Married People Who Cruise Solo

I cruise solo since my husband is still working full time and will not fly.  so i go on some cruises solo that he is not interested in the destination or that it requires flying (unless he had enough vacation time to drive to departure port).  

• 2 weeks later...

Since his stroke, my husband doesn't care much for travel (even though he has completely recovered from the stroke), unless it is to visit family members via trips on land or air.  He never was big on cruising, while I love cruising and all other kids of travel.  We have a large dog and two cats.

This is perfect - he stays home and cares for the pets, while I travel when and where I want.  No boarding or pet-sitting expenses!  Often my cruises are theme cruises, so never a problem finding other cruisers with similar interests.

19 hours ago, doctork said:

This is perfect - he stays home and cares for the pets, while I travel when and where I want.  No boarding or pet-sitting expenses!  Often my cruises are theme cruises, so never a problem finding other cruisers with similar interests.

My husband takes care of the furballs when I'm traveling and vice versa. With six cats, boarding is so expensive that it'd be cheaper to book a connecting cabin and bring them along!

I have been seriously considering a solo cruise. He doesn't retire for 2 years, so now's my chance. I just wonder how he'll take it when I bring the idea up for the first time.

On 6/22/2021 at 4:31 PM, fyree39 said:

I have been seriously considering a solo cruise. He doesn't retire for 2 years, so now's my chance. I just wonder how he'll take it when I bring the idea up for the first time.

Cindy:

One way to start is by stressing that a "solo" cruise is not the same thing as a "singles" cruise.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

I took three solo cruises in 2019 and one with DH. He decided on that cruise, though, that he did not like being away from his elderly mother. (She turns 95 this year.) He's an only child, so there's no one else to share the burden. I have a brother who lives in my city--and he and I would make sure that we weren't gone at the same time when our mother was alive. 

Now that cruises are starting back up, I'm starting to look again. So far, I haven't found any great buys. I'm not crazy about paying double. I was lucky to find bargains on the three solo trips I took in 2019. 

He doesn't mind staying at home since it's his choice. 

On 7/13/2021 at 11:34 PM, geoherb said:

I took three solo cruises in 2019 and one with DH. He decided on that cruise, though, that he did not like being away from his elderly mother. (She turns 95 this year.) He's an only child, so there's no one else to share the burden. I have a brother who lives in my city--and he and I would make sure that we weren't gone at the same time when our mother was alive. 

Now that cruises are starting back up, I'm starting to look again. So far, I haven't found any great buys. I'm not crazy about paying double. I was lucky to find bargains on the three solo trips I took in 2019. 

He doesn't mind staying at home since it's his choice. 

Celebrity has some great solo deals for September in Caribbean.