Jump to content

Norwegian Fjords


Recommended Posts

On 5/1/2021 at 12:02 PM, kitkat343 said:

I would agree that the scenic beauty of the Norwegian fjords outshined the beauty of Alaska for us.  I also loved our Baltic cruise, but that was all about museums and exploring cities. 

This post, along with some of the other posts, perfectly addressed our inquiry.  Thank you!  We live in Vancouver, BC and in 2019, we were on an Alaska cruise.  It was lovely but not overwhelming since we live on the west coast.  The Norwegian Fjords & Baltic cruises were on our bucket list and 'assumed' that it would be different from Alaska so I'm glad we booked a B2B - Norwegian Fjords (May 7/22) followed by Scandinavia/Russia (May 14/22) on Celebrity Silhouette.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We were booked on Silhouette Aug 26 Norwegian fjords which was 9 days and visited Gerainger and Flam.  It was cancelled and I think the 2022 cruises are only 7 days and do not go to either Flam or Gerainger.  Very very disappointed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

We were booked on Silhouette Aug 26 Norwegian fjords which was 9 days and visited Gerainger and Flam.  It was cancelled and I think the 2022 cruises are only 7 days and do not go to either Flam or Gerainger.  Very very disappointed. 

Look more carefully. Each date seems to have a slightly different itinerary. There is one that goes to Geiranger (June 19), and others that go to Olden (April 30, May 7). The July 16 and August 13 cruises go to neither. None go to Flåm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I read somewhere that Flam does not want to welcome big cruise ships any longer.  Looks like you take some very interesting cruises.  I see you have done both Uniworld and AMA.  Which one did you like better?  We have only sailed with AMA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

I think I read somewhere that Flam does not want to welcome big cruise ships any longer.  Looks like you take some very interesting cruises.  I see you have done both Uniworld and AMA.  Which one did you like better?  We have only sailed with AMA.

I assume that you are talking to me. I have done only Uniworld in Europe; AMA (and Avalon) in SE Asia. I think that a lot has changed on Uniworld since I cruised with them, especially the price which has jumped a lot. I have no need of all-inclusive; I barely drink alcohol.

 

That said, my first Uniworld trip was the year of the Icelandic volcano; I wasn't sure if I could get there at all, and we had only 47 passengers on board. I loved it. I wasn't as enamoured about the second trip; fewer of the places were walk-off-the-ship, and we had a lot more people around. The decor on Uniworld doesn't do anything for me; on my first cruise I was in a less expensive cabin with (thank goodness) more restrained decor. I saw the first SS ship (the SS Maria Theresa, we were rafted next to them somewhere) and I found it really over the top. The cabins on the older ships are fairly small; I'm a single so it wasn't an issue, but I'm not sure whether I could have shared the space with anyone.

 

I wasn't enamoured of the twin balcony on AMA; I found that neither the actual balcony nor the little French balcony was useful; it just made the cabin cramped.

 

You didn't ask, but I loved the panorama cabins on Avalon (although our Irawaddy cruise has cabins somewhat larger than the European ones). They have a huge window, and 2/3 of it opens up as a French balcony, with the bed facing the water. But we had only 18 passengers on a ship that would carry a maximum of 36, so it isn't comparable to a European cruise.

 

I would cruise with any of the 3 again given the right price and itinerary.

Edited by gnome12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 12:07 PM, hallasm said:

An Alaska cruise cannot be compared with Baltic cruise - a Baltic cruise does include cultural cities like Copenhagen, Stockholm, St. Petersburg, Helsinki and Riga - Might  have meant a Norwegian Fjords Cruise - the deep Norwegian fjords are impressive.
Many Baltic and Norwegian Fjord cruises originate from Copenhagen and are ideal for B2B.

Just be aware that not all Norwegian cruises does include the long fjords - look for itineraries like Geiranger, Flåm, and Olden - a Norwegian fjord Cruise should include at least one of these ports - preferable two in order to navigate the scenic fjords in my video in post #7.

 

As I thought. RCL Jewel has one date upcoming for 2022. AUG 31. I think I am in. Has Flam, Geiranger, and possibly Olden as well. Thank you for confirming for me. 

 

Looks just gorgeous. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, waverley7 said:

Flam, Geiranger, and possibly Olden

Excellent itinerary- three scenic fjord cruising sand excellent port stops. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After being cancelled 4 times with Viking over the past year and a half, we are scheduled for next year going to Iceland and Norway with Viking.   We are really looking forward to this cruise on a smaller ship (900 plus).  We're also taking the train into Oslo, where I had lived when I was 4.  I've been  on larger ships and I'm looking forward to a much smaller ship, and granted the price is a little higher but worth the extra cost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/18/2021 at 10:26 AM, PhillyTravelBug said:

I am also looking to book a fjord cruise for summer of 2022. I’m debating if doing the typical 7-9 night if the usual stops for the fjord cruise, or going all. In and doing the cruise all the way to the north cape.  Most likely, we will do celebrity, royal, or MSC. Anyone done both “itineraries”?

 We are looking at the same as you. I would like to see what you get for replies. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually booked on the Norwegian Prima for August of 2023. 10 night trip from Iceland to Norway, Netherlands, Belgium, to Southampton. 2 of my bucket list destinations are Norway and Iceland and thus bangs them both out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We booked the HAL Volendam r/t Rotterdam up to the North Cape and back in May 2022. We've spent a few port days in Norway before, but Stavanger will be the only repeat for us. Several sea days (but that's ok with us) and several days up various fjords. Whatever you choose, have a GREAT trip, I'm sure it's going to be fantastic.

