PCR Testing to get back into home country

tert333

Being the optimist that I am, I have started planning out a cruise in Uk this fall.   While I understand the rules have not been finalized to return back to the home countries(in my case Canada), I would expect that I will need to take a PCR test before I return, even if you are vaccinated.   As there is a delay of getting the results, I either have to extend my stay in the UK or take the test on the cruise ship.  Does anyone know whether Princess will provide an option to purchase a PCR test on board the day before you disembark?

If that is not an option, it looks like I will need to stay an extra couple of days to get the test done and get the results.

I've been wondering this myself, given the U.S. requirements for negative test results three calendar days prior to entering the country. I believe that, currently, the CDC requirement is only for airline travel but there would seem to be many unanswered questions around this if the policy is still in place when the cruise lines are allowed to call on U.S. ports once again. If you're on a cruise with 2-3 sea days prior to docking in the U.S. how do you get tested if the cruise line doesn't provide it on-board?

I have the same question but our cruise docks in Rome and we plan to spend a day there before we fly back to the US. At this point it appears that a test will be required in addition to vaccination. 

Why should Princess provide it as it has nothing to do with the actual cruise?  Also how much extra should they charge for this test if they did provide it?

Poop. I already have flights booked for January. I guess I need to redo them so I have an extra day before the return flight from Melbourne. (Assuming, of course, that Australia even lets us go there in the first place.)

4 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Why should Princess provide it as it has nothing to do with the actual cruise?  Also how much extra should they charge for this test if they did provide it?

They don't have to, but many of the All-inclusive resorts in Mexico and elsewhere in the Caribbean are offering free testing for US citizens prior to their departure. They are also offering either free or reduced rates for those who test positive. They don't have to, but they are, so, I can see cruise lines offering something similar for their passengers.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Many of the cruiselines have said they will have PCR testing onboard(eg.  Royal, Viking).   Princess may have the same.  If they do, I would think they would provide the testing for a few.  However, I do not see it documented anywhere.   It could make a big difference on when we book our return trip.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Poop. I already have flights booked for January. I guess I need to redo them so I have an extra day before the return flight from Melbourne. (Assuming, of course, that Australia even lets us go there in the first place.)

Take it for what it's worth, but I have a friend who was offered a job in Australia last March. He has yet to be able to begin there because he can't get into the country. I spoke with him a few weeks ago and he said that they are telling him that Australia is planning on being open by October, but he wasn't sure if that was for everyone, or just those, like him, who are awaiting work visas.

34 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

I think it is still too early in the start-up process to have an answer to this question.  Testing could be waived if your are vaccinated???  

Same.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LACruiser88 said:

Testing could be waived if your are vaccinated???

43 minutes ago, dog said:

Same.  

I agree, but @dog you might agree with me as a Canadian on this.  I am skeptical Canada would allow this looking at current situation where they grant absolutely zero exemptions/exceptions on the 14-day quarantine.  I do think things may change down the line, but today, I think there would be no waiver.

28 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I agree, but @dog you might agree with me as a Canadian on this.  I am skeptical Canada would allow this looking at current situation where they grant absolutely zero exemptions/exceptions on the 14-day quarantine.  I do think things may change down the line, but today, I think there would be no waiver.

Who knows?

really it is getting scarier by the minute here in Ontario. Pop up vaccines, essential workers, special Ed teachers 18 plus—- some can now get shots—- finally where the need is. 
now it’s Spring Break and nice weather which means more are out together. 

I think things are changing by the minute here and you cannot count on anything being the same. Making travel plans for 2021 means one might have last minute cancellations, like I did last March. 

5 minutes ago, dog said:

Who knows?

really it is getting scarier by the minute here in Ontario. Pop up vaccines, essential workers, special Ed teachers 18 plus—- some can now get shots—- finally where the need is. 
now it’s Spring Break and nice weather which means more are out together. 

