Antigua, Bahamas, and Greece to be put on State Department

3 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Never said that.

My point is some of the comments that I read on this and a few other threads related to concerns about getting COVID-19 on this and the other voyages existed before the CDC raised several countries to level 4.   Same goes true for other recommendations such as when to wear a mask.  This also included verbiage about international travel where they would say if you have to do international travel get vaccinated and other things such as wear a mask.  

It's all been very clear and the risks which exist today existed last week and this is why things like requiring COVID-19 tests to return to the USA, to board the ship and for that matter in the Bahama's I believe every five days are in place.  The CDC has been warning about all of this for awhile but to emphasize the warning have put 80% of the countries on some type of Level to highlight the risks which they have been warning about for awhile.  

Keith

It’s more than “several countries”, it is 80% of the world. And that 80% is not “some type of level”. It the highest level. 

We are probably at an inflection point, as far as vaccine demand. All the data points to it. To chose to emphasize these warnings now is going to be very counter productive. 

35 minutes ago, suzeluvscruz said:

I have a hard time taking seriously any entity that puts most of the world at level 4 but puts China at level 1.

It is based on science not what we think of China.

6 minutes ago, sierrafloridacruiser said:

It’s more than “several countries”, it is 80% of the world. And that 80% is not “some type of level”. It the highest level. 

We are probably at an inflection point, as far as vaccine demand. All the data points to it. To chose to emphasize these warnings now is going to be very counter productive. 

My post which you quoted says 80%.

Keith

Just now, suzeluvscruz said:

Hard to believe that real science is involved in China's statistics.

Statistics in our own country are far from perfect as we have many people who do not report when they have Covid-19 nor even know.  Actually places like China, Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea have done very well as have Australia and New Zealand.  

Keith

11 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Better not go up to Pinal county....they ended their mask mandate.  Too risky??

We don't -- very dangerous I agree

We are extremely cautious.  We do not eat in restaurants or shop.

Doctor, dentist, vet, food shopping -- that's it.  Only necessary venturing outside.

Arizona's governor would like us all to die!

Thankfully Tucson's mayor stands up to him and we have mask mandates here.

29 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Statistics in our own country are far from perfect as we have many people who do not report when they have Covid-19 nor even know.  Actually places like China, Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea have done very well as have Australia and New Zealand.  

Keith

China Level 1

Antarctica Level 4

The science?

7 minutes ago, suzeluvscruz said:

China Level 1

Antarctica Level 4

The science?

The CDC has not issued a Level for Antarctica related to COVID-19.  This is noted on the CDC report and the state government site.  State government has given it a Level 4 and mentions COVID but quickly notes CDC didn't give it  a level 4 and that state government warns about environmental hazards posed by unpredictable weather.

COVID or not it is not a good time to be in Antarctica right now.  Very cold is an understatement.

Keith

I’ve also taken a day to digest what has been posted here.

As others have said, the vaccine should prevent you from hospitalization and serious illness.  It does NOT prevent you from contracting COVID.  A young adult I know, a social worker, has been fully vaccinated for months.  She was going to visit her grandparents in Florida, and decided to get a COVID test before getting on the plane.  She tested positive.  I am reluctant to take this chance myself.  I am vaccinated, but I live in an urban locale and stay masked 100% of the time when I’m outside my apartment.  And so do 95% of those I see.  

My TA WAS going to book me on one of the Antigua cruises today.  I’ve been quite reluctant because of my fear of testing positive either here, or in Antigua.  Vacationing and travel always have some level of stress involved....but this is just too much.   And I’m guessing not many here will be mask-wearing on board.  No thank you.  Not that desperate to cruise.  I know I sound judgy, but I really hope the trips works out for those that are going.  

Edited to add: My TA HAS reserved a stateroom on the Symphony yesterday, in case we change our mind.  We have a week to decide 🤷‍♀️.  Based on the above, I think we’ve decided.

Crystal owes me a ton of money which they’ve had since 2018. I’d  unfortunately made the mistake of rolling that amount over to another cancelled cruise.  But had hoped to use it for one of the Caribbean cruises this year.  I’ve been waiting over a year for my port fees and taxes which still haven’t been refunded from my 2020 cruise.  But that’s a whole other can of worms.

Debbie

15 hours ago, Fredric22 said:

Regardless, the ship will have 100% of passengers vaccinated. In essence, the ship will have 100% herd immunity. This is as good as it can possibly get and much better than you would find anywhere else on land. 

