A FUN FOOD AND DRINK THREAD

islandchick

3 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Some action Drink photos from Symphony and Serenity.DSC00691.thumb.jpeg.63f967422e0b369894f243057e37a498.jpeg

DSC01345.thumb.jpeg.06d44f66b7742a518865de3d9bfb982c.jpeg

DSC01372.thumb.jpeg.4e3bd341fa2ec70d20e2945cf8539c94.jpeg

LRG_DSC00697.thumb.jpeg.3fd8b9c1074166d32f9ee61dabaf32ab.jpeg

OMG!!!! Isn't that Teo in the second and third shots? I was, just this very moment, thinking about him!

He was one of our favorites...even have his book!

More on favorite foods....unfortunately no pix, so just use your imagination...probably better than my photos anyway!

Boarding day luncheon in Barcelona...sea bream with a side of Cobb salad washed down with champagne....

Dinner in Monte Carlo....fresh lobster...When I questioned our waiters (Jose...male model and movie star and Adom, baby Barishnikov....OMG!!!) about the "fresh" part, they said it had just flown in and arrived in Nice that afternoon....needless to say, I was completely smitten, by the "boys" AND Crystal!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

OMG!!!! Isn't that Teo in the second and third shots? I was, just this very moment, thinking about him!

He was one of our favorites...even have his book!

More on favorite foods....unfortunately no pix, so just use your imagination...probably better than my photos anyway!

Boarding day luncheon in Barcelona...sea bream with a side of Cobb salad washed down with champagne....

Dinner in Monte Carlo....fresh lobster...When I questioned our waiters (Jose...male model and movie star and Adom, baby Barishnikov....OMG!!!) about the "fresh" part, they said it had just flown in and arrived in Nice that afternoon....needless to say, I was completely smitten, by the "boys" AND Crystal!

Yes it was Teo.  Thankfully we got to sail with him in 2018 not knowing at the time it would be our last time seeing him.

Keith

• Like 1

My contribution for today is a selection of some of my favorite courses from Umi Uma's (relatively, considering the shutdown) recent menu on Symphony.

Nobu Special Set:

48877452606_c32acf0cda_z.jpg

Lobster Tempura with Amazu Ponzu:

48877650417_e57df1749e_z.jpg

Grilled Australian Wagyu Beef Filet, Grilled Onions and Asparagus, Trio of Anticucho Teriyaki and Nobu-Style Wasabi Petter Sauces:

48877650517_53b74c429b_z.jpg

"Whiskey Cappuccino" - Buttermilk Ice Cream Topped with Whiskey Cream:

48876919643_1bd154aa10_z.jpg

I promise no sake was wasted -- the glass is only still full at the end of the meal because it kept getting refilled continuously.  I think I ended up taking a full glass back to my cabin so the portion didn't get wasted.  😀

Vince

• Like 10

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

My contribution for today is a selection of some of my favorite courses from Umi Uma's (relatively, considering the shutdown) recent menu on Symphony.

Yummm. It all looks terrific. And my husband really wants to try that "Whiskey Cappuccino" - Buttermilk Ice Cream Topped with Whiskey Cream"  I'm not much of a drinker, but I think even I'd love that. 

12 hours ago, SuitCaseBears said:

Yummm. It all looks terrific. And my husband really wants to try that "Whiskey Cappuccino" - Buttermilk Ice Cream Topped with Whiskey Cream"  I'm not much of a drinker, but I think even I'd love that. 

I think you’d like it — its not really boozy but has a great flavor.  It’s very balanced.  

The trio of creme brûlée’s (ginger, guava and passion fruit) was my go-to for a long time, but it’s existed in some form with Crystal for roughly 30 years, through at least 4 venue brands/themes...  This provided a nice break from that.  

They have a lychee sorbet that’s served with a tropical fruit plate that I’ve been known to order on its own without the fruit when I’m absolutely stuffed and need something really light.  I can eat just about anything made with lychee.  😊

Vince

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pooch1 said:

One of our favourite desserts - Salzburger Nockerl . Yum Yum !! 

