Do you carry your camera with you everywhere?

MzItaly79

I'm a picture freak and was wondering if you all have certain times you carry your camera on board with you or if you always have it. I'd hate to miss a great shot by not having it, but I don't want to look insane constantly carrying my camera with me.

:eek:

Last thing I "put on" before leaving the cabin each morning is my camera over my shoulder.

If something happens ( whale on port side ) you don't have time to run to your cabin for your camera.

With digital cameras I usually shoot about a hundred shots a day and then twice a day, go through and delete what I don't want. Even then I have far to many by cruise end but then I get to pick again back home and relive the cruise.

Dick

I've yet to attend a cruise, but I know I will always have it in my pocket. It's relatively small, mine, so it's of no inconvienience to bring it everywhere. I know if I was to leave it in my cabin, I'd miss something and regret taking the picture.

I ALWAYS grab my camera and video camera before leaving the cabin. Last cruise I took 298 pics. Now I had my digital, for most of them, a borrowed camera that does panoramas, and an underwater camera for snorkeling. When we go snorkeling we bring them all. Like Onbec said with the digital. I go through them and delete the not so good ones.

Have camera, will travel.

Yes, It has become a part of my hand on the cruise. Too many times I left it in the room and really needed it so now I carry it everywhere. It's not particularly small and it is about 5 years old but was a higher end camera when we bought it so it takes great digital pictures. I have gotten into the habit of carrying it everywhere. Sometimes DH will wear it around his neck. I always take it to dinner in the dining room. Have always needed it there. We take 200-300 or more pictures on our cruises. I scrapbooked our last cruise and have pictures of every nook and cranny aboard the Elation plus all the fun stuff we did. When I take pictures on our cruises, the one thing I think of is, "what would someone who has never been on a cruise want to see?" It's a great way to relive your trip. :D TG23

I take my SLR & the hubby carries the digital camera. I take any where from 500-1000 photos between all the camera's. I have a film SLR (yes they still make film cameras) and usually shot all 50 rolls with it. The hubby uses the digital camera & I have a smaller point & shot digital camera. We also take water cameras & a disposible (for parasailing, if it gets dropped no big deal).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

YES!! We are both camera nuts. I was a "pro" for 20 years,and still carry a camera everywhere. My wife will shoot 200-400 pics on a 7 day cruise and I bring the laptop so we can filter them.

I agree... when that special "Photo op" shows up, and your camera is in the cabin, it's too late... besides, it's the best way to have those memories fresh in your mind for years to come.

I'm a picture freak and was wondering if you all have certain times you carry your camera on board with you or if you always have it. I'd hate to miss a great shot by not having it, but I don't want to look insane constantly carrying my camera with me. :eek:

I purposely bought a Sony DSC that is small enough to fit in my pocket or fanny pack. I quess the fact I have taken over 24,000 shots with it says I never miss a shot either. :D

I take my SLR & the hubby carries the digital camera. I take any where from 500-1000 photos between all the camera's. I have a film SLR (yes they still make film cameras) and usually shot all 50 rolls with it. The hubby uses the digital camera & I have a smaller point & shot digital camera. We also take water cameras & a disposible (for parasailing, if it gets dropped no big deal).

My DW has not felt comfortable switching to digital yet. She has a 35mm with a couple of telephoto lens'. She is not a swimmer so we don't worry about the water.

When we are in a tender port her telephoto lens' give us better pictures, then any digital that we have seen, of the port from the ship.

I am a photoaholic also.....we are going on our first cruise 2/07 and I feel better knowing I won't be the only one who always has the camera! I didn't want to feel like a geek:o!! I am going to buy DH a point & shoot for his birthday so we both will have a camera.....and we will have the disposable underwater cameras and maybe Santa will bring a video camera for Christmas before the cruise :D ......

Two (or more:p ) cameras are better than one!!

Rachel

Two (or more:p ) cameras are better than one!!

