Cruises cancelled through 8/21

FlightMedic555

We just heard as well - I was so optimistic with the announcements coming out of Tahiti about opening.  I am shocked they did this but I guess nothing should come as a surprise.  Now just trying to determine when to reschedule.

I'm thinking that the French company,  Ponant, did not like the announcement by French Polynesia stating that there would be no flights from France allowed on May 1st because of their Covid situation. Ponant retaliated by shutting down the Paul Gauguin since they have plenty of other ships that can carry French citizens.

When the Ponant rep joined our PG cruise in 2019 in the Cook Islands, and joined us on our tender, I had a feeling we should have cancelled our April 2020 cruise because he was so arrogant, and had nothing in common with us in what we like when cruising. And from the crew onboard about what he said to them, I felt that even more.

But we really wanted to take that Fiji to Bali to cruise in April 2020. And it was cancelled 2 weeks before it sailed, with nothing offered to us other than a future cruise credit that doesn't even cover a Tahiti to Tahiti cruise in December 2021. Our original itinerary isn't offered again while our FCC is valid, and that's the only itinerary we were interested in since we've already done all of the others offered by PG. Our expensive Allianz insurance covered nothing for our losses for hotels or rental cars on the way there and back, even though they were included in our covered trip dates, because pandemics are not included in their insurance.

I have a very bad feeling about this. We were hoping this would be our first cruise since we returned from our 32 night Regent cruise on January 11th 2020. After PG cancelled us, we've cancelled 6 cruises since then, with several being multiple times). Only 1 cruise, on Silvesea, didn't have monetary consequences (although Allianz forgot to refund our insurance after being notified for that cruise and kept our 2500 dollars until we noticed it almost a year later).

We're both vaccinated, but still don't mind wearing masks and sanitizing our hands in public. But until we successfully take a cruise again, I will not be booking any more cruises. And if PG doesn't sail in December ... ?

• Like 1

I think anyone from the US who was thinking about being able to cruise in June has already been vaccinated.  That was certainly true of our group of 12 that was set to go on the June 16 voyage.  We are all quite upset with this news.  Now comes the hassle of trying to find a date and reschedule.  I'm feeling like I don't even want to look at 2021 and we are now looking toward late 2022.  

This is SWFLAOK (the other half).

We had a Regent Cruise set for September. We spoke with our TA who contacted them and they all thought the cruise was going to happen. We balked and punted it to '22. Given how things are going all around the world it seemed as though the shore excursions would be limited or closed even if the cruise happens. The Regent rep reflected on our action as "conservative but wise".

Looking at COVID Live Update: 140,643,165 Cases and 3,015,001 Deaths from the Coronavirus - Worldometer (worldometers.info) one has to wonder why there is any optimism regarding cruises since the infection rates on mainland Europe are either steady or going up. The U.K. seems to be the outlier that is settling down. 

At this point I will be pleasantly surprised if anything gets going before the end of the year and that would be our PG cruise in Dec..  

• Like 1

We all feel the pain, and the burn...and sorry you are all going thru more cancellations...I’m sure if ponant had to do it over again, they might not of made this purchase of the PG, speculation on my part only....sounds like their heart isn’t in this endeavor ..me? I’d start the process of getting my money back ( no future credit ) until ponant and cruise lines in general settle down. Good luck...hopefully we can all get back to some regularity and travel to FP soon ! 

• Like 1

At this point I didn't even want to consider 2021.  Our group of 12 has just rebooked for the Oct 19, 2022 voyage.  We originally booked for Oct 2020, moved to June 2021, now Oct 2022.  Hopefully third time is the charm.  Fares went down a little and PG applied a 20% FCC based on the amount paid - which was basically our deposit.  I have to say that United has been really great to work with in changing/canceling flights for either e-certificates good for 24 months or full refunds.

• Like 1