Jump to content

State bans on vaccine passports


dwlmg
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I checked this morning and plenty of vax appointments are available at CVS and the Albertsons family of stores in So Cal.  And I’m sure other pharmacies, etc. are offering appointments.  Anyone with access to the internet can now easily get an appointment.  And county governments and charities have outreach programs for those with difficulty accessing the myriad sources of vax.

 

One thing to note, most of the commercial providers base the appoinments offered on a zip code entry at the beginning of the process.  If no appointments show up for a zip code, try others.  You may have to drive 20 minutes to a nearby zip code to get your shots.  Don’t be put off by no appointments being shown for the initial zip code you try.  Also, they seem to reload appointments every three or four days, so check daily if no luck initially trying several zip codes.  But I check almost daily fir other people and always see at least a few appointments within 20 miles.  Once I happened to check after a re-load and there were over 200 appts available within 5 miles.

 

And there are no restrictions on what city or county you get your vax in, it doesn’t have to be your own.  At least at the commercial providers in California.  Not sure about the county “supersites”.

 

But CVS was easier than the county site.  I got mine early on at a county site and DW got hers at CVS.  Either way is ok, but CVS was a bit less hectic.  And much more immediate.

 

 

I was initially going to wait for Kaiser but the emphasis on county distribution did not allow for that.  I was a bit peeved when they changed the rules on who could get the shot which delayed my first until April 1 and second yesterday.  I signed up for the state site, carbon health and Kaiser.  I got Carbon Health shots at USC the first a two hour round trip and yesterday three hours due to a delay on getting more vaccine but it wasn’t much of a bother.  I’m achy today, but it is a small price to pay to avoid getting the plague and it helps my fellow humans in getting life back to normal 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, PasadenaDave said:

I was initially going to wait for Kaiser but the emphasis on county distribution did not allow for that.  I was a bit peeved when they changed the rules on who could get the shot which delayed my first until April 1 and second yesterday.  I signed up for the state site, carbon health and Kaiser.  I got Carbon Health shots at USC the first a two hour round trip and yesterday three hours due to a delay on getting more vaccine but it wasn’t much of a bother.  I’m achy today, but it is a small price to pay to avoid getting the plague and it helps my fellow humans in getting life back to normal 

I’m also a Kaiser member, but in Washington state. The vaccination process was a breeze up here. Right after the state opened up my age bracket (65-69) in early February, I was able to schedule an appointment for a Moderna jab. No problem at all. Fully vaccinated by the end of the month.

 

My sister lives in Dana Point in SoCal. She’s a Kaiser member, too, but she ended up going to a community center in Anaheim for her jab.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Really sad we have come to this. 


Fortunately, I find most people are much more tribal in online forums than in real life. 

Edited by Twitchly
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:


I would book a blue ship, a wolf amongst the sheep 😈

Hey Ragnar.  Heard a new word:  "sheeple".  right up your alley.  🍸

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Jabs a’plenty now (but pre-menopausal women, all three of you on these Viking boards,  might want to steer clear of the J&J shot):

 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/23/jj-covid-vaccine-cdc-panel-recommends-resuming-use-of-jj-vaccine-.html

 

 

(See, fangs nice and sharp...)

 

 

 

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Let Me Travel! said:

Just hoping our vaccine distribution continues at the recent great rate...I’d really like the world get back to normal...I do think that we, as a population have become hysterical about the virus overall...we failed to protect the most vulnerable to the virus at the beginning and we imposed restrictions on the entire population as a knee-jerk response. I’ll wear the mandated masks, but I honestly do believe that as the population is vaccinated, (as the SCIENCE recommends) we need to stop the show and allow business, travel and social interaction recover...it’s my opinion that we are prolonging the drama.