Rachel

Rachel- you sound just like me. My last major trip I took the digital, the APS (for some cool panoramic shots) and a regular 35 mm with telephoto lens.:D

The Century will be my first cruise, but I plan on having at least 1 camera within arms reach constantly! I don't care if others think I'm strange. ;)

Valerie,

I have a kodak 7590 w/10x optical zoom...I don't have any lenses for it...I have been thinking about getting a circular polarizer...We just went to my MIL house for vacation this past year, if that is considered a vacation :confused: did some sight-seeing in North Georgia, and I took 300+ pictures :eek:

I can't wait to take all the pictures on the cruise - I am thinking I will need to upgrade from my 1gb memory card to a 2gb memory card:D

Rachel

• 3 months later...
I'm a picture freak and was wondering if you all have certain times you carry your camera on board with you or if you always have it. I'd hate to miss a great shot by not having it, but I don't want to look insane constantly carrying my camera with me.

DH has a case for ours that he puts on his belt before he fastens it...so it's there and hands free.....no chance of setting it down and leaving it.....no you will not look insane at all ;)

I will not leave home without it and can't wait to take as many pictures as the camera and card will allow this upcoming week on my first cruise.:)

I take my digital camera with me too. I usually carry a larger purse or small daypack when travelling so I just fit it in there and I'm ready to go. Also take extra batteries too since I was caught last trip to Toronto without extra batteries on one tour I was taking and had to stop to pick some up. Missed out on a great photo op because I was in the store buying batteries when it happened!

Haven't had the opportunity yet to take it in/near the water. I'm thinking I might just get a smaller one for snorkelling purposes since this is a larger camera I have now and it might be a little inconvenient when swimming.

My digital Canon is so small that I always take it with me, even when I'm not on vacation. You just never know when that perfect picture might happen. I have 2 batteries so I always recharge and change it at the beginning of the month.

I used to take an 35mm SLR with a couple of lens - I found myself taking fewer and fewer pictures, We went digital with the smallest camera available at the time a few years ago - now the only time we miss good pictures is when we're just having too good a time to be bothered. Yes, they're just snap shots, but looking back at the last 25 years of travels the snapshots are the only pictures worth a damn.

I just bought a small digital camera, just in time for my August cruise. Its a Casio Exilim Z60 w/ a 2GB SD card, so i will never run out of space! I purposefully bought the smallest camera i could find so i could easily slip it in my purse, or even my pocket!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ELR9A4/sr=8-2/qid=1152496852/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-0634493-3613541?ie=UTF8

I will never leave my cabin without it!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use a Canon 20D with 16-35-mm wideangle zoom and a Canon ELPH Powershot 500, and carry one or the other almost all the time. Like some of you, I have to document every part of the cruise, not to mention photograph every public room, deck, etc. Recently, I bought an Epson P4000 (a big i Pod-like storage device that holds 80 gig) just to store and sort photos. I still put 'em in there at the end of the day, but just couldn't kill off the bad ones. Fortunately, with 80 gig, I had plenty of space to keep everything. What we learned on our recent Mediterranean cruise and subsequent visit to Germany, is that I need to shoot those little things that we take for granted--like what the train station looked like (ugly), or what train we took (the S9 S-bahn), or what the train ticket looked like. Anyway, you get the picture :)

We always have at least one of our digital cameras with us. On the cruise we'll be taking them (mine's a little Canon while DH's is the Rebel XT) a zoom lens for the XT, spare batteries, spare cards, and possibly the video camera seeing as we're going to Alaska. Oh yeah and the laptop - so every day I can download whatever we've taken on the digitals, erase the cards and start afresh the next morning.

I take pictures of everything on the ship - even the food at dinner. :) Our last (which was also our first) cruise in December 05 we took so many pictures that I'm still scrapbooking them - into album #2. :)

I am a picture freak also; we always have the camera with us on board, but use disposable ones for shore/water excursions. You'll be happy you have it with you on the ship; don't worry about what others think.

• 2 weeks later...

Ummmm---yeah, I take my camera EVERYWHERE. I believe there is a rule that if you are a scrapbooker you must do this. LOL And yes, like the other poster, I also take pictures of my food......my waitstaff, cabin steward, all the fun and games, the artwork on the ship, and so on and so on....

Kathy in Maine

Archived