Jump to content

Italian ports


Lib0007
 Share

Recommended Posts

What are ports that you would recommend for a cruiser going on their first Mediterranean cruise?   Interested mainly in Italy.   Looking at many itineraries but many places I've never heard of.

 

Thank you!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Lib0007 - Which Italian cities have you seen on cruise itineraries that are not familiar? 

For example, the big hitters like Rome and Florence have no ports near their respective cities. So, for Rome you will see ships dock in Civitavecchia (about an hour from Rome) or Livorno (about an hour from Florence or half hour from Pisa). Ships usually dock in La Spezia for visits to Cinque Terre.

When we dock in Civi or Livorno, we usually take the trains to Rome or Florence. Occasionally we have hired a private driver & shared the ride with members on our roll call.

What cities in Rome are you interested in visiting? There are quite a few Italy experts on Cruise Critic that can help you. 🙂

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Naples is the best port in Italy because (1) you walk off the ship and you're in the historic center of town, no long drives to get there, (2) there are more interesting things to see/do near the port than almost any other port I can think of and (3) there is excellent public transportation (much of it fast ferries) to get you around the area.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree with Eurocruiser about Naples,  we never get tired of visiting.  We also enjoy ports in Sicily!  And of course Venice!  Let us know what itinerary and ports you are considering if you want more feedback.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you!   I have to admit, I haven't done much research yet, was just hoping to hear the "must not miss" ports so I'd know where to start.

 

Presently looking at 8 day RC, Allure I think, Barcelona, Mallorca, Provence, Florence, Rome, Naples; or Rome, Naples, Barcelona, Mallorca, Marseille, Florence on same ship I think.   Or a 10 day on Celebrity Edge from Rome, La Spezia, Cannes, Toulon, Barcelona, Cagliari, Sicily, Naples.   

 

This would be for our 25th anniversary; my husband and I have been on about 45 Caribbean cruises, one to Alaska, and finally ready to venture out!     Thank you in advance for any comments.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the OP is interested in seeing Italy then you have many more options if you simply go to Italy for a few weeks, rent a car, use trains, or take a tour.  While a cruise can get you a few port days, you have lots of limitations on time.  And one of the joys of being in Italy is going out in the evening for food, music, etc.

 

As to ports for a first cruise, Civitavecchia (for Rome), Livorno (for Florence), Naples (lots of options), and perhaps Venice (cruises may no longer be able to dock in Venice). 

 

Hank

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Note the advantages of Naples already mentioned on this thread.

 

But also there's a big big choice of places to go, including.......

Pompeii - about 30 minutes by half-hourly train, or bus, or private tour.  

Herculaneum - about 20 minutes, by ditto transport (by train it's it's a few stops before Pompeii)

Mount Vesuvius - about 30 minutes by taxi, a little complicated by public transport. A steep 15(?) minute uphill walk to the rim (transportation for disabled etc)

Capri - about an hour by ferry

Sorrento - about an hour by ferry or train.

The Amalfi Coast - due to time limitations on a port-of-call this needs to be visited by pre-booked tour

Ischia - 60 to 100 minutes by ferry

 

Some of those places can be combined into one day.

 

You could visit Naples by cruise ship half a dozen times or more and still have places left to see.

 

JB 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

we are doing a rome to venice cruise and 8 days pre cruise in Florence and Rome and 3 post in Venice/Verona.  Taking private transport between Florence and Rome that lets you stop in some beautiful places along the way like Orvieto and Civita di Bagnoregio, pricy but you cant do it on a train and you don't have to worry about luggage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

we are doing a rome to venice cruise and 8 days pre cruise in Florence and Rome and 3 post in Venice/Verona.  Taking private transport between Florence and Rome that lets you stop in some beautiful places along the way like Orvieto and Civita di Bagnoregio, pricy but you cant do it on a train and you don't have to worry about luggage.

For Verona, one must visit the opera.  Hopefully your visit with enable you to go.  Check and pre-book.

Website.  https://www.arena.it/arena/en
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Lib0007 said:

Thank you!   I have to admit, I haven't done much research yet, was just hoping to hear the "must not miss" ports so I'd know where to start.

 

Presently looking at 8 day RC, Allure I think, Barcelona, Mallorca, Provence, Florence, Rome, Naples; or Rome, Naples, Barcelona, Mallorca, Marseille, Florence on same ship I think.   Or a 10 day on Celebrity Edge from Rome, La Spezia, Cannes, Toulon, Barcelona, Cagliari, Sicily, Naples.   

 

This would be for our 25th anniversary; my husband and I have been on about 45 Caribbean cruises, one to Alaska, and finally ready to venture out!     Thank you in advance for any comments.

