Jump to content

DeSantis could sink our chances of cruising out of Florida


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Crusin Cindy said:

Enjoy life in your bubble.  We love Governor DeSantis here in Florida.  I have worked with the public since COVID-19 started and have had no problems. My brother is unable to get the vaccine so does that mean he shouldn’t be able to cruise.  It should be you people who are scared that should stay home and not cruise.

Last March all those people stuck on ships weren't scared either

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/30/florida-governor-ron-desantis-cruise-ship-coronavirus-zaandam

Edited by cruisinfanatic
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

No one said any such thing

So you'd rather wear a mask perminately instead of getting the vaccine?

It's thinking like this that is, will prolong getting back to normal for everyone

I love when people just read one part of a paragraph.  Did you even comprehend what I wrote?  When people have discussions normally, it's always beneficial to hear both sides.  I was sharing my opinion about why some people may not want the vaccine.  It doesn't mean I agree with them.  It was merely an observation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm in dallas where we have many control freaks. I dont go anywhere that doesnt have a mask sign and I'm tired of it. Ready to move out of their control. It only shows down herd immunity requiring the same from those vaccinated as those not. I cant think of but one place, taco Buenos, a couple older men had no masks so I took mine off. First ever time. It was so refreshing to not see lock step. For no reason!!

omg I am so jealous of you guys in TX!  Getting ready to visit family outside Houston in a few weeks now that they and I are all vaccinated and honestly cannot wait to be there!

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm not suggesting anything. I reported facts, which I guess you interpreted?  My bil at best was on the fence. He says he reads the doses have side effects, so he might as well take his chances with covid. For SOME with no incentive, they wouldnt get the dose. Your benefit has nothing at all to do with all those out there needing to be persuaded. I'm saying again .... less than 50% have gotten it here, our news says 44%. For SOME there needs to be some incentive, such as they can take off their masks or they say they will take their chances.

 

Especially if you are a healthy 30 year old, they just wouldn't bother if the cdc doesnt change and say ok you can take off masks. They need a reason... or they wouldnt. Give it a few weeks and maybe you will see what I'm talking about since you don't now.

 

The issue should be herd immunity.

Based on my experience with a few of my kids and their friends and especially after the j&j debacle, I agree with you

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm not suggesting anything. I reported facts, which I guess you interpreted?  My bil at best was on the fence. He says he reads the doses have side effects, so he might as well take his chances with covid. For SOME with no incentive, they wouldnt get the dose. Your benefit has nothing at all to do with all those out there needing to be persuaded. I'm saying again .... less than 50% have gotten it here, our news says 44%. For SOME there needs to be some incentive, such as they can take off their masks or they say they will take their chances.

 

Especially if you are a healthy 30 year old, they just wouldn't bother if the cdc doesnt change and say ok you can take off masks. They need a reason... or they wouldnt. Give it a few weeks and maybe you will see what I'm talking about since you don't now.

 

The issue should be herd immunity.

Is that going to be the new focus/excuse for vaccine hesitancy?  Because there is no immediate benefit like not having to wear a mask in public?  Vaccine hesitancy has existed from the very beginning of vaccine distribution.  The continuing guidance to wear a mask when in public is not the overwhelming reason for the hesitancy.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

omg I am so jealous of you guys in TX!  Getting ready to visit family outside Houston in a few weeks now that they and I are all vaccinated and honestly cannot wait to be there!

Well stop by here for lunch. I'd love to see you. Frankie's is back open, but busy. Parking lot is full. Its home made not chain, mexican. I'd dont like crowds but I'd go for lunch. I'm north of dallas, stop by on your way down. 

 

Galveston beaches are wide open if you get the chance. Guess what despite the haters the numbers didnt jump during spring break or from removing mask mandate. They quit claiming to follow the science now that its proved lock downs dont work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Crusin Cindy said:

Enjoy life in your bubble.  We love Governor DeSantis here in Florida.  I have worked with the public since COVID-19 started and have had no problems. My brother is unable to get the vaccine so does that mean he shouldn’t be able to cruise.  It should be you people who are scared that should stay home and not cruise.

Hi, Cindy,

Another Punta Gordian here.😃 

We love our Governor too.  Imagine if we ended up with the guy he ran against!👎

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm in dallas where we have many control freaks. I dont go anywhere that doesnt have a mask sign and I'm tired of it. Ready to move out of their control. It only shows down herd immunity requiring the same from those vaccinated as those not. I cant think of but one place, taco Buenos, a couple older men had no masks so I took mine off. First ever time. It was so refreshing to not see lock step. For no reason!!

