Carnival cruiser, do you have a valid passport?

Carnival cruiser, do you have a passport?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Carnival cruiser, do you have a valid passport?

• Yes
    • No

6 hours ago, Jobeth66 said:

We also got passport cards, because they're convenient as heck.  Additional cost, yes, but totally worth it.

What are the passport cards good for?  Can you take them instead of the book?

I’m pretty certain that the results of this poll don’t reflect reality one bit. 

2 hours ago, mek said:

To each his own - so much easier to fly domestically with just the DL than to carry a bulky passport. 

I agree,  my regular DL can get me to FLA to get on a cruise with no problem. Don't need an enhanced one, but if you do, enjoy.

We all have passports in our family. We have had them for cruises but now we are going to be heading to Austria in 2022 for my son's wedding. His fiance' is Austrian and we look forward to going to her hometown in the Alps for the wedding. I have both the passport booklet and the card. I keep the passport card on the boat for if/when the Canadian border opens. We venture up to Canada on occasion on one day trips. Don't leave home without it. It's just not hard to get a passport. It's good for ten years. I don't understand the aversion to having one. 

19 minutes ago, Tapi said:

No question about it.  I think maybe 60-65% have passports.

20 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Flying in the day before a cruise not necessary????

Hopefully bad weather or a mechanical issue never happens on your morning of fly in.  It is a moot point of course if sailaway is 10:00 pm like Puerto Rico.

Well, I have a passport, always buy travel insurance, and always fly in at least a day early, but there are people who roll the dice with arriving on the same day.  I like to play it safe because then I can have a stress-free vacation, but everyone has their own comfort levels.  I consider the extra day just one more vacation day.

14 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Yes, it does make their job easier, but I'm not in the business of making their job easier. The only time one can travel across the land border with a birth certificate is when one is under 16 (or under 19 on a school field trip). During a cruise everyone's birth certificate or other citizenship document is checked against a multitude of databases which is done by the time the ship returns to port.

It's not so much about making their job easier as it is getting through the line quicker. I have a family member that works for CBP in the Houston/Galveston area and he works the cruise terminals from time to time. He said they can process roughly three passports to each birth certificate. 

25 minutes ago, Rudyard said:

It's not so much about making their job easier as it is getting through the line quicker. I have a family member that works for CBP in the Houston/Galveston area and he works the cruise terminals from time to time. He said they can process roughly three passports to each birth certificate. 

When I cruised on Royal in March of last year, they had a facial recognition program and I didn't even have to show my passport to get off of the ship. That was fast!

Have had a passport for decades - most of the time I had two. (Although I think I only had to use my government passport once.) We have too many friends we visit around the world to not have one!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

I agree,  my regular DL can get me to FLA to get on a cruise with no problem. Don't need an enhanced one, but if you do, enjoy.

Starting this October I will not be able to fly from Ohio w/o an enhanced DL or a passport.  Additionally, I would never step on a ship and not have my passport with me - domestic travel and cruising - two different things entirely.

Edited by mek
54 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

And my guess is the % is probably about half of that for minors.

44 minutes ago, mek said:

Starting this October I will not be able to fly from Ohio w/o an enhanced DL or a passport.  Additionally, I would never step on a ship and not have my passport with me - domestic travel and cruising - two different things entirely.

I have a regular DL and a passport.  It will get me anywhere I need to go in the world.  Don't  care about Real ID or enhanced licenses

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

When I cruised on Royal in March of last year, they had a facial recognition program and I didn't even have to show my passport to get off of the ship. That was fast!

The Celebrity Edge had the same program on our last cruise in January of 2020

8 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Well, I have a passport, always buy travel insurance, and always fly in at least a day early, but there are people who roll the dice with arriving on the same day.  I like to play it safe because then I can have a stress-free vacation, but everyone has their own comfort levels.  I consider the extra day just one more vacation day.

Same.

