A FUN FOOD AND DRINK THREAD

A couple breakfast notes...

One of my perennial favorites is the Japanese breakfast set, shown here with the black cod option:

49540812002_45278b4649_z.jpg

Waterside Breakfast Pro Tip:  For decades Crystal has had the habit of sticking benedicts under the broiler before serving, causing the hollandaise to coagulate and the poached eggs to overcook.  (Lots of complaints about that in old threads you might see on the board.)  If you just ask for the sauce on the side, the dish skips the broiler altogether and everything comes out at the proper texture.  Shown here with smoked salmon by request:

50131442946_60626867b5_z.jpg

Vince

4 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

A couple breakfast notes...

One of my perennial favorites is the Japanese breakfast set, shown here with the black cod option:

49540812002_45278b4649_z.jpg

Waterside Breakfast Pro Tip:  For decades Crystal has had the habit of sticking benedicts under the broiler before serving, causing the hollandaise to coagulate and the poached eggs to overcook.  (Lots of complaints about that in old threads you might see on the board.)  If you just ask for the sauce on the side, the dish skips the broiler altogether and everything comes out at the proper texture.  Shown here with smoked salmon by request:

50131442946_60626867b5_z.jpg

Vince

Thanks to you, Vince, this is how we started ordering EB on the World Cruise last year and it worked like a charm. The only "problem" was the staff never did get their head around our request for two orders, but only one bowl bernaise sauce! Such a hard life!!😉

Larry

Posted (edited)

Birthday breakfast in Waterside!  I don't have a photo, but found this:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2774868-lets-think-positive-i-am-booking-one-of-the-new-bahamas-cruises-because-and-any-other-thoughts/?

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2710872-birthday-breakfast-on-the-serenity/

One of Albert Farkas's cheese plates in Waterside

Edited by crickette

A couple of Waterside lunch main course favorites...

This was specifically the "Alaskan Seafood Gratin" -- Fresh Salmon, Prawn, Bay Scallops, Squid, Sweet Corn, Broccoli, Sauce Mornay, Warm Garlic Bread...  There has been a very similar variation of this that I've equally enjoyed on every Crystal cruise I've been on though.

51119353377_b06298773b_z.jpg

There isn't a component of their fried chicken lunch I don't love...  On all the cruises I've been on it's been cornflake-crusted, though that description dropped off at some point in the past couple of cruises I've been on.  I love the mashed potatoes with bacon gravy and the peach with lingonberries add a tart sweetness.

49540590581_1eafe56eda_z.jpg

Malva Pudding is a lunch dessert I almost never pass up, even when I'm stuffed!

50131744477_7c54e400e0_z.jpg

Now I'm hungry....  LOL

Vince

What are the must-try drinks?  There were already a few suggestions posted above, thank you.  Are there drinks that are standouts at certain venues?

2 hours ago, Mudhen said:

OMG....it's a long time Crystal favorite, usually found in the Bistro around 10-11am. In a vague, poor description, it's like a flakey croissant around the outside edges with a custard filling.

I'm sure there are folks out there who can give a better description or better yet maybe a photo...picture worth a thousand words...haha!

It is like a mini custard tart..sweet and savory versions available

17 minutes ago, pnsnkr said:

What are the must-try drinks?  There were already a few suggestions posted above, thank you.  Are there drinks that are standouts at certain venues?

I was going to post these pics because I like canapes and hors d'oeuvres before dinner, but they make a good pivot point to cocktails.  Some of my favorite Crystal classics (that they still serve but have been popular for more than a decade) are the Pink Flower (gin, grapefruit, lemon sour and St-Germain), Ginger Cosmo (just like it sounds), and the Cable Car (spiced rum, orange curacao, lemon sour).  They stopped carrying Creme de Violette so they can't make a proper Aviation anymore, but I still enjoy their approximation.  The Bellini-Tini is really popular too.

They have evolving menus of Manhattans, Gin & Tonics and Martinis with newer, more contemporary options.

50131444551_c95269b112_z.jpg

49540569341_5f6a2ec3eb_z.jpg

49540333381_825d11eb16_z.jpg

51119833733_a3435db7fe_z.jpg

Vince

Posted (edited)

If you like Gin then try working your way through the special Gin cocktails menu - and if you finish that they have plenty more of them they can make for you 

34E89596-C292-4F48-9940-5FCFBDFACF3D.thumb.jpeg.e0385266d89e5b4a277976388f8bad51.jpeg

B28664C8-4814-4364-90A0-B57EB14C69DC.thumb.jpeg.4e40fc1b53513e36610bada9f30316d1.jpeg

Edited by Stickman1990

A couple of my favorites from Prego are less-photographed, so I thought I'd share them.  Full disclosure -- I always always order the carpaccio as a second appetizer.  hehe

Poached Lobster Medallion and Slow Steamed and Compressed Octopus with Crisp Shallots and Olive-Thyme Vinaigrette:

48897240198_1811e69d6f_z.jpg

Lavender Roasted Duck Breast, Balsamic Cherries, Chestnut Cappuccino, Salsify & Poached Radish:

48897968367_b60de1544a_z.jpg

Vince

9 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Great topic.

