DeSantis could sink our chances of cruising out of Florida

5 hours ago, Tippyton said:

Two things. 

One, skepticism.  Reminds me of the old turtle and the hare cartoon where the turtle says " I think somebody's a-trickin me".  We've been hit daily for a year about all the things that we can do to prevent covid.   Half think its BS, and the other half play devil's advocate and think if it works and I cant change behavior anyway so why bother...I'm good.

Two - people like me.  I've already had it, so why do I need it.  Nobody can answer this with any scintilla of science.

This article may answer your question.....

Natural Immunity from Covid is not safer than a vaccine

2 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Not sure how your comment responded to my post but I wanted to share some information about Queens, where I live.  here's the data...

"Queens is not only the most diverse borough, it is the most diverse county in the entire USA. See Atlantic Article[1]. Of course, there are other possible measures of diversity but Queens is

27.6% White nonLatinx
27.5% Latinx
22.8% Asian=American
17.7% Black nonLatinx
0.3% Native American
4% other
and, in each of the large categories, it is diverse. The Whites are from all over Europe, the Latinxes from the Hispanophone Caribbean, Mexico, Central and South America, the Asians from all over that vast continent."

Sadly, much minority aversion to the vaccines has its roots in the "Tuskegee Syphilis Study," a government study that deceived and led to the death of countless Black Americans...

"Officially named the Study of Untreated Syphilis in the Negro Male, the U.S. Public Health Service, working with the Tuskegee Institute, recruited hundreds of rural Black men in 1932. The study offered free meals and checkups, but never explained that participants would be human subjects in a study designed to withhold medical treatment."

Hope this is helpful!

Idk that helps, I was going by your comments. Actually the top of your area shows white, but not by much. My suburb is mainly hispanic. I dont think they heard of that black issue. Our newspaper says they believe it might stop them from having children. .. though I've read this from various cc posters as well. Who knows why. I dont think some here are easily persuaded for whatever reason. 

For a couple of weeks they limited vaccine sign up to underserved zip codes. Lucky me. My zip is considered low income, high minority counts. My parents live 5 minutes away and wouldnt move. I was looking for a cheap place to buy near them. Not where I'd have chosen to invest but here I am. When texas went to anyone over age 16, 2 weeks before the rest, many on cc said proof texas is having vaccine sign up issues. Could be. 

Again the issue here which you dont give any insight on how to overcome is they aren't signing up for the vaccine. Some incentive may be needed, I dont know, but we might not reach herd immunity. 

Any ideas to offer how to get them to sign up? I mentioned they were minorities to paint a picture. Also lower income than suburbs around me. Having internet I hear is a issue, to sign up. But thanks for insight into ny, but zero ideas how to solve the problem here of sign ups.

10 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Is your BIL concerned about side effects such as a fever and the side effects that are associated with a fever? If that is what he is concerned about, he is surely a wimp with a capital "W". Flu like symptoms are the most common side effects from the mRNA vaccines. That is one very small price to pay for being protected from the disease and to do his part for our country to reach a SAFE herd immunity. Tell you BIL to suck it up and get vaxxed, for crying out loud. Be a MAN and just do it!

Lol they said they might as well worry about covid. Guess who got covid. My sister and bil. During the February freeze. He wound up in the hospital on oxygen that couldnt get delivered for home use. My sister is a slow learner and her grasp of facts, ..she will do whatever he does. And hes not a genius. But was blindly saying god would watch over him, he didnt need the shots. Hard to argue with him about god!! 

People have all kinds of intelligence levels, education, and other reasons. So far none listen to me. I got vaccinated..and my parents I took them to get shots. All I can do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crusin Cindy said:

Enjoy life in your bubble.  We love Governor DeSantis here in Florida.  I have worked with the public since COVID-19 started and have had no problems. My brother is unable to get the vaccine so does that mean he shouldn’t be able to cruise.  It should be you people who are scared that should stay home and not cruise.

Anyone unable to be vaccinated for medical reasons, unfortunately, will have to wait until NCL's vaccination requirement for adults is lifted. Sorry about that. There are other vacation options for those who can not be vaccinated.

