The Daily for Thursday Apr 15, 2021

richwmn

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Unfortunately, I just got the call from University of Maryland.  They have concluded that the second trial will also not work for me.  It will be a few more days to get into remaining alternatives.

Roy

I’m so sorry that the second trial won’t work for you. I hope they find a solution for you soon.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Afternoon Everyone, we have done a full transit and a partial transit of the canal.  Enjoyed both trips very much.  We had been booked to do another partial transit but then the lockdowns began.  We hope that the one booked for next year happens.

I got my first jab this afternoon.  Went to Gillette stadium and it was run very well. The longest part was the 15 minute wait after the injection.  Home now and may nap with one of the kids.  Second dose is booked in 28 days.

Good news.

• Like 8

DH. and I, with my parents were fortunate enough to be able to do a full transit Panama Canal Cuise to celebrate the Millenium. Aboard the Ryndam with Captain Johnathan Mercer, always my favorite HAL Captain.  Ours was an 11 days cruise from Acapulco to Fort Lauderdale. Remember the Cruise Log's? I actually saved this one.  On 01/02/20 at 6:33am the canal pilot came aboard; at 8:40am we entered the Miraflores Locks, at 10:20am we entered the Pedro Miguel Locks , at 2:30pm we entered the Gatun Locks and at 4:30 we disembarked the canal pilot and enter the Carribbean Sea.

I did find some photos that I was able to put on my cell phone but I do not know how to transfer and publish here.

Jane

• Like 13

6 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning!  It's cloudy here this morning and we expect a little rain today.  It's supposed to be about 72 today though, which is at least 10 degrees cooler than yesterday.  Sorry to hear some have seen flurries today, but it is April and that is an unpredictable month.  

@cat shepardyou or your travel agent might want to look into Icelandair for your flights to Iceland and back.  You can fly directly from Orlando to Reykjavik so pretty convenient.  I can't fly directly to Reykjavik on them unless I go to another city like Orlando, Wash. D.C. or Boston so you would be lucky to have a city relatively close by to fly from.  They are a very good airline and we have used them 3 or 4 times.  Just a thought!

Thank you for the collection of days to celebrate Rich.  And Roy thank you for adding the crew members who have been so heavily impacted by the shutdown of cruising.  Bless them all!

Gatun Lake is an interesting "port" and as @kazusaid hard to take a tour there unless a ship's tour.  When we went through the Canal in 2016 on Westerdam we saw the Coral Princess ahead of us.  When it arrived in Gatun Lake they anchored and let down their tender boats, so it seems they were going to do some ship's tours there.  I don't know for sure since we were transiting straight through and didn't hang around.  

Here we are leaving the locks and preparing to enter Gatun Lake.enhance

Coral Princess with tenders down and loading passengers.enhance

I was standing at the bow and this was the view behind me.enhance

And the real reason we book Panama Canal cruises - the Panama rolls!enhance

Thank you for posting the photo of the Panama Bun; I was disappointed I didn't see one person in the other photo with one in their hand, but you saved me!  Those things are addicting!  I believe I had three when we did the Canal on HAL.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Unfortunately, I just got the call from University of Maryland.  They have concluded that the second trial will also not work for me.  It will be a few more days to get into remaining alternatives.

Roy

I am so sorry to see that you are unable to get into either trial. Praying that your physicians will be able to come up with the absolute best treatment plan, whatever that may be,  for a full recovery.

Roy I hope you enjoy seeing the menu for The Millenium Gala Dinner:

Starters- Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail, Russian Sevruga Malosal Cavier,Italian Prosciutto Ham

Soups & Salads- Bisque of Blue Crab, Double Consumme' Grand Duc", Mesclun Salad, Classical Cesar Salad.

to clear the palate.

Lemor Basil Sorbet laced with Champagne.

Entrees-Broiled Australian Lobster Tail, Petit Filet of Beef "Rossini", Rack of Lamg "Aromatic"

Vegetables-asparagus spears, minted baby carrots.

Desserts-Millenium Chocolate Surprise, Bittersweet Chocolate Mouse with Praline Crunch,  Nougat Chocolate Ganache, Raspberry and Passionfruit Sauce.

• Like 11

My first transit of the Canal was a very long time ago. I boarded the USS Kinkaid (DD-965) in Christobal and disembarked at Rodman Naval Station on the Pacific side. Kinkaid was a brand new ship headed from the shipyard in Mississippi to San Diego to receive her full crew and equipment. We were treated to a BBQ on deck during the transit and a tour of the ship.

• Like 15

We sailed the Panama Canal in 1999 on the Vision OTS,  cruising from San Juan, PR to Acapulco.  We stayed onboard the whole trip through the Canal.  In 2002, we took a Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Summit, that took the Canal partial cruise from Colon to the Lake.  We took a ship’s tour by bus to Panama City, for the day, and then back to Colon on the bus to reboard the ship.  In 2006, we sailed the Summit once again to travel the Canal eastbound this time. We began in San Pedro, CA and disembarked in FLL.  We stayed onboard through the Canal.  Our last experience was in 2018 on Westerdam, westbound from FLL to San Diego.  Again, we stayed onboard the ship through the Canal.  Four different experiences!

