First time Oceania Cruiser; using a TA?

1 hour ago, clo said:

Just so you know, the US Dept of Transportation actually has authority over that. Both domestic and international corporations. So it's good that your agent helped you but it was within your power also.

I haven't hard of anyone getting their money back by contacting the US DOT.  And the Ponant board has many complaints from people who were not able to get help through their own power.  What I do know is that I succeeded because of my TA, and this other passenger because of the NYS AG [PonantUSA is a New York Corporation].

38 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I haven't hard of anyone getting their money back by contacting the US DOT.  And the Ponant board has many complaints from people who were not able to get help through their own power.  What I do know is that I succeeded because of my TA, and this other passenger because of the NYS AG [PonantUSA is a New York Corporation].

DOT has policies related to air refunds

FMC has policies related to cruise refunds.

Neither agency is really setup to get your money for you.

Just one example of the great value in using a travel agent. 3 days before my scheduled departure on a Viking River cruise, a major snow storm was forecast for NYC. It was a Sunday.   We called our TA, somehow she got ahold of Viking,  we got out on Tuesday. Extra day in Berlin, our Wednesday flight was canceled. 

2 hours ago, sitraveler said:

Just one example of the great value in using a travel agent. 3 days before my scheduled departure on a Viking River cruise, a major snow storm was forecast for NYC. It was a Sunday.   We called our TA, somehow she got ahold of Viking,  we got out on Tuesday. Extra day in Berlin, our Wednesday flight was canceled. 

This is so true. We booked a 32 day cruise comprised of two 16 day segments. There is no smoking allowed except in the one designated area on ship. Unfortunately, there was a chain smoker who smoked on the balcony non stop. We along with many other surrounding cabins complained to no avail. We even suggested Oceania just make an announcement on the PA that no smoking is allowed and they wouldn't. We put up with it hoping that the smoker would disembark on the next segment. No such luck.

My TA emailed me asking how the trip was going. I said great except for the smoker. She asked if we had informed the crew and I said yes on several occasions and we weren't the only ones. When we got back to the cabin from our our all day tour I had a phone message to please call and meet some person from Oceania to discuss the "issue". I don't know what my TA did but the outcome was no more smoking and a nice SBC or FCC for my inconvenience. This is where a good TA comes into play.

Posted (edited)

To add to the above, the OCC has been essentially dormant the past several years, particularly since the merger of PCH and NCL. Agencies, based on their performance, have neither been added to nor deleted from the list. The new NCLH Perferred Agencies list appears to have replaced that designation for practical ( money) purposes.

There is talk that the OCC may be revived, however what that will actually look like and mean is still in question by both the Agents and Agencies.

Therefore, currently the clamor  over a OCC Agency doesn’t quite have the same meaning in 2021 that it did in 2016. That likewise applies to the Agents that work for those Agencies. 

Edited by pinotlover
10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

And I succeeded by emailing the CEO of an airline and a cruise line and getting refunds from both of them. All I did was let them know that the DOT required a refund if I desired. I don't mind using my "power" when the time comes.