It’s tough on everyone. We’d all like to get back to normal. In terms of hysteria, there was a “dance macabre” going on with certain folks in the beginning who said it was all a hoax and refused to take precautions. THAT’s why we had to shut down. And science didn’t know in the beginning just how contagious it was through respiration. Now we know—and masks, social distancing, and ventilation are the key. Raging outbreaks continue to occur because thousands of people are not heeding the advice. Sure hope the vaccinations can overtake the numbers and get us out of this mess

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is so messed up in our neck of the woods.  The City we live in has a mask mandate.  The county does not.  All the counties around us don't require mask.  I think we live in the only city that has a mask mandate.  You can go to a restaurant in our city and you are required to wear a mask.  You walk 1/2 of a mile to another restaurant in a different city or county and no mask.  I guess the virus respects city lines.

 

But if there is good new my daughter the school nurse told me yesterday that the schools have gone back to normal with the kids in grade school..... broken bones... head lice...colds...vaping...knifes... you know all of the usual stuff.... but still required to mask.....   things you didn't see last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok....just heard this morning...Dr Fauci is saying it’s “common sense” that there is a very little chance that the virus is transmittable outside and particularly between vaccinated people...mask mandates may be modified by the CDC this week...also, EU will open to vaccinated US travelers this summer...yes! Let’s get social again! This is GREAT NEWS! The US will start sharing vaccines with India! The numbers of new cases are dropping in Georgia and the SE...I’m just so glad that the doom and gloom is lifting...I’m ready for positive news!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Let Me Travel! said:

Ok....just heard this morning...Dr Fauci is saying it’s “common sense” that there is a very little chance that the virus is transmittable outside and particularly between vaccinated people...mask mandates may be modified by the CDC this week...also, EU will open to vaccinated US travelers this summer...yes! Let’s get social again! This is GREAT NEWS! The US will start sharing vaccines with India! The numbers of new cases are dropping in Georgia and the SE...I’m just so glad that the doom and gloom is lifting...I’m ready for positive news!


Amen to all of that!

 

One of my book groups finally met in person last night for the first time in a year. (A couple members wanted to wait until we were all either vaccinated or had had Covid.) It felt a little surreal to be hanging out together indoors and unmasked, but in a good way! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/22/2021 at 5:07 PM, Jim Avery said:

When do you stop wearing them, or do you plan to wear them the rest of your days? Just trying to understand when enough is enough.  Never in history has such action been taken to shut down peoples lives, not for any previous epidemic situations.  

My answer is very simple - when I am no longer reading obits of people I know who have died of covid.  Most were older who had caregivers who tested positive and passed along the virus.  Right now, I go where I want, say what I want, and feel no impingement on my liberties.  I love my neighbors and want to be part of the solution.

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mask wearing and vaccine acceptance is similar to gay marriage and AIDS years ago.  Many people didn't think gay people suffered or there was any need to pay attention to HIV until they had a close friend or relative who could not marry the love of their life or likewise knew someone who became HIV positive.

 

Most people who I know who think mask wearing is a waste and are not getting vaccinated have not known someone to have a bad case of Covid or have had friends die.

 

I never was exposed to people my age with polio because we were all vaccinated.  I did know a lot of people from "The Greatest Generation" who had a disability from polio, in fact my mother it is thought was a polio survivor although no issues, her childhood friend told me two years after mum passed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, ClevelandKid said:

My answer is very simple - when I am no longer reading obits of people I know who have died of covid.  Most were older who had caregivers who tested positive and passed along the virus.  Right now, I go where I want, say what I want, and feel no impingement on my liberties.  I love my neighbors and want to be part of the solution.

 

I have been reading obits of friends and family most of my adult life.  I don't once remember feeling less pain of loss due to the cause of death.  Are you saying covid deaths deserve more pain of loss?  And you must be aware of the numerous very credible examples of how covid is counted as cause no matter the underlying other causes.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

I have been reading obits of friends and family most of my adult life.  I don't once remember feeling less pain of loss due to the cause of death.  Are you saying covid deaths deserve more pain of loss?  And you must be aware of the numerous very credible examples of how covid is counted as cause no matter the underlying other causes.  

