Antigua, Bahamas, and Greece to be put on State Department

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, sierrafloridacruiser said:

dangerous to take the vaccine, on top of acquired immunity? 

.You could make the case either way I suppose. I'll wait.

Edited by suzeluvscruz
33 minutes ago, suzeluvscruz said:

.You could make the case either way I suppose. I'll wait.

Most of my friends and acquaintances who have been vaccinated had few side effects, but the ones who have had the most are those who already had the virus. Anecdotal, I know. And thankfully, nothing serious for anyone. 

i do think it makes zero sense for prior infection with resulting antibodies not to “count” as immunity for the purpose of cruising. It would make an interesting legal challenge as well. 

From the FWIW Dept.

Do a bit of online research and calculate the risk/likelihood of running in to someone infected at the current rate of ~700 cases in a total population of about 400,000 is out of  hand.  The count on New Providence island (Nassau) is closer to 550-600 of a total population of around 325,000.  

Perspective is everything!

2 hours ago, bitob said:

It is amazing that every place the cruises are trying to use to "restart" cruising is at Level 4.

It's almost as if they want to put the cruise lines out of business forever.

I think this will have a big impact on bookings -- if I, who wanted to go ANYWHERE, am thinking of cancelling, anyone on the fence is there too.  Those of us who are older and more at risk have to think twice.

A 21 day cruise to nowhere would have been ideal.  Surely the US Gov cannot put the ocean at Level 4

The CDC is on some serious medication. The airlines told the CDC and Public Health Officials to go pound sand. They are not going to empty the middle seats on aircraft. Airlines are completely ignoring these new (Ridiculous) warnings. My question is are you going to stop going to the grocery store or restaurants. It's time to get everything started up again. I have my vaccinations. Let's go Cruising!

While the Vaccines appear to be effective in addressing the Covid 19 Virus.   From the conversation so far there is still a large question about how effective a vaccine is to get this country out of its mindset of fear.

This corresponds with my position from the beginning that vaccines are not the answer to what intimidates us.  Even at 95% effective there are still 5% who are susceptible.  5% of 350 million is 17.5 million even if everyone was vaccinated.  Variants put even that number into question.  The glass half empty people will say that the risk is too great will say look at the absolute numbers and the glass half full people will say look at the statistics 95% are safe.

The only real solution is the development of effective therapeutics.  Feel ill, get tested for Covid 19, get diagnosed with the disease,  get prescribed an oral or nasal therapeutic,  and get over it and not die. 

When people lose the fear of dying because they contract the disease then they can learn to live with the disease.  Island nations like New Zealand, Australia and Japan have tried to make it go away but even under their tight restrictions on travel and testing and tracing the Virus keeps rearing its ugly head.  The Virus is here and in not going away, the best we will ever be able to do is to learn to live with it. 

5 hours ago, suzeluvscruz said:

Interesting that natural,(or acquired) immunity is discounted. New study on victims of SARS shows that the natural immunity is still in effect after 17 years. It's the same virus (SARS COV-2) and should qualify as well as "vaccinated". 

We are SARS survivors, so interested in the source for your statement.  Please and thank you.

31 minutes ago, crickette said:

We are SARS survivors, so interested in the source for your statement.  Please and thank you.

It was a study done out of Singapore...I'll have to look for it and will share when I find it. Or you can google SARS immunity for 17 years.

My husband and I have a slightly different approach to this topic.  We have stayed home, avoided crowds, worn our masks, and used hand sanitizers.  We are fully vaccinated and will begin to do in life what we love—cruising is one of our immense pleasures.  We are 74 and 88 years old.  Having taken all of the precautions advised, we want to spend whatever time we have left—LIVING.  Life is a risk.  We plan to do our best to stay safe while enjoying the pleasures we have been given.