On Friday night they had a Street Party in the Town Square at the new community where we are building our house.  I almost declined to go as I didn't feel like walking around but I am so glad we went.  There were TONS of people - old and young - all enjoying themselves with <shock> NO MASKS <shock>.  It was so nice.  There was music, food, beer...I even had a Malibu rum drink (big time for me !).  Of course, there were a few who wore masks but I have no problem with anyone wearing a mask who chooses to.  I'm just DONE with wearing a mask, myself.  Dan and I both declared that since St. Lucie County has now lifted the municipal mask mandate that we will NOT do business with anyone requiring a mask.  If we walk in and someone tells us we must wear a mask, we will turn around and leave.  They have every right to do that and we have every right to do business with someone else.  Very liberating.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

On Friday night they had a Street Party in the Town Square at the new community where we are building our house.  I almost declined to go as I didn't feel like walking around but I am so glad we went.  There were TONS of people - old and young - all enjoying themselves with <shock> NO MASKS <shock>.  It was so nice.  There was music, food, beer...I even had a Malibu rum drink (big time for me !).  Of course, there were a few who wore masks but I have no problem with anyone wearing a mask who chooses to.  I'm just DONE with wearing a mask, myself.  Dan and I both declared that since St. Lucie County has now lifted the municipal mask mandate that we will NOT do business with anyone requiring a mask.  If we walk in and someone tells us we must wear a mask, we will turn around and leave.  They have every right to do that and we have every right to do business with someone else.  Very liberating.

Wonder why Florida's positivity rate is over 10%

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Well stop by here for lunch. I'd love to see you. Frankie's is back open, but busy. Parking lot is full. Its home made not chain, mexican. I'd dont like crowds but I'd go for lunch. I'm north of dallas, stop by on your way down. 

 

Galveston beaches are wide open if you get the chance. Guess what despite the haters the numbers didnt jump during spring break or from removing mask mandate. They quit claiming to follow the science now that its proved lock downs dont work. 

The vaccine didn't have anything to do with it? Just comment on the things you believe in, don't mess up anything by commenting on all the variables.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the J and J shot even though I am desperately afraid of needles. I assumed that I would be safer with the vaccine than without.  No side effects whatsoever.  With the daily high numbers here in PA, I am ok following guidelines which include mask wearing.  I am in a high risk group because of age.  I will do whatever necessary to keep me and my family safe.

 

Covid was a new virus.  Mistakes were made on BOTH sides of the political spectrum and probably will continue.  We need to persevere and pray for the end of Covid which has killed so many innocent people.  Katherine

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

The vaccine didn't have anything to do with it? Just comment on the things you believe in, don't mess up anything by commenting on all the variables.

HUH? The post you were quoting was directed specifically to the poster I quoted and said hey I'd love to meet you if you come thru dallas. Let's have lunch. Am I not allowed to say this. Wow. I dont have a way to pm her or I would. People here are crazy controlling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, time4u2go said:

You're wasting your time.  Some people just refuse to understand/accept that fact.

Pesky problem is facts... since they science behind the facts are clouded by policy by a governmental organization.  If the way they report Covid19 deaths is different from the way they report flu deaths, we might be looking at things differently.  I don’t know the fact of reporting, but I believe there is reason for a person to be skeptical of the facts.  

 

Calling people deniers when you don’t actually know facts or at best facts are fuzzy is hateful... Just sayin

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

No... because I am not a conspiracy theory wack-a-doo. 

Thanks for another ad hominem attack as if there aren’t enough already.🤮

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jean87510 said:

 The other 2 simply refuse to get vaccine because they watch and read news and have determined that its a waste of time to get vaccinated as they still have to get tested if international travel, still have to wear masks, still restrictions everywhere...why bother?  They tell me a lot of their friends feel the same way.  

Yes, they listen to "their friends."  Are their friends scientists or epidemiologists?  Somehow, I doubt it.

 

Why bother?  For their own health as well as the health of all those around them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RFerrington said:

On Friday night they had a Street Party in the Town Square at the new community where we are building our house.  I almost declined to go as I didn't feel like walking around but I am so glad we went.  There were TONS of people - old and young - all enjoying themselves with <shock> NO MASKS <shock>.  It was so nice.  There was music, food, beer...I even had a Malibu rum drink (big time for me !).  Of course, there were a few who wore masks but I have no problem with anyone wearing a mask who chooses to.  I'm just DONE with wearing a mask, myself.  Dan and I both declared that since St. Lucie County has now lifted the municipal mask mandate that we will NOT do business with anyone requiring a mask.  If we walk in and someone tells us we must wear a mask, we will turn around and leave.  They have every right to do that and we have every right to do business with someone else.  Very liberating.

