no summer cruises out of the usa ports ..crew return postponed

44 minutes ago, toad455 said:

It was RCG that met with St. Maarten officials about the Millenium.  No mention of RCI at all 

14 minutes ago, Keksie said:

The cruise lines can't wait forever for the CDC to give them guidelines that are possible to accomplish.  The cruise lines are probably working every angle and potential homeport to get cruising again.  As time goes by they will establish homeports in other countries with infrastructure to handle the bigger ships.  It may be hard for them to come back to the US once they have invested in other countries especially if they can fill ships from there.  Other countries may be welcoming of fully vaccinated tourists spending money on things like hotels, restaurants, tours etc. because with flying in to a country to cruise people may spend a day or two pre or post cruise.

I can see Freeport becoming a cruise departure point. Take the ferry over😉

He is non essential personnel. RCI has cancelled cruises till July out of US. Seems logical that non essential workers would  not return this week. I don’t believe they’d (Non-E employees)  need 2 1/2 months to get ready  he did say he was postponed till summer so still looks positive for mid-summer start date. That’s my story I’m sticking to it. 

2 minutes ago, kidless said:

He is non essential personnel. RCI has cancelled cruises till July out of US. Seems logical that non essential workers would  not return this week. I don’t believe they’d (Non-E employees)  need 2 1/2 months to get ready  he did say he was postponed till summer so still looks positive for mid-summer start date. That’s my story I’m sticking to it. 

But when is mid summer🤔🤣🤣🤣

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

Between Memorial & Labor Day in my opinion. Or June and September by others. Either way I think July-ish... I hope anyway. 

20 minutes ago, Keksie said:

The cruise lines can't wait forever for the CDC to give them guidelines that are possible to accomplish.  The cruise lines are probably working every angle and potential homeport to get cruising again.  As time goes by they will establish homeports in other countries with infrastructure to handle the bigger ships.  It may be hard for them to come back to the US once they have invested in other countries especially if they can fill ships from there.  Other countries may be welcoming of fully vaccinated tourists spending money on things like hotels, restaurants, tours etc. because with flying in to a country to cruise people may spend a day or two pre or post cruise.

2 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

IMO, the longer this bs drags on, the better the chance we'll see cruise

lines based outside the U.S.   Love to see them say bye-bye to the fear-mongering and thrive elsewhere.

I think the large lines have established short term, intermediate and long term goals.

In the short term to generate revenue they need to start sailing, and they have been forced by ..... (the circumstances) ....to look at non-US ports.

As soon as they start to open the US, I am sure they will also sail as many ships as they can from the established ports.  I mean, Miami and FLL can turn over a combined  25,000 - maybe even 35,000 a day.  Returning to that volume has to be a priority, and for now an intermediate goal.  With their volume capability they will not leave US ports.

However, for the long run this pandemic I imagine will surely result in the large lines investing capital outside the US to enable alternatives should a government agency (CDC, EPA?), pandemic, catastrophic weather event, whatever happen in the future.  

Eddie

7 minutes ago, kidless said:

Between Memorial & Labor Day in my opinion. Or June and September by others. Either way I think July-ish... I hope anyway. 

Just having fun.

Spirited debate on defining summer.

July is mid summer to me

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

July is mid summer to me

I guess technically it would be about August 5, so a 10 day standard deviation would be later July to mid Aug

But I agree, always been July as mid summer since school started after Labor Day.

Eddie

Edited by Eddie Wilson
Posted (edited)

Thinking that cruise lines will move large numbers of ships out of the US is a pipe dream.

Thinking that the threat of such a move would impact  CDC thinking incorrectly presumes that the CDC is not making its decisions based on its best estimation of what is required (within its mandate) to minimize the impact of covid in the US.

Edited by broberts
3 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

IMO, the longer this bs drags on, the better the chance we'll see cruise

lines based outside the U.S.   Love to see them say bye-bye to the fear-mongering and thrive elsewhere.

Where do you suggest they go, certainly not to the Caribbean. It would take tons of money and months, if not years to do. As of now neither RCL or the countries have either. They have no leverage, without the U.S., the cruise lines are toast and they know it. Why do you think they let it drag on so long?

43 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

After my July 25th cruise! Expect it to cancel so gonna fly to DR and enjoy a great relaxing all inclusive experience.

I'm a bit more optimistic.  The CDC will be getting a lot of pressure to let the cruise industry open up in the US.  Every time we port, we have to pay fees...not per SHIP but per HEAD on each ship!  All that money goes to the IRS, which means the US is LOSING money by not allowing cruising out of US ports.  Those taxes and fees add up!  Plus, without tourists buying souvenirs, that impacts the economy.

With the vaccines now having an accelerated rollout, focus will move onto how we can bring the economy back.