I think things are changing by the minute here and you cannot count on anything being the same. Making travel plans for 2021 means one might have last minute cancellations, like I did last March. 

We have no major travel plans for this year.  Nothing international until Fall 2022.  Of course, FL next Winter.

I agree that it is hard to speculate as things change so rapidly.    The UK seems to be getting a good handle on Covid.  So my base assumption is that cruising will start up within the next 5 months.  It may not start everywhere, as I do not believe that Canada will allow cruising in the country until 2022.  However, we are already seeing successful cruising in various countries. 

I have booked all of my hotels, flights and cruise with the ability to cancel with relatively short notice.   Based on the projections, most people in Europe and NA with be vaccinated by September.  We are definitely going through a difficult period here in Ontario.   However, it is 5 months until September and this wave will go down.  The only worry I have is a new variant that may become dominate that the vaccines can not address.  If that happens, we will cancel the trip.

It was good to get people's feedback on PCR testing and whether Princess might offer such a thing on the ship.

• Like 1

I’ve booked for end of March 2022,all refundable, insured etc 

it could go either way. This is a year now and even with some vaccinated Ontario is seeing a surge in infections, overflowing hospitals and a younger group with the virus. It is unpredictable. 
as far as getting tested- I expect there will be tests with quick results by next year. Quarantine, well it is Not always being enforced, just like this Lockdown/ stay at home order we are under.

5 hours ago, Potstech said:

You say it has nothing to do with the cruise, but what will the cruise line do if passengers are not allowed to disembark when they get back to the US homeport for a lack of a negative test?

Other places such as AIs seem to be providing it for free.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

You say it has nothing to do with the cruise, but what will the cruise line do if passengers are not allowed to disembark when they get back to the US homeport for a lack of a negative test?

Not let them board. 

Posted (edited)

Nothing is "free."  The cost will be embedded in your overall resort cost.

Bigger question for me is shipboard testing within the 3-day requirement to get into the US on a say 6-day TransAtlantic transit and a passenger or crew tests positive.  Cruise lines need to be ready to manage this consistent with CDC entry onto US protocols.  Have not read anything cruise lines are doing to mitigate such a scenario which was common at the start of the outbreak.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves

Part of the agreements that the CDC is requiring in.  If positive they would be moved to cruise line provided housing for quarantine and treatment if needed.

I have to deal with this whenever I fly to Hawaii (PCR pre-travel test).  To say that it is pain in the okole is saying it mildly.  I have not had a test returned any sooner the 36 hours from a "trusted partner" drug store chain.  The test is administered via drive through, held until a pick up time, and overnighted to a lab for 24 hour processing.  I doubt that Princess Ships will have a designated lab for processing, even if the test is available on board.  No one will issue a guarantee that it will be processed in time.  

Another expensive option is to take a rapid test at the airport.  Wait 20 minutes to an hour for your results.  This needs to be paid upfront.  For the state of Hawaii, you MUST upload a PDF copy of your negative test before your flight departs from its final gate.  

Not sure how international flights will deal with this.  Several airports now have testing sites.  No one has yet developed an approved vaccination app.  

There are so many IFs and/or maybe's to determine what will be required 6 months from now.  Good luck to all playing flights.  I'm cruising locally until the dust settles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Another expensive option is to take a rapid test at the airport.  

Can you please define "expensive" in this context?

9 hours ago, mjmalino said:

They don't have to, but many of the All-inclusive resorts in Mexico and elsewhere in the Caribbean are offering free testing for US citizens prior to their departure. They are also offering either free or reduced rates for those who test positive. They don't have to, but they are, so, I can see cruise lines offering something similar for their passengers.

There have also been some interesting stories of people whose tests have come back positive when it cam to leave and they found themselves stuck the 10 day quarantine period before they could fly home.

Also been a couple of stories like the couple that tested positive and the airline would not let them fly so they flew within Mexico to a boarder city, crossed on land, then flew home from inside the US.