3rd vaccine dose likely needed

47 minutes ago, James4me said:

Never got a flu shot, maybe I got really sick twice in my life.  I DO NOT INTEND to get a COVID shot either.  I have zero trust in our government and those running the CDC.  

Zero trust in our government ?

So, you dont trust any politician including our Current  and all (alive) past Presidents including President Trump that said everyone should get vaccinated

51 minutes ago, James4me said:

Never got a flu shot, maybe I got really sick twice in my life.  I DO NOT INTEND to get a COVID shot either.  I have zero trust in our government and those running the CDC.  

So you don't trust our government, but what about the rest of the world? Do you seriously believe every country in the world is in on some kind of conspiracy with vaccines?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, James4me said:

And that's precisely why the rest of us will not be cruising in the near future.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

1) There were upwards of 10 variants before the UK variant, yet we weren't told to be scared of those.

2) Influenza vaccine makers most certainly guess as to what strain will be the big one that season. And they're usually wrong based on the efficacy of flu vaccines

Lots of variants before the UK one but the 4 main ones of concern have shown an ability to either spread faster or be more deadly or both.

Many don't realise that the strains affecting some parts of the world are less virulent and deadly. When people point at these countries and say look how well they have done they are not taking into account the whole picture.

When I pointed out that influenza vaccines work on a best guess based on scientific data available one rabid pro vaxx poster told me i was wrong in no uncertain terms and would not even accept the facts when I pointed them to the CDC website which actually states vaccine manufacturers use a "best guess" to get moving with vaccine production.

Booster shots for variants that may well be superseded by September and if they use the same technology will probably be of little effect. Continually playing catch up is not a plan but it is a good money maker and provides comfort to the rabid pro vaxxers.

Strange to think that the 4 variants of concern are from places that underwent mass trials for the vaccines is this because more genomic testing took place in these areas or because the virus was pressured by the trials or both??? 

18 hours ago, Sky616 said:

Just read an article that many states are returning their vaccines or requesting to the government not to send them as much.  Seems as though that most people who wanted the shot have gotten it.  The rest of us are not interested in a rushed emergency gene therapy injection that was rushed in 6 months.  

So........I guess you didn't read that article of the history of mRNA vaccines that I posted for you. Since the 1990s, there has been studies of RNA. Why don't you do some research for yourself?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, yogimax said:

Sure you can find "opinions" on both sides of an issue.  

"Opinions," however, are totally different than scientific proof.  You can believe whoever you want and suffer the consequences.  I'll listen to those who can back up their opinions with facts.

There are literally counterpoints to every "science fact" by countless professionals. Just because you choose to ignore them and/or write them off as opinions, doesn't make your horse any higher.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

There are literally counterpoints to every "science fact" by countless professionals. Just because you choose to ignore them and/or write them off as opinions, doesn't make your horse any higher.

Facts do not have counterpoints. Interpretations do.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

Unless those professionals have conducted their own studies and have published the results derived from empirical or measurable evidence in peer reviewed journals, their "counterpoints" are definitely just their opinion on someone else's research.  Facts are backed up by evidence not untested hypothesis (opinions.)

Edited by cured
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, broberts said:

Facts do not have counterpoints. Interpretations do.

1 hour ago, cured said:

Unless those professionals have conducted their own studies and have published the results derived from empirical or measurable evidence in peer reviewed journals, their "counterpoints" are definitely just their opinion on someone else's research.  Facts are backed up by evidence not untested hypothesis (opinions.)

I do not intend to debate this topic any further after this reply. Because people like you have clearly made up your mind. Never mind that throughout history, science has rarely been settled. We find "new science" and you believe you get to absolve all previous claims by throwing out "we follow the science". The political side of truth and fact never as to account for the doom and gloom they shared as long as they get to wipe it away with "well we though we were right". There are infinite sources out there that meet both of your criteria for counter-argument, but you would rather play in semantical arguments. It is pointless to debate further.

The "science" today is that cruising is the most dangerous activity there is because of a virus that has killed .03% of the world's population. Therefore, we will likely need (at least) 3 vaccine shots for it that are "completely safe", because of months of testing. Our history backs this all 100%. Shout it out from the rooftops as much as you like. 

• Like 4

I have many friends in India.  They are experiencing an awful surge.  Two friends, in their 30’s, were in ICU.  My friend’s 40ish uncle just died from covid there. Less than 2% of their population is vaccinated. I struggle to not see a correlation between covid cases and the vaccine?  I am cool with boosters.

1 hour ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I have many friends in India.  They are experiencing an awful surge.  Two friends, in their 30’s, were in ICU.  My friend’s 40ish uncle just died from covid there. Less than 2% of their population is vaccinated. I struggle to not see a correlation between covid cases and the vaccine?  I am cool with boosters.

Vaccines and boosters are definitely cool.

Human derived bio solid manure spraying = fecal aersol spread.  Parts of India where rice & tea are farmed aren’t experiencing nearly the increase....compared to crops that are fed w/ manure/fecal matter in other parts of the country - cases exploding

US corn counties experienced something similar last year....

Covid aerosols can stay lofted for days if not weeks in certain conditions.  Homes, LTC, farms, prisons, dense vertical housing, diamond princess lower decks(crew), etc .

