Jump to content

Antigua, Bahamas, and Greece to be put on State Department


Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

If you cruise to Antarctica, do you interact with any humans living there?

I went there with Ponant for close to 14 days. Only one lady in a gift shop. You are more likely to get bitten by an angry seal than catch Covid. We did have our own guides from Ponant that were on the ship with us. Level 4.....LOL!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Level 4.....LOL!

 

"Trust the science" actually means "Trust the politicized bureaucrats".

 

Maybe this is just an insider plot to completely destroy the credibility of the CDC and the State Dept.  (Not that it needed much to accomplish that!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

If you cruise to Antarctica, do you interact with any humans living there?

Yes, actually. We did an expedition cruise with Abercrombie & Kent several years ago and spent most of an afternoon at Palmer Station! They make the BEST butter tarts!!!🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Roland4 said:

Yes, actually. We did an expedition cruise with Abercrombie & Kent several years ago and spent most of an afternoon at Palmer Station! They make the BEST brownies!!!🙂

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SusieQft said:

If you cruise to Antarctica, do you interact with any humans living there?


Research Teams from many countries are stationed in Antarctica. They rotate in and out. Chilean Team members brought Covid-19 to Antarctica in December 2020. As a result, Antarctica closed to expedition cruises.

 

Years ago, the small expedition ship visited Brazil’s research station. Another day we met the two members of a film crew and saw small reindeer that inhabit the peninsula. The expedition leader was always asked for onions — the most-sought item.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Moist from the seal fat? 😉

Not when were there, unless you count the enormous Elephant Seal that no one dared get close too!!. Not only were there no seals, but the previously resident colony of 5,000 Gentoo Penguins had moved elsewhere. They now get so much rain, due to global warming, that the penguin chicks were drowning in their eggs before they even hatched! That was what we were told by the scientists at Palmer Station.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/21/2021 at 2:01 PM, Stickman1990 said:


Whilst that’s correct for passengers it’s not correct for Crew - crystals intent is that all crew will eventually be vaccinated but initially that’s not guaranteed. All crew will however be tested regularly - that’s what the policy actually states
 

So I assume unvaccinated crew  will not be allowed ashore - otherwise they’re at risk of catching Covid and bringing it onto the ship 

 

Why is Crystal requiring all pax to be vaccinated to board when they restart cruising, but not the crew who lean in the faces of pax, talking and laughing and vigorously expeling air when they serve pax food?  Is Crystal saving money on vaccines?  This makes no sense.

 

Most hospital systems in the U.S, require employees show they are negative for TB and have an annual flu shot.  If employees  refuse, too bad so sad, they can go look for another line of work, as the hospital has an obligation to do their best to minimize risk to patients. So why cannot cruise lines mandate the same? For the rare person who has medical contraindications to a vaccine, other accomodations can  be made, if no alternative employee can be found for their special job function.

 

I certainly would not put a frail relative into a nursing home that employs unvaccinated workers.  With all the time that has passed, cruise lines should also be expected to vaccinate their workers.  Masks are not enough.

 

 

Edited by Catlover54
Clarity
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

Why is Crystal requiring all pax to be vaccinated to board when they restart cruising, but not the crew who lean in the faces of pax, talking and laughing and vigorously expeling air when they serve pax food?  Is Crystal saving money on vaccines?  This makes no sense.

 

Most hospital systems in the U.S, require employees show they are negative for TB and have an annual flu shot.  If employees  refuse, too bad so sad, they can go look for another line of work, as the hospital has an obligation to do their best to minimize risk to patients. So why cannot cruise lines mandate the same? For the rare person who has medical contraindications to a vaccine, other accomodations can  be made, if no alternative employee can be found for their special job function.

 

I certainly would not put a frail relative into a nursing home that employs unvaccinated workers.  With all the time that has passed, cruise lines should also be expected to vaccinate their workers.  Masks are not enough.

 

 

 


Crystal has committed to crew vaccinations, but at the time the policy was written the logistics of how that was going to work exactly were in flux.  Most of the crew members will be vaccinated in advance, but how it works out for the crew that Crystal has to vaccinate, if that’s what it comes down to, will depend on which vaccine and whether it’s Vanter or another health vendor that does it.  
 

Some crew will likely have a period of partial vaccination or inoculation onboard, and that’s what the policy seems written to cover.  

 

Vince

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BWIVince said:


Crystal has committed to crew vaccinations, but at the time the policy was written the logistics of how that was going to work exactly were in flux.  Most of the crew members will be vaccinated in advance, but how it works out for the crew that Crystal has to vaccinate, if that’s what it comes down to, will depend on which vaccine and whether it’s Vanter or another health vendor that does it.  
 

Some crew will likely have a period of partial vaccination or inoculation onboard, and that’s what the policy seems written to cover. 