3 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I'm a bit more optimistic.  The CDC will be getting a lot of pressure to let the cruise industry open up in the US.  Every time we port, we have to pay fees...not per SHIP but per HEAD on each ship!  All that money goes to the IRS, which means the US is LOSING money by not allowing cruising out of US ports.  Those taxes and fees add up!  Plus, without tourists buying souvenirs, that impacts the economy.

With the vaccines now having an accelerated rollout, focus will move onto how we can bring the economy back.

Same goes for any other business in the United States that is shut down across the country.

CDC doesn't have a pulse, they don't know what pressure feels like.

7 hours ago, pinnacleking2021 said:
Beyond issues with the CDC in the U.S., I'm starting to get worried about the slow roll-out of vaccines outside of the U.S., especially with issues around the AstraZeneca vaccine popping up. Australia announced today they are changing their goals, shifting country-wide vaccination in October which would open up the country by year-end deep into Q1 2022. Canada and Europe are also scrambling, making herd immunity more realisitic by next summer than than this one.
I thought my international cruises in January and May 2022 were safe, but with this news out this week, I'm starting to have my doubts. Anyone else?

Yep, I'm down-under and the updates this week have been a bit disheartening.  They're not setting a timeline now for getting the whole population vaccinated other than it is most likely going to drag into next year.  

Most of the Aussies posting here on CC seem in agreeance that our 21/22 summer cruise season was toast.  I was still hopeful that we could have some or most of our season if vaccinations went to schedule by the end of October.  In saying that, I wouldn't have been surprised if the govt ruled it out but still had some hope.

We are booked on Quantum out of Brisbane at the end of December cruising only in Queensland.  

I had some hope this might go ahead as it's a cruise only within the one state and would (almost 100% certainly) only allow Aussie's aboard.  Not feeling very confident or hopeful now!  Nothing comparable the following season that I could L&S to and I have an amazing price on a GS (our first) that I will lose.

Still booked on TP Ovation from Hnl to Syd in September, have known for months no chance that goes ahead but waiting for RCI to officially cancel.   The ones the following season in 2022  are coming ~ 2 weeks later than usual into October which won't suit so no chance for L&S even if offered.

Also booked on Ovation TP from Syd to Hnl in April '22.  Thought this might be a goer IF we could get some sort of cruise season down here this year but not looking too good at this stage.

My son and I have been tentatively planning over the last 2-3 years a return trip to the US - California/Florida - in Dec 2022.  This week I've been looking at cruises in Orlando (PC) as we would likely do a week long cruise, probably looking at 12/11/22 on Harmony.   With our govt's timeline for restart of overseas travel I have no confidence that this will be possible.

If we had to do a quarantine on return that wouldn't be a major issue but a long way to go at this stage to know what will be required.  Still not being allowed out of the country (to places like UK/US) would be the main sticking point.

All my cruises above have NRD's and as most don't have anything I can L&S to I might consider moving one of my deposits over to the Harmony cruise.   Just having something booked gives me something to look forward to and I do like to book very early as I'm usually pretty particular about cabin location etc..  although as we've never cruised the Oasis class before I'm not familiar with what is best to book.  I found an old post here on CC from October that I asked about this cruise travelling from Orlando and I got some really great advice and pretty sure I'm going to reserve an OV balcony.

So....this week I'm definitely more disheartened than I've been previously.  I know in the scheme of things cruising is not the be all end all and some people definitely have a lot bigger issues to be concerned about but  it certainly feels like we are a very long way away from any sort of normality returning unfortunately 😪

57 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Unfortunately CDC doesn’t care about economy or understand concept of palatable risk to keep it going. They would starve a family to keep them from getting Covid.

50 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Unfortunately CDC doesn’t care about economy or understand concept of palatable risk to keep it going. They would starve a family to keep them from getting Covid.

Then how do you explain the vessel sanitation program?

52 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Their only concern is the best way to control or eradicate the virus. The economy, or anything else are not their concern. That falls on people with a lot higher pay grade than theirs.

7 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

German shipping company Hapag-Lloyd is currently re-flagging Korean built cargo ships with US flags.  Apparently been doing it for a while. 

https://www.seafarers.org/seafarerslogs/2020/01/containership-rio-grande-express-reflags-u-s/

Seems odd

Not odd at all

Port Canaveral to host conversion of five cargo ships to allow use by military (floridatoday.com)

10 hours ago, toad455 said:

I wouldn't expect an Oasis-class ship to sail from a non-US port.

Apart from the Oasis class ships that have sailed every summer from Barcelona and Civitavecchia for the past 7 years....🤷‍♀️

Being from the uk we always/often have to fly to go cruising, often with hotel stays before hand for a few days of seeing the area, shopping, resturants etc. 90% of uk flights to the US land afternoon evening US Time (east coast) so always have to stay night before cruise. Just the UK cruise visitors thats a lot of money to miss out on. Granted in big scheme of things its not much but still every little helps

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I can see Freeport becoming a cruise departure point. Take the ferry over😉

Just curious. How much does the ferry cost and how long is the ride?

Edited by Iamcruzin