51 minutes ago, MomC said:

My husband and I have a slightly different approach to this topic.  We have stayed home, avoided crowds, worn our masks, and used hand sanitizers.  We are fully vaccinated and will begin to do in life what we love—cruising is one of our immense pleasures.  We are 74 and 88 years old.  Having taken all of the precautions advised, we want to spend whatever time we have left—LIVING.  Life is a risk.  We plan to do our best to stay safe while enjoying the pleasures we have been given.

you are encouraging me to keep my reservation

8 minutes ago, bitob said:

you are encouraging me to keep my reservation

We have a somewhat opposite approach than @MomC

We have NOT stayed home as we believe that regular small exposures to various 'germs' encourages the body's own immune system to develop antibodies against any interloper it encounters - this was evidenced by learning we had the covid antibodies when we went to donate blood and later donated Convalescent Plasma to help hospitalized seriousy ill patients.  

We don't puropsely put ourselves into crowds but don't necessarily avoid them, either - we've stayed at 6 different All-Inclusive resorts in Mexico & Dominican Republic over the last 7 months with no ill effects. We wear our masks only where absolutely mandated (eg: on a plane) but we DO wassh our hands more frequently than pre-Covid and use hand sanitizers when washing is not possible.  We are fully vaccinated with Pfizer and will hopefully get back to doing  what we love—cruising!  We are 66 and 67 years old.  And yes, we, too,  want to spend whatever time we have left—LIVING.  A famous person once said in response to this situation we call LIFE: "Get busy living or get busy dying!"

9 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

We have a somewhat opposite approach than @MomC

We have NOT stayed home as we believe that regular small exposures to various 'germs' encourages the body's own immune system to develop antibodies against any interloper it encounters - this was evidenced by learning we had the covid antibodies when we went to donate blood and later donated Convalescent Plasma to help hospitalized seriousy ill patients.  

We don't puropsely put ourselves into crowds but don't necessarily avoid them, either - we've stayed at 6 different All-Inclusive resorts in Mexico & Dominican Republic over the last 7 months with no ill effects. We wear our masks only where absolutely mandated (eg: on a plane) but we DO wassh our hands more frequently than pre-Covid and use hand sanitizers when washing is not possible.  We are fully vaccinated with Pfizer and will hopefully get back to doing  what we love—cruising!  We are 66 and 67 years old.  And yes, we, too,  want to spend whatever time we have left—LIVING.  A famous person once said in response to this situation we call LIFE: "Get busy living or get busy dying!"

I think we had a similar approach - we are a tiny bit younger and have no risk factors for COVID. We didn’t do any international traveling and we couldn’t do a lot of the things we normally do, but we didn’t stay home. When restaurants reopened last May, I think we went out to dinner every night for a couple of weeks!  We’ve also always been mindful of not wanting to expose more vulnerable friends/family and respectful of (and helpful to) those who choose to be isolated. We did a few quarantines based on having direct exposures to positive cases. I donated blood in January, hoping maybe I had the antibodies, but nope.

We are now fully vaccinated and so are most of our family, friends and acquaintances, of all ages.  The ones who are not, have had ample opportunity but have chosen not to get the vaccine at this time.  Things have returned mostly to normal socially, which was something I missed a lot!  

I hope international travel can get back to something more normal and was thrilled and grateful to book the Iceland cruise on the Endeavor, but with this latest by the CDC, I’m a little taken aback. I would never have imagined a year ago, given the miraculous timeline and efficacy of these vaccines, that our government would now be dragging down entire industries. 

I just made my deposit payment for our October cruise. This decision by the CDC actually ENCOURAGED me to keep my reservation. I am very happy to support the cruise industry right now and as long as flights aren't cancelled, I will be on the ship in October.  The warning from the CDC is absolutely ridiculous.  Vaccines are effective and bring the chance of severe illness down to ALMOST 0. If that is still too much of a risk for someone, they can absolutely choose to stay home and not travel. The CDC now uses the "variant" excuse to dissuade even vaccinated people from traveling.  The truth is, our vaccines are effective even against these variants. It is time to end this nonsense and let people get back to LIVING. The last year has been terrible. We are now at the stage where anyone who wants a vaccine can get one. This must be the end and life needs to return to normal. 

1 minute ago, Fredric22 said:

We are now at the stage where anyone who wants a vaccine can get one. 

In the US, perhaps, but sadly, not in most of the rest of the world. Up here in Canada supply is still an issue, though getting better, and the same is also true in the EU. Even the US is still only at about 50% vaccinated, and the "rule of thumb" being bandied about is 75 - 80% for herd immunity, so you are not out of the woods yet!

