Could CDC or the President BAN Americans from cruising?

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

In the same vein that Americans had been banned for many years from visiting Cuba?

Actually Americans have been visiting Cuba.  They just go through another country first.

• Like 4

In the same vein that Americans had been banned for many years from visiting Cuba?

Seriously, dude!  If you're going to challenge people, at least do it from a reasonable starting point.  Anyway, we're kinda "banned" right now; at least from sailing from a US port.  C'mon, seriously though.  Is there something in the drinking water over there in the UK? 🙄

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Just like Americans have figured out for decades how to travel to Cuba with none to minor repercussions, I’m positive Americans will find a way to continue cruising even while there are no cruise ship sailing from US ports.

9 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I'll play. Yes... the President can. 

It is only a hop skip and jump from the current CDC stance and the anti cruising letter from the 2 senators to attempting to do that if the cruise industry does not world wide enforce mask wearing ON ANY SHIP that carries Americans to protect American health.  I don't think the world wide cruise market would dare say no. It could not survive without American passengers apart from a few of the smaller 95% brit lines like P&O and Fred Olsen and maybe Marella/Thompson cruises and the German ones maybe.

Edited by ace2542

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

What if they had been caught? What would have happened.

Nothing.  I think the actual ban was spending dollars in Cuba not actually being there.  Even before they opened it up for travel students could go there in certain programs to study.  One of my attorney's wives was accepted into a program.  I don't remember how long she was there or what all the rules were.

12 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Seriously, dude!  If you're going to challenge people, at least do it from a reasonable starting point.  Anyway, we're kinda "banned" right now; at least from sailing from a US port.  C'mon, seriously though.  Is there something in the drinking water over there in the UK? 🙄

I'm from Florida.....just want to let you know that people from the USA can go go Cuba.  The word banned implies that you are breaking a law.  Like most things, you can go other indirect routes.  Just like the CDC has some very strong recommendations that you can't go on a cruise.....but many people think that is a ban.  It's not.  You can go, just fly to another country and go.   So you fly to Bahamas, than get on the ship.  So for Cuba, you fly to Mexico City and than have a second, non connecting flight to Cuba.  Main thing is that these are two independent flights, and not connecting.  It's pretty easy.  

25 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Nothing.  I think the actual ban was spending dollars in Cuba not actually being there.  Even before they opened it up for travel students could go there in certain programs to study.  One of my attorney's wives was accepted into a program.  I don't remember how long she was there or what all the rules were.

How was that ban not unconstitutional and how did it not get overturned in the courts?

9 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

How was that ban not unconstitutional and how did it not get overturned in the courts?

Just google it and all your questions will be answered.  You do seem overly concerned with the American way of life.  Maybe you could do some of your own research or come for a visit.

43 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I'm from Florida.....just want to let you know that people from the USA can go go Cuba.  The word banned implies that you are breaking a law.  Like most things, you can go other indirect routes.  Just like the CDC has some very strong recommendations that you can't go on a cruise.....but many people think that is a ban.  It's not.  You can go, just fly to another country and go.   So you fly to Bahamas, than get on the ship.  So for Cuba, you fly to Mexico City and than have a second, non connecting flight to Cuba.  Main thing is that these are two independent flights, and not connecting.  It's pretty easy.  

Once again you are misinterpreting what I said.  I put the word “banned” in quotes for a reason because of the ridiculous post from the OP and to point out that no one can sail from a US port.  And the CDC still recommends that people not cruise from foreign ports.  Carry on. 

What if they had been caught? What would have happened.

Not much. Even a few years back when sailings to Cuba were operating from US ports, there were strict regulations on what Americans could and couldn’t do ashore. What businesses they could visit, what they could buy, where they could eat, and what type of activities they could do ashore. There was a even a long list of prohibited Cuban businesses on the US government website. We were informed to keep paper records of all activities for 5 years. 

Yet, many Americans did whatever they wanted when they went on these cruises, and as far as I know, nobody was ever prosecuted or got in trouble for doing so, and nobody has ever been asked to provide records of their activities ashore. When we went on a Cuba cruise in 2018, we pre-planned our activities (from what restaurants we visited, to what excursion company we used) in order to abide by the US regulations. Yet we found ourselves inadvertently “violating” them. It was hard not to.