Jim, I don't want to beat a dead horse, but you're missing a few things. Several years ago, I lost a son who wasn't quite 2 years old, and some years later, my wife who had just turned 52. Both were natural causes and not preventable. I can honestly say there would be more pain if the deaths were preventable. Fortunately, I did not lose anyone very close to me due to Covid, but I know those that did. As far as case counting is concerned, what you describe is he exception, not the rule. A friend lost his elderly mother in law who had other issues. She tested. positive for Covid, but that was not listed as the cause of death. 

 

When my son died, my wife's doctor's first comment was that if it had to happen, it was best she was there. If it happened in the hospital, she would most likely think it could have been avoided and always be suspicious of the hospital. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mrs Miggins said:

The difference is whether the death was preventable and spread by those who were ignorant or uncaring.

You could apply that statement to just about any disease.  Covid will never disappear.  There will never be 100%safe.  The vax, and your immune system is all you really have.  No one gets off this planet alive.  Never has, never will.  So give up your freedoms, stand by while entire industries are decimated and stay indoors and double masked.  Just stop telling the rest of us how to live.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Squawkman said:

Jim, I don't want to beat a dead horse, but you're missing a few things. Several years ago, I lost a son who wasn't quite 2 years old, and some years later, my wife who had just turned 52. Both were natural causes and not preventable. I can honestly say there would be more pain if the deaths were preventable. Fortunately, I did not lose anyone very close to me due to Covid, but I know those that did. As far as case counting is concerned, what you describe is he exception, not the rule. A friend lost his elderly mother in law who had other issues. She tested. positive for Covid, but that was not listed as the cause of death. 

 

When my son died, my wife's doctor's first comment was that if it had to happen, it was best she was there. If it happened in the hospital, she would most likely think it could have been avoided and always be suspicious of the hospital. 

Everyone has losses.  I lost my father early to a car crash.  I lost my son at 17 to a boating accident.  Other family members to age and other issues.  It's part of life on this planet.  You can't change it and no one person necessarily suffers more than another.  It's the telling others how to feel and act that infuriates me.  We are headed for even worse times due to the total divide of our country.  Sad.  But a discussion for somewhere other than Cruise Critic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How is mask-wearing giving up one's freedom? It's a precaution, that's all, and a very reasonable one at that.

 

I'm fully vaccinated, and I will continue to wear a mask where and when one is advised.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In terms of how this disease is spread there seems to be a large degree of “misunderstanding”—to be charitable. It’s HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS. So mask wearing and social distancing are for public health.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DaveSJ711 said:

How is mask-wearing giving up one's freedom? It's a precaution, that's all, and a very reasonable one at that.

 

I'm fully vaccinated, and I will continue to wear a mask where and when one is advised.


I’m also fully vaccinated and wear a mask only to make others around me feel comfortable. I think it’s just theater at this point. Of the 87 million people fully vaccinated in this country so far, there have been 7,157 “breakthrough” cases of Covid. https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html 

 

That’s a whopping .0082 percent. My chances of being in a fatal car accident — about 1 in 103, according to the National Safety Council — are much higher than my chances of getting or transmitting Covid.

 

Telling vaccinated people to keep wearing masks isn’t “science.” I’m not sure what it is, frankly. 
 

On the bright side, these vaccines are proving to be astonishingly effective, even in the face of multiple variants. That’s a pretty fantastic piece of good news that should be on the front page of every newspaper! 

Edited by Twitchly
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Twitchly said:


I’m also fully vaccinated and wear a mask only to make others around me feel comfortable. I think it’s just theater at this point.

 

The CDC doesn't think of masking as "theater," and neither do I.

Edited by DaveSJ711
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

 

The CDC doesn't think of masking as "theater," and neither do I.


I think they might, actually, at least for vaccinated folks. Given the incredibly low rate of Covid cases among the vaccinated, I suspect the CDC is still advising they (we) wear masks only because it’s impossible to know from looking at someone who has been vaccinated and who hasn’t. So they just advise everyone to wear a mask until cases fall to some acceptable level, whatever that may be.

 

That’s the only rationale I can think of, anyway. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Virgin Voyages. It's Go Time
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...