Carnival CEO Says No Vaccination Requirement

Djptcp

Arnold Donald's interview in Bloomberg Businessweek this past week:

Will you require passengers to be vaccinated, like Norwegian Cruise Line just announced it will?
No, absolutely. We would encourage everyone to get vaccinated, but today vaccines are not accessible to everyone. In some places it is illegal to mandate. And we respect personal choice and personal liberty. So we’ll follow what the regulations are wherever it is.

This is such a shortsighted and dangerous decision. He seems to be getting his vaccination information from the Facebook medical school instead of from the CDC scientists and physicians. Words cannot express how disappointed I am with this ludicrous decision. We'll see how he changes his tune when the first Covid outbreak occurs on a Carnival ship.

My concern is whether or not Holland America, as part of the Carnival Corporation, can mandate vaccination proof on its own. We have 4 HAL cruises booked beginning Dec. 1st. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens if Carnival begins sailing this summer and there are Covid outbreaks. I wouldn't want to wish it on anyone, but it might be what it takes for the CEO to realize his dangerous mistake. Why is he blind to the other cruise lines that are making vaccination proof a requirement for sailing?

• Like 13

Have to say I’m not thrilled with that.

I get that they may not want to impose it on Carnival due to the number of children, etc but to not want it on the other ships???  The ones that go to places other than the Caribbean?  Where it will most likely be required??

Disappointing to say the least.  JMHO.

I have a feeling this still has to play out - at least I sure hope so. If you have to get a yellow vaccine fever vaccination to get to certain countries, why not his?

Absurd for HAL other members of CCL IMO.

• Like 17

Can’t believe it. We have a cruise booked March 4, 2022. We will wait till we get closer to final payment if there is no change in his vaccination decision then I guess we will cancel our cruise and call it quits with HAL

Edited by woodworker&knitter
  • Like 10

9 minutes ago, Djptcp said:

Will you require passengers to be vaccinated, like Norwegian Cruise Line just announced it will?
No, absolutely. We would encourage everyone to get vaccinated, but today vaccines are not accessible to everyone. In some places it is illegal to mandate. And we respect personal choice and personal liberty. So we’ll follow what the regulations are wherever it is.

This is such a shortsighted and dangerous decision. He seems to be getting his vaccination information from the Facebook medical school instead of from the CDC scientists and physicians. Words cannot express how disappointed I am with this ludicrous decision. We'll see how he changes his tune when the first Covid outbreak occurs on a Carnival ship.

My concern is whether or not Holland America, as part of the Carnival Corporation, can mandate vaccination proof on its own. We have 4 HAL cruises booked beginning Dec. 1st. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens if Carnival begins sailing this summer and there are Covid outbreaks. I wouldn't want to wish it on anyone, but it might be what it takes for the CEO to realize his dangerous mistake. Why is he blind to the other cruise lines that are making vaccination proof a requirement for sailing?

I totally agree with you.   We have two cruises booked in 2022, but we probably will cancel if they aren’t requiring vaccines.

• Like 3

Wow, we have 5 cruises booked with HAL at the moment, if there is no reversal of policies we are going to cancel our 3 cruises for 2021.  As it stands I have a hard time accepting  this decision.   We just heard tonight of 3 friends that just tested positive for Covid including their children ages from 6 to 17.   We are not going to take any chances, not worth it....

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Is he speaking for Carnival Corp or for Carnival Cruise Lines.

That was my question, too. I thought he was head of the cruise line. Isn't Arison head of the corporation? 
Are some people jumping to the wrong conclusion? 

• Like 1

Arnold Donald will imo   change his mind because  the threat of major cancellations . Certainly he should not want another Diamond Princess  condition 

We reserve our decision to take or cancel our HAL cruise & Princess cruise in 2022  based on what  corporate decisions are made about  every one being vaccinated on any of their ships  . There is no way we could vision the CDC allowing any CCL corp ships sailing  from any USA port with out all  those aboard being vaccinated except perhaps young children 

4 minutes ago, RuthC said:

That was my question, too. I thought he was head of the cruise line. Isn't Arison head of the corporation? 
Are some people jumping to the wrong conclusion? 

When a CEO speaks he speaks for the entire corporation   .For us & many others what he just saud is a turn off to cruising .  Ships are the worse place for a spread of  the covid virus  .He must take into consideration all those who booked future cruises . 

We will see wait  to see the new protocols  issued by each CCL cruise line  .Then we will make final decisions , before final payment dues dates 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

When a CEO speaks he speaks for the entire corporation 

Even if he's not the CEO of the corporation? 
Or, are you saying Arnold Donald is CEO of Carnival Corp., and not Carnival Cruise Line? 

54 minutes ago, Djptcp said:

Can you post a link on this? I’d like to see the whole Interview and can’t seem to find it.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Djptcp said:

You should post the link to this  Business Week  statement 

I do not understand his thinking.  What is going to happen when a ship goes in to port and the Port Authority says......   Is everyone on your ship vaccinated including passengers and crew?  If not your ship cannot dock here.

We are on 2 cruises in 2022 and I can very easily see that happening.  I believe Iceland has already said that everyone has to be vaccinated.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, mightycruisequeen said:

Can't read this article unfortunately. 

If they are seriously thinking about not requiring the vaccine, they are crazy.  Maybe we need to start a petition or mass emailing HAL about this.  I do hope that HAL can choose to do this on their own.

Linda R.

• Like 1

With all due respect to Mr. Donald, what he says is completely meaningless because his ships have not been granted permission to sail in/out of US Ports nor do they have docking permission anywhere!  Rhetoric is cheap, but if the CDC ultimately insists on a combination of both vaccinations and testing I suspect Mr. Arnold will readily accept whatever he must to get operations underway.  And it will be the same with Governor DeSantis who will need to go along with the CDC dictates.  I have a lot of issues with the CDC, but at the moment they hold all the cards in terms of cruising that involves US Ports.  While we can simply fly off to areas outside of the CDC control, many cruisers (especially those without Passports) are at the complete mercy of the CDC.

Hank

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, S&B said:

I do not understand his thinking.  What is going to happen when a ship goes in to port and the Port Authority says......   Is everyone on your ship vaccinated including passengers and crew?  If not your ship cannot dock here.

We are on 2 cruises in 2022 and I can very easily see that happening.  I believe Iceland has already said that everyone has to be vaccinated.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

I think the CEO is making a big mistake!!!  I agree with S&B's thoughts about ports denying port entry if guests and staff are not vaccinated.  Also if one unvaccinated guest comes down with Covid 19 that probably would end the cruise for all passengers.  That doesn't mean that vaccinated passengers couldn't come down with Covid 19 but vaccinations reduce that chance.  I also think the chance for doing private tours or doing ports on your own is to prove to port authorities that the full ship is vaccinated.  We are very disappointed that this may cause us to have our 6th cruise canceled in 2020 thur 2021.  😟

• Like 4