Jump to content

Will they do rapid flu tests to board the ships as well as Covid tests?


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Actually, you don't need a "full lab test" to diagnose noro.  There are several "quick" tests available to test stool samples, the cruise ships have been using these for a few years now.  While the accuracy is not what the lab tests are, they are still considered good for industry use.  Then there is the saliva swab that is in development, as mentioned above.

They never bought those quick tests out on the pearl. No sample was asked for at least not from me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Sure, 8000+ Passengers and Crew. Check in is Wed-Sat to get everyone done in time to Sail on Sunday. 

Its in the name of safety - we will all have to sacrifice. But when we leave for the 45 minutes we have out in the waters as it going to take 6 days to load everyone, nobody will be sick!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

They never bought those quick tests out on the pearl. No sample was asked for at least not from me.

They are not required to test whether a person complaining of GI illness is suffering from noro, or another virus.  They merely need to report the number of cases of GI illness, until the CDC asks for samples, or they already have several cases documented.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

Its in the name of safety - we will all have to sacrifice. But when we leave for the 45 minutes we have out in the waters as it going to take 6 days to load everyone, nobody will be sick!

There is always going be someone sick onboard, Noro, Cold, Flu, CV. Never stop it all. Takes too much time check everyone for all at pier b4 Boarding. Vaccine and Test for CV will be before day of Sailing, rest will have deal with during Cruise

Edited by ONECRUISER
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

There is always going be someone sick onboard, Noro, Cold, Flu, CV. Never stop it all. Takes too much time check everyone for all at pier b4 Boarding. Vaccine and Test for CV will be before day of Sailing, rest will have deal with during Cruise

I think you are missing my point - I agree with you

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

They should require the flu vaccine for everyone

 

Many people are allergic to the flu shot. Some have severe allergic reaction. Just wondering, why do you single out the flu shot ?

m

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Maybe they should give an IQ test.  Probably solve most issues on the ship. 

you just solved all the issues with this...

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, vandals04 said:

 

Just like covid you can have the flu and be asymptomatic.  Spread it without even knowing it.  I have no issue with anyone declining a vaccine but how can you know for sure that you have not had the flu?

Does it really matter? As far as I know, I've never had the flu either. And I definitely don't live in a bubble

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

 

Many people are allergic to the flu shot. Some have severe allergic reaction. Just wondering, why do you single out the flu shot ?

m

 

Knowing his posting history, I tend to think he was being sarcastic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a lab professional, and I've actually looked into the option of working on a ship to do testing for them. They don't offer it, at all (a job that is, not testing in a generalized manner). Was hoping to finagle a way to get a free cruise out of the deal, but that would be a no.

 

Rapid flu tests are a joke and not worth their weight in cardboard that they're shipped in. Every lab including doctors offices are all moving to PCR based testing. And not all PCR tests are created equal. We just finished validating 3 new rapid instruments for Covid + Flu A/B yesterday, and already have to ship one back to the vendor as it gives error messages and false results every 5th sample. 

 

Keep laboratory testing in the labs being run by actual lab professionals, not in the hands of some random crew member trying to screen 4000+ people in just a matter of hours.

 

Happy Lab Week to any other lab professionals out there!

download.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2021 at 12:16 PM, Stick93 said:

 

We should probably come up with a list on things they could test for - Maybe offer health screening like  yearly physicals. Why not throw in mammograms and colonoscopies. This would be a great way to get more people on board and make some extra money for the cruiselines. 

If mammograms, then prostate exams too.!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/21/2021 at 1:31 AM, Ocean Boy said:

Which sickness will we be discussing tomorrow?

Chicken Pox or measles, mumps and rubella and the enforcement of the MMR jabs for kids cruising perhaps.

Edited by ace2542
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2021 at 7:47 AM, MacMarauder said:

If they were going to test for something else prior to boarding I think Norovirus would be the best candidate.

I really, really hope that there is less Noro onboard, now that people are better about hand washing!  DH and I got it many years ago on a cruise, and have been paranoid about it ever since then- lots of hand washing, carrying around that hand sanitizer that is supposed to kill noro, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2021 at 8:47 AM, MacMarauder said:

If they were going to test for something else prior to boarding I think Norovirus would be the best candidate.

These tests aren't free. Norovirus has been a part of cruising for as long as I can remember. They aren't going to waste money on that test. Even if you test negative it can still come on the ship from other sources like not washing your hands.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2021 at 1:16 PM, Stick93 said:

 

We should probably come up with a list on things they could test for - Maybe offer health screening like  yearly physicals. Why not throw in mammograms and colonoscopies. This would be a great way to get more people on board and make some extra money for the cruiselines. 

They can do prostate exams while they are getting a stool sample for noro.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

 

Testing for syphilis, gonorrehea, crabs and herpes should be "de rigueur." 

Particularly with drug use on the younger skewing ships - and not using protection due to drug use - and isn't there the epidemic of crystal meth use and again - not using protection - among friends of a certain girl from Kansas if you catch my drift. I have heard there is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

 

Testing for syphilis, gonorrehea, crabs and herpes should be "de rigueur." 

But not HIV? Doing the others, you have got to do that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Particularly with drug use on the younger skewing ships - and not using protection due to drug use - and isn't there the epidemic of crystal meth use and again - not using protection - among friends of a certain girl from Kansas if you catch my drift. I have heard there is.

 

Yup, who knows what Dorothy did with the scarecrow, lion and tin man -- could have been a drug and boozed-up debauchery for all we know...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Azamara - We are back with New Greece Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...