Wee bit of Alaska 2021 out of Seattle news

Balliett

Note from the TA today that my scheduled 8-21-21 Alaska cruise will not be on the Eurodam but on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  I read elsewhere that the Eurodam will be needed in Greece, but the news to me is that HAL still thinks Seattle Alaska cruises might still go.  

• Like 3

I received an email from our TA that our July 10, 2021 Alaska cruise has been changed from the Eurodam to the Nieuw Amsterdam with everything transferred to the same category. We will be notified in 30 days of new stateroom number.  This may offer some hope for Alaska yet!  I really don't want to be the first cruise after the pause, though we are fully vaccinated.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Balliett said:

Note from the TA today that my scheduled 8-21-21 Alaska cruise will not be on the Eurodam but on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  I read elsewhere that the Eurodam will be needed in Greece, but the news to me is that HAL still thinks Seattle Alaska cruises might still go.  

I have a vested interest in your cruise out of Seattle happening. We are booked on the Nieuw Amsterdam 12/4/21. If she sails for you it will be more likely she will sail in December. 

Even were the CDC to completely lift the No Sail order the cruise lines have said it would take them a minimum of 60 days to gear up. They actually have said more like 90. All of the infrastructure for visitors to the cruise ports in Alaska have been on pause since the end of the 2019 season. That include all the excursion personnel, shop owners, supplies and staffing. I have friends who run businesses in Skagway & Ketchikan and they have said with the uncertainty they and most other businesses they know have thrown in the towel regardless of what happens in 2021.

If there are no changes to the No Sail order by mid May I wouldn't hold my breath any longer.

• Like 2

Here is the email we received for a September sailing: 

image.png.d727b38f63fe85edb5c5d47a9291c467.png 

Dear Valued Guest, 

Thank you for choosing Holland America Line. All of us are anticipating and working toward the resumption of cruising worldwide.

We know you are eager for more information about your upcoming cruise to Alaska. We are continuing our discussions with government authorities in the United States and Canada, and remain hopeful that an agreement will be reached to allow roundtrip Seattle cruises to Alaska later this summer. We anticipate that we will have an update for you on the status of our summer Alaska season very soon and once again thank you for your patience and understanding. 

In the meantime, we want to inform you that as a result of some changes to our deployment schedule, your planned 7-Day Alaskan Explorer voyage on Eurodam (booking XXXXXX) will now sail on Nieuw Amsterdam.

Your booking will be automatically transferred with your cruise fare and promotions protected, in the same or equivalent stateroom category.

A new booking number and confirmation will be sent to you within 30 days. Once you receive your new booking, should you have any questions or wish to consider an alternate sailing, please contact your travel advisor or reach out to us at the appropriate office:

Seattle Office (USD/CAD currency):

Contact us at 1-800-577-1728 or 206-626-7395.

We are available Monday – Friday, 6:00am – 6:00pm PT.

Saturday-Sunday 7:00am – 4:00pm PT.

Rotterdam Office (EUR currency):

Contact us at 00800 1873 1873.

We are available Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 5:30pm.

For Netherlands contact us at 0800 724 5425.

Southampton Office (GBP currency):

Contact us at 0344 338 8605.

Sydney Office (AUD currency):

Contact us at 1300 987 322.

We are available Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 7:00pm.

Thank you again for choosing Holland America Line. We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Warm Regards,

Holland America Line

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this, not sure how they are sending these out but we are booked for the first sailing of September on the Eurodam. I actually predicted this change to the Nieuw Amsterdam several months ago. Oddly we have not received this email nor have my traveling companions.

I am still keeping my fingers crossed that this is what will happen but I am also thinking that HAL is needing to cover their rear end because they may possibly be getting ready to announce Eurodam sailing out of Greece and cannot very well do that if people are booked on the Eurodam. So they are notifying them of this change before they make their big announcement. HAL is just holding out and hoping they can salvage 6 to 8 weeks of sailing Alaska this year.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Loreto said:

I received an email from our TA that our July 10, 2021 Alaska cruise has been changed from the Eurodam to the Nieuw Amsterdam with everything transferred to the same category.

I understand that this is encouraging news for you.  I hope it happens.

I fear the reality is that whomever in Seattle sent that message to your TA had one too many Bloody Marys during the day when it was sent.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, atanac said:

Even were the CDC to completely lift the No Sail order the cruise lines have said it would take them a minimum of 60 days to gear up. They actually have said more like 90. All of the infrastructure for visitors to the cruise ports in Alaska have been on pause since the end of the 2019 season. That include all the excursion personnel, shop owners, supplies and staffing. I have friends who run businesses in Skagway & Ketchikan and they have said with the uncertainty they and most other businesses they know have thrown in the towel regardless of what happens in 2021.

