Zaandam

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Oosterdam Anchorage

0415Europe.thumb.png.b7aaeab5d56e7eb89f8075117dc3326a.png

0415USA.thumb.png.19779dceabc48ea010f97ff99f5a0a22.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the traditional tax day Daily, Rich.  Today is also an infamous day  in history, the day Titanic met her grave.  A high 5 to American Sigh Language.  I depended heavily on Rubber Erasers while in School.  Gatun Lake is lovely, although straining a bit at the concept of a port.  Interesting quote.  Saucy Skillet Lasagna sounds interesting.  My alternative is Chilled Anjou Pear Soup, Linguini Carbonara, and Butter Pecan Ice Cream as served on MS Zaandam April 15, 2017.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/dishes15.jpg

Today's care list:

Kakalina

St. Vincent

myself facing cardiac surgery

Welfare of furloughed crews

NextOne DH facing chemo

dfish and Horizon Chaser 1957 DH awaiting dental work

RIP Prince Phillip

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Great heart checkup for baltic17 DH

Jab appointment for Horizon Chaser 1957

Outdoor dining for Quartsite Cruiser

Moderna vaccine approaching full FDA approval

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

While we can pray for our crews let us also do our parts to get the pandemic under control and make cruising more possible--wear our masks, wash our hands, keep our distance, and get vaccinated when out turn comes.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 5

Good morning everyone. Up very early this morning to go for my covid test in preparation for my Mohs surgery next week.

We went through the Panama Canal and Gatineau  Lake some years ago. I found going through the canal fascinating. I can’t recall which ship we were on, but it felt like it just fit which is  probably true.

Stay safe everyone and wear your masks.

Carol

• Like 15

Good morning, everyone.   

I certainly salute ASL day in honor of two former students.   Sherry was first and we actually derived a few of our own signs for some algebraic manipulations.  The second student ended up having cochlear implants and, last I heard, was doing very well and living in Germany.  

The dentist went well yesterday.  It turns out I didn't break a tooth.  I broke a crown.  The crown in question was an early porcelain one and I ended up having quite the conversation with the dentist.  At the time, they really weren't recommending porcelain crowns on back grinding teeth.  But, the dentist made the decision without me.  Could it have been that they charged more for porcelain than they did for a gold crown back then?   I told him and the front desk people that I was only paying for gold and that is what I did.

I'm hitting the pool today and then meeting a friend for lunch.   It is so nice to be able to do some of those things again.  

Today's meal gets either wonderful reviews or bad ones, nothing in the middle.  Way too many carbs for me, so I'll stick with my fish and broccoli for tonight.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/saucy-skillet-lasagna/

1 serving: 426 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 858mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein.

Saucy Skillet Lasagna.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

A high five to everyone who makes this thread so enjoyable.

Love the quote, so important to remember.

The dinner suggestion looks good.  Hoping the drink of the day and the wine are wonderful too.

We've got flurries.  Ugh.  I thought it was spring.  Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

Stay safe.

• Like 14

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Sign language has been such a blessing to so many and so worthy of celebrating.  High Fives are rare these days with all the physical distancing so...

BB93B6E7-FA3F-40C8-834F-3841BA3966B6.jpeg.99ca92c3d9df56d1584c2befd628dd0e.jpeg

A sad day in history indeed remembering the tragedy of the Titanic that sank 109 years ago.

That Marquis quote is ever so true!!  The meal suggestion sounds good.  We might have it sans lasagna pasta 😉 

Speaking of meals, thanks @Vict0riann for your recipe version yesterday 🙂  I made it sans artichokes, added celery, mushrooms, onions, herbs de Provence & Italian cheese blend and it was a hit 👍 

@dfishglad to hear your tooth wasn’t broken.  A broken crown can be fixed - a broken tooth not so much.

Looking forward to the wine suggestion description as well as the drink of the day.  I think I’ve had that drink before but will know for certain when summer posts the recipe.