Give the cruise lines the opportunity to sail as safely as possible and get their ships sailing again. I sincerely doubt the vaccination requirement won't be forever. Having  vaccinated people stay home is truly ridiculous if you think about it. Those are the folks who will not become very ill from Covid while in the middle of the ocean and will not pose a risk to the cruise line and the cruise industry.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Is your BIL concerned about side effects such as a fever and the side effects that are associated with a fever? If that is what he is concerned about, he is surely a wimp with a capital "W". Flu like symptoms are the most common side effects from the mRNA vaccines. That is one very small price to pay for being protected from the disease and to do his part for our country to reach a SAFE herd immunity. Tell you BIL to suck it up and get vaxxed, for crying out loud. Be a MAN and just do it!

Lol they said they might as well worry about covid. Guess who got covid. My sister and bil. During the February freeze. He wound up in the hospital on oxygen that couldnt get delivered for home use. My sister is a slow learner and her grasp of facts, ..she will do whatever he does. And hes not a genius. But was blindly saying god would watch over him, he didnt need the shots. Hard to argue with him about god!! 

People have all kinds of intelligence levels, education, and other reasons. So far none listen to me. I got vaccinated..and my parents I took them to get shots. All I can do.

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm not suggesting anything. I reported facts, which I guess you interpreted?  My bil at best was on the fence. He says he reads the doses have side effects, so he might as well take his chances with covid. For SOME with no incentive, they wouldnt get the dose. Your benefit has nothing at all to do with all those out there needing to be persuaded. I'm saying again .... less than 50% have gotten it here, our news says 44%. For SOME there needs to be some incentive, such as they can take off their masks or they say they will take their chances.

Especially if you are a healthy 30 year old, they just wouldn't bother if the cdc doesnt change and say ok you can take off masks. They need a reason... or they wouldnt. Give it a few weeks and maybe you will see what I'm talking about since you don't now.

The issue should be herd immunity.

How is your BIL? Is he still in the hospital with covid?

Despite the anecdotal reports of slowing vaccinations there really is no significant drop off in vaccination rates and to the extent there is that might be associated with the Johnson & Johnson snafu. See 2nd graph at link. The United States is vaccinating about 3.3 Million daily  on a 7 day moving average which is close to the best performance during the entire pandemic. In fact, I think there is a substantial increase in available venues to include a much higher number of local pharmacies may be a substantial factor. More venues =less waiting time=better vaccination performance and less waiting time. The evidence is that we are far far ahead of the projections even months or weeks ago. Great job

Of course, we know there are ignorant people who will not get the vaccine and we know the profile of who those people are. They damn sure aren't helping us get back to cruising or ending the pandemic

CDC COVID Data Tracker

Edited by Stallion
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

How is your BIL? Is he still in the hospital with covid?

Hes out now. At age 82 with diabetes he should have gotten the vaccine, but trying to convince him just made him upset. My sister is harder to tell. She cant make change for $1 and has so much trouble communicating it's hard to judge affects of covid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

If that argument worked they wouldnt be spending so much time going into minority neighborhood trying to sign them up. Last nights news featured a group in a hispanic neighborhood.  Gotta convince minorities here especially as they have lowest numbers vaccinated.  They will give you a free ride, just come get a shot. Please. 

Maybe you dont live in a minority area like I do and hear them refuse. Telling them it's for others good isnt working. They are sceptical and not all speak english as a first language or at all. People on cc are more educated, so maybe they dont get how hard it is to convince those who are skeptical. 

You would think that those who are less educated and skeptical would take note of all the more educated people who are clamoring for the vaccine and getting themselves vaxxed. Wouldn't those less educated folks at least understand that people in "high places" and celebrities have received the vaccine for everyone to see. That is what those public service announcements are for. You don't have to understand English when you can just watch the vaccination process with famous people. Wouldn't that convince them? I'm at a loss to understand their skepticism. Am I being really naive about this?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Stallion said:

Despite the anecdotal reports of slowing vaccinations there really is no significant drop off in vaccination rates and to the extent there is that might be associated with the Johnson & Johnson snafu. See 2nd graph at link. The United States is vaccinating about 3.3 Million daily  on a 7 day moving average which is close to the best performance during the entire pandemic. In fact, I think there is a substantial increase in available venues to include a much higher number of local pharmacies may be a substantial factor. More venues =less waiting time=better vaccination performance and less waiting time. The evidence is that we are far far ahead of the projections even months or weeks ago. Great job

CDC COVID Data Tracker

You might take into consideration they have opened it now to all adults. As the waiting lists are cleared it will slow. We just cleared waiting lists Thursday.  