Agreed, and as long as no one gets off the ship in any port, that will be true. According to our local Medical Officer of Health, the variants can be spread from close contact of as little as ten minutes, even with both parties wearing masks. It would be wishful thinking to believe there will not be close contacts between passengers and residents when ashore, so the danger of someone bringing it back onboard is real. Vaccination gives you protection, but it is still possible to be infected, and while you apparently will not get seriously sick, you can still spread the disease to others you have contact with.

Don't get me wrong, I truly hope that Crystal's sailings, as well as those of the other lines, go off safely so as to "prove" the industry can operate safely. My concern is people will assume the vaccines are a "magic bullet" when medical science says they are not. All it will take will be one serious outbreak onboard any of these ships and the cruise industry will end up right back behind the 8 Ball again! 

I am going to go and have lost all faith in the CDC.  i prefer to live and enjoy all that life has to offer rather then tremble in fear when I venture outside.  Everyone I know is vaccinated and I have been dining indoors from when they opened it at 25% without being vaccinated at that point.  I am currently touring a state with no mask mandate that has a positivity rate lower than my state which has a mask mandate.  

The cruise industry is still struggling while all the hotels/resorts I have been staying in are at 90-100%.  I want to support the cruise industry by cruising.  

2 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Agreed, and as long as no one gets off the ship in any port, that will be true. According to our local Medical Officer of Health, the variants can be spread from close contact of as little as ten minutes, even with both parties wearing masks. It would be wishful thinking to believe there will not be close contacts between passengers and residents when ashore, so the danger of someone bringing it back onboard is real. Vaccination gives you protection, but it is still possible to be infected, and while you apparently will not get seriously sick, you can still spread the disease to others you have contact with.

Don't get me wrong, I truly hope that Crystal's sailings, as well as those of the other lines, go off safely so as to "prove" the industry can operate safely. My concern is people will assume the vaccines are a "magic bullet" when medical science says they are not. All it will take will be one serious outbreak onboard any of these ships and the cruise industry will end up right back behind the 8 Ball again! 

In my opinion, the vaccines are the magic bullet. Period. If you don't believe they are, that is your choice. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, lesliehr said:

I’ve also taken a day to digest what has been posted here.

As others have said, the vaccine should prevent you from hospitalization and serious illness.  It does NOT prevent you from contracting COVID.  A young adult I know, a social worker, has been fully vaccinated for months.  She was going to visit her grandparents in Florida, and decided to get a COVID test before getting on the plane.  She tested positive.  I am reluctant to take this chance myself.  I am vaccinated, but I live in an urban locale and stay masked 100% of the time when I’m outside my apartment.  And so do 95% of those I see.  

My TA WAS going to book me on one of the Antigua cruises today.  I’ve been quite reluctant because of my fear of testing positive either here, or in Antigua.  Vacationing and travel always have some level of stress involved....but this is just too much.   And I’m guessing not many here will be mask-wearing on board.  No thank you.  Not that desperate to cruise.  I know I sound judgy, but I really hope the trips works out for those that are going.  

Edited to add: My TA HAS reserved a stateroom on the Symphony yesterday, in case we change our mind.  We have a week to decide 🤷‍♀️.  Based on the above, I think we’ve decided.

Crystal owes me a ton of money which they’ve had since 2018. I’d  unfortunately made the mistake of rolling that amount over to another cancelled cruise.  But had hoped to use it for one of the Caribbean cruises this year.  I’ve been waiting over a year for my port fees and taxes which still haven’t been refunded from my 2020 cruise.  But that’s a whole other can of worms.

Debbie

I suggest you read Crystal’s Covid protocols available on its website. There it is information about mask wearing. 

Edited by TER777
19 hours ago, Fredric22 said:

Regardless, the ship will have 100% of passengers vaccinated

Whilst that’s correct for passengers it’s not correct for Crew - crystals intent is that all crew will eventually be vaccinated but initially that’s not guaranteed. All crew will however be tested regularly - that’s what the policy actually states

So I assume unvaccinated crew  will not be allowed ashore - otherwise they’re at risk of catching Covid and bringing it onto the ship 

2 hours ago, Fredric22 said:

In my opinion, the vaccines are the magic bullet. Period. If you don't believe they are, that is your choice. 

Oh, I LOVE choices!  Let’s see, I can believe what you personally believe without any backup, OR I can believe what the vaccine manufacturers THEMSELVES state from their own scientific trials...  Or is the conspiracy that the manufacturers are deliberately overstating the reduced efficacy against the newer variants, so they can [...I can’t even imagine a reason that would complete this preposterous question]?

The vaccines COULD have been something closer to a magic bullet if people had embraced them and not fought them, but that ship has long since sailed now.

