Jump to content

Two Way Aust/NZ Travel Bubble to commence 19th April, 2021


Recommended Posts

Here they are elected for a 6 year term, with half retiring at each election. This particular Senator was appointed to replace another mid-term, but I am guessing may have been subsequently re-elected just based on the time now served. There is a gentlepersons agreement that a replacement is appointed by the party of the retiring senator, even when the retirement is basically in disgrace.

In the lower house (House of Reps) a by-election is held when there is a retirement, no matter the reason & they serve just 3 years in that house.

In NZ there is no upper house so the elected government govern in their own right, be that good or bad for the country.

Back to travel bubble lest I am in trouble for off-topic 🙂

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Here they are elected for a 6 year term, with half retiring at each election. This particular Senator was appointed to replace another mid-term, but I am guessing may have been subsequently re-elected just based on the time now served. There is a gentlepersons agreement that a replacement is appointed by the party of the retiring senator, even when the retirement is basically in disgrace.

In the lower house (House of Reps) a by-election is held when there is a retirement, no matter the reason & they serve just 3 years in that house.

In NZ there is no upper house so the elected government govern in their own right, be that good or bad for the country.

Back to travel bubble lest I am in trouble for off-topic 🙂

 

Queensland has no Upper House.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

They'll run into serious problems if they try to come back to Australia, and presumably NZ as well. But them leaving really isn't a problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Thecat123 said:

And who about this fella getting out of Perth with the lock down over to NZ?

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/national/man-who-flew-from-perth-to-auckland-could-face-up-to-six-months-prison-bloomfield/ar-BB1g7c47?ocid=msedgdhp

 

I bet he gets hit with a wet bus ticket as a fine

Many quarantine people are  not paying their bills either, a joke.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Thecat123 said:

And who about this fella getting out of Perth with the lock down over to NZ?

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/national/man-who-flew-from-perth-to-auckland-could-face-up-to-six-months-prison-bloomfield/ar-BB1g7c47?ocid=msedgdhp

 

I bet he gets hit with a wet bus ticket as a fine

What I want to know is how he got on the first flight to Sydney while there was a lockdown. Surely that sort of travel would be banned during a lockdown otherwise it just makes a mockery of the lockdown

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

What I want to know is how he got on the first flight to Sydney while there was a lockdown. Surely that sort of travel would be banned during a lockdown otherwise it just makes a mockery of the lockdown

 

Can we blame Australian Border Force again, a la Ruby Princess?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

What I want to know is how he got on the first flight to Sydney while there was a lockdown. Surely that sort of travel would be banned during a lockdown otherwise it just makes a mockery of the lockdown

 

That was my point

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, NSWP said:

And airline check in people perhaps? 

I don't think it should be their responsibility to monitor who is allowed to travel at any particular time. The WA state government or police should have been checking why passengers were breaking the lockdown, unless they were from outside the lockdown area and had travelled directly to the airport from their home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I don't think it should be their responsibility to monitor who is allowed to travel at any particular time. The WA state government or police should have been checking why passengers were breaking the lockdown, unless they were from outside the lockdown area and had travelled directly to the airport from their home.

I think it is at least in part the airline's responsibility.  They are the ones who have to return the passenger to country of origin if they are not eligible to enter the country,  I had a photo on my passport which had a mark across the bottom.  No-one worried about it, on either end.  However, Eva Air made me sign a waiver if I was refused entry into the U.K.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I think it is at least in part the airline's responsibility.  They are the ones who have to return the passenger to country of origin if they are not eligible to enter the country,  I had a photo on my passport which had a mark across the bottom.  No-one worried about it, on either end.  However, Eva Air made me sign a waiver if I was refused entry into the U.K.

Yes, for international flights but not for domestic flights. The person from Perth flew to Sydney before boarding the flight to NZ. That person should not have been allowed to fly to Sydney full stop. These days check-ins for flights are often done through kiosks so not easy to question whether a person should be flying at that time. And airline staff shouldn't be required to confront people, that needs to be done by either the police or airport security.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, for international flights but not for domestic flights. The person from Perth flew to Sydney before boarding the flight to NZ. That person should not have been allowed to fly to Sydney full stop. These days check-ins for flights are often done through kiosks so not easy to question whether a person should be flying at that time. And airline staff shouldn't be required to confront people, that needs to be done by either the police or airport security.