• Like 14

We have been a couple of times through the Panama Canal from Atlantic to Pacific Oceans  and once in 2017 on the Zuiderdam we just went to the Gatun lake for part of the day through the locks early in the morning and back out in the afternoon  and enjoyed a short nice HAL sticker tour not in a bus but in a canoe ! 

DSCN2444.thumb.JPG.ef84c80c8333991778c0a18cb58eeb0c.JPG

DSCN2460.thumb.JPG.c833be2c6044aee078005946e00615fc.JPG

DSCN2481.thumb.JPG.c5f3a04f0f92b2145574cfeb8af416cb.JPG

IMG_6149.thumb.JPG.fbae99be2a29af742313ec092e44cb3a.JPG

DSCN2498.thumb.JPG.088767c8ee4b44290671bccd01a1aaa7.JPG

IMG_6155.thumb.JPG.2704554dd5bbb5f28190ba1f917ce912.JPG

DSCN2505.thumb.JPG.c233e6102e285c5c95ebead064a44a78.JPG

DSCN2513.thumb.JPG.1eec1fa249c7994c15c99c053ef3a692.JPG

DSCN2520.thumb.JPG.fa4bf1cca189cb59fc517ed24b2e85f7.JPG

DSCN2524.thumb.JPG.8a141e5e316cb3fadf300d2b5fe85d0c.JPG

DSCN2529.thumb.JPG.4931768d7caffa5b39e33c5f022afe71.JPG

IMG_6171.thumb.JPG.55e57d4f7d6fcb3b615eee2d639b5ad4.JPG

DSCN2525.thumb.JPG.bb62386f25a49cc1c96ca3737dfd2c33.JPG

DSCN2540.thumb.jpg.86c321fb632caa803ead0358a42eb6d9.jpg

And back out on our way to Puerto Limon , Costa Rica 
DSCN2494.thumb.JPG.2948f39ecd9b8e1fcde82980b2e8f09e.JPG

Have a good day everybody , take care and stay safe ! 

Tony 😀
  • Like 19

9 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.   

I certainly salute ASL day in honor of two former students.   Sherry was first and we actually derived a few of our own signs for some algebraic manipulations.  The second student ended up having cochlear implants and, last I heard, was doing very well and living in Germany.  

The dentist went well yesterday.  It turns out I didn't break a tooth.  I broke a crown.  The crown in question was an early porcelain one and I ended up having quite the conversation with the dentist.  At the time, they really weren't recommending porcelain crowns on back grinding teeth.  But, the dentist made the decision without me.  Could it have been that they charged more for porcelain than they did for a gold crown back then?   I told him and the front desk people that I was only paying for gold and that is what I did.

I'm hitting the pool today and then meeting a friend for lunch.   It is so nice to be able to do some of those things again.  

Today's meal gets either wonderful reviews or bad ones, nothing in the middle.  Way too many carbs for me, so I'll stick with my fish and broccoli for tonight.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/saucy-skillet-lasagna/

1 serving: 426 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 858mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein.

Saucy Skillet Lasagna.jpg

Looks tasty

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lcand1923 said:

Today’s Daily has been a real treat for me.  Panama Canal Transits are my favorite cruise, so I’ve been enjoying all of the pictures of Gatun Lake.  Gatun Lake Shore Excursions have never been offered on my cruises through the Canal, so I will have to look for a cruise that includes them.  I cannot tell anyone how many Panama Rolls I’ve eaten!  

Re broken crown and broken teeth:  I went through a two year period where I was breaking a tooth and/or losing a crown just about every other month.  My dentist started joking that I would soon have replaced every “extra” piece of anything in my mouth.  Knock on wood, the breaking/losing stopped and I have had a year of just regular check-ups.

They are only offered on partial canal trips.  The ships anchor in Gatun Lake after going through Gatun Locks. Whe the locks open to Atlantic bound ships the Ship sails out of Gatun Locks and dock at Colon City to wait for those on tour.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, mamaofami said:

My dentist husband said you are right. They weren’t using porcelain back then, but another metal which was not gold. He’s curious as to how long that crown lasted.

It actually lasted a long, long time.  I'm thinking around 30 years or so.  So, I guess I got my money's worth out of it.  

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Amsterdam's departure from Hong Kong in the evening. The local pilot came onboard seaside (starboard side Marshaling Area break)  Capt. Fred took her off her berth, reversed and swung her around to head back to sea. Next up; two sea days and then Phu May (port city for Ho Chi Minh City, the former Saigon) in the Republic of Vietnam. Entertainment that night was by the Amsterdam cast of singers and dancers

034.JPG

035.JPG

036.JPG

037.JPG

038.JPG

040.JPG

041.JPG

042.JPG

043.JPG

045.JPG

047.JPG

048.JPG

054.JPG

060.JPG

061.JPG

062.JPG

hong_kong_pol98.jpg

Great Pictures John.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

After seeing Copper's pictures of the cast, I have a technical question.  Although his pictures turned out better than mine, his and mine have a similar problem.  The color is mostly red with a blue background.  I have only noticed this when taking pictures of the entertainment on a ship.  Does everyone have that outcome?  Has anyone figured out a cure for it?  Incidentally, I usually use a Lumix digital camera rather than my iPhone.