(aerosolized fecal moisture could be the primary vector )

Don’t shoot the messenger - just regurgitating what my smart friends at the club are talking about.  

Stay away from public bathrooms !

Countries can actively predict surges from waste samples in the sewers.  

Interesting stuff... hope they get shots in arms over there soon.

00C5991B-BEFA-49AC-96E2-6F82995FFF37.thumb.jpeg.356b5912e576848357e8cc851079faf4.jpegE19C26C3-FB85-4674-BB5C-CB72B15F37C0.thumb.jpeg.d0a36f799173309668c2bc9042b1813c.jpeg

13 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Vaccines and boosters are definitely cool.

Human derived bio solid manure spraying = fecal aersol spread.  Parts of India where rice & tea are farmed aren’t experiencing nearly the increase....compared to crops that are fed w/ manure/fecal matter in other parts of the country - cases exploding

US corn counties experienced something similar last year....

Covid aerosols can stay lofted for days if not weeks in certain conditions.  Homes, LTC, farms, prisons, dense vertical housing, diamond princess lower decks(crew), etc .

(aerosolized fecal moisture could be the primary vector )

Don’t shoot the messenger - just regurgitating what my smart friends at the club are talking about.  

Stay away from public bathrooms !

Countries can actively predict surges from waste samples in the sewers.  

Interesting stuff... hope they get shots in arms over there soon.

00C5991B-BEFA-49AC-96E2-6F82995FFF37.thumb.jpeg.356b5912e576848357e8cc851079faf4.jpegE19C26C3-FB85-4674-BB5C-CB72B15F37C0.thumb.jpeg.d0a36f799173309668c2bc9042b1813c.jpeg

also...

Anyone ready to put the mask debate to bed?

78B810EA-EA06-4074-8878-F0BFD157DC4C.thumb.jpeg.2efd3e63ee807335e9fb7c0a5ad0bb4d.jpeg

Edited by TheMastodon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, jonbgd said:

Zero trust in our government ?

So, you dont trust any politician including our Current  and all (alive) past Presidents including President Trump that said everyone should get vaccinated

Yes I have zero trust in our government.  There, does that upset you so much?  Now they are telling you that you’ll need a third shot!  Does that not even concern you or anybody about it?  It does me.  My husband is a worker who refuses to get the vaccine.  He wears his mask, but the clients he talks to say and feel the same way, “NO VACCINE FOR US”.  It’s not worth going on a cruise right now for us.  

• Like 4

Now they are telling you that you’ll need a third shot!  Does that not even concern you or anybody about it?  It does me.  

It's been 6-9 months since the first people got the vaccine. And monitoring the fall off antibody levels in their blood, the scientists can estimate when you will need a booster. And a booster that has been tweaked a bit to better protect you from the mutations. I know people who have already got their 3rd shot and they are doing fine. All still wear masks. All still social distancing. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes I have zero trust in our government.  There, does that upset you so much?  Now they are telling you that you’ll need a third shot!  Does that not even concern you or anybody about it?  It does me.  My husband is a worker who refuses to get the vaccine.  He wears his mask, but the clients he talks to say and feel the same way, “NO VACCINE FOR US”.  It’s not worth going on a cruise right now for us.  

Let's be clear. The government is not telling anyone they need a third shot. The company, that did not take any incentive to create the vaccine, who created the vaccine is telling everyone that there will most likely be a booster to defend against variant cases of a pandemic virus.

Pfiezer has no affiliation with the US government. They are just a skilled company that, you know, created a defense against a foe that has killed more people world wide since the 40's

Edited by csnarpy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, James4me said:

You don't trust your government because you understand a press release from a corporation to be an official statement of the government.

To make matters more confusing, you have understood "we are looking into" to mean "you will need".

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It's been 6-9 months since the first people got the vaccine. And monitoring the fall off antibody levels in their blood, the scientists can estimate when you will need a booster. And a booster that has been tweaked a bit to better protect you from the mutations. I know people who have already got their 3rd shot and they are doing fine. All still wear masks. All still social distancing. 

What complete balderdash and claptrap, sorry not trying to be rude just trying out some old words

Nobody can estimate how long the vaccine will last based on antibodies it is just not how your bodies immune system works,  secondly drop off in antibodies is normal you have the same with the yellow fever and measle jabs but they still last a lifetime.

Yellow fever jab used to be every 10 years until they realised after decades of study that it lasted a lifetime, WHO now recommend 1 jab only

The 3rd shot at the moment should only be part of trials to see if it makes a difference anyone having a 3rd jab outside of trials is a) taking a risk and b) taking a jab from someone else.

The present vaccines are very targeted and specific and this is why they have limited success dealing with variants, booster shots will also suffer from this flaw if tweaked based on current technology.

So what variants will be around come the winter, no one knows, it still takes a while to produce even a tweaked booster because you still have to produce the original shots because there is no guarantee that a booster will effectively deal with the older strains still in circulation.

We got lucky in the UK the Kent variant was close enough to the original that the vaccines work effectively the same as for older strains the same can not be said for the South African or Brazilian variants and no one knows at the moment for the India variant,

Based on the present technology you can only have a booster that you know will target 1 variant but may or may not cover others. 

It is quite possible that the next variant will make all these vaccines and booster shots null and void and the race will be on to produce vaccines that work more like traditional vaccines.