Jump to content

More NCL ships moving to ports outside USA?


Recommended Posts

The cruise lines need to do what they need to do to survive. The problem as I see it is that the cost to fly into the caribbean to board a ship combined with higher cruise rates will cause many to look at other types of vacations. I love to cruise out of San Juan for the itineraries, but stopped doing that when the airfare skyrocketed. Would rather pay the extra money for more cruise days than airfare. Combine the higher costs with the limitations on excursions, masking, testing and uncertainty about quarantines and I don't think they would have enough passengers to add more caribbean based ships. Hope all goes well for them. I look at this as the test cruises and if all goes well we can start cruising from US ports.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is not a viable business model for the cruise lines to operate out of ports outside the US for Caribbean cruises. Expenses for the cruise lines will be more and airfare will go up drastically with a just a tiny increase in demand. They will never come close to filling even a few ships. Maybe it gets them by while waiting out the CDC for a bit.

In the long run it just flattens the curve to bankruptcy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

It is not a viable business model for the cruise lines to operate out of ports outside the US for Caribbean cruises. Expenses for the cruise lines will be more and airfare will go up drastically with a just a tiny increase in demand. They will never come close to filling even a few ships. Maybe it gets them by while waiting out the CDC for a bit.

In the long run it just flattens the curve to bankruptcy.

 

Depends on where you're flying from.   Many times pre-COVID I found it less expensive to fly to the Caribbean than to Florida.  As a PP pointed out, there's also the lure of spending a few days pre/post cruise in the destination you're sailing out of.   That's our plan for our 2023 Hawaii cruise.  While our plan isn't final yet, we're spending 3-5 days pre-cruise, doing the 7 days cruise, and then spending another couple of days after the cruise.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who knows when things will reopen for them.  I  do know there are is a lot of people that live close to port and do not want to  fly to another port for a cruise. I am referring to the US ports. Its just so convenient to get in your car and drive there.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 4/14/2021 at 3:24 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

 

With or without a vaccine requirement, there will be no US ports absorbing the Florida schedule until the CDC modifies the current Conditionals to Sail order. Once they do, I suspect Florida will get right back in the game. They have too much to lose otherwise. Only time will tell, but I suspect it highly unlikely we will see cruises from Texas, Cali, and NY while none from Florida. In fact, there is speculation that NY and NJ are going to make a formal announcement banning cruise ships until spring of 2022. This game is far from over.

If that’s truly the case, Bahamas,Caribbean and Bermuda have to be ecstatic as they’ll be the beneficiaries.  

 

My flight to Jamaica is the same as it is to MIA.  Hotel costs are similar, plus, I’m spending some time pre-cruise in a resort.  Win-Win!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Goldconnection said:

Just curious, are you speculating NY and NJ making a formal announcement? If not you, who are these people contemplating making this announcement? Please share the “facts”  you have to support this?

 

Gosh, let me apologize. I worded that strangely. I read about NY/NJ making an announcement on one of the many social media sites I follow. It is pure hearsay so nothing formal at all. The husband of one of the dock workers at Port Liberty. Again, I have no 'facts' to back this up and should have worded it differently. I try to be better than that, sorry for any confusion.

 

Bottom line, a friend of a friend of a friend said...... nothing concrete, although they did say the announcement would come in May so we shouldn't have to wait much longer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

If that’s truly the case, Bahamas,Caribbean and Bermuda have to be ecstatic as they’ll be the beneficiaries.  

 

My flight to Jamaica is the same as it is to MIA.  Hotel costs are similar, plus, I’m spending some time pre-cruise in a resort.  Win-Win!

Maybe we're lucky, but like you, a flight to Montego Bay would be about the same as one to MIA. The total cost of a cruise for us with airfare is about the same to Miami so no big deal. I've even thought about seeing if we could do a flight to Punta Cana, stay at an AI for a few days, and then sail from La Romana. It's nice to have these options!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

It is not a viable business model for the cruise lines to operate out of ports outside the US for Caribbean cruises. Expenses for the cruise lines will be more and airfare will go up drastically with a just a tiny increase in demand. They will never come close to filling even a few ships. Maybe it gets them by while waiting out the CDC for a bit.

