St. Vincent volcano : cruise ship helps evacuees

So the cruise lines are again helping out in emergency evacuations of people on St. Vincent island. US and Canadian citizens and others are boarding these Cruise ships to escape possible death. Yet the CDC of the United States sends out a reminder to the evacuees that it's not safe to travel on cruise ships because of possible Covid-19 exposure . You cant make this stuff up. What are we suppose to do let them die?      Thank God the cruise industry is once again stepping up to help out.

2 hours ago, phoneman69 said:

So the cruise lines are again helping out in emergency evacuations of people on St. Vincent island. US and Canadian citizens and others are boarding these Cruise ships to escape possible death. Yet the CDC of the United States sends out a reminder to the evacuees that it's not safe to travel on cruise ships because of possible Covid-19 exposure . You cant make this stuff up. What are we suppose to do let them die?      Thank God the cruise industry is once again stepping up to help out.

It’s sort of like letting an ambulance exceed the posted speed limit while taking an injured person to a hospital, while stopping a guy who is speeding on his way to a bar. Context counts.

4 hours ago, phoneman69 said:

So are you saying that in the context of rescuing people that the CDC was recommending against doing that???

10 minutes ago, clo said:

So are you saying that in the context of rescuing people that the CDC was recommending against doing that???

No, what he was trying to say was that recreational cruising was no more important than saving lives.

IDK, I read this as saying when does a natural disaster emergency trump vaccine requirements for evacuees boarding cruise ships.   I don't know what the actual situation is.   

7 hours ago, phoneman69 said:

I suspect that wording was from the CDC posting last spring when cruising stopped.. likely part of boiler plate and has not been looked at since. Cruising has not been on the CDC radar.. so likely no one thought about this in the context of a rescue

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

No, what he was trying to say was that recreational cruising was no more important than saving lives.

As usual, your succinctness is spot-on. Thanks.

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

You are correct. To the CDC both have equal value in the Covid-19 world that they issue their policy's under.

3 hours ago, kearney said:

I suspect that wording was from the CDC posting last spring when cruising stopped.. likely part of boiler plate and has not been looked at since. Cruising has not been on the CDC radar.. so likely no one thought about this in the context of a rescue

No it was reissued by the CDC in their 4/2/2021 release. I read that only Vaccinated citizens at this point are being allowed to board the rescue cruise ships. 

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, phoneman69 said:

No it was reissued by the CDC in their 4/2/2021 release. I read that only Vaccinated citizens at this point are being allowed to board the rescue cruise ships. 

That decision was made by the neighboring islands where they would be taken. Not the cruise lines. That's the kind of misinformation that does harm IMO.

https://www.jpost.com/international/st-vincent-volcano-only-those-vaccinated-for-covid-19-can-evacuate-pm-664781

Edited by clo
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, phoneman69 said:

CDC has no jurisdiction outside of US territory. It has not and cannot dictate who is allowed to board rescue craft in St Vincent.

Edited by broberts
1 hour ago, phoneman69 said:

I thought it was the cruise ships that are requiring the vaccine, not the CDC.  

5 minutes ago, broberts said:

CDC has no jurisdiction outside of US territory. It has not and cannot dictate who is allowed to board rescue craft in St Vincent.

I agree.  Good point.  I suppose CDC could still issue a warning for US citizens.  

1 hour ago, clo said:

That decision was made by the neighboring islands where they would be taken. Not the cruise lines. That's the kind of misinformation that does harm IMO.

https://www.jpost.com/international/st-vincent-volcano-only-those-vaccinated-for-covid-19-can-evacuate-pm-664781

Believe me it was Never my intention to criticize the Cruise lines in any way. It is their concern for the country's and the passengers that they do business that have made the industry go Great. Yes i read that the country's that the passenger were going to disembark in were requiring that the passengers were vaccinated.       

That decision had nothing to do with the CDC -- it was a matter of neighboring island nations not wanting to accept the risk of welcoming unvaccinated - and therefore potentially contagious - evacuees.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

That decision had nothing to do with the CDC -- it was a matter of neighboring island nations not wanting to accept the risk of welcoming unvaccinated - and therefore potentially contagious - evacuees.

So the CDC could not have come out with a date for return to sailing? Let's say Aug 1st. Over 90 days, those who want to get vaccinated in the USA and most probability Other country's severed by the cruise industry would be vaccinated if they choose too. Then let the Cruise lines determine whats best for their company's and industry. The CDC seems not to want to attach a date for return to sailing in US waters. Mean while other form of entertainment will be in full swing within 60 days.

5 minutes ago, phoneman69 said:

So the CDC could not have come out with a date for return to sailing? Let's say Aug 1st. Over 90 days, those who want to get vaccinated in the USA and most probability Other country's severed by the cruise industry would be vaccinated if they choose too. Then let the Cruise lines determine whats best for their company's and industry. The CDC seems not to want to attach a date for return to sailing in US waters. Mean while other form of entertainment will be in full swing within 60 days.

Aren't we talking about the volcano and how the CDC had nothing to do with it?

3 minutes ago, phoneman69 said:

The CDC lacks a crystal ball.  With COVID infections now surging in a majority of US states, it seems unlikely that they can reasonably and responsibly determine that Aug. 1 will be the magic date.   And, it is not just the CDC -- cruises cannot take place without welcoming ports of call.

I am sure that the cruise lines can determine "...whats (sic) best for their company and industry..."   --- but the CDC has a wider responsibility than just assuring that cruise lines operate profitably.

What happens 60 days from now is not carved in stone -- sorry about that.

6 minutes ago, clo said:

Not all of us --- some of us seem only able to talk about how soon cruising from US ports can start -- regardless of realities.

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Not all of us --- some of us seem only able to talk about how soon cruising from US ports can start -- regardless of realities.

Oh sigh.

10 hours ago, clo said:

Yes my original point was. Again the cruise industry came to the rescue when needed. In this case a volcano in other cases natural disasters and hurricanes. Should  the  industry not be shown some good will? The Vaccine chatter kind of made a left in the topic .

3 minutes ago, phoneman69 said:

Yes my original point was. Again the cruise industry came to the rescue when needed. In this case a volcano in other cases natural disasters and hurricanes. Should  the  industry not be shown some good will? The Vaccine chatter kind of made a left in the topic .

The CDC is not in the public relations business -- showing good will is not their job:  attempting to limit contagion is.  Yes--- cruise lines should be given recognition for stepping up to the plate, but expecting the CDC to abandon their function makes no sense .

20 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

The CDC is not in the public relations business -- showing good will is not their job:  attempting to limit contagion is.  Yes--- cruise lines should be given recognition for stepping up to the plate, but expecting the CDC to abandon their function makes no sense .

No but expecting them to set fair guide lines is surely something i can expect. Disney land & world is open, Universal studios and other parks open as well. All of the airlines are flying and have announced that they will no longer have empty middle seats. I could go on and on. I personalty see them targeting the cruise industry.