What is the update for cruise in the fall of 2021?

Hello!

I am mulling over whether to book Celebrity Best of Japan cruise for October 2021.

Is anyone going, too?

What is going on in Japan and Asia? I understand that the Summer Olympic is not open to tourists but what's about fall season for cruisers? If we fly a couple days before the cruise embarks, will we be required to quarantined longer than 24 hours while awaiting the test? We both are fully shot up and we will be willing to take a booster if necessary before we go in the fall.

Thanks for any info you may share.

Lori in AZ

Foreigners cruising in Japan anytime this year does not look possible.

Although Japan’s COVID numbers are surprisingly low, the Japanese do not see it that way.

New restrictions were put in place today for Tokyo, Osaka, and a few other areas. 

Vaccine distribution is just starting this week. The general population will not be fully vaccinated until mid-summer - just before the Olympics.

Japanese domestic cruises are going on right now - but only for Japanese Residents.

With the exception of Olympic Athletes, no foreigners are allowed to visit Japan for any reason.

Japanese residents are allowed to go abroad, but must jump through many hoops to get back into Japan. 

The Japanese Government is subsidizing businesses that voluntarily reduce their hours. The economy is doing quite well and few people are losing their jobs. The Japanese public is quite happy with the current precautions, and there is no big push to open the country up any time soon.

Maybe next year..................

Thank you Bruce for your reply. I appreciate this.  I used to be active on Cruise Critic board long time ago when it was hopping. Now, it is dead. Very strange.

I guess I might change the date to spring time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2021 at 12:17 AM, Lori in AZ said:

Thank you Bruce for your reply. I appreciate this.  I used to be active on Cruise Critic board long time ago when it was hopping. Now, it is dead. Very strange.

I guess I might change the date to spring time.

Hi Lori,

We've really missed how things used to be too, it's been a rough year for sure, but we're looking forward to getting back on the sea, and chatting with everyone about our plans and experiences here on Cruise Critic. We believe we're moving in the right direction, certainly in a better place than we were a year ago at this time. 

It's been pretty active on many of our boards, some of the cruise lines, Italy, Spain, UK, Greece, various discussion topics (including a jokes/humor topic) and cruise executives have stopped by to visit and answer member questions, this past week we had a special live event with our editors and another executive. 

It's definitely different though, but our members have stuck together supporting each other, talking about future plans and past memories, and sharing updates in their part of the world, which has also been helpful. Like you, we're looking forward to being at sea again, and we're grateful for everyone in our community, so we're glad you're around. And you know once everything gets going again, these boards will be sizzling again! 😉🔥

Stick around and stay well Lori! 🚢 We know you're going our way.

Japan is still closed to all foreigners.

Residents who go abroad must return with the required negative PCR test, pass another PCR test upon arrival at the airport, use private transport to get home, remain in home quarantine for 14 days, agree to be tracked by a smartphone app, and are contacted every day by medical staff to ensure that all is well.   

Today the Japanese Government announced the CORONAVIRUS prevention measures for the Olympic Athletes.

They must show 2 negative PCR tests taken 96 hours before arrival in Japan.

They will be tested again upon arrival at the airport.

They will be tested every day for the duration of their stay.

Travel away from the Olympic Venue is severely limited and must be announced and approved in advance. 

Any violation of the requirements will result in immediate deportation from Japan.

Thanks for the update Bruce.

Things are probably going to be different (as it has been) in different countries in various parts of the world for a while. It will probably also continue to change unexpectedly, but hopefully it's moving in a better direction.

Sounds like Europe *might* be opening to American travelers this summer, but that could change as quickly (and/or unexpectedly) as the announcement was made. Whatever the case, it might only make sense to plan a Europe trip in the near future, and definitely having the ability to get a refund or rebook at a future time with penalties for cancellation.

Still not much news from the major cruise lines.... and so we wait. It'll be worth it. 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Any news on SE Asia?   Vietnam/Cambodia/Thailand. We have booked Amawaterways Mekong River Cruise late November 2021.   AMA just canceled these trips through 9/30/21. Hoping to know more before I have to large balance in late August.   What a conundrum! Hoping a lot changes in the next three months. 

Your own state (Florida) is the perfect example of why Asian countries will not be opening up to Western tourists anytime soon.

Florida's daily COVID numbers are higher than the numbers for most Asian countries.

So long as America remains "Typhoid Mary" to the rest of the world, you will not be welcomed - or allowed - to visit.