 

What is your source for this information and the supposed status of the vaccination rate of crew which you describe as "most will be vaccinated in advance"?

 

I have not seen anything like that level of information from Crystal

 

Their Crystal announcement I saw said that staff would be tested regularly and would be vaccinated "when that was possible" - that will very much depend on the availability in their countries of residence which will be subject to whatever rules those countries have on availability for categories of their population (as an example an Australian based crew member could not get a vaccination unless they were over 70 or an emergency/health worker or had some specific health conditions - being crew on a cruise ship would not qualify them), and imagine getting access to vaccines in countries such as India or the Philippines or if Crystal can source vaccine for crew coming on board (is that possible yet?)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Crystal has posted their vaccination policy on the Crystal Cruises website.  Vince saying that the majority of crew will be vaccinated makes sense as it is consistent with the Crystal Cruises communication found on their web site under Vaccination Policy and under the Crystal Clear Protocols.

 

It leave the door open for exceptions but it also notes the expectations for Crew Vaccinations.

 

Keith

 

From the Crystal Website.

 

"We expect all crew to be vaccinated; however, we understand that as it stands today this may not be a viable option for all crew members given their age and/or the availability of vaccines in their home countries. As part of the company’s Crystal Clean+ measures, crew members are required to be tested for COVID-19 prior to leaving their home location to join the ship and must receive a negative result; they also will take a COVID-19 test at embarkation; quarantine for seven days upon arrival; and take a test at the end of that seven-day period and must receive a negative result, before beginning their duties. When vaccines are widely available, they will be a requirement of employment at least 14 days prior to service."

 

It comes from the following.

 

https://www.crystalcruises.com/advisory-alerts/covid-19-vaccine-requirement

 

And under the protocols

 

  • Crew members will be expected to be fully inoculated with a COVID-19 vaccine (both doses if recommended by manufacturer) as soon as it is an available option in their home countries. When vaccines are widely available, they will be a requirement of employment at least 14 days prior to service.

The rest of the summary follows.

 

Crewmember Standards & Practices

REGULAR HEALTH MONITORING

Under Crystal Clean+ our officers and crew are temperature-tested frequently, tested for COVID-19 and monitored for even the most minor symptoms. Crystal Clean+ will ensure that our crew members remain healthy and at their best to deliver the very best experiences for our guests.

  • Crew members will be expected to be fully inoculated with a COVID-19 vaccine (both doses if recommended by manufacturer) as soon as it is an available option in their home countries. When vaccines are widely available, they will be a requirement of employment at least 14 days prior to service
  • All crew will be tested for COVID-19 prior to leaving their home location to join the ship and must receive a negative result; they also will take a COVID-19 test at embarkation, quarantine for seven days upon arrival, and take a test at the end of that seven-day period and receive a negative result, before beginning their duties
  • Crew will be tested periodically during their rotations 
  • Crew will undergo frequent temperature checks and regular health monitoring
  • When interacting with guests, crew may wear face shields, masks and any necessary Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
  • Designated crew may also wear protective garments and eye protection, if required
  • Medical Center Isolation Area staff will be required to wear adequate personal protection (face mask, eye protection, disposable gloves and disposable outer garment)
  • Crew to follow proper hand washing practices
  • Crew transfer between ships will be minimized
  • Crew are prohibited from personal contact with guests such as hand shaking, hugging or kissing
  • Crew are trained on health and safety preventive measures

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Vince saying that the majority of crew will be vaccinated makes sense as it is consistent with the Crystal Cruises communication found on their web site under Vaccination Policy and under the Crystal Clear Protocols....

  • Crew members will be expected to be fully inoculated with a COVID-19 vaccine (both doses if recommended by manufacturer) as soon as it is an available option in their home countries. When vaccines are widely available, they will be a requirement of employment at least 14 days prior to service


How Vince knows the specific status of Crystal crew is beyond me - nor does you saying it repeatedly give me the comfort I would require to believe that was the case  A policy is great but the actual implementation of it is much more important

 

The key here is Crystals comment that it will be required of crew “as soon as it is an available option in their home countries” - as I pointed out that would be an issue for those from Australia and I believe many other countries including India and the Phillipines which are in very different states as regards vaccinations and infection rates than you might be familiar with in the US

Edited by Stickman1990
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

 

What is your source for this information and the supposed status of the vaccination rate of crew which you describe as "most will be vaccinated in advance"?

 

I have not seen anything like that level of information from Crystal

 

Their Crystal announcement I saw said that staff would be tested regularly and would be vaccinated "when that was possible" - that will very much depend on the availability in their countries of residence which will be subject to whatever rules those countries have on availability for categories of their population (as an example an Australian based crew member could not get a vaccination unless they were over 70 or an emergency/health worker or had some specific health conditions - being crew on a cruise ship would not qualify them), and imagine getting access to vaccines in countries such as India or the Philippines or if Crystal can source vaccine for crew coming on board (is that possible yet?)