 

On the bottom half of Hutchinson Island the beaches are beautiful, full and lively, a lot of people biking or walking, etc..  It would seem, to a reasonable person, that such outdoor living is a lot safer than sitting within 6' of 9-18 people on an airplane?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Agree, aside from wearing my mask at the hospital, I have not worn one in public (grocery, Lowe’s, restaurants, gym, Petco) in well

over a month. 

Are you seriously proud of this?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I agree with you.  However look at the other side.  If masks are going to be permanent, why get vaccine?  If there is no progressive relaxation of rules, why bother?  Im not talking about cruises.  Im talking about everyday life.  I was vaccinated because of my job and because I didnt want the full blown covid.  But if I could get the same result from wearing a mask, why bother with vaccine when you still have to mask up and social distance?  Just playing devils advocate here.

Aren't we all still waiting for the guidance from the CDC that vaccinated people do not transmit Covid to others? I know there has been speculation and some studies from Israel that do lean that way but......still no definite word from the CDC.

 

I truly believe, once it has been determined that vaccinated people can not transmit Covid to others, there should be guidance that vaccinated people do not have to wear masks in public. There is a huge caveat to that though, unfortunately. That being, how does anyone know who has been vaccinated and who has not been vaccinated? Barring getting a tattoo on one's forehead, how does a person prove they are vaccinated when out and about in public? That seems to be the hurdle we need to get over.

Edited by coffeebean
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Wonder why Florida's positivity rate is over 10%

Positivity rate is useless, especially now that people are vaccinated and the CDC has said anyone vaccinated who thinks they were exposed to covid doesn't need to be tested unless symptomatic.

 

And Florida's positivity rate isn't anywhere close to 10.

 

Positivity-April-17-2021-Resized.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Are you seriously proud of this?

Pride has nothing to do with it, relief and joy are more appropriate feelings.

 

In Texas, vaccines are open to EVERYONE 16 and up, in North Texas the average wait for a vaccine is "same day". We aren't wearing masks because someone else is too stubborn or lazy to get their shot, their safety is now on them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Yes, they listen to "their friends."  Are their friends scientists or epidemiologists?  Somehow, I doubt it.

 

Why bother?  For their own health as well as the health of all those around them.

If that argument worked they wouldnt be spending so much time going into minority neighborhood trying to sign them up. Last nights news featured a group in a hispanic neighborhood.  Gotta convince minorities here especially as they have lowest numbers vaccinated.  They will give you a free ride, just come get a shot. Please. 

 

Maybe you dont live in a minority area like I do and hear them refuse. Telling them it's for others good isnt working. They are sceptical and not all speak english as a first language or at all. People on cc are more educated, so maybe they dont get how hard it is to convince those who are skeptical. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, baldilocks said:

Being vaccinated makes me a basic non-carrier to what I have read.

Really? I've been waiting for the CDC to make that announcement. Did you actually hear that vaccinated people can not transmit Covid to others? Where did you hear or read that? I would LOVE to be able to remove my mask in public as I'm fully vaccinated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Maybe you dont live in a minority area like I do and hear them refuse. Telling them it's for others good isnt working. They are sceptical and not all speak english as a first language or at all. People on cc are more educated, so maybe they dont get how hard it is to convince those who are skeptical. 

Not sure how your comment responded to my post but I wanted to share some information about Queens, where I live.  here's the data...

 

"Queens is not only the most diverse borough, it is the most diverse county in the entire USA. See Atlantic Article[1]. Of course, there are other possible measures of diversity but Queens is

27.6% White nonLatinx
27.5% Latinx
22.8% Asian=American
17.7% Black nonLatinx
0.3% Native American
4% other
and, in each of the large categories, it is diverse. The Whites are from all over Europe, the Latinxes from the Hispanophone Caribbean, Mexico, Central and South America, the Asians from all over that vast continent."

 

Sadly, much minority aversion to the vaccines has its roots in the "Tuskegee Syphilis Study," a government study that deceived and led to the death of countless Black Americans...

 

"Officially named the Study of Untreated Syphilis in the Negro Male, the U.S. Public Health Service, working with the Tuskegee Institute, recruited hundreds of rural Black men in 1932. The study offered free meals and checkups, but never explained that participants would be human subjects in a study designed to withhold medical treatment."

 

Hope this is helpful!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Crystal Cruises - New! Luxury Bahamas Escapes
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...