Jump to content

DeSantis could sink our chances of cruising out of Florida


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, koolZip said:

I would go so far as to call DeSantis one of the most pro-virus governors in the country. Since the very beginning of the pandemic he has been recklessly obstinate and criminally incompetent in protecting the residents of his state. From allegedly false reporting of COVID deaths and infections to blocking municipalities from instituting mask requirements to his sweetheart vaccine deal with large donor Publix, he has shown himself to be a corrupt and venal politician. If anyone can sink the prospect of cruises out of FL in the near future, he can.

 

and yet after all of these allegations, Florida has been opened and business flourishing all the while Florida is in the top percentile of most covid stats when comparing the other states. When I rthink of a Governor's policy of failure to protect their state from Covid, the only name that comes to mind is Cuomo and his nursing home death scandal. Such as it is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

We have watched governors all over the country tell businesses what to do for the last year with very little restraint from the courts.  I'd say if the Gov of Michigan can prevent the sale on non-essential goods in big box stores and make them rope off garden seed the Gov. of Florida can do the opposite.

Right? Plenty of people around this country have applauded the lock down orders implemented by Gov Whitmer and many others "they can do whatever they want," and now they're mad that Gov De Santis is doing what he can to help his state. Can't have it both ways, folks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

FYI. Per Reuters, metrics as of 4/11/21. Sort columnar data in descending order by highest percentage cases to date.  CA 1st place; TX 2d; FL is 3rd place in the nation.  I won't be setting foot in FL even for a beloved cruise. And certainly will not be taking my life in my hands by playing Russian Roulette with my health by sailing with people who on principle are ok with jeopardizing their own health and others' with contracting a potentially deadly disease that has taken at least half a million precious lives so far.  And I get my 2d Pfizer shot this Friday.  Thank God I live in a place where public spaces are banning people who refuse to wear masks at a minimum, and where everyone is getting vaccinated.  All the more reason to bring big ships up north, but they just won't budge.

Where U.S. coronavirus cases are on the rise (reuters.com)

Edited by SailyaCruise
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Right? Plenty of people around this country have applauded the lock down orders implemented by Gov Whitmer and many others "they can do whatever they want," and now they're mad that Gov De Santis is doing what he can to help his state. Can't have it both ways, folks.

if Florida is so terrible why is Whitmers aide vacationing there right now with a son at home with covid?  Asking for a friend.  

 

btw - good point!

Edited by jean87510
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Right? Plenty of people around this country have applauded the lock down orders implemented by Gov Whitmer and many others "they can do whatever they want," and now they're mad that Gov De Santis is doing what he can to help his state. Can't have it both ways, folks.

FWIW, Whitmer's orders were ruled unconstitutional.   Does little good at the time though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SailyaCruise said:

FYI. Per Reuters, metrics as of 4/11/21. Sort columnar data in descending order by highest percentage cases to date.  CA 1st place; TX 2d; FL is 3rd place in the nation.  I won't be setting foot in FL even for a beloved cruise. And certainly will not be taking my life in my hands by playing Russian Roulette with my health by sailing with people who on principle are ok with jeopardizing their own health and others' with contracting a potentially deadly disease that has taken at least half a million precious lives so far.  And I get my 2d Pfizer shot this Friday.  Thank God I live in a place where public spaces are banning people who refuse to wear masks at a minimum, and where everyone is getting vaccinated.  All the more reason to bring big ships up north, but they just won't budge.

Where U.S. coronavirus cases are on the rise (reuters.com)

Which data are you sorting on exactly?

I looked at "Where cases increased the most in the last week" and sorted that by "CASES TO DATE per 100k"

Dakotas are in the lead,  Florida is within a couple of the middle.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, D C said:

FWIW, Whitmer's orders were ruled unconstitutional.   Does little good at the time though. 

Correct, they were, but take a guess at how many people stood behind her and agreed with her unconstitutional orders? A lot! Last year I remember lots of people doing the "but it's for our own good" nonsense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, SailyaCruise said:

FYI. Per Reuters, metrics as of 4/11/21. Sort columnar data in descending order by highest percentage cases to date.  CA 1st place; TX 2d; FL is 3rd place in the nation.  I won't be setting foot in FL even for a beloved cruise. And certainly will not be taking my life in my hands by playing Russian Roulette with my health by sailing with people who on principle are ok with jeopardizing their own health and others' with contracting a potentially deadly disease that has taken at least half a million precious lives so far.  And I get my 2d Pfizer shot this Friday.  Thank God I live in a place where public spaces are banning people who refuse to wear masks at a minimum, and where everyone is getting vaccinated.  All the more reason to bring big ships up north, but they just won't budge.

