Constellation & Infinity - What's their future?

CretaMed88

Checking in various websites , Infinity has cruises from June and on ,when Constellation from November and on.

Both have the old colours and Infinity remained with the same colours even if she was drydocked.

Apart from the Pullmantur rumours which were fake as the company is 101% ceased , what are the rumours?

I see them very often from my house ,coming and leaving Piraeus Roads.

1 hour ago, CretaMed88 said:

Checking in various websites , Infinity has cruises from June and on ,when Constellation from November and on.

Both have the old colours and Infinity remained with the same colours even if she was drydocked.

Apart from the Pullmantur rumours which were fake as the company is 101% ceased , what are the rumours?

No idea!

Just had to reply to say what a wonderful part of the world you live in!

1 hour ago, CretaMed88 said:

Don't write off Pullmantur just yet, they are reorganising and may well return. They will need new ships. Wouldn't be surprised if these two end up there despite earlier denials.

pmtr.jpg

I have no idea, but I sure would love to know whether Celebrity is planning cancel, maintain, or reorganize the Infinity sailings this summer and fall in the Med...

I have a vested interested with BTB sailings in late August. With so much uncertainty it is difficult to plan with any sense of what will happen, especially since they could just as easily create 7-day itineraries (and not allow BTBs) as cancel the whole deal.

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I have no idea, but I sure would love to know whether Celebrity is planning cancel, maintain, or reorganize the Infinity sailings this summer and fall in the Med...

I have a vested interested with BTB sailings in late August. With so much uncertainty it is difficult to plan with any sense of what will happen, especially since they could just as easily create 7-day itineraries (and not allow BTBs) as cancel the whole deal.

Magic 8 Ball Ask Again Later" Sticker by mackfink | Redbubble

4 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

I’m interested in Infinity for Antarctica in 2023, fine if they eventually substitute another ship but wouldn’t want to lose the itinerary.

We booked Infinity 2/25/2023 Antarctica yesterday. It is the fourth of four sailings scheduled for her that year. We sailed her back in 2010 down to the frozen continent. Loved every minute. Hope they keep her!!!

Once sailing resumes, I'll be interested to see if Venice enforces the cruise ship ban.  If it does, then changing/canceling Celebrity's 27 cruises originating there in 2022 might have a direct impact on whether either/both ships stay/go.  

I'm very pessimistic about the future of both Infinity and Constellation. 

With 4 edge class ships due it was always my view that the ultimately some, if not all, the Millennium class were on bowered time

Even with this swop out there would be a substantial increase in the number of available berths.

With the impact of the pandemic and the expected slower return to full capacity I'm still of a view that all 4 are likely to go over the next few years.

Currently we have taken delivery of 2 new Edge class. So this logic would assume that 2 Millennium class could be disposed of. The fact that 2 have yet to be refurbished and that Infinity only got a VERY basic drydock. Puts Infinity and Constellation at risk and I'm sure RCG will be looking for any disposal opportunity.

Unless things pick up substantially I would expect Summit and Millennium to go when the other Edge ships are delivered. 

I do not say this with any pleasure as the M class is by far my favourite. Time will tell

out and 2 M

• Like 1

7 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

Once sailing resumes, I'll be interested to see if Venice enforces the cruise ship ban.  If it does, then changing/canceling Celebrity's 27 cruises originating there in 2022 might have a direct impact on whether either/both ships stay/go.  

The number I've seen used for cruise ships in the most recent decree is that no ships of more than 40,000 gross tonnage can transit Giudecca Canal. Any larger ships will have to dock at Marghera (for now). 

That's less than half the gross tonnage of Constellation and Infinity.

The industry itself needs some time to adjust post-pandemic life. The demand they are seeing now is largely due to FCC's and people's inability to travel for the past 12+ months. Once that pent up demand wanes and a realistic impact from COVID is realized, some ships will start to move. Beyond recently it's floated out and there is another Edge class ship slated for Q4 2023.

That is a lot of additional capacity without some ships going away even without COVID having lingering effects on overall demand. 