1 minute ago, Roland4 said:

In the US, perhaps, but sadly, not in most of the rest of the world. Up here in Canada supply is still an issue, though getting better, and the same is also true in the EU. Even the US is still only at about 50% vaccinated, and the "rule of thumb" being bandied about is 75 - 80% for herd immunity, so you are not out of the woods yet!

There is no "rule of thumb."  Herd immunity will be reached with or without vaccines. In the US, people who have been vaccinated PLUS those who have been infected are already bring the US quite close to herd immunity (roughly 75M people infected plus 132M people have already received at least 1 dose). That is approximately 207M out of 330M which is around 60% of the population.  Regardless, the ship will have 100% of passengers vaccinated. In essence, the ship will have 100% herd immunity. This is as good as it can possibly get and much better than you would find anywhere else on land. If you don't feel that even with the vaccine that you are "out of the woods" that is completely fine.  You should absolutely do whatever it is that you feel comfortable with. 

11 hours ago, bitob said:

I am considering cancelling.  I just do not know.  I am on the July 10/17 voyages.  I have a little time.  Not worth the risk for place I really have no interest in going to

Better not go up to Pinal county....they ended their mask mandate.  Too risky??

I thought about the concerns expressed here for awhile yesterday.

Interestingly enough if not for the fact that the CDC issued several level 4's for 80% of the countries world-wide nothing has changed much before or since then.

Anyone who is booked on either Serenity or Symphony or is thinking of booking knows the risks of COVID-19.   Don't you?  Does the alert mean your risk has changed?  I think not.

The alerts recognize that COVID-19 is out there including the variants and when you travel you are increasing risk.  For months the head of the CDC and others have been raising these issues and have recommended not to travel.  This alert formalizes these concerns.

In the end, if you are not careful whether traveling or in your own backyard (by that I mean the town/city) you reside you run risks.  So in the end each person needs to evaluate this for themselves.

There is simple risk.  If you are not careful before you leave for the cruise, and while you are traveling to the port city and during your pre-cruise stay you could get COVID-19 and be denied boarding.  So for those who plan to travel be careful.  Consider quarantining before you travel, think through face masks/face shields for the flight and your pre-cruise stay.   And be aware that when the trip comes to a close there is a chance you could have COVID-19 and know the implications.  Certainly there is greater risk than if you stayed home.

I am not trying to say not to go or to go that is up to each person.  What I am saying is that for those who have booked cruises the risk is the same today as it was this past weekend before you heard of the alerts.

Keith

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

What I am saying is that for those who have booked cruises the risk is the same today as it was this past weekend before you heard of the alerts.

So the CDC's advice counts for nothing? Or at least this particular advice which was only given yesterday - so it's a new piece of information for those considering traveling

Interesting if one chooses to take some of their advice as gospel yet effectively ignores other parts of their advice which is:

Level 4: COVID-19 Very High

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/the-bahamas

That advice seems pretty clear to me

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

So the CDC's advice counts for nothing? Or at least this particular advice which was only given yesterday - so it's a new piece of information for those considering traveling

Interesting if one chooses to take some of their advice as gospel yet effectively ignores other parts of their advice which is:

Never said that.

My point is some of the comments that I read on this and a few other threads related to concerns about getting COVID-19 on this and the other voyages existed before the CDC raised several countries to level 4.   Same goes true for other recommendations such as when to wear a mask.  This also included verbiage about international travel where they would say if you have to do international travel get vaccinated and other things such as wear a mask.  

It's all been very clear and the risks which exist today existed last week and this is why things like requiring COVID-19 tests to return to the USA, to board the ship and for that matter in the Bahama's I believe every five days are in place.  The CDC has been warning about all of this for awhile but to emphasize the warning have put 80% of the countries on some type of Level to highlight the risks which they have been warning about for awhile.  

Keith

2 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

That advice is for almost every country in the world. So actually the advice is avoid travel at all.

Ivi

Posted (edited)
On 4/20/2021 at 4:53 AM, Keith1010 said:

This is the current travel advisory listing from the CDC by alert category.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/map-and-travel-notices.html

Keith

I have a hard time taking seriously any entity that puts most of the world at level 4 but puts China at level 1.

Edited by suzeluvscruz