Gatun Lake is a “stop” on the Panama Canal Sunfarer itinerary.  But it’s basically a stop in the lake and any excursions you wish to take must be a ship’s excursion.  We did the Embera Village when we were there.  

Looks like spring is going to be put on hold here 😔 

56E2F4F6-B483-4E6C-B646-D8F21AABA450.jpeg.a9506f8d268e80d8ca65fc3f9bbe6ae8.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone!

E812E2E2-A96E-40D2-A354-BEB129861F1E.thumb.jpeg.5cad9c8efcf73a28110e5f69c5539f8a.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 29
  • Haha 1

Good morning everyone.

Skillet lasagna sounds good, but we will pass on that.  

A big shout out to ASL Day, having worked with many who were hearing impaired.  I have nothing but admiration for the obstacles they overcame to perform their job duties well.

Today is cooler than it has been and we expect some rain.

Our county and town council have decided to let the mask mandate expire tomorrow.  Do not understand the thinking on this.  They think people will be able to act responsibly and do not need a mandate.  We will see.

Not much else to report on this end today.

Have a good and safe day,.

Terri

• Like 16

Good morning.  Great group of days to celebrate.  Tried to take ASL classes several times and they were cancelled for lack of students.  Great quote.  Love the menu, but have had too much pasta lately.  Not sure what will be for dinner.  We've been to Gatun Lake many times, for both partial and full canal crossings.  Will have to hunt and see if I have any pictures.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Hawaiian Sunset:

INGREDIENTS
1 1⁄2 ounces vodka 2 1⁄2 ounces cranberry juice 2 1⁄2 ounces orange juice 1 1⁄2 ounces soda water
DIRECTIONS
Place ice cubes into the glass.
Shake vodka, orange juice and cranberry juice in a shaker.
Pour into glass.
Top off with soda water.
Garnish with cherry and pineapple slice (optional).
Serve in a highball glass.

Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 7.40.30 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! ASL opened up the entire world to folk with hearing disabilities. We need an International Elbow Bump Day. Ahhhh - erasers were my friends back in the day.

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! An interesting white wine. Wonderful quote. The drink sounds and looks lovely. Pass on the meal. Leftover something tonight, my fridge is overflowing. A lovely sunny start to our day here. The unsettled weather seems to be delayed. Works for me.

Hoping to meet with our travel agent to get him started searching for flights for our Iceland trip. Since there is still a possibility that they might not happen, we need to make sure we can easily change the flights with no penalty. The odds of us seeing the Aurora in July are almost nil, so I thought I would share this amazing picture from March. It appeared in the Washington Post, so some of you may have seen this already. 
385DBB1C-8194-426F-BE82-982334CA6E93.jpeg.c7ee4be3ae7ed4982eef57130f08c7d8.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Smoked chicken flesh? Really? In spite of this, the wine sounds very nice and has excellent ratings. I found it for as low as $18.00 online, you might find it for less locally. I am adding this one to my list. 

Winemaker Notes

#41 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

Exotic nose of spicy pears and white peaches, almond paste/marzipan, a touch of honeysuckle perfume. Multi dimensional (many layers), a hard-to-describe range of aromatics, intriguing, almost mysterious! In the mouth it is crisply dry yet creamy and round and full-bodied, with nice almond paste on crisp-yet-juicy pear fruit.  Blend: 45% Grenache Blanc, 24% Roussanne, 24% Viognier and 6% Marsanne. 

WS93 Wine Spectator:  Fresh and spicy pear, lime and green apple flavors show details of matcha, peach blossom and honeysuckle in this white, which offers nice complexity and balance, with plenty of fresh acidity. Drink now through 2024.

WE92 Wine Enthusiast: This blend is extremely smooth on the nose, with aromas of lemon cream, seared white peach and a light brush of honey. It’s clean, pure and suave on the palate as well, with honey, smoked chicken flesh, lemon peel and herb flavors.

