I think we're gonna cancel our cruise...

luckybecky

We are booked on the Pride of America July 31 Hawaii. I was excited about our extended balcony lido deck cabin. Was happy to hear the news that NCL is petitioning the US government to let them start sailing in July. And happy with the 100% vaccinated guest and crew requirement. We absolutely are on board with being safe. Can't wait to start cruising again!!

But we are almost certainly going to cancel due to the NCL shore excursion requirement. 

I called NCL tonight to confirm what I read on the website: that passengers will ONLY be allowed to debark as part of an official NCL excursion. We will not be allowed off the ship except as part of an NCL excursion, period. 

We do not cruise to stay on the ship. We are very active travelers and usually plan our own excursions, with more flexibility and at a fraction of the cost of excursions booked through the cruise line. We are often off the ship soon after docking and stay out as long as we safely can (without risking missing the boat). I don't want to be tied to the ship price and time constraints. For example, if I only did a 4 hour excursion but we are docked for 10 hours, I might want to spend some time exploring the pier area or otherwise doing something on my own. Not gonna be allowed now. 

I know, I know. Them's the rules. If I want to cruise, I gotta follow the rules. I get that. 

But I think that these new rules are self serving. If all guests and crew are vaccinated, then what added benefit accrues from this excursion requirement? Well, it seems to benefit NCL in terms of added -- indeed, mandated -- excursion revenues. 

So, we had 2 cabins booked at a cost of > $10,000 which we are about to cancel, solely because of this rule. I'm sorry about it. We are looking at doing Hawaii on our own, not cruising.

I can't wait to get back to normal. If that ever happens. 

• Like 3

It is possible that the ports will only allow you to get off if you are in a controlled group. This may be being driven by a port requirement rather than NCL's choice. Having said that I am right with you, I will cancel my September Baltic cruise if I can only do ship tours as most ports you can tour on your own and having to do a ship tour at 100$ per day each increases the cost of the holiday and limits your experience.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Trimone said:

It’s all a little disturbing that when you look at exclusions on your planner, that a Hop On Hop Off Bus a is available?

Especially since the 2 day hop on hop off pass booked through  Viator in Monaco is $32.00 p.p.

Whether it's NCL'S or the port city's rules it's a deal breaker. 

14 minutes ago, Trimone said:

It’s all a little disturbing that when you look at exclusions on your planner, that a Hop On Hop Off Bus a is available?

Well, there is no HOHO bus available at any port for our cruise as best I can tell. That's my complaint. There is no opportunity to "do your own thing" -- on a HOHO bus or any other way. NCL is telling me that the ONLY way to get off this ship during this cruise is if you pay their price to go on one of their excursions. From what they told me last night, we will simply not be allowed off the ship, except if we are on a paid NCL excursion. 

That is a deal breaker for me. 

The Hawaii cruises are already exceptionally high priced. Adding to that the lack of flexibility and the requirement to buy NCL excursions... it just puts it over the top of affordability or price-to-value ratio.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJGeorge said:

Especially since the 2 day hop on hop off pass booked through  Viator in Monaco is $32.00 p.p.

Whether it's NCL'S or the port city's rules it's a deal breaker. 

I expect the range of excursions for the Med will change as you get closer to the sail date.  Also the reason the HO/HO is so expensive is that it includes transportation from Cannes to Monaco

Wow. I guess We won't be cruising until these kinds of restrictions are lifted.

Will not be able to cruise until 2023 anyway due to having too many vacations backed up because of the loss of 2020, our miserable year of staycations. Surely things will be back to normal by then. 

We should be docking in the southern Caribbean on the Breakaway today, but we all know what happened to that cruise.

I am not so sure it is just the cruise lines trying to squeeze $$ off passengers by having them only allowed off ship by cruise sponsored excursions.  I think a lot has to do with the individual ports themselves.  They want a "protective bubble" around the passengers so spread is not rampant at the ports. But if all passengers are vaccinated I think that restriction may be lifted as cruising gets back on its' feet.

Edited by pe4all
  • Like 6

I don't blame you. Im still going to Greece in July, but it is frustrating having to book expensive excursions that don't fit exactly what I want. 

The vaccine isn't 100% effective, so we could potentially still get it and spread it, so minimizing contact if ship still makes sense, but I do feel $$$ is at the heart of the decision when it includes all ports. 

Will they not be letting us off in cruise port only areas to shop? 

