands this should become standard operating procedure for these CDC-avoidance crusies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Celebrity is handling this by offering special prices on air.  Because of the limited seats available to most Caribbean islands this should become standard operating procedure for these CDC-avoidance crusies.

Hmm, I wonder how small the planes are that can land there. And how many passengers are needed for a profitable cruise. I don't see that being an answer at all. And then you further reduce the number by those of us who have no desire to return there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, clo said:

Hmm, I wonder how small the planes are that can land there. And how many passengers are needed for a profitable cruise. I don't see that being an answer at all. And then you further reduce the number by those of us who have no desire to return there.

Airbus A321 and Boeing 737 big enough?  The beauty of resuming cruising is that you don't have to get approval from the entire world, just enough to make the cruise profitable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, clo said:

Hmm, I wonder how small the planes are that can land there. And how many passengers are needed for a profitable cruise. I don't see that being an answer at all. And then you further reduce the number by those of us who have no desire to return there.

  
 

When you say there do you mean Bermuda? Bermuda can handle large aircraft including the largest aircraft, the Airbus A380. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

  
 

When you say there do you mean Bermuda? Bermuda can handle large aircraft including the largest aircraft, the Airbus A380. 

I didn't know that. Assumed otherwise. Thanks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...