In the long run it just flattens the curve to bankruptcy.

I agree with most of this except " They will never come close to filling even a few ships."  I believe that they will be able to fill a few ships but nowhere near the number of ships that sail from Florida, let alone other U.S. ports.

However, flattening the curve to bankruptcy is what is required at the moment.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

It is not a viable business model for the cruise lines to operate out of ports outside the US for Caribbean cruises. Expenses for the cruise lines will be more and airfare will go up drastically with a just a tiny increase in demand. They will never come close to filling even a few ships. Maybe it gets them by while waiting out the CDC for a bit.

In the long run it just flattens the curve to bankruptcy.

Agreed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Darcy03231 said:

 

Depends on where you're flying from.   Many times pre-COVID I found it less expensive to fly to the Caribbean than to Florida.  As a PP pointed out, there's also the lure of spending a few days pre/post cruise in the destination you're sailing out of.   That's our plan for our 2023 Hawaii cruise.  While our plan isn't final yet, we're spending 3-5 days pre-cruise, doing the 7 days cruise, and then spending another couple of days after the cruise.  

Still 1 out of X = poor business model.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Maybe we're lucky, but like you, a flight to Montego Bay would be about the same as one to MIA. The total cost of a cruise for us with airfare is about the same to Miami so no big deal. I've even thought about seeing if we could do a flight to Punta Cana, stay at an AI for a few days, and then sail from La Romana. It's nice to have these options!

Yeah....I just booked the Joy out of Jamaica for August.  Going in a couple of days early to extend my vacation.  I’m thinking that will be fun.

 

As far as ships sailing are concerned, all the cruise lines are finding different embarkation ports, all over the world.  I think it was FDR that stated 400,000 passengers have sailed since cruises out of the U.S. was stopped.

 

So, I think they just find different ports (like Jamaica, Bahamas, Bermuda, etc) to sail out of, as they will comply with the NCL mandate for all crew and passengers to be vaccinated.

 

Talking to my TA, she said she’s as busy booking now as she’s ever been.  The demand is very high.  Any of the cruise lines can fill ships out of these new embarkation ports.

 

Anxious to see what the limit for capacity will be in my August cruise.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I've even thought about seeing if we could do a flight to Punta Cana, stay at an AI for a few days, and then sail from La Romana.

 

That's what I'll be doing. I was able to find a flight to Punta Cana out of Newark, NJ (EWR). Here's where I'll be staying;

 

https://www.expedia.com/Punta-Cana-Hotels-Ducassi-Suites-Rooftop-Pool-Beach-Club-Spa.h24362140.Hotel-Information?eapid=0&langid=1033&tpid=1

 

I was really surprised at how affordable this hotel was. I think it was $46 per night!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, farmersfight said:

 

That's what I'll be doing. I was able to find a flight to Punta Cana out of Newark, NJ (EWR). Here's where I'll be staying;

 

https://www.expedia.com/Punta-Cana-Hotels-Ducassi-Suites-Rooftop-Pool-Beach-Club-Spa.h24362140.Hotel-Information?eapid=0&langid=1033&tpid=1

 

I was really surprised at how affordable this hotel was. I think it was $46 per night!


I want you to be very careful here w/water. Chew gum in the shower (so you don’t drink accidentally)- tie a hand towel around your sink to remember not to put your tooth brush in the water- stay away from fruit and vegetables that are water based and irrigated with none potable water (cucks, lettuce, etc...). Please trust me on this. I have not done the research on your particular place, but I consider myself well educated on this particular subject (long story over drinks one day) 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, farmersfight said:

I was really surprised at how affordable this hotel was. I think it was $46 per night!


That seems... very dodgy? Speaking from experience, a DR hotel should not cost less than $50 usd. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/14/2021 at 11:57 AM, Middleager said:

If cruising out of US is the way to survive, you can't blame the cruiselines for doing so.  Everyone needs to try to survive.

