A FUN FOOD AND DRINK THREAD

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

I appreciate people who are germaphobes, actually love some who are such, but I've managed to make it all these years starting out crawling on the floor and then sticking my hands in my mouth to drinking out of the garden hose as a child to the Grand Gala Buffet on Crystal!! Sad, but accept (reluctantly) that the Grand Gala Buffet is a thing of the past and that I might never see the hard boiled egg penguins again!

Patty

Definition of being Crystalized  

!cid_A24C55C1-81AD-4001-8CD7-F9B9069D7FDE.jpg

2 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Actually that pic is from the North Cape in 2019.

then you were lucky 😃 i did North  Cape twice  and Black Sea "how it used to be" once  - the gala buffet was not done ...

8 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

I appreciate people who are germaphobes, actually love some who are such, but I've managed to make it all these years starting out crawling on the floor and then sticking my hands in my mouth to drinking out of the garden hose as a child to the Grand Gala Buffet on Crystal!! Sad, but accept (reluctantly) that the Grand Gala Buffet is a thing of the past and that I might never see the hard boiled egg penguins again!

Patty

8 hours ago, islandchick said:

I imagine these type of free for all buffets won't be allowed and shouldn't be allowed during Covid but what I really meant is it would be nice if they had something special like the Gala buffet for our cruise. They could serve us so that it is safer. I know it probably wont happen but its really only wishing out loud. On my last Seabourn cruise they had a beach day while in the Caribbean with grilled lobster and lots of other great food on the beach. They really put a amazing day together. That was the best beach day of my life and I will remember it fondly forever. 

I tagged Patty’s message in my reply because I not only recognize but honor every point she makes (I’ve admitted I’m nutty on this for years), BUT to her comment about the egg penguins, to what end?  That’s really my underlying complaint about the Grand Gala Buffet.  If it was some amazing culinary experience, or some charming event, I’d be more than happy to endure the rough edges...  But think we overly romanticize these in our memories.   For my personal preferences, it’s almost all downside (setting aside the sanitation issues):

Ambiance — one person’s “festive” is another person’s crowded, loud mob scene.  The lobby isn’t nearly large enough to comfortably hold all the people that are trying to get served, and there the popular stations get mobbed by the lack of flow control on the crowd.  It brings out the worst behavior in some of the passengers that get really rude, despite there obviously being PLENTY of food at that moment.  

Food - It’s way more cute than it is good.  The egg penguins are adorable until you have to eat them.  (Ever bite into a clove by accident?). The few items that are really special (like the seafood) are usually also available in Marketplace simultaneously.

Service — The MDR gets swamped with trying to serve everyone at once, and it has to be the only time I’ve ever sat with an empty glass in the MDR for any prolonged period of time.

Again, I fully admit my irrational bias here, but I just think there are way more special buffets Crystal does, which I DO think some form of will likely live on.  I pray the GGB isn’t one of them though.  😏

Vince

(ducking the tomatoes) 

PS — I like the Sunday (at-sea) Jazz Brunch way better, it has more atmosphere, less noise, less crowds (hence better service), and generally more flavor-focused food.  I use that as an example as a buffet where I think the limitations of using the Crystal Plaza are somewhat mitigated by more positives, since it’s the “other” regular theme buffet held there.

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

Vince, 

I've never eaten one of the hard boiled egg penguins, just like to see the different ways they are decorated. 😜😲😏

Patty

Agree they look nice in a photo...  Maybe they will serve these on Endeavor   🙂

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Ambiance — The lobby isn’t nearly large enough to comfortably hold all the people that are trying to get served, and there the popular stations get mobbed by the lack of flow control on the crowd.   

Food - It’s way more cute than it is good.  

I totally agree with brave Vince on this one (and yes, it’s really ok to not love everything Crystal). I can never even get close to those little lobsters I adore because it’s 4 deep surrounding the station and the biggest elbows win. 

I do like a quality buffet but flow control is a problem for the Gala. 

(And P.S. a lot of those petit fours and other mini desserts sitting out look way better than they taste).

Edited by Cruise-y

From Serenity’s 2018 Holiday cruise RT LA-Hawaii. The Vintage Room’s California Wine Lunch. For this particular voyage the price was $75. A4BFB50A-31A3-4A85-8A40-D2902D2F6A47.thumb.jpeg.72f2c30741b6829c8f46fee1c21ca221.jpeg

701C49BA-E755-4F59-BE32-B819357E81AD.jpeg

73FCDF2E-6B13-409D-90ED-8DC4DAE7FCDB.jpeg

04DDC91A-DE0D-488E-BF1F-EDA8570230A9.jpeg

8868BE17-619D-4619-87A1-919AB23A062C.jpeg

8 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Ambiance — one person’s “festive” is another person’s crowded, loud mob scene.  The lobby isn’t nearly large enough to comfortably hold all the people that are trying to get served, and there the popular stations get mobbed by the lack of flow control on the crowd.  It brings out the worst behavior in some of the passengers that get really rude, despite there obviously being PLENTY of food at that moment.  