In the US, private providers started administering vaccinations over a month ago.  American Airlines and JetBlue’s health vendors started vaccinating their employees in late February, IIRC.  I live in a rural part of my state, and the occupational health vendors here that go around to workplaces and do flu shot clinics have already starting scheduling workplace COVID vaccinations.  I haven’t heard any details on what Crystal is planning on doing other than the vague “most crew” comment from an interview, BUT by summer they could have Vanter (or another US vendor like them) administer the vaccines the same way Vanter does the flu shots for crew.

 

To give some perspective on how quickly the supply vs. demand issue is tipping in the US, my state already has three sites where you can walk up at-will with no appointment and get vaccinated.  That’s not a good thing — that’s happening in-part because people think it’s somehow unpatriotic or against their political party to get vaccinated (*****?), but that’s one reason of many that private providers were able to get access earlier than most of us expected.

 

Regarding crew members being vaccinated back home, I don’t know how it works in Australia, but in a lot of countries having an employer document the need to be vaccinated puts you in a priority group.  You’ve probably heard from some crew members that have been vaccinated that way already.

 

Vince

Link to post
Share on other sites

Vince

 

It will be interesting to see if Crystal are prepared to bring all the foreign crew via the US for vaccinations if that's the approach they choose or maybe those vendors are allowed to move vaccine between countries - it's certainly a logistics nightmare for them

 

It's certainly interesting the different availability of vaccines around the world - we have countries who can't get enough to vaccinate their elderly and vulnerable yet others have supplies to vaccinate those prepared to pay - healthcare for the highest bidder? - go figure....

 

That is certainly not happening in Australia - where we have issues with getting appropriate vaccines to high risk and vulnerable groups let alone selling it to the private sector to on sell and administer

 

I'm not even going anywhere near the effectiveness of all the different vaccines.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:


How Vince knows the specific status of Crystal crew is beyond me - nor does you saying it repeatedly give me the comfort I would require to believe that was the case  A policy is great but the actual implementation of it is much more important

 

The key here is Crystals comment that it will be required of crew “as soon as it is an available option in their home countries” - as I pointed out that would be an issue for those from Australia and I believe many other countries including India and the Phillipines which are in very different states as regards vaccinations and infection rates than you might be familiar with in the US

I have heard from several crew members who are fully vaccinated and this includes several from India.  They were able to get priority as they require it to work.  And yes, we get world-wide coverage of COVID-19 and I realize a couple of days ago India had the highest number of reported COVID-19 daily cases of any country since this has been tracked.

 

Terry I am sure they will not bring crew to the USA to be vaccinated.  You can't just bring them into the USA without a ship.  I sooner see vaccines being procured for the cruise lines.

 

As to availability yes money is certainly a factor.  Ironically, we didn't provide money up front for Pfizer but we did for several others.  Some have not come through but may eventually come through. We are fortunate that in the end we went after a lot of vaccines of Moderna and Pfizer which unlike a couple of the others have not had reported issues of blood clots which would have resulted in at least the temporary hold of vaccinations as was the case in Europe with the company they banked on and with J&J.  In fact, we are in good shape we are not using the primary one which Europe is using and we sent what we have received (i think loaned) it to Canada and Mexico.

 

Keith

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Vince

 

It will be interesting to see if Crystal are prepared to bring all the foreign crew via the US for vaccinations if that's the approach they choose or maybe those vendors are allowed to move vaccine between countries - it's certainly a logistics nightmare for them

 

It's certainly interesting the different availability of vaccines around the world - we have countries who can't get enough to vaccinate their elderly and vulnerable yet others have supplies to vaccinate those prepared to pay - healthcare for the highest bidder? - go figure....

 

That is certainly not happening in Australia - where we have issues with getting appropriate vaccines to high risk and vulnerable groups let alone selling it to the private sector to on sell and administer

 

I'm not even going anywhere near the effectiveness of all the different vaccines.....


That’s not what I’m saying...  Vanter (or another vendor) would be able to administer the shots onboard, as US based and licensed medical providers.  Initially there were restrictions that private providers were trying to match with local regulations, but now that any adult can be vaccinated nationwide I’m not sure that any other restrictions come into play.  Nationality certainly doesn’t — I’m getting vaccinated today and there was no citizenship factor in the registration.  Being administered offshore seems to be fine, one of my friends working in Spain was vaccinated there by his private employer using US supply.

 

I would trade the broken US medical system for just about anything else on any given day, but that’s what Vanter and Crystal have to work with.  In this case that actually gives them good options.  
 

Vince

Link to post
Share on other sites

It will depend what vaccine they’re using but there’s the period of time between the two doses to factor in as well.