I predict a month from now a slow down will be obvious.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Any ideas to offer how to get them to sign up? I mentioned they were minorities to paint a picture. Also lower income than suburbs around me. Having internet I hear is a issue, to sign up. But thanks for insight into ny, but zero ideas how to solve the problem here of sign ups.

That's the question, isn't it?  In minority communities, there is a general distrust of the federal government.  That will take time to overcome.

There are some remedies, however.  Many, not all,  minority communities are also poorer communities.  Statistically, they lack access points to obtain the vaccine.  They have less pharmacies and medical facilities than other areas.  This can be remedied by sending mobile vaccination sites into those localities.  

A second issue is information.  Poorer communities have less technology (ipads, computers, etc.) and less internet access.  This has been demonstrated by the need for at home online education.  Many kids in poorer areas don't have internet devices or access.   Providing families with that access would improve the educational component. 

There's much more that could be done but I truly appreciate your interest in solutions.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Not sure how your comment responded to my post but I wanted to share some information about Queens, where I live.  here's the data...

"Queens is not only the most diverse borough, it is the most diverse county in the entire USA. See Atlantic Article[1]. Of course, there are other possible measures of diversity but Queens is

27.6% White nonLatinx
27.5% Latinx
22.8% Asian=American
17.7% Black nonLatinx
0.3% Native American
4% other
and, in each of the large categories, it is diverse. The Whites are from all over Europe, the Latinxes from the Hispanophone Caribbean, Mexico, Central and South America, the Asians from all over that vast continent."

Sadly, much minority aversion to the vaccines has its roots in the "Tuskegee Syphilis Study," a government study that deceived and led to the death of countless Black Americans...

"Officially named the Study of Untreated Syphilis in the Negro Male, the U.S. Public Health Service, working with the Tuskegee Institute, recruited hundreds of rural Black men in 1932. The study offered free meals and checkups, but never explained that participants would be human subjects in a study designed to withhold medical treatment."

Hope this is helpful!

OK....I've been educated about the Syphilis study on another forum so I'm aware of the skepticism in the black community. Having said that, do they think they will not be getting the actual vaccine? If that is what they think, then why not get the vaccine if it is actually the real vaccine they get? What does it matter to them if they get a placebo when they don't want to get the shot to begin with? Their reasoning about the Siphilis study does not hold any water to me.

They should just go for it and get vaxxed. Or......do they think they will be getting a shot of poison? What goes through their minds? I wish I can understand their mindset.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

How about billboards around town with pictures of famous people getting vaxxed? Past presidents and their wives did photo ops. How about celebrities getting vaxxed?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

You might take into consideration they have opened it now to all adults. As the waiting lists are cleared it will slow. We just cleared waiting lists Thursday.  

I predict a month from now a slow down will be obvious.

Those were waiting lists for the large venues such as Fair Park. Nobody wants to go to those large facilities 20 miles away when all their friends tell them they got their vaccinations at the corner pharmacy after a 10 minute wait. The pharmacy program has been widely expanded with great success. Eventually it will slow down because a segment of the population believes in conspiracy theories, evangelical nonsense and vou-dou medicine--it will be quite illuminating I'm sure. I still believe we can reach herd immunity relatively quickly

Edited by Stallion
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

How about billboards around town with pictures of famous people getting vaxxed? Past presidents and their wives did photo ops. How about celebrities getting vaxxed?

There are some planned national media programs planned in the next few weeks which will feature national celebrities encouraging people to get vaccinated. They are timing those to reach the most hesitant. Example: celebrities, including Sterling K. Brown, Lana Condor, Billy Crystal, Eric Dane, Ryan Eggold, Dr. Vin Gupta, Faith Hill, Jennifer Hudson, Dale Jarrett, Ken Jeong, Joe Jonas, Eva Longoria, Jennifer Lopez, Demi Lovato, Joel McHale, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Kumail Nanjiani, Ellen Pompeo, Amanda Seyfried, Jane Seymour and Wanda Sykes.