 

 

Although I usually like a longer cruise,  I would recommend some time before or after in Italy.  Since it’s your anniversary, Tuscany would be a amazing or perhaps Sorrento?  Or Venice!  
 

We have stayed twice in a former castle in Tuscany and have thoroughly enjoyed visiting that area on numerous trips.  But for your first trip it would be a shame to miss Venice,  our favourite big city!  
 

We have enjoyed the Cinque Terre, but landslides and over tourism have had a large negative impact so La Spezia would not be a positive for us as a port. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you all for the helpful info . . . I plan to dive in this weekend on reading up.

 

I would love to take a trip to Italy for a few weeks but we still work . . . so this cruise will just be a "first look" so hopefully upon retirement, we can go back to the places we liked the most.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 1:44 PM, Lib0007 said:

Thank you!   I have to admit, I haven't done much research yet, was just hoping to hear the "must not miss" ports so I'd know where to start.

 

Presently looking at 8 day RC, Allure I think, Barcelona, Mallorca, Provence, Florence, Rome, Naples; or Rome, Naples, Barcelona, Mallorca, Marseille, Florence on same ship I think.   Or a 10 day on Celebrity Edge from Rome, La Spezia, Cannes, Toulon, Barcelona, Cagliari, Sicily, Naples.   

 

This would be for our 25th anniversary; my husband and I have been on about 45 Caribbean cruises, one to Alaska, and finally ready to venture out!     Thank you in advance for any comments.

 

 

Hi,🙂 I hope you have a fantastic time....whichever itinerary you end up choosing. Be prepared for some amazing sites, sounds, tastes, history.........and after 45 Caribbean cruises? I am glad you are branching out.......you may never want to do a Caribbean cruise again LOL......I know it can be relaxing but this cruise may just end up changing how you think about cruising😃..... Personally, I LOVE Florence.....and Italy itself is amazing!!!!!!!!! I am going to Greece this summer but want to go back to Italy again. (been a few times and never tire of it).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Venice was by far my most favorite stop! Had nothing planned either - just walked around for 2 days. We had an overnight there so I considered myself very lucky to be able to enjoy so much time there via a cruise stop. I also enjoyed Rome and Sorrento. There is so much to see in Rome though. I would try and find a cruise that leaves from either Rome/Venice and then returns to the other (Rome/Venice) and add some days on either side. I personally am counting the days until I can go back.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/25/2021 at 4:46 PM, Lois R said:

Hi,🙂 I hope you have a fantastic time....whichever itinerary you end up choosing. Be prepared for some amazing sites, sounds, tastes, history.........and after 45 Caribbean cruises? I am glad you are branching out.......you may never want to do a Caribbean cruise again LOL......I know it can be relaxing but this cruise may just end up changing how you think about cruising😃..... Personally, I LOVE Florence.....and Italy itself is amazing!!!!!!!!! I am going to Greece this summer but want to go back to Italy again. (been a few times and never tire of it).

Agree 100%! All I have ever done were Caribbean cruises. After my mom died (and our dream was to travel to her dad's homeland of Sicily), I took my bucket list trip to Italy 2019! Now with Covid, I am so thankful I didn't wait. It was an amazing 19 days. It was quite expensive for me, but dare I say I really don't care to go back to the Caribbean.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our first and only cruise to Europe had stops in Italy and Greece. We fell in love with Italy and want to return.

Depending on your budget, there are cruise lines with itineraries that focus more on Italy such as Viking Ocean and their Mediterranean Odyssey itinerary.

I would definitely select an itinerary that begins or ends in Rome and spend at least 3 nights pre cruise in Rome. We loved Naples and all of our Italy stops. You will need to rest up from your flight anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 1:28 PM, nini said:

Our first and only cruise to Europe had stops in Italy and Greece. We fell in love with Italy and want to return.

Depending on your budget, there are cruise lines with itineraries that focus more on Italy such as Viking Ocean and their Mediterranean Odyssey itinerary.

I would definitely select an itinerary that begins or ends in Rome and spend at least 3 nights pre cruise in Rome. We loved Naples and all of our Italy stops. You will need to rest up from your flight anyway.

This is what we are leaning towards . . . mostly stops in Italy and Greece, most likely starting in Rome.  I am looking at a couple RC cruises 7-10 day.  and also NCL and Celebrity.  Viking definitely not in my budget unfortunately!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lib0007 said:

This is what we are leaning towards . . . mostly stops in Italy and Greece, most likely starting in Rome.  I am looking at a couple RC cruises 7-10 day.  and also NCL and Celebrity.  Viking definitely not in my budget unfortunately!  

I know what you mean about Viking! I have a friend who will only cruise with Viking Ocean. At least they do include a shore excursion for each port as well as alcoholic beverages and specialty coffee drinks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...