 

Cuba has been one of the most economical places in the Caribbeans.  Canadians and Europeans liked to go there, and it has been good that it hasn't been over-run by Americans, yet.   If the US government will normalize relations with Cuba, that can add cruising choices there.

If they're cruising out of a non-US port, and not visiting the US, there's no good reason they couldn't visit Cuba even if the US gov't continues it's anti-Cuban antagonism.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:


I want you to be very careful here w/water. Chew gum in the shower (so you don’t drink accidentally)- tie a hand towel around your sink to remember not to put your tooth brush in the water- stay away from fruit and vegetables that are water based and irrigated with none potable water (cucks, lettuce, etc...). Please trust me on this. I have not done the research on your particular place, but I consider myself well educated on this particular subject (long story over drinks one day) 


I totally get you! Reminds me of the first time I traveled to Cancun Mexico over 25 years ago. I got Montezuma’s Revenge from a salad on my last night! 😱😱 It was bad. I had been soooo careful that entire trip too. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:


I totally get you! Reminds me of the first time I traveled to Cancun Mexico over 25 years ago. I got Montezuma’s Revenge from a salad on my last night! 😱😱 It was bad. I had been soooo careful that entire trip too. 


I don’t want to come off as some arrogant expert, but about 20 years ago I wrote a paper that was referenced in a legal suit in the UK between guests of TUI and BAhai Principa regarding potable water in the DR.  Like I said, long story needed over drinks, but I’ve grown fond of Farmer and want him to be well. This is nothing to mess with and I’m afraid the odds are EXTREMELY high his $46 dollar a night room is going to have issues. At least the all inclusives  take proactive measures but even those fail at a rate higher than any other Caribbean island.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Named-Tawny said:

If they're cruising out of a non-US port, and not visiting the US, there's no good reason they couldn't visit Cuba even if the US gov't continues it's anti-Cuban antagonism.

There can be complications for those holding US passports going into Cuba though, and that'll be a large percentage of those cruisers.

Edited by Middleager
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Named-Tawny said:

If they're cruising out of a non-US port, and not visiting the US, there's no good reason they couldn't visit Cuba even if the US gov't continues it's anti-Cuban ...

 

How did I not think of this!!! Bravo’

image.jpeg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Middleager said:

There can be complications for those holding US passports going into Cuba though, and that'll be a large percentage of those cruisers.

I'd imagine that most of the cruisers on a cruise to Cuba (at least for the time being) would be Canadian or European, given the difficulty of USians getting into Cuba without trouble when they return.

Probably similar to the visitors of Cuban resorts - lots of Canadians, Germans, and some Brits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Named-Tawny said:

I'd imagine that most of the cruisers on a cruise to Cuba (at least for the time being) would be Canadian or European, given the difficulty of USians getting into Cuba without trouble when they return.

Probably similar to the visitors of Cuban resorts - lots of Canadians, Germans, and some Brits.

There were already Cuba only cruises, and yes those would be mostly Canadians and Europeans.  But if one of the main cruiselines wanted to add Cuba as a port to the Caribbean cruises, that'll cause problem for US passport holder. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:


I want you to be very careful here w/water. Chew gum in the shower (so you don’t drink accidentally)- tie a hand towel around your sink to remember not to put your tooth brush in the water- stay away from fruit and vegetables that are water based and irrigated with none potable water (cucks, lettuce, etc...). Please trust me on this. I have not done the research on your particular place, but I consider myself well educated on this particular subject (long story over drinks one day) 

 

O.k., thanks but I'm a little confusion. You are talking about Punta Cana, Dom Rep?  I know you are out in Hawaii currently...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:


That seems... very dodgy? Speaking from experience, a DR hotel should not cost less than $50 usd. 

 

Guess I'll find out. From the reviews and the pictures on Expedia, it looks nice. If it turns out to be a rat hole, I'll pack up and move to another hotel.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:


I totally get you! Reminds me of the first time I traveled to Cancun Mexico over 25 years ago. I got Montezuma’s Revenge from a salad on my last night! 😱😱 It was bad. I had been soooo careful that entire trip too. 

 

No wonder you're sticking to the Pacific side of Mexico (MR) these days...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...