Ray

• Like 5

@rafinmd  I am so disappointed that you are not a fit for the second trial.  However, I doubt that you are the first case of this kind so the doctors will come up with a viable treatment plan for you.   Hang tough!  We've got your back.

@lcand1923Your broken tooth/crown problems sound like my household appliances.   To add to my tooth woes, for years I would go for my regular cleanings and never have a problem.  Hadn't had a cavity in decades until my dentist sold the practice and the new dentist started.   Now, every time I go to get my teeth cleaned, they find a cavity.  They tell me they are very small, but need to be taken care of pronto.  I'm detecting a pattern.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

I'm so sorry Roy.  As others have said, I've read you daily posts from your cruises for years.  Hopefully, they will up with a solution to your needs and result in a complete recovery.

Charles

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dfish said:

@rafinmd  I am so disappointed that you are not a fit for the second trial.  However, I doubt that you are the first case of this kind so the doctors will come up with a viable treatment plan for you.   Hang tough!  We've got your back.

@lcand1923Your broken tooth/crown problems sound like my household appliances.   To add to my tooth woes, for years I would go for my regular cleanings and never have a problem.  Hadn't had a cavity in decades until my dentist sold the practice and the new dentist started.   Now, every time I go to get my teeth cleaned, they find a cavity.  They tell me they are very small, but need to be taken care of pronto.  I'm detecting a pattern.

Debbie, my childhood dentist watched a cavity for years and didn’t see the necessity of a filling until I saw it in the mirror and asked him about it.  

The dentist that bought the practice here a few years ago is wonderful.  He is helping me keep my teeth, and when I need a crown or filling gives me options.  So far, the last crown because of a broken tooth, we decided together to go with just the crown since I had no pain.  And the last filling we decided to not do the crown.  As he said, those things could be done later if necessary.  I hope he stays here for years and years.

Lenda

• Like 13

A final salute to Eraser Day -- a Fulbright exchange teacher at my school  (from the UK) put in a request from the custodian.  She asked to have '2 dozen rubbers' delivered to her classroom.  The custodian was very shocked until the 'language difference' was worked out.  We all had a good laugh.  Katherine

• Like 8
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

My first transit of the Canal was a very long time ago. I boarded the USS Kinkaid (DD-965) in Christobal and disembarked at Rodman Naval Station on the Pacific side. Kinkaid was a brand new ship headed from the shipyard in Mississippi to San Diego to receive her full crew and equipment. We were treated to a BBQ on deck during the transit and a tour of the ship.

USS_Kinkaid_DD_965.jpg

USS Kincaid DD-965 named for Admiral Thomas C. Kincaid USN (1888–1972), was a Spruance-class destroyer built by the Ingalls Shipbuilding Division of Litton Industries at Pascagoula, Mississippi. Launched in 1974 as the third "Spru-can" to be built, she was decommissioned in 2003 and sunk as a target on 14 July 2004 during the RIMPAC (Rim of the Pacific) 2004 multi-national naval exercise in the Pacific Ocean. Naval participants in 2004 were Australia, Canada, Chile, Japan, South Korea, the United Kingdom, and the United States.  

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 15

2 hours ago, dfish said:

My husband has had the same convo with his new (no longer) dentist.....it got to be ridiculous --- he changed dentists & voila!  back to no cavities....

• Like 11

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

Bet ya that steel beach BBQ was on her helo deck? 😉 U.S. Naval Institute on Twitter: "It's #NationalHamburgerDay! Hamburgers  always taste better at a steel beach picnic - the great U.S. Navy tradition  of having a barbecue on the deck of a ship

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, my childhood dentist watched a cavity for years and didn’t see the necessity of a filling until I saw it in the mirror and asked him about it.  

The dentist that bought the practice here a few years ago is wonderful.  He is helping me keep my teeth, and when I need a crown or filling gives me options.  So far, the last crown because of a broken tooth, we decided together to go with just the crown since I had no pain.  And the last filling we decided to not do the crown.  As he said, those things could be done later if necessary.  I hope he stays here for years and years.

Lenda

You are so lucky

My periodontist is great but my dentist broke a tooth that couldn’t be repaired. All that was left was the root.And it was the tooth for my bridge.

Which is why I go back tomorrow for the final bit of surgery and the final verdict.  Ugh.  Scared stiff

I don’t need to be on the Care list - it will be what it will be. Hate dentists and have never been to a periodontist so much in my life let alone in  in the midst of a pandemic.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

You are so lucky

My periodontist is great but my dentist broken a tooth that couldn’t be repaired. All that was left was the root.And it was the tooth for my bridge.

Which is why I go back tomorrow for the final bit of surgery and the final verdict.  Ugh.  Scared stiff

I don’t need to be on the Care list - it will be what it will be. Hate dentists and have never been to a periodontist so much in my life let alone in  in the midst of a pandemic.  

Hope all goes well!  Dental issues are no fun!

• Like 6