Vince

I wish the vaccines are magic but we just do know.

What we do know is if you had the vaccine you could still get COVID-19.

What is unclear is if you were vaccinated and got COVID-19 could you spread it to others.

Given all of this IMHO I  do not see the crew going ashore.

As Jack Anderson said Crystal will error on the side of being as cautious as possible.  I applaud this and hope everyone else does.

As to the guests, I do think you have to be careful pre cruise, while on the ship and post cruise.

Then again I would say this right now on land even if you are vaccinated.

Oh I wish the vaccines were magic and I think all that Vince said is correct.

I do think the key is for everyone to get the vaccine and it is sad that some say they won't bet it.  I should rephrase this to say too many people say they wil not get it.  That is a big problem.

Same goes for those who won't wear a mask or wear it but incorrectly showing off their nostrils.  This does not good.  

In the end the COVID-19 has made lots of twists and turns and has surprised even the experts.  Who knows what things will be like In July.  The best we can do is follow the guidance of the scientists who like us are not perfect.  They are dong their best and I will take their word and recommendations over anyone else.  

Keith

14 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

The best we can do is follow the guidance of the scientists who like us are not perfect.  They are dong their best and I will take their word and recommendations over anyone else.  

So are the CDC scientists?

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

They are...  Much like NIH they also have a spectrum of scientific departments.   Their missions are different, but in cases of epidemics they often overlap and coordinate.  NIH and its departments deal with those pathogens and their treatments, therapies and pathology, while the CDC is responsible for the public health, safety and control aspect.

Vince

5 hours ago, Fredric22 said:

And if only wishing would make it so.....

The fact is being vaccinated does not protect you from getting re-infected and spreading it to others. That is not me speaking, it is the CDC, the WHO and the manufacturers of the various vaccines. My concern is that enough people with your "pollyanna" outlook will cause a major outbreak on a ship, or ships, and set the entire industry back months! 

1 hour ago, Roland4 said:

And if only wishing would make it so.....

The fact is being vaccinated does not protect you from getting re-infected and spreading it to others. That is not me speaking, it is the CDC, the WHO and the manufacturers of the various vaccines. My concern is that enough people with your "pollyanna" outlook will cause a major outbreak on a ship, or ships, and set the entire industry back months! 

I think perhaps we have different definitions of a "magic bullet." A vaccine which brings your chances of death and hospitalization to near 0 while also significantly decreasing transmission (all of this has already been proven) is in my mind a magic bullet.  There is no such thing as a 100% effective vaccine. But luckily, the scientific community has done an amazing job getting us as close as possible. And therefore, that is it.  That is all we can do. We can take the vaccine and we can bring the risk down to a level that is so low it falls in line with all of the other risks we take every single day.  I don't understand how anyone's "outlook" will cause a "major outbreak" of anything except perhaps some rational thought. I won't be setting up a kissing both on the Crystal Serenity, if that is what you are concerned about. I will be going on the ship fully vaccinated. I trust the science and I know that by being vaccinated I have done my part to stop the spread of COVID-19 to the best of my ability. 

6 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Absolutely and unlike some on this board who have put them down, you do not see me saying anything negative about them.  We have been following their guidance since be got home from Australia last March. 

Keith

24 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Absolutely .....  We have been following their guidance since be got home from Australia last March.

That's what is confusing me about your post yesterday saying nothings changed with regard to the risk associated with the Bahamas  - the CDC have issued clear direction on avoiding travel to the Bahamas

Level 4: COVID-19 Very High

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/the-bahamas

So why would you or anyone who believes in the CDC advice even consider the Crystal voyages to the Bahamas as an appropriate thing to do given their advice?

16 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

That's what is confusing me about your post yesterday saying nothings changed with regard to the risk associated with the Bahamas  - the CDC have issued clear direction on avoiding travel to the Bahamas

Level 4: COVID-19 Very High

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/the-bahamas

So why would you or anyone who believes in the CDC advice even consider the Crystal voyages to the Bahamas as an appropriate thing to do given their advice?

What I said, at  least I thought I said, is nothing changed about the risk.  The risk was there the day before they moved all those countries onto level 4.  It is not like one day no risk and we wake up and in a matter of hours they went from no risk to a risk.  They just formalized this.  They have been warning about international travel and all the variants for the past several weeks and what they did the other day was formalize this by putting lots of countries on to Level 4 and other levels.   The CDC Director has been communicating that we are in a very bad situation in the USA for weeks with respect to the variances and that people have to remain vigilant.  Like many things people will make their own choices unless this turns into not only a warning but a no travel requirement by country.

Keith

Keith