During lockdowns, shouldn't Air NZ (or other airline) be checking that passenger checking in hadn't been in Perth during period?  

It all sounded a bit of shambles.  My friend's friend was on flight from Perth to Brisbane, which was delayed 6 hours so they arrived in Brisbane in the early hours of the morning to learn rules had changed from 3 days in our home to 14 days in hotel quarantine,   She said they mixed with passengers who weren't going in to hotel quarantine during wait in Perth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the international flight, yes, they should have checked that the passenger wasn't from Perth.

 

The governments really aren't handling this sort of stuff very well.

 

With that flight delay were the passengers already checked in and waiting in the departure zone? Although with domestic travel there probably isn't any way of stopping someone leaving the airport for a few hours.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

On the international flight, yes, they should have checked that the passenger wasn't from Perth.

 

The governments really aren't handling this sort of stuff very well.

 

With that flight delay were the passengers already checked in and waiting in the departure zone? Although with domestic travel there probably isn't any way of stopping someone leaving the airport for a few hours.

I'll ask my friend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I'll ask my friend.

Seems they got advice from the airline that the flight was going to be delayed, so they checked out of the hotel late.  When they arrived at Perth Airport, they mixed with other people who weren't booked on delayed Brisbane flight.  They were told they would have to isolate at their home for three days (like those living in Perth).  Whilst they were in flight, the rules changed in Qld. to 14 days quarantine in a hotel.  They were only told after arrival in Brisbane to be met by Police and escorted to hotel quarantine.  They got to bed at 4 am.  They were told cost would be $200 pppn for hotel and food, but this was later overturned to no cost.  After testing negative, all passengers were released.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Just bad luck with the timing then. Frustrating for them but good to hear they didn't get charged for the quarantine. So did they have to do the full 14 days or were they released straight after the negative test.

 

The circuit breaker lockdowns seem to work but the timing of the start of those lockdowns means there is a possibility the virus could travel outside the lockdown area, with people deliberately heading out of the lockdown area as we heard happened in Brisbane and, of course, with flights going other states. Though I think QLD overreacted requiring people on that flight to quarantine rather than lockdown.

 

That's one reason we're preferring road trips to anywhere we have to fly to as it gives us flexibility.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Just bad luck with the timing then. Frustrating for them but good to hear they didn't get charged for the quarantine. So did they have to do the full 14 days or were they released straight after the negative test.

 

The circuit breaker lockdowns seem to work but the timing of the start of those lockdowns means there is a possibility the virus could travel outside the lockdown area, with people deliberately heading out of the lockdown area as we heard happened in Brisbane and, of course, with flights going other states. Though I think QLD overreacted requiring people on that flight to quarantine rather than lockdown.

 

That's one reason we're preferring road trips to anywhere we have to fly to as it gives us flexibility.

They were permitted to get out when Perth people finished lockdown.  But they had to test negative first.

I hope Auths learn from how they handled this case.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

They were permitted to get out when Perth people finished lockdown.  But they had to test negative first.

I hope Auths learn from how they handled this case.  

Yes, it's still too uncoordinated between the states. However better to be safe than have a  outbreak pop up somewhere else from a traveller. It's something we are just going to have to live with and bear in mind when we choose to travel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, it's still too uncoordinated between the states. However better to be safe than have a  outbreak pop up somewhere else from a traveller. It's something we are just going to have to live with and bear in mind when we choose to travel.

Yes my daughters have two interstate flights booked.  However they will think twice in the future because they can't afford the time off work.  Being put in quarantine at short notice (like overnight) causes unexpected problems to passengers.  The lady I mentioned had four children she had to arrange additional child minding for, plus floral commitments for Anzac Day.  It is not like when you expect to be quarantined, like people arriving from overseas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I note from the news today, Qld Health has said Queenslanders who have been in a covid exposure area in Australia and are returning to Qld have to go into quarantine for 14 days.  Anybody else read that? Queenslanders how do you feel about that? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holland America Line’s Alaska Exploration Sale
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...