The renovations of the Summit and Millennium were so expansive (and speaking from experience, incredibly well done) so I think those ships are safe for the foreseeable future. 

The other two M-class ships seem much more dicey to me, and speculation is almost impossible without knowing the metrics Celebrity is considering.

Personally speaking, we considered booking a South American/Patagonia cruise, for 2023, but saw the entire season was being offered on the Infinity. While I know lots of passengers like the familiarity of these older ships, it's not really one I would intentionally book not knowing if it would be renovated prior to sailing. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

The number I've seen used for cruise ships in the most recent decree is that no ships of more than 40,000 gross tonnage can transit Giudecca Canal. Any larger ships will have to dock at Marghera (for now). 

That's less than half the gross tonnage of Constellation and Infinity.

I'm familiar with the 40K GT but because Italy has taken such a direct economic hit from the pandemic and their vaccinations are still lagging (6.7% vs 20.8% in US), I'm interested to see how diligently they enforce those restrictions.  Read this article dated April 1st The very last sentence says it's still unknown for ships below 96K GT.  Obviously, S and E class are out but I'm not too sure X will dump the M-class as long as there's a chance they could continue sailing into/out of Venice proper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I can empathize.
We would like to know what X plans to do for those of us booked on the Summit to Bermuda this summer (July). No cruise ships have authorization to depart from US ports. Final payment is due and yesterday Bermuda went into a lockdown.

Royal changed Vision of the Seas home port to Bermuda to get around the CDC's rules, but there’s nothing but radio silence from X. I will not be surprised when after final payment is made X will cancel those cruises. 

1 hour ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

speculation is almost impossible without knowing the metrics Celebrity is considering.

We booked on what was supposed to be the last sailing of Century, Dubai to Rome, Easter 2015.She was then going to sail to Cadiz for a refit, before she was handed over to Pullmantur.

We were told the previous September, that she was going to be redeployed early, to the Asian market, so she didn’t even sail to Dubai to complete a series of Singapore Dubai cruises.

The deal was done before anyone had an inkling that there were changes afoot. Passengers are the last to know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bikerunner said:

I think they will be refurbished and made into space ships for luxury voyages to Mars and back with a stop over on the moon for some sightseeing.  As good as anything out there now or anyone comes up with I think 

I wonder if they will require proof of vaccine?

• Haha 1

Received this Venice ad earlier today from Celebrity.  Obviously they still think, or at least want us to believe, Constellation and Infinity will be sailing into/out of Venice in 2022.   I bet Venice will be charging a whole lot more for the privilege, too.

Edited by goofysmom99

12 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Received this Venice ad earlier today from Celebrity.  Obviously they still think, or at least want us to believe, Constellation and Infinity will be sailing into/out of Venice in 2022.   I bet Venice will be charging a whole lot more for the privilege, too.

I just received the same email. It will be interesting to see what Venice has to say about their plans.

On 4/14/2021 at 2:37 PM, AstoriaPreppy said:

Personally speaking, we considered booking a South American/Patagonia cruise, for 2023, but saw the entire season was being offered on the Infinity. While I know lots of passengers like the familiarity of these older ships, it's not really one I would intentionally book not knowing if it would be renovated prior to sailing. 

AstoriaPreppy, I echo your sentiments. We were booked on the Silhouette January 2022 Buenos Aires-Valparaiso sailing. Last year Celebrity decided to move Silly to the Caribbean and bring Infinity to South America. Dates of sailings were also changed and we rebooked on the February 27 one, now 13 days instead of the original 15. 

We really liked the Millennium when we last cruised in 2019, but as you say, she’s been retrofitted beautifully. A weather worn Infinity doesn’t really excite us and we’re not sure we’ll take the cruise. 

I’m waiting for the 2022/23 schedules to be announced and then transfer the booking to a new cruise. Or maybe Celebrity might bring in another ship...? One can always hope! 😉

3 hours ago, prish said:

I’m waiting for the 2022/23 schedules to be announced and then transfer the booking to a new cruise. Or maybe Celebrity might bring in another ship...? One can always hope! 😉

Beyond is on the horizon. 😉