 

Although I realise the Pfizer vaccine has nothing like the 3-4 months being applied between Astra Zeneca doses (and that ones not being used for under 50 yo’s now anyway due to the clot issues) the time to get effective vaccination needs to be factored in. I have no knowledge of the Moderna, Sino or Sputnik vaccines and the time required between doses 

 

It’s interesting that Crystal hasn’t mentioned them sponsoring a vaccination programme for crew - their policy talks about crew getting it in their country of residence - but hey this is COVID so everything’s fluid and definitely subject to chance 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That was really my original point, before we got sidetracked...  Assuming this is where they’re going with it (which is definitely not confirmed), that period of “working” to get the crew vaccinated would mostly be that 2-6 week period of partial inoculation, depending on the vaccine.  Fortunately by the US guidelines that the vendor would have to follow (assuming they pick a US company like they have), 6 weeks would be the longest inoculation cycle.
 

Also, speaking to supply...  Setting aside AstraZeneca for the moment, we have a fourth vaccine in the US that’s close to approval from Noravax.  They’re doing a blinded crossover study where everyone gets four shots, you just don’t know at which stage you got the actual two vaccine shots.  Like the J&J vaccine, this is easier to handle logistically than the mRNA vaccines and would be preferred for applications like this.

 

We should also find out more today about the J&J resumption today too.

 

Vince

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Although I realise the Pfizer vaccine has nothing like the 3-4 months being applied between Astra Zeneca doses (and that ones not being used for under 50 yo’s now anyway due to the clot issues) the time to get effective vaccination needs to be factored in. I have no knowledge of the Moderna, Sino or Sputnik vaccines and the time required between doses 

 

It’s interesting that Crystal hasn’t mentioned them sponsoring a vaccination programme for crew - their policy talks about crew getting it in their country of residence - but hey this is COVID so everything’s fluid and definitely subject to chance 

I do think Crystal should achieve their goal of as many crew as possible being vaccinated as it seems as I mentioned if they work that helps them get vaccine such as those I head from in India.  

 

It will depend what vaccine they’re using but there’s the period of time between the two doses to factor in as well. I can speak to the three we use in the USA.

 

Pfizer 21 days between doses and one week after you reach full immunity.  Moderna four weeks between doses and at two week you reach immunity.  J&J one dose and at two weeks you prevent serious issues and at four you reach the targeted immunity rate.

 

We don't use any others in the USA right now.

 

In the USA we chose to not wait beyond what the trials were based on as some countries do so when you get your first we have targeted dates for the next one and don't make you wait months.

 

You are fortunate in Australia  to have controlled COVID-19 without having to rely on vaccine and we could (well should) have taken a lesson from you and New Zealand) but we didn't.  Yes you had a few hiccups but overall Australia has done admirable.  As to us we were not a role model in controlling its spread.  

 

We are fortunate that they have now opened up the vaccine to all age groups.  Our family just arrived here the other day from Australia and the adults are already scheduled to get the vaccine something they couldn't do in Australia. On the other hand, they didn't have to worry about masks the past many months but now the grandchildren will need to wear masks in school

 

Our challenge in the USA in a month or so won't be supply. It will be demand and the demand piece is what concerns me.

 

Finally, keep in mind that many crew will be on board for quite a while before guess get on.  There are already a good number of crew on board Serenity because of Dry Dock and the number will be augmented before ship arrives to the Bahamas.  And there is quarantine, etc, 

 

Keith

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

Why is Crystal requiring all pax to be vaccinated to board when they restart cruising, but not the crew who lean in the faces of pax, talking and laughing and vigorously expeling air when they serve pax food?  Is Crystal saving money on vaccines?  This makes no sense.

 

Most hospital systems in the U.S, require employees show they are negative for TB and have an annual flu shot.  If employees  refuse, too bad so sad, they can go look for another line of work, as the hospital has an obligation to do their best to minimize risk to patients. So why cannot cruise lines mandate the same? For the rare person who has medical contraindications to a vaccine, other accomodations can  be made, if no alternative employee can be found for their special job function.

 

I certainly would not put a frail relative into a nursing home that employs unvaccinated workers.  With all the time that has passed, cruise lines should also be expected to vaccinate their workers.  Masks are not enough.

 

 

 


Hospitals, nursing homes, and LTC facilities in the US are not requiring the COVID vaccination as a condition of employment at this time. I think the EUA is partly the reason for not mandating it as a condition of employment. 
 

Very underreported in the media, but there is a lot of vaccine hesitancy among large segments of healthcare workers. It’s doubtful that patriotism and political party are to blame. 
https://www.washingtonpost.com/context/washington-post-kff-frontline-health-care-workers-survey-feb-11-march-7-2021/ba15a233-9495-47a9-9cdd-e7fa1578b1ca/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...