 

Best wishes!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I am very interested in everyone’s posts - thank you.

I have a courtesy hold on Oceania’s Marina departing 29 June 2022 on a 10-day cruise, including ports of call Kristiansand, Maloy, Alesund, Olden, Kristiansund and Haugesund. I might not have the ports listed in chronological order.

One question I have is whether I should consider DIY excursions. Are there local tour companies that cater to cruise pax? Often the excursion experience is much better and less costly when booking w local tour companies. Also, supports locals over corporations…….

Thanks again for your responses!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

One question I have is whether I should consider DIY excursions. Are there local tour companies that cater to cruise pax?

There are a few but you would need to research and book this well in advance. It’s not particularly common given the high cost of labor. A lot of people choose completely DIY activities planned on their own, since Norway is a fairly easy place to navigate in English.


There’s plenty of information on the board about Olden and Ålesund, but the others are much less visited by cruise travelers. It’s a bit of an unusual itinerary, with calls at lots of small coastal towns and only one fjord port (Olden).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

There are a few but you would need to research and book this well in advance. It’s not particularly common given the high cost of labor. A lot of people choose completely DIY activities planned on their own, since Norway is a fairly easy place to navigate in English.


There’s plenty of information on the board about Olden and Ålesund, but the others are much less visited by cruise travelers. It’s a bit of an unusual itinerary, with calls at lots of small coastal towns and only one fjord port (Olden).

Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Here is another fjord route that covers a lot. The cruise line is new and expensive, but the route looks very interesting.

 

https://atlasoceanvoyages.com/destination/16-night-dublin-to-tromso/

 

Note that if you are searching for it, it comes up under British Isles because it departs from Dublin (which isn't actually in Britain). This goes to Flåm, Olden and Geiranger, as well as cruising Trollfjord and going to the Lofoten Islands and North Cape.

 

I am seriously considering this if they do it, or a similar route in 2023.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/28/2021 at 12:01 PM, waverley7 said:

Thank you for sharing this. I am just beginning to research and not sure which Baltic cruise to do. This is beautiful , big help. 

 

Happy sailing

Janice

 

On 4/28/2021 at 12:12 PM, hallasm said:

Happy to help - normally Baltic cruise doesn’t include Norwegian Fjords but the area round the Baltic Sea.

We're booked on one next July that combines them both, Baltic and Fjords, we hope in a meaningful way.  It's on Regent Seven Seas Splendor, 18 nights, Copenhagen to Stockholm: https://www.rssc.com/cruises/SPL220708A/summary#tabs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/27/2021 at 5:48 PM, gnome12 said:

Here is another fjord route that covers a lot.

interesting itinerary 
For scenisk cruising Hellesylt/Geiranger is the most scenic fjord cruise - Hellesylt is only a technical stop for tours.

Oslo fjord is long but not as scenic. Bergen is a excellent DYI

 

if Stockholm, a city based dock location there will be a very scenic cruising through the archipelago - if Nynäshamn dock (Stockholm) no scenic cruising.

Tallinn is also a nice old city for DIY.

Bornholm (Rønne) is also s nice location - very small island so plan well in advance (distance to sights) - Rønne as city is not as exiting.

Also some not so interesting ports.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, hallasm said:

interesting itinerary 
For scenisk cruising Hellesylt/Geiranger is the most scenic fjord cruise - Hellesylt is only a technical stop for tours.

Oslo fjord is long but not as scenic. Bergen is a excellent DYI

 

if Stockholm, a city based dock location there will be a very scenic cruising through the archipelago - if Nynäshamn dock (Stockholm) no scenic cruising.

Tallinn is also a nice old city for DIY.

Bornholm (Rønne) is also s nice location - very small island so plan well in advance (distance to sights) - Rønne as city is not as exiting.

Also some not so interesting ports.

You aren’t commenting on the Atlas Ocean itinerary that I posted. This might be the Regent Seven Seas fjord and Baltic itinerary posted by Wendy the Wanderer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, gnome12 said:

You aren’t commenting on the Atlas Ocean itinerary that I posted. This might be the Regent Seven Seas fjord and Baltic itinerary posted by Wendy the Wanderer. 

Sorry - you’re correct - wrong quote.  Also a very interesting itinerary with four scenic fjord cruising including Trollfjord - and midnight sun in North Cape (Honningsvåg) and Tromsø in summer

I meant to comment on this

11 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

It's on Regent Seven Seas Splendor, 18 nights, Copenhagen to Stockholm: https://www.rssc.com/cruises/SPL220708A/summary#tabs

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very interesting thread seeing everyone's plans for Norway.  We just booked Azamara Quest July 25/22 today.  It sails from Dublin to Amsterdam, taking in one port in Scotland and 8 in Norway.  Should have booked last week when I was looking at it.  Price went up today.  He who hesitates................

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/6/2021 at 11:13 PM, TeaBag said:

Very interesting thread seeing everyone's plans for Norway.  We just booked Azamara Quest July 25/22 today.  It sails from Dublin to Amsterdam, taking in one port in Scotland and 8 in Norway.  Should have booked last week when I was looking at it.  Price went up today.  He who hesitates................

That looks like a wonderful itinerary--we almost booked an Azamara fjords trip several years back.  This one has a lot going for it. We've only done one Azamara trip, but we loved it.  I note that the Club Continent Suites are sold out, and the mid-ship Verandas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

We are disappointed that it is not sailing to Geiranger as we really want to see that little place.  I think we will rent a car and hope we make it back to the ship in time!

Edited by TeaBag
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...