Keith

IMG_2875.thumb.jpeg.8d9e7913a9b552d91f4e54edc21d0eee.jpeg

IMG_3409.thumb.jpeg.5f8aabc2bb4da3f3a990edb89921a27c.jpeg

IMG_3492.thumb.jpeg.f27082be30c146efc1c2c8ad578adae4.jpeg

IMG_1925.thumb.jpeg.a406b39b65c9ccd241e8ac3c67a9d62b.jpeg

IMG_1685.thumb.jpeg.092df2e01b457f8af02de01d5e5ceb59.jpeg

16 hours ago, BWIVince said:

I was going to post these pics because I like canapes and hors d'oeuvres before dinner, but they make a good pivot point to cocktails.  Some of my favorite Crystal classics (that they still serve but have been popular for more than a decade) are the Pink Flower (gin, grapefruit, lemon sour and St-Germain), Ginger Cosmo (just like it sounds), and the Cable Car (spiced rum, orange curacao, lemon sour).  They stopped carrying Creme de Violette so they can't make a proper Aviation anymore, but I still enjoy their approximation.  The Bellini-Tini is really popular too.

They have evolving menus of Manhattans, Gin & Tonics and Martinis with newer, more contemporary options.

50131444551_c95269b112_z.jpg

49540569341_5f6a2ec3eb_z.jpg

49540333381_825d11eb16_z.jpg

51119833733_a3435db7fe_z.jpg

Vince

9 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Great topic.

Keith

IMG_2875.thumb.jpeg.8d9e7913a9b552d91f4e54edc21d0eee.jpeg

IMG_3409.thumb.jpeg.5f8aabc2bb4da3f3a990edb89921a27c.jpeg

IMG_3492.thumb.jpeg.f27082be30c146efc1c2c8ad578adae4.jpeg

IMG_1925.thumb.jpeg.a406b39b65c9ccd241e8ac3c67a9d62b.jpeg

IMG_1685.thumb.jpeg.092df2e01b457f8af02de01d5e5ceb59.jpeg

i like everything except for the beef wellington  -  never understood why people are so fond of it but if you like it : enjoy it !

however i like the cake - it is a variation  of a very old French classic called St Honoré however in the classic one the profiterolles must be covered with chocolate not with sugar  sorry for the gastronomical preaching - gastronomy is my long life  

I miss Prego specially the carpaccio  and the ample variation of martini's  - I am crazy of French Champagne  - at home I can open a bottle  and poar it but all those martini's 🙃

and a Sunsplash : it is not on the menu anymore but all the bartenders stiil do know it 

another cruiseline starting with O does call it the O classic made with Grey Goose Orange  - however it originally was a creation by the Bellagio in Vegas  made with Stoli Ohranj   - C does use Absolut Mandrin  ( what was not available on the Esprit ) so I deviated to a martini based on Absolut Citron 

I just want to say THANK YOU to everyone.  I'm enjoying every single picture and thrilled to learn about the Portuguese tarts, although my husband wants to do a Google image search with "safe search" turned off.🤪 We don't have any food pictures from our one Crystal cruise, but here's an old menu from 2008

crystal dinner menu.jpg

crystal dinner menu 2.jpg

crystal dinner p 3.jpg

That old menu brings back memories. All in all, I think I prefer the new menus. This is from someone whose dinner tonight was a Stouffer's Mac and Cheese, so anything on Crystal would be a treat!! 🤩

Patty

5 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

That old menu brings back memories. All in all, I think I prefer the new menus. This is from someone whose dinner tonight was a Stouffer's Mac and Cheese, so anything on Crystal would be a treat!! 🤩

Patty

At least you can go to a place to eat ... 

Unless "take away"  everything is closed as from  19th October overhere and you cannot imaging what even  better restaurants are doing to try and survive and have some cash  from selling the wine , home made breads, soups ,  - even one of the most famous in Brussels is selling "delicacies" to take away 

6 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Patty

That was my dinner tonight too!  Stouffer’s makes good mac and cheese.  I had a Zoom event from 5:30 to 7:00 PM and did not feel like cooking afterwards.

I have been keeping Uber Eats and Doordash busy too during the pandemic.  Some of the better restaurants are offering meal delivery, since indoor dining has been forbidden for so long in our area.  I hope these services for the higher end restaurants remain once restaurants are fully opened once again.

The new Crystal menus are certainly more exciting and innovative than the one from 2008.  The new menus do keep a sampling of the classics for those that prefer them though.