PREACH.

When it comes to ambiance and festiveness, and I’m strolling down memory lane here, give me the old themed lunch buffets around the pool any day over the GGB. They were like a fun block party. 

Granted, they had their sanitation/food temp issues as well, but I sure miss ‘em.

I agree with Vince concerning the rude behavior of some guests  during the gala buffet - once an overweight lady simply pushed away several other guests - i got a punch of het elbow - to reach the display with the lobsters  - she at least took 6 of those  at once 

in the nineties such a similar buffet was done on the ms Vistafjord - Cunard - with free aquavit - I save you the further details 😄

Buffets are always a waist of food - even the one for  the daily breakfast -  but sometimes the displays are really great ! 

On Crystal I especially like the special pastries and cakes on that  buffet . 

4 hours ago, BEAV said:

PREACH.

When it comes to ambiance and festiveness, and I’m strolling down memory lane here, give me the old themed lunch buffets around the pool any day over the GGB. They were like a fun block party. 

Granted, they had their sanitation/food temp issues as well, but I sure miss ‘em.

I miss them too!!!

Nancy

You know in the end Crystal would never let the lobsters get down to zero, so there is never a need to push.  Yes and the down side is the service in the MDR at during these events, since everyone is stuffing themselves at once, service does suffer a bit.  But as Vistaman pointed out -- oh those deserts.  🙂

!cid_F3DD1A01-B44B-4AB9-94E1-24ACBFABA163.jpg

!cid_02328149-D2F9-46BC-AF18-D47D60F9B0DB.jpg

!cid_238C84B4-8923-4397-8178-855AC0F77BB6.jpg

Posted (edited)

Don't have any pictures but my favorites are having Cobb salad for lunch, and crab soup for dinner on embarkation day.

The lobster tempura at Umi Uma and the miso black cod -divine!

My favorite drink was a lavender infused drink (I think it had vodka in it?) that they used to serve in Tastes. Does anyone remember that? I wish I knew the ingredients so I could make it at home. Thanks all for the great trip down memory lane

Edited by juicyjuju
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, islandchick said:

Anyone else have any favorite drinks/ food items? Just trying to get back on topic and away from sanitation. 

A big bowl of fruit with honey, followed by waffles, link sausage, hash browns for breakfast.

Reuben or individual pizza for lunch followed by B&J triple caramel with butterscotch sauce.

The special sashimi starters at Umi Uma.  Two plates of four.

Cupcakes, fruit, chocolate from Bistro.

I'm a simple man.

Edited by flyingshoes
10 hours ago, islandchick said:

Anyone else have any favorite drinks/ food items? Just trying to get back on topic and away from sanitation. 

I enjoy the wines served on board.  I normally do not have mixed drinks but on a few cruises each night I tried one of the Gin drinks which is featured on the menus at some of the lounges such as the Crystal Cove.  They have several to choose from.  Some were developed by bartenders on-board Serenity and Symphony.

As to food.  Where do you start?

Lots of great food in Umi Uma including the sushi and sashimi.  Prego offers several wonderful Italian items.

Waterside.  I enjoy the fresh seafood and appetizers on the modern menu (the have modern and a traditional menu) and while I don't eat beef very often once in awhile will have the Beef Wellington.

dsc00611_orig.thumb.jpg.4ba38b64c4c98ae2bb8796cc037b1b8e.jpg

IMG_4285.thumb.jpg.6e5cb1c61c984adea8f53c16c1958820.jpg

IMG_4284.thumb.jpg.97113f822a1d6df110015871703ac5bb.jpg

IMG_4283.thumb.jpg.578d968e3baa8350e1bd86685bedc292.jpg

IMG_4286.thumb.jpg.52dc8c85d6fd21380e398df38e838bb4.jpg

img-4866.jpg.9d6421871ad3287c8a95f23f03ed8eea.jpg

img-4867.jpg.df36dd721b38560654dee3554e2e895b.jpg

Thank you for trying to get the thread back on topic.  It is a great topic and shouldn't need to involve any disagreements.  Food and Drink.  What could be better?  LOL.

Keith

We miss the pool buffets too!

