Just got a redeployment message

We just receieved a message that our 2022 Alaskan cruise has been changed from the Emerald Princess to the Crown Princess. Can anyone tell me if this is a positive change? Negative? Or are they identical/no differnce?

I have only sailed on the Emerald before. Thanks! 

3 minutes ago, sjde said:

We just receieved a message that our 2022 Alaskan cruise has been changed from the Emerald Princess to the Crown Princess. Can anyone tell me if this is a positive change? Negative? Or are they identical/no differnce?

I have sail on the Crown a number of times and the Emerald once. They are sister ships, and very much the same, and I suspect most people could not see much if any difference.

I have sailed on the Emerald 4 times and the Crown twice. Both ships are excellent. I didn’t see any difference myself. Enjoy your cruise stay safe 😷 and have a great time.

Tony

Thanks everyone. Why do they do this? The Emerald didn't need to be in dry dock. That was done recently I think.

We received a notice that our 2022 British Isles cruise on the Crown is being switched to the Emerald.  So I guess the Crown is coming to America and the Emerald is switching to Europe.  I compared the decks on each ship and the only difference I found was a restaurant called "Share" by Curtis Stone is on the Emerald in the same location where Sabatini's is on the Crown. Otherwise everything is the same...even the location of our cabin.

1 hour ago, sjde said:

We got the same email except reverse. We were supposed to be on the Crown doing the British Isles cruise next year and now its the Emerald. Identical ships in every way. Not really sure why they did this.

58 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Share  is very Weird. We didn't like it at all. You will not miss it.

57 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

We got the same email except reverse. We were supposed to be on the Crown doing the British Isles cruise next year and now its the Emerald. Identical ships in every way. Not really sure why they did this.

59 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

We tried Share and enjoyed several items. Returned a second time to try others. Personal taste varies and ship restaurants vary.Always worth a try.

15 minutes ago, maggie777 said:

We tried Share and enjoyed several items. Returned a second time to try others. Personal taste varies and ship restaurants vary.Always worth a try.

Agree. We really enjoyed Share and would definitely go back. I prefer it over Sabatini's. Each to their own!

Posted (edited)

Haha, taste is subjective. We love Share! We enjoy booking a ship that has it, and usually go twice on a cruise. Other than that, they are sister ships and very similar.

Edited by jennybenny

On another website that shows cabin pictures there was a pic of a Emerald mini suite and it had the curtain between the sofa and the bed like on the newer ships. Any idea of thats been done on the Crown. The picture had a 2021 date on it.

Curtis Stone is an Australian chef? And what kind of food at Share? Tapas? Sabatini's is Italian I assume. 

51 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

On another website that shows cabin pictures there was a pic of a Emerald mini suite and it had the curtain between the sofa and the bed like on the newer ships. Any idea of thats been done on the Crown. The picture had a 2021 date on it.

The photos you reference say they are Emerald Princess, but are in fact of Emerald deck mini suite on the Sky Princess. Who ever submitted to the website got ship name and deck name confused methinks as well as an incorrect room #

4 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

The photos you reference say they are Emerald Princess, but are in fact of Emerald deck mini suite on the Sky Princess. Who ever submitted to the website got ship name and deck name confused methinks as well as an incorrect room #

Mahalo, didn't think they'd remove the old TV/storage tower. Had a curtain in one of the new Island Princess aft minis and loved it. Might have to make my own.

27 minutes ago, sjde said:

Curtis Stone is an Australian chef? And what kind of food at Share? Tapas? Sabatini's is Italian I assume. 

SHARE is slightly more eccentric in the offerings. Not exactly Tapas. It tries to be a trendy restaurant but it's just OK to me. Menu here.

And yes, Curtis Stone is Australian. Sabatini's is all about Italian cuisine. 

Like others have said, Crown and Emerald are nearly identical. The only difference is, as discussed, the dining options (Crown has no SHARE) and Emerald has the newer buffet design (World Fresh Marketplace).

And to answer your earlier question about "why did they need to swap?" -- it might just have to do with where the ships are right now (Crown's in Asia and can take over for Emerald's Australia deployment) or...maybe Crown's the one that needs the dry dock. We don't have many answers here. 

Emerald has a new buffet design. So just decor or more offerings too?

Thanks for the Share menu-looks good. 

4 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Each to his own, we loved Share. It’s not for everyone. Excited that our next cruise is on the Ruby!

Cheers, Denise 

4 hours ago, maggie777 said:

I believe the party line on share is that it has not performed up to expectations.

Princess originally had a roll-out schedule of quite a few future ships.

After the poor performance, the roll-out never materialized.

As the the people responsible for the share roll-out schedule were then free,

they moved on to working on the medallion roll-out schedule.

2 hours ago, sjde said:

Emerald has a new buffet design. So just decor or more offerings too?

Thanks for the Share menu-looks good. 

Google "World Fresh Marketplace Princess" and you'll get what I mean. Offerings are slightly adjusted with more grab-and-go style and has a "trendy" vibe as opposed to the humdrum of the older-style buffet. But since you're not going to be sailing on Emerald, I wouldn't worry too much. Crown still retains the traditional wood and brass-style of the Horizon Buffet.

Yup, we have been switched to the Emerald from the Crown. I was upset but then checked out the deck plans. My main concern was keeping our cabin and it looks that will be fine. Phew!

sjde- we have been on the Crown and like it. You will be fine.