Lunch on longer excursions?

Mocamps

Sorry folks- yet another excursion query from an excursion newby!!

One excursion we’re looking at is 6 hours but there’s no mention of lunch? It’s around wineries in Santorini so there’s plenty of wine-tasting but that could be disastrous if there’s no food!!  The excursion is about $160 each so not cheap and we wouldn’t normally consider it but we’re restricted to ship excursions and we’ve been to Santorini before so this is really the only option rather than staying on the ship. Will we have to buy lunch as well or do you think we can assume that lunch will be provided on a 6 hour excursion?

We did a tour of the Alhambra which was an all day tour and we stopped for lunch but the tour description did say lunch. We did a wine tour in Sicily that went to 2 or 3 different wineries and did not include lunch either. If it's not in your description I would assume there is no lunch. I did check out the tour description and it did say there were coffee shops so I wonder if they are letting you know there would be time for a quick stop to pick something up on your own?

Edited by Ski Mom 2
  • Like 1

What time does the tour depart? Usually (maybe always) when I've been on a Windstar tour that spanned lunch times, it has included lunch. In those cases lunch was mentioned in the descriptions. I've seen at least one case, actually the Alhambra tour, where lunch was mentioned in the description but the description didn't make it clear that lunch was included. Given the time that the ship is in Santorini, it is possible that the winery tour leaves in the very late morning or early afternoon (say 11:30 AM or later) and they expect you to grab an early lunch on board before departing. Or it leaves early and they expect people to get a late lunch back on board or grab something at the coffee shops mentioned in the tour description. 

Thanks. The tour is a 6 hour tour and won't get back until mid-afternoon (after 3 I think so lunch will be over!) But for $165 each I would have expected lunch anyway?!! If it doesn't include lunch we'll definitely need coffee shops!!

Edited by Mocamps
Sent it too soon!

DW often makes a sandwich from the breakfast cold cuts bar.  But there are warnings about bringing food off the ship in some ports.  [Thankfully she has never been stopped by the fabled food-sniffing dogs!]

On 4/21/2021 at 10:33 AM, Ski Mom 2 said:

We did a tour of the Alhambra which was an all day tour and we stopped for lunch but the tour description did say lunch. We did a wine tour in Sicily that went to 2 or 3 different wineries and did not include lunch either. If it's not in your description I would assume there is no lunch. I did check out the tour description and it did say there were coffee shops so I wonder if they are letting you know there would be time for a quick stop to pick something up on your own?

That lunch after the Alhambra was fabulous.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

DW often makes a sandwich from the breakfast cold cuts bar.  But there are warnings about bringing food off the ship in some ports.  [Thankfully she has never been stopped by the fabled food-sniffing dogs!]

I usually bring an array of protein bars, nuts and dried cheeses for just these occasions. A few juices or sodas from the fridge in a little lunch bag and we're set. Have been there with diabetic travelers who are in a pickle and not aware of the lack of sustenance to be provided. Trader Joe's always has fun travel food.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

I usually bring an array of protein bars, nuts and dried cheeses for just these occasions. A few juices or sodas from the fridge in a little lunch bag and we're set. Have been there with diabetic travelers who are in a pickle and not aware of the lack of sustenance to be provided. Trader Joe's always has fun travel food.

I'm a meatitarian...

• Like 2

Well it looks like the consensus is that lunch WON’T be provided and we need to come prepared! Thanks everyone.

We’re still going to do this excursion because we don’t want to stay on the ship for the whole week. But looks like we now have to factor into the budget at least the same amount again for excursions as we paid for the cruise!!  Or maybe we’re punching above our weight opting for more upmarket companies with smaller ships which is our preference. We’re big fans of Silversea as well and I see that they’re including excursions in their prices from next year. But I guess those prices will increase significantly to take that into account.

I do hope this isn’t for ever. We love cruising and the small ship experience is by far our preference. But we really don’t want to be forced onto these excursions. We’ve always done our own thing apart from on expeditions where the excursions (usually wet landings from zodiacs) are included and suit us anyway as we’re quite active. Being herded around on coaches has little appeal and might force us into a re-think about holidays for the future.

In the Yacht Clubs on the WS ships you can get sandwiches in the am and take with you as well as water. Sandwiches have always been great. When we return to the ship ( pre covid ) we like to get a sandwich sit somewhere quiet and enjoy the solace and views, we have taken the sandwiches with us as well. 

I am a firm believer in vaccines and the no go policy but I am not fond at all of the excursion policy, perhaps hypocrisy but we have our specific interests and we do not like being in big groups. I hope this excursion rule in time will disappear. Happy Sailing

On 4/22/2021 at 12:39 PM, Redtravel said:

That lunch after the Alhambra was fabulous.

Yes, it was. Along with the lunch in Turkey where we were a small group and were treated like royalty. And a lunch somewhere in Malaysia where the delicious food didn’t stop. Also Iceland. When included, the lunches are usually great. Then there was the endless trip to three wineries where there wasn’t even a cracker as the two groups ahead of us had eaten everything. The bus on the way back wouldn’t stop. We had people who needed food for medical reason, and on our return we found 1 sandwich left in the lounge. The crew found some chow but it took awhile. If the listing doesn’t say lunch, assume not and pack at least a sandwich just in case. 

Thank you everyone. I'm assuming we won't get lunch and will try to take something as I don't think wine tasting on an empty stomach is a good idea. And I'm afraid we're not really good at making use of spittoons!!

We've now booked two Windstar cruises for this summer and really hoping they might go!! Last year we had to cancel two really exciting trips.