Hawaii is "close" to opening up to tourists who have been vaccinated without requiring them to quarantine on arrival.  IF this happens and NCL requires vaccination to cruise, then I don't see what the problem is in getting off the ship on your own.  Too many unknowns as of today.  I personally have cancelled all my trips and will not make any non-refundable plans until things are more certain.

• Like 1

While it undoubtedly sucks and may be inconvenient, I think a lot of us (myself included) are in such cruise withdrawal, stir-crazy and burnt out that we'd/I'd be willing to pay a little extra just to get onto a cruise ship, follow the rules, and be able to get off to see the ports via a cruise line excursion. 

• Like 8

Having been on this particular cruise 3 times, here are my thoughts:

POA Hawaii cruises are all about the extended time, including overnights,  on the islands, and if restricted to NCL only excursions it would not be the same experience. Until that changes I would not book this particular cruise.  In summary I think you are making the right decision, but highly recommend that you book it in the future when the rules change - It is a great cruise!

For most other cruises, while I do not like the restriction, I would still happily go and have a great time.

• Like 3

After three cancellations I swore to myself that I would not book any more cruises until I actually saw ships cruising.  But looking at prices going up and up and up, month after month, I felt I had no choice but to book something now, especially since I had CN's expiring soon.  2022 prices are high but doable.  2023 prices are off the wall.  I have a Nov. cruise booked on another line and if I have to use their excursions, so be it.

I agree this is not doable if NCL would only let you off the ship to their excursions.

We've been on this cruise.  In Maui, I booked a very early morning diving to Molokini, which was great as we even got to dive the back wall.  That wouldn't be offered by the ship.  In other ports, I rented a car to get around ourselves.

Hawaii cruise is port intensive.  We'd go on the cruise to see the islands, not to be stuck on NCL excursions.

Edited by Middleager

If it were us, we'd cancel now and book one for 2022 or even 2023.

We have been on POA and we did our own in every port in Hawaii - hired a car in every port and drove around on our own and we had a great time. One day in Maui we drove up to Haleakala, saw Mauna Kea & Mauna Loa across the water to the Big Island. Then on the next day we docked in Hilo and we hired a 4WD car and drove up to Mauna Lea!

DIY is the way to go while in Hawaii, so best to put off until next year at least.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pe4all said:

I am not so sure it is just the cruise lines trying to squeeze $$ off passengers by having them only allowed off ship by cruise sponsored excursions.  I think a lot has to do with the individual ports themselves.  They want a "protective bubble" around the passengers so spread is not rampant at the ports. But if all passengers are vaccinated I think that restriction may be lifted as cruising gets back on its' feet.

I think if we have a few successful cruises with only NCL excursions the restrictions will be lifted. These ports depend on cruisers shopping and spending money. I do think the vaccination required will be around for a long time no way they will risk an unvaccinated person on broad.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Summerstravel said:

I think if we have a few successful cruises with only NCL excursions the restrictions will be lifted. These ports depend on cruisers shopping and spending money. I do think the vaccination required will be around for a long time no way they will risk an unvaccinated person on broad.

I agree the ports depend on tourism dollars.  But I also heard from one of my friends who lives in Oahu that the locals really don't want us back!  She sent me this link:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/04/11/hawaii-news/frustrated-residents-push-back-as-hawaii-tourism-resurges/

• Like 1

I'm one of those who loves sea days and even spending minimal time off ship at islands I've visited before. However, as others have pointed out, Hawaii is a cruise that is custom built for not spending much time on board at all, even for those of us who normally do! 

It certainly has been the sleepiest cruise I ever took in terms of evening activities. Most people seemed to want to be up and off on their excursions the moment we docked so few were up and about long after dinner.

I think you're making a good choice.

Edited by DaisyGoldberg

35 minutes ago, pe4all said:

I agree the ports depend on tourism dollars.  But I also heard from one of my friends who lives in Oahu that the locals really don't want us back!  She sent me this link:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/04/11/hawaii-news/frustrated-residents-push-back-as-hawaii-tourism-resurges/

Unless they would like to secede from the US........... Thats too bad. Hawaii is #7 getting Federal funding. Maybe they should give some of that back if they don't want tourist

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Agree with your thought process.  Some ports are just nice to walk around and explore.  Also concerning about the price increase, rather drastic in some cases, on future cruises is a bit of a deterrent.  They're going to get your $ one way or the other I guess.

We are booked on the POA in September, so I called NCL and the rep told me that this applied for the July/August sailings and that in September we'd once again be able to come and go as we please. But I'm sure that can always change.

• Like 2