Some Favorites 
Cobb Salad

Beef Wellington 

Lobster and Risotto 

Miso Cod

Prego Lasagna 

Chocolate Creme Brûlée

could easily keep listing 

Ahhhh, cannot wait to get back on Crystal 

16 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Thank you for trying to get the thread back on topic.  It is a great topic and shouldn't need to involve any disagreements.

In my family almost EVERY disagreement centers around food!  😀😆  ...And in a surprise to no one on the board, sometimes about sanitation too.  🙄

Let me start out by saying this message is intended to be fun and a cute nod to what many Crystal passengers consider to be a tradition -- the embarkation lunch.

A lot of people on CC talk about rituals they have with every embarkation -- especially those that go to Waterside for lunch.  I've never been one of those -- I have lots of traditions, but I've never gone out of my way to order the same thing on purpose.

And yet, here are my embarkation lunches for the past three cruises:

2019 Appetizer:

50131667357_c089da0cde_z.jpg

2018 Appetizer:

28339013738_a2734fe4ce_z.jpg

2017 Appetizer:

30577014213_77699be27c_z.jpg

2019 Main:

50131445156_3b79dd6847_z.jpg

2018 Main:

28339013528_30d6daf44b_z.jpg

2017 Main:

31015293680_2407c23299_z.jpg

2019 Dessert:

50131667377_c2af89983d_z.jpg

2018 Dessert:

41490724324_c5ba5553f8_z.jpg

I don't have a picture of the 2017 dessert, but I'm pretty sure it was something like the raspberry sundae.  :classic_blush:

I don't know how much of this is unconscious tradition, or how much of it is just preference when presented with a burger, pasta, steak, chicken, salmon or a cobb salad...  But either way, it's a delicious way to kick off a cruise!

Vince 

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

In my family almost EVERY disagreement centers around food!  😀😆  .

Here's one:

Vince's family: Vince, really, Knorr?

Vince: It was a moment of weakness...

Please note, this is a food post.  Also, I'm glad I came upon this update after dinner, would have made me ravenous otherwise.

From day one we've always enjoyed Silk Road which became Umi Uma.  Some food photos from there.

For us it is very special.

Ummm.  I guess this is why they call it a Specialty Restaurant.

Keith

IMG_2725.thumb.jpeg.6cf42aedf3c3b7c7fe93bc258432fbbe.jpeg

IMG_2724.thumb.jpeg.5d3cf751d565c245917aa1a4066a5187.jpeg

IMG_2723.thumb.jpeg.b6c3e2f94f7a64e62468156c6ef3f5f7.jpeg

IMG_2722.thumb.jpeg.3a934ca4cb1101cb76ff949fc1c99d58.jpeg

IMG_2718.thumb.jpeg.8aef8c516ed5ce538d5cca2564242452.jpeg

IMG_2719.thumb.jpeg.38062bbbc517c17ddf159d7fc952b641.jpeg

IMG_2720.thumb.jpeg.5c9fb1982c33888c199518b0189f3879.jpeg

IMG_2721.thumb.jpeg.683079152e70fce786b0d528527ed2e3.jpeg

What no favorites from the churrascaria??  🙂

Then of course fresh oysters.  Many cruise lines avoid these...

And of course Caviar.   Order another if you wish Crystal aim to please.

!cid_BE0A9D90-134E-4EB7-8A88-981B5409A2F8.jpg

!cid_41C3006A-B3CD-4B09-9A01-79A6F16955B4.jpg

I’ve seen a few references to the Cobb Salad;  I’m assuming Crystal does it better than most, but any other comments on how it is so good?

Asking for a friend....

55 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

I’ve seen a few references to the Cobb Salad;  I’m assuming Crystal does it better than most, but any other comments on how it is so good?

Asking for a friend....

It's a nice salad with a lot of ingredients in it.  I guess for us on our third cruise with Crystal (used to be you didn't board till 3:00 PM but that changed in 2004) we knew we would be eating a lot and thought we would have a light lunch so for us it is Cobb Salad and a Flute of Champagne which became our tradition. I do find it does have the right mix of ingredients and doesn't over power you. 

Now I am a big salad eater so everyday we have salad for lunch and that includes while we are at home.

I an including Cobb Salad photos from two different voyages a few years apart.P1010967.thumb.jpg.7cb4dfb07a3158c06f193f4e4c1d15e3.jpg

IMG_8008.thumb.jpeg.1ed6e94f28f2632f88cb15b425fe53ff.jpeg

P1100414.thumb.jpeg.c22e335bb09bb2f37ae6536c7091bc81.jpeg