Where U.S. coronavirus cases are on the rise (reuters.com)

 

I thank God you do too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Plenty of people around this country have applauded the lock down orders implemented by Gov Whitmer and many others "they can do whatever they want," and now they're mad that Gov De Santis is doing what he can to help his state. Can't have it both ways, folks.

 

Several people are saying this, but does it really work as a logical argument? 

 

Can't someone just reverse it and say:

 

"People opposed governors telling businesses what they can't do during lockdowns, but now applaud DeSantis for telling  businesses what they can't do about vaccine requirements.  They can't have it both ways"

 

Edited by Shorewalk Holmes
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SailyaCruise said:

image.png.6027304c07f1faf0ab60f93acb7cb8d9.png

What does this suggest? I see red states and blue states, states that have strict mask policies and others that don’t. Interestingly all states are in warmer climates and are travel magnets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

 

Several people are saying this, but does it really work as a logical argument? 

 

Can't someone just reverse it and say:

 

"People opposed governors telling businesses what they can't do during lockdowns, but now applaud DeSantis for telling  businesses what they can't do about vaccine requirements.  They can't have it both ways?"

Of course it can be reversed. I'm merely pointing out the hypocritical double standard at work, i.e. it's OK for MY governor to pass executive order such-and-such but not for FL Gov DeSantis. Nope, doesn't work that way, folks. Besides, his order hasn't even been decided on, whereas things like Michigan's and California's have.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Over 500,000 deaths and counting.  Those people will never cruise.  That number does not lie.  And this thread strengthens my resolve not to step foot in FL for the time being.  I thank you all for your opinions, and I hope to sail and have drinks at bar crawls with you someday.

Edited by SailyaCruise
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SailyaCruise said:

Over 500,000 deaths and counting.  Those people will never cruise.  That number does not lie.

Actually 6% of total according to CDC in Sept 2020.  6% is directly related to Covid, the other 94% had underlying conditions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

 

Several people are saying this, but does it really work as a logical argument? 

 

Can't someone just reverse it and say:

 

"People opposed governors telling businesses what they can't do during lockdowns, but now applaud DeSantis for telling  businesses what they can't do about vaccine requirements.  They can't have it both ways"

 

 

I'm curious as to what other business' wish to require an individual to prove vaccination. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sjg1973 said:

Actually 6% of total according to CDC in Sept 2020.  6% is directly related to Covid, the other 94% had underlying conditions.

Exactly, so it's more like 30,000 who won't cruise. Not 500,000. And, FYI people died every year and "couldn't cruise" before Covid-19.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sjg1973 said:

Actually 6% of total according to CDC in Sept 2020.  6% is directly related to Covid, the other 94% had underlying conditions.

I too have underlying conditions.  That's why I'm very cautious.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SailyaCruise said:

I too have underlying conditions.  That's why I'm very cautious.

I too, exactly why I got and am trusting the vaccine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, sjg1973 said:

Actually 6% of total according to CDC in Sept 2020.  6% is directly related to Covid, the other 94% had underlying conditions.

 

technically they said they believe that the 6% had comorbidities too but they just were not identified

 

so 100% of people who died of Covid had comorbidities

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly don't care if others on my cruise are vaccinated or not. It's not up to me to decide for others. I only ask the same in return. I'll be vaccinated (halfway there already), so I'm statistically very unlikely to even get it (again). And if I did, my symptoms would be mild, even milder than when I had Covid before, and that was already mild. I will say having Covid had one positive effect: it was great for getting rid of annoying door-to-door salespeople. You know how fast people can run when you say "I have Covid"? LOL

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SailyaCruise said:

I too have underlying conditions.  That's why I'm very cautious.

And its completely understandable that you are hesitant.  My 84 yr old mother who is diabetic and not exactly the healthiest person does whatever she wants in TX with her vaccine and mask.  The family cautions her to be careful but she points out it is her life and her choice and she does what is required for her.  You are doing the same.  It isn't what I would do as I have been traveling since June but it works for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...