• Like 22

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Up very early this morning to go for my covid test in preparation for my Mohs surgery next week.

We went through the Panama Canal and Gatineau  Lake some years ago. I found going through the canal fascinating. I can’t recall which ship we were on, but it felt like it just fit which is  probably true.

Stay safe everyone and wear your masks.

Carol

I have gone through the Panama Canal three times and I have dont the partial three times. I have always found it a memorable time.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Great group of days to celebrate.  Tried to take ASL classes several times and they were cancelled for lack of students.  Great quote.  Love the menu, but have had too much pasta lately.  Not sure what will be for dinner.  We've been to Gatun Lake many times, for both partial and full canal crossings.  Will have to hunt and see if I have any pictures.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Hawaiian Sunset:

INGREDIENTS
1 1⁄2 ounces vodka 2 1⁄2 ounces cranberry juice 2 1⁄2 ounces orange juice 1 1⁄2 ounces soda water
DIRECTIONS
Place ice cubes into the glass.
Shake vodka, orange juice and cranberry juice in a shaker.
Pour into glass.
Top off with soda water.
Garnish with cherry and pineapple slice (optional).
Serve in a highball glass.

Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 7.40.30 AM.png

This sounds good.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Today is ASL Day, National High Five Day, and Rubber Eraser Day

An idea isn't responsible for the people who believe in it. - Don Marquis

Meal suggestion for today - Saucy Skillet Lasagna

Drink of the Day - Hawaiian Sunset

Wine of the day - Carol Shelton Coquille Blanc Paso Robles 2017

Port of the Day - Gatun Lake Panama

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Los Angeles eta 4/15
Noordam Destination La Paz MX eta 4/17

Corfu GR
Volendam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Limassol CY
Zaandam

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Oosterdam Anchorage

0415Europe.thumb.png.b7aaeab5d56e7eb89f8075117dc3326a.png

0415USA.thumb.png.19779dceabc48ea010f97ff99f5a0a22.png

Thank you for the Daily Fleet report Rich.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kazu said:

glad to hear your tooth wasn’t broken.  A broken crown can be fixed - a broken tooth not so much.

Not this one.  It was shattered and too much was missing.  I'm just getting a new crown.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Today's sunrise is from my 2014 Crystal Symphony/Serenity and Amsterdam combination.  On April 15 MS Amsterdam was supposed to be in Banjul, Gambia but was instead in Mindelo, Cape Verde due to the Ebola outbreak:

dawn0415.jpg

Roy

• Like 27

Good morning!  It's cloudy here this morning and we expect a little rain today.  It's supposed to be about 72 today though, which is at least 10 degrees cooler than yesterday.  Sorry to hear some have seen flurries today, but it is April and that is an unpredictable month.  

@cat shepardyou or your travel agent might want to look into Icelandair for your flights to Iceland and back.  You can fly directly from Orlando to Reykjavik so pretty convenient.  I can't fly directly to Reykjavik on them unless I go to another city like Orlando, Wash. D.C. or Boston so you would be lucky to have a city relatively close by to fly from.  They are a very good airline and we have used them 3 or 4 times.  Just a thought!

Thank you for the collection of days to celebrate Rich.  And Roy thank you for adding the crew members who have been so heavily impacted by the shutdown of cruising.  Bless them all!

Gatun Lake is an interesting "port" and as @kazusaid hard to take a tour there unless a ship's tour.  When we went through the Canal in 2016 on Westerdam we saw the Coral Princess ahead of us.  When it arrived in Gatun Lake they anchored and let down their tender boats, so it seems they were going to do some ship's tours there.  I don't know for sure since we were transiting straight through and didn't hang around.  