9 hours ago, Tapi said:

I agree 100%. The users of these forums are hardly a random sample.

11 hours ago, mek said:

Well, I don't take my passport to fly within the US.  I've lost track of the enhanced DL requirements, but at some point they will be required to fly in the US - why would I take a passport along for that type of trip?

Since Ohio doesn't issue EDLs you are referring to a REAL ID compliant license which as pointed out earlier is a different document.

To answer the question that you answered though we have EDLs so we can cross into Canada easily (8 miles from our door) without having to worry about getting our passports out of the safe deposit box. 

8 hours ago, Rudyard said:

I've never noticed a difference in processing time in the line since they don't do any verification at that point in time, since the verification was done during the cruise (the CBP officer simply glances at our documents). Even if it were a bit quicker I'm not sure that it would be worth extra to save a little time every year/year and a half.

27 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I've never noticed a difference in processing time in the line since they don't do any verification at that point in time, since the verification was done during the cruise (the CBP officer simply glances at our documents). Even if it were a bit quicker I'm not sure that it would be worth extra to save a little time every year/year and a half.

I forgot to say that some ports do have separate lines for passport holders and people using other documentation and the lines are longer for those using other documentation (real world poll right there🙂) so in those ports passport holders will pass through the line quicker since it is shorter, but the time to process each passenger is about the same.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Overall about 42% of US citizens have a passport to begin with, as of 2019: https://www.ntacourier.com/index.php/node/541#:~:text=According to recent data compiled,citizens have a valid passport. and from what I've read each individual sailing will have 40 to 60% of passengers using a passport, depending on the sailing, itinerary, etc. 

Edited by sparks1093
8 hours ago, mek said:

you are thinking of real iD. You will not need an enhanced license. Ohio doesn’t offer those. Real ID is just the new normal drivers license, you just have to show proof of citizenship and residence to get it. An enhanced drivers license is a passport card that is built into your DL. 

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

you are thinking of real iD. You will not need an enhanced license. Ohio doesn’t offer those. Real ID is just the new normal drivers license, you just have to show proof of citizenship and residence to get it. An enhanced drivers license is a passport card that is built into your DL. 

You are correct and I didn't realize the two are not the same.  Thanks for the clarification, but bottom line is I would still rather fly domestically with just my DL. I would never leave the US or cruise w/o my passport.

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Since Ohio doesn't issue EDLs you are referring to a REAL ID compliant license which as pointed out earlier is a different document.

To answer the question that you answered though we have EDLs so we can cross into Canada easily (8 miles from our door) without having to worry about getting our passports out of the safe deposit box. 

Sounds convenient. Similar to the Passport Card, but combines it with your driver's license so you don't need to carry 2 cards. 

I wouldn't leave the country without a valid passport.  We even got them for all of our children once we started taking them with us.

While we've never had to use them, I've read threads where someone had to stay a few days and jump through hoops in a foreign country when there was an emergency or they got left behind because the ship sailed on time and the people didn't make it back on time.   I remember one from years ago where it cost the person thousands in extra expenses by the time they had to stay in the country for a few days and then take a flight to either catch up with the ship or to go home.

6 minutes ago, Darcy03231 said:

I wouldn't leave the country without a valid passport.  We even got them for all of our children once we started taking them with us.

While we've never had to use them, I've read threads where someone had to stay a few days and jump through hoops in a foreign country when there was an emergency or they got left behind because the ship sailed on time and the people didn't make it back on time.   I remember one from years ago where it cost the person thousands in extra expenses by the time they had to stay in the country for a few days and then take a flight to either catch up with the ship or to go home.

People always bring up these hearsay second hand stories when the truth is that you can be issued an emergency passport in 30 min or less if needed. The cruise lines have folks on the ground at the ports, travel insurance nearly universally includes passport services for repatriation, and you have consulate/embassy services. For the millions upon millions of cruisers that cruise without passports, you'd hear more about this if it were an actual problem.