Hypothetical Carnival Question

I really need some help. We are planning a cruise with some family and I don't know what the best option is to do with one of the cabins. 

1) What happens if we book a cabin for two and then only one of the two shows up for the cruise? Is the one who shows up going to have any problems with getting on the cruise?

conversely

2) What happens if we book a cabin for one and then the second person decides they do want to go? Can they be added to that cabin for one if it is a cabin that can normally hold 2 people?

Thank you in advance!!!!

13 minutes ago, Methosage said:

I really need some help. We are planning a cruise with some family and I don't know what the best option is to do with one of the cabins. 

1) What happens if we book a cabin for two and then only one of the two shows up for the cruise? Is the one who shows up going to have any problems with getting on the cruise?

conversely

2) What happens if we book a cabin for one and then the second person decides they do want to go? Can they be added to that cabin for one if it is a cabin that can normally hold 2 people?

Thank you in advance!!!!

1. Not a problem... just have that guest no show. Just say they are arriving separately.

2. You can always add on an additional person but you would have to refare the booking to the current pricing which may be considerably higher.

If two might want to go, but1 for sure, book the 2nd as a TBA and you will be able to add the name later.

If 2nd doesnt go, their taxes and port fees will be refunded to the card that paid after the cruise returns automatically.

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

1. Not a problem... just have that guest no show. Just say they are arriving separately.

2. You can always add on an additional person but you would have to refare the booking to the current pricing which may be considerably higher.

Just a heads up....our PVP has cautioned us that adding someone to the cabin is going to depend on where the ship's capacity stands at the time you want to add someone. Post COVID there will be strict ship capacity requirements (I've heard 50%, but not sure if that's confirmed or not). Once the ship hits the capacity limits, you cannot add someone to your booking even if the cabin can accommodate additional people. My sister booked solo but has put out the invite to a couple of her friends to join - first come, first serve. But again, that depends when our ship hits the capacity limit. I would think until ships actually start sailing, most ships won't book to the those capacity limits, but it's hard to tell when they might reach them. So best to book earlier rather than later. 

Also, you used to be able to book people as a TBD and add the name later. Due to the capacity limits, Carnival is not allowing you to do that right now either. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, MistyRo76 said:

Just a heads up....our PVP has cautioned us that adding someone to the cabin is going to depend on where the ship's capacity stands at the time you want to add someone. Post COVID there will be strict ship capacity requirements (I've heard 50%, but not sure if that's confirmed or not). Once the ship hits the capacity limits, you cannot add someone to your booking even if the cabin can accommodate additional people. My sister booked solo but has put out the invite to a couple of her friends to join - first come, first serve. But again, that depends when our ship hits the capacity limit. I would think until ships actually start sailing, most ships won't book to the those capacity limits, but it's hard to tell when they might reach them. So best to book earlier rather than later. 

Also, you used to be able to book people as a TBD and add the name later. Due to the capacity limits, Carnival is not allowing you to do that right now either. 

Occupancy percentages in the lodging industry (cruise ships included) are calculated by rooms sold.

Edited by xDisconnections
38 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Occupancy percentages in the lodging industry (cruise ships included) are calculated by rooms sold.

I'm just passing along what our PVP has communicated to our group. She was very clear that once they reach the capacity limits for the ship, they cannot take any additional guest bookings even additions to already booked cabins. Of course, I expect things to change as ships get back to sailing and the vaccination rates continue to go up. And they could raise or eliminate the capacity limits at any time. 

My experience in booking for one and adding a second later was that I had already paid the single supplement, so all that it cost was the port fees and taxes for the second person.  $28 was pretty cheap for a 16 night cruise...but my sister still hasn’t paid up...  EM

16 hours ago, Methosage said:

conversely

Thank you in advance!!!!

As most have said, it's probably better to book 2 in the room and have the 2nd be a no-show if they do not cruise.  Whatever you do, do not call ahead of time and change the booking to a 1 person from a 2 person booking.  Carnival can (and has in the past) refused to refund the fee for the 2nd person, change it to a single booking and charge the solo supplement...  in other words, you may end up paying for 3 people with only 1 going.

17 hours ago, firefly333 said:

If 2nd doesnt go, their taxes and port fees will be refunded to the card that paid after the cruise returns automatically.

Which means that someone is still responsible for paying the fare for the no show, that doesn't get refunded. (Just something to be aware of so agreements can be put in place ahead of time.)

3 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Which means that someone is still responsible for paying the fare for the no show, that doesn't get refunded. (Just something to be aware of so agreements can be put in place ahead of time.)

All carnival solo rates are 200% so you only pay the extra fees and taxes... which are refunded after the cruise if no show. 

I haven't seen any carnival rate under double for years. If you know of any fare I can book where I dont pay for 2, please clue me in lol. I cant find any. Even the promos with drinks, I pay based on double occupancy for 2. 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

All carnival solo rates are 200% so you only pay the extra fees and taxes... which are refunded after the cruise if no show. 

I haven't seen any carnival rate under double for years. If you know of any fare I can book where I dont pay for 2, please clue me in lol. I cant find any. Even the promos with drinks, I pay based on double occupancy for 2. 

I was pointing this out because with two friends going presumably the agreement is that each is paying their own fare. If one of them bails the remaining one might get stuck with the whole bill and it's better to have this agreed to before it happens.