Here we are leaving the locks and preparing to enter Gatun Lake.enhance

Coral Princess with tenders down and loading passengers.enhance

I was standing at the bow and this was the view behind me.enhance

And the real reason we book Panama Canal cruises - the Panama rolls!enhance

• Like 27

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@cat shepardyou or your travel agent might want to look into Icelandair for your flights to Iceland and back.  You can fly directly from Orlando to Reykjavik so pretty convenient.  I can't fly directly to Reykjavik on them unless I go to another city like Orlando, Wash. D.C. or Boston so you would be lucky to have a city relatively close by to fly from.  They are a very good airline and we have used them 3 or 4 times.  Just a thought!

Sandi, thank you for the tip. I will definitely have our TA check them out. 

• Like 6

We were on the 2008 coral princess Panama Canal. In Gatun lake we went off on the tenders to pick up tours on shore. We took a smaller boat through to the pacific side and were brought back to colon by bus since the coral princess turned around and left the canal once all the tours were disembarked. Long story, but this was almost a free trip since we had been scheduled to do the whole transit from Acapulco to Fort Lauderdale and princess bought back our cabins about four days before sailing and let us rebook. They covered everything and we even had cash back at the end of the cruise, unheard of. To this day we have no idea why they needed our cabin. 

• Like 18

Good morning everyone!

Nice collection of days...thanks Rich for the daily and ship locations...thanks Roy for the care and celebration lists and your alternate menu...thanks ladies for the drink and wine information. I love reading this every day (and check back in the afternoon and evening) to be connected to so many wonderful people who would all want to be on a ship right now!

DH and I did a full transit of the Panama Canal in 2009 on the Zuiderdam, and then in March 2016 we did a partial on the Coral Princess.  We were able to take a ship's excursion in Gatun Lake, and we went to view the new locks as they were being completed.  We then went to the Gatun Locks viewing deck, and watched our ship going back through the locks!  They then bused us to Colon, where we had some time to shop before the ship docked to pick us up. My favorite part was watching our ship pass us by, knowing that we would be rejoining it very soon.

Hoping everyone has a good day, staying safe, wearing masks, and booking and getting shots.  Tomorrow will be my two weeks since my second shot, so I will be fully vaccinated....looking forward to going to a local restaurant for dinner (socially distanced of course!)

Enjoy your spring day, hoping it's spring-like wherever you are!!!

Laura

• Like 18

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.   

I certainly salute ASL day in honor of two former students.   Sherry was first and we actually derived a few of our own signs for some algebraic manipulations.  The second student ended up having cochlear implants and, last I heard, was doing very well and living in Germany.  

The dentist went well yesterday.  It turns out I didn't break a tooth.  I broke a crown.  The crown in question was an early porcelain one and I ended up having quite the conversation with the dentist.  At the time, they really weren't recommending porcelain crowns on back grinding teeth.  But, the dentist made the decision without me.  Could it have been that they charged more for porcelain than they did for a gold crown back then?   I told him and the front desk people that I was only paying for gold and that is what I did.

I'm hitting the pool today and then meeting a friend for lunch.   It is so nice to be able to do some of those things again.  

Today's meal gets either wonderful reviews or bad ones, nothing in the middle.  Way too many carbs for me, so I'll stick with my fish and broccoli for tonight.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/saucy-skillet-lasagna/

1 serving: 426 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 858mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein.

Saucy Skillet Lasagna.jpg

My dentist husband said you are right. They weren’t using porcelain back then, but another metal which was not gold. He’s curious as to how long that crown lasted.

Edited by mamaofami
  • Like 10

Good  morning  everyone. It  is  a  good  collection  of  days,a  good  recipe  and  quote. The  drinks  look  interesting  as  well. I learned  some ASL in  my  previous  life  as   a  Physical  Therapist.  It  was  a  good  communication  tool and  I  remember  some  of  it.

I would  love  to  go  on  a  Panama  Canal  cruise. Thanks  for  the  pictures. DH  thinks  the  heat  will  be  too  much  for  him  and  he  is  probably  right.

I  wish  everyone  a  good  day. Please  continue  to  wear  your  masks  and  practice  all precautions.

We  need  to  get  this  very  long  Pandemic  under  control.          Terry

• Like 14