Barack Obama, Joe Biden to appear in TV special to promote Covid-19 vaccinations - CNNPolitics

Edited by Stallion
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, yogimax said:

About 50% of one political group have declared they will never be vaccinated.  They would probably fall into the category you call "more educated."  So what is their excuse for not listening?

Are minorities a "political group"?

wasn't there just a post saying those in low economic areas, less educated people are refusing the vaccine? I'm confused! 🤪

From PewResearch:

Black Americans have consistently been less likely than other racial or ethnic groups to say they’d get a coronavirus vaccine or already have received at least one dose, but a majority still plan to do so. Around six-in-ten Black adults (61%) said in February that they would probably or definitely get a vaccine or had received at least one dose. That was up from 42% who said in November that they would definitely or probably get a coronavirus vaccine. But the Black share of adults who said they would get a vaccine or had already received one dose was still below the shares of Asian (91%), Hispanic (70%) and White (69%) adults who said the same in the February survey.

Edited by CaroleSS

39 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I see where you are coming from. Yes, agree, there are different levels of intelligence.

"It is difficult to win an argument with a smart person but damn near impossible to win and argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

36 minutes ago, Stallion said:

There are some planned national media programs planned in the next few weeks which will feature national celebrities encouraging people to get vaccinated. They are timing those to reach the most hesitant. Example: celebrities, including Sterling K. Brown, Lana Condor, Billy Crystal, Eric Dane, Ryan Eggold, Dr. Vin Gupta, Faith Hill, Jennifer Hudson, Dale Jarrett, Ken Jeong, Joe Jonas, Eva Longoria, Jennifer Lopez, Demi Lovato, Joel McHale, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Kumail Nanjiani, Ellen Pompeo, Amanda Seyfried, Jane Seymour and Wanda Sykes.

Barack Obama, Joe Biden to appear in TV special to promote Covid-19 vaccinations - CNNPolitics

Thank you for this information. Surely hope it changes some minds.

4 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Hogwash!  Wearing a mask to protect others is common courtesy.  I wear one for that very reason.  I am fully vaccinated, but will continue to do so in public areas until the guidance changes.  

What is so difficult for you to understand that guidance did come in Texas? I refuse continue to wear a face covering to protect anyone any longer. Vaccines are readily available across the state. If people want protection they can get it.  Why is it that you do not understand this logic? I take it that your state is in a bad way or something and as a result you are in a completely different state of mind when discussing anything regarding covid.

So let's make this deal...you follow your governor and let others follow theirs. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm in dallas where we have many control freaks. I dont go anywhere that doesnt have a mask sign and I'm tired of it. Ready to move out of their control. It only shows down herd immunity requiring the same from those vaccinated as those not. I cant think of but one place, taco Buenos, a couple older men had no masks so I took mine off. First ever time. It was so refreshing to not see lock step. For no reason!!

You just gotta do it. Keep the mask in your pocket and just go. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

This article may answer your question.....

Natural Immunity from Covid is not safer than a vaccine

[sigh]

I read the whole article.  If one were to tie a bow around all of it, it is saying that a vaccine is a known dosage with known and studied outcomes, whereas the actual disease is a little-understood wildcard with outcomes that are worse than vaccines.  I 100% agree.

But that's not my argument.  This article has elements that support my stance - previously infected people are immune and it likely lasts years, and there is no need for a vaccine.  I still have seen nothing science-based that supports a contrarian view.

4 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

What is so difficult for you to understand that guidance did come in Texas? I refuse continue to wear a face covering to protect anyone any longer. Vaccines are readily available across the state. If people want protection they can get it.  Why is it that you do not understand this logic? I take it that your state is in a bad way or something and as a result you are in a completely different state of mind when discussing anything regarding covid.

So let's make this deal...you follow your governor and let others follow theirs. 

Gov. Abbott said, and I quote, "Today's announcement [lifting the mask mandate] does not abandon safe practices that Texans have mastered over the past year. Instead, it is a reminder that each person has a role to play in their own personal safety and the safety of others."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1