For example, one night we went out to one of the luxury hotels in Havana for drinks and entertainment. The following morning we looked at the list of prohibited places and, sure enough, we realized that we’d been at one of the prohibited businesses. We freaked out for a fraction of a second before realizing that most likely the repercussions of our visit would be zero. To this day nobody has come knocking on my door to ask what drinks we had that night. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is only a hop skip and jump from the current CDC stance and the anti cruising letter from the 2 senators to attempting to do that if the cruise industry does not world wide enforce mask wearing ON ANY SHIP that carries Americans to protect American health.

The CDC has already issued a requirement (Feb 2021) that all crew, on all ships (cargo/container, bulk, tanker, offshore exploration, etc), of any nation, when in US waters, must wear masks.  The Captain of each vessel must declare this to be the policy of the ship, and that it has been practiced at least since the last foreign port of call, in order to obtain "free pratique" to enter US waters without going into quarantine.  80+% of the world's commerce goes by sea, the same for the US.  Has the US economy shut down because the CDC has required that all crew on these ships wear a mask?

Sorry, ace, your paranoia and trolling are showing.

As for the Cuba "ban", it is not a travel ban, it is a trade embargo, which restricts US citizens from having business transactions in Cuba (i.e. a private citizen can go to Cuba, but cannot spend any money there) without a license from the federal government.  Since the Constitution grants the federal government the sole power to "regulate commerce with foreign nations", it is by definition Constitutional.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Once again you are misinterpreting what I said.  I put the word “banned” in quotes for a reason because of the ridiculous post from the OP and to point out that no one can sail from a US port.  And the CDC still recommends that people not cruise from foreign ports.  Carry on. 

Did the OP want to know if US citizens can actually be "banned" in "quotes" from going on a cruise?  I think that was a valid question, and the question concerning Cuba was also valid.  Maybe it is just someone that wants to understand how it works.  But the answer is that the word Banned is not the right word.  We are not Banned from going on a ship.......but a ship is prohibited right now from sailing from the USA.  However, we can go on a cruise.....we are not banned. 

2 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Did the OP want to know if US citizens can actually be "banned" in "quotes" from going on a cruise?  I think that was a valid question, and the question concerning Cuba was also valid.  Maybe it is just someone that wants to understand how it works.  But the answer is that the word Banned is not the right word.  We are not Banned from going on a ship.......but a ship is prohibited right now from sailing from the USA.  However, we can go on a cruise.....we are not banned. 

Look at the title of the thread.  OP said "banned".  I put quotes around the word in my post.  What IS your point??  The whole thing is ridiculous.  Of course we're not "banned", but we can't cruise from a US port.  Call it what you want.  Don't care anymore.

Edited by harkinmr

Sailing from US ports can be prohibited. If Americans can travel into a country they can cruise out of that country. Here is the thing, most do not want to fly to another country to get on a ship. Flights are hassle (customs and passports lots of Americans are used to cruising without passports) and expensive. Many cruisers drive to the ports. Sure some people could drive to Mexico and get on a ship but not that many. Not sure about Canada allowing us in right now but I am pretty sure Canada is stricter on this than us.  

Our government can put restrictions on re entering US after international travel.  Last time I checked a negative covid test is required. 

32 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The CDC has already issued a requirement (Feb 2021) that all crew, on all ships (cargo/container, bulk, tanker, offshore exploration, etc), of any nation, when in US waters, must wear masks

So what happens when for instance the Anthem of the Seas does a TA at least 5 days at sea. Or perhaps for relevant to the Cunard brand the QM2 does the repeated crossings 7 nights at sea. Whose decision is mask wearing et all then? The cruise line?

35 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Has the US economy shut down because the CDC has required that all crew on these ships wear a mask?

No but the cruise lines might or might not if passengers have to. I can see the argument for it and for it forever doesn't mean I would do it though nor would I stand any passenger telling me what to do. And those crew are getting paid and looked after not paying for watered down service in international waters.