Wish we are back on the ship. 

i hope they will serve those on the river cruise in  October 

2 hours ago, vistaman said:

i hope they will serve those on the river cruise in  October 

On the ocean ships it's a "special order", but they always provide it when requested for the next day.

Patty

4 minutes ago, islandchick said:

It would be fantastic if they did something like the gala buffet on the Bahamas cruise since there wont be tons of things to see on these islands. 

in the past, the last few years, the Gala buffet was on cruises with 4 or more sea days.  With Covid, who knows if it will continue.

Regardless, you’ll have wonderful food on your cruise.

Nancy

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, islandchick said:

It would be fantastic if they did something like the gala buffet on the Bahamas cruise since there wont be tons of things to see on these islands. 

I really wouldn't get my hopes up for this happening. It's only a 7 day cruise but the bigger issue is COVID precautions and hygiene when it comes to open/self serve buffets. I think we've seen the last of them with the new style buffet being served by crew and food behind screens

For me that's a good thing - while I enjoy the occasional buffet I prefer the increased hygiene when it comes to guests handling serving implements and in some cases food!

Edited by Stickman1990
  • Like 5

i found that 4 days rule far from ok  - on a classic Caribbean  ex Florida you always do have 4 sea days providing there is no call in Key West  and the Caribbean cruises are not the most expensive ones  especially those just before the holidays in Dceember.

on the other side on rather expensive and some very expensive cruises as North Cape and the "classic" Black Sea before the "russian facts"  it was not done as those cruises only had 3 sea days 

however with covid i think fancy buffets are history until the virus is beaten ...

I know I’m in the vast minority on this, but I’m a HUGE fan of the 4-day rule, since the Gala is my fourth least favorite specialty buffet...  Mostly because of the lack of proper sanitation controls since it’s in the Plaza (improper holding temps, physical barriers, etc..)  Ick.

For sailings with 1 sea day, I’d rather have the Asian buffet every single time.

Just me...

Vince

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vistaman said:

i found that 4 days rule far from ok  - on a classic Caribbean  ex Florida you always do have 4 sea days providing there is no call in Key West  and the Caribbean cruises are not the most expensive ones  especially those just before the holidays in Dceember.

on the other side on rather expensive and some very expensive cruises as North Cape and the "classic" Black Sea before the "russian facts"  it was not done as those cruises only had 3 sea days 

however with covid i think fancy buffets are history until the virus is beaten ...

Actually that pic is from the North Cape in 2019.

3 hours ago, BWIVince said:

I know I’m in the vast minority on this, but I’m a HUGE fan of the 4-day rule, since the Gala is my fourth least favorite specialty buffet...  Mostly because of the lack of proper sanitation controls since it’s in the Plaza (improper holding temps, physical barriers, etc..)  Ick.

For sailings with 1 sea day, I’d rather have the Asian buffet every single time.

Just me...

Vince

I appreciate people who are germaphobes, actually love some who are such, but I've managed to make it all these years starting out crawling on the floor and then sticking my hands in my mouth to drinking out of the garden hose as a child to the Grand Gala Buffet on Crystal!! Sad, but accept (reluctantly) that the Grand Gala Buffet is a thing of the past and that I might never see the hard boiled egg penguins again!

Patty

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Actually that pic is from the North Cape in 2019.

I was on the n. Cape cruise in 2018 and we had at least 4 sea days.  Sadly, my June Norway cruise was cancelled.  It also had 4 sea days.

nancy

I imagine these type of free for all buffets won't be allowed and shouldn't be allowed during Covid but what I really meant is it would be nice if they had something special like the Gala buffet for our cruise. They could serve us so that it is safer. I know it probably wont happen but its really only wishing out loud. On my last Seabourn cruise they had a beach day while in the Caribbean with grilled lobster and lots of other great food on the beach. They really put a amazing day together. That was the best beach day of my life and I will remember it fondly forever. 

• Like 1