If there are no changes to the No Sail order by mid May I wouldn't hold my breath any longer.

And even if the CDC dropped all requirements, Alaska cruises would still be a no go because of the PVSA. Canada is not about to budge when it comes to their stance that their ports are closed to cruise ships.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I understand that this is encouraging news for you.  I hope it happens.

I fear the reality is that whomever in Seattle sent that message to your TA had one too many Bloody Marys during the day when it was sent.  

Isn’t the sale and use of cannabis legal in Washington state?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Speaking of Alaska, I keep in touch with one of the Neptune Lounge concierges that we were on Eurodam with for the last two cruises before the COVID shutdown.  Last weekend when I asked if she'd heard anything about going back to work she told me -  

Last Monday, we had a Town Hall meeting with the leaders of HAL mainly giving us the crew the chance to ask questions about vaccination and changes in manning. HAL mentioned that we are aiming for a late summer restart in the US with Alaska, Europe and the Caribbean.

This isn't related to specific ships but rather in conjunction with what the crew has been told and what TAs are now saying, so maybe there is MORE than a glimmer of hope for some later-season Alaska cruises this year.  Fingers and toes crossed.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And even if the CDC dropped all requirements, Alaska cruises would still be a no go because of the PVSA. Canada is not about to budge when it comes to their stance that their ports are closed to cruise ships.

Yes, that's what I was thinking as I read this thread.  Canada was rather adamant that they would stay closed through December 2021 and I thought that meant not sailing through Canadian waters either.  

• Like 1

We are continuing our discussions with government authorities in the United States and Canada, and remain hopeful that an agreement will be reached to allow roundtrip Seattle cruises to Alaska later this summer. 

They only mention cruises out of Seattle which means minimal exposure to Canada - basically all the roundtrip cruises stop at Victoria vs mainland BC, but might they just dock at Victoria as a Service Call, which would then satisfy that stupid foreign port requirement (with nobody getting off the ship)?  

Just sharing some of my own travel/cruising philosophy.  We live in strange times and those who travel and want to continue to travel need to adapt to the circumstances on the ground.  When it comes to Alaska cruises you are fighting  the Canadian government and the CDC, both of whom seem hell bent on keeping cruises shut down!  There is no reason to expect one or both of those entities to suddenly reverse course and allow cruising.  It is also difficult to get excited about the possibility of some overpriced limited 7 day Caribbean cruises during the summer.   So my philosophy (and that of several cruise lines) is to look around the world for opportunities.  At the moment that means Greece and possibly Croatia. Unlike the US/Canadian governments, the government of Greece is hell bent on getting their country open and is also reaching out to cruise lines to "come on in."   Several airlines (including Delta) are also adding new flights to Greece.  So, if you want to travel this summer Greece should probably be very high on your list.  An alternative to those who want to cruise closer to home are going to be the multitude of cruises embarking from non-US owned Caribbean ports such as the Bahamas, St Maarten, and Barbados.    Otherwise you can sit at or near home and continue to speculate when something positive will happen with the US and/or Canadian governments.  

Speaking of Canada, we just heard from some good Canadian friends who normally live in Puerto Vallarta in the winter and in Calgary during the Spring/Summer.  They are not planning on returning to Canada any time soon since in Mexico, everything is open and life goes on in a relatively normal way.  Back home they would have to deal with quarantine, closures, etc.  Another tale of folks who are simply adapting to current conditions so they can continue to live their free life without being held down by the heavy hand of a few government officials.

Hank

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, zelker said:

They only mention cruises out of Seattle which means minimal exposure to Canada - basically all the roundtrip cruises stop at Victoria vs mainland BC, but might they just dock at Victoria as a Service Call, which would then satisfy that stupid foreign port requirement (with nobody getting off the ship)?  

The order text is restrictive:

"It is prohibited to navigate, moor, anchor or berth in Canadian waters, other than arctic waters, if

• (a) the passenger vessel is certified to carry more than 100 persons as indicated on its inspection certificate or Passenger Ship Safety Certificate issued under the Vessel Certificates Regulations or on an equivalent certificate issued by a foreign government; and
  • (b) the passenger vessel is equipped with berths or cabins for overnight travel by passengers."

source:  https://tc.canada.ca/en/ministerial-orders-interim-orders-directives-directions-response-letters/interim-order-no-5-respecting-passenger-vessel-restrictions-due-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19   Scott. 

Edited by YXU AC*SE

1 hour ago, zelker said:

We are continuing our discussions with government authorities in the United States and Canada, and remain hopeful that an agreement will be reached to allow roundtrip Seattle cruises to Alaska later this summer. 

My understanding of the PVSA is that the interpretation is now that passengers have to be allowed off the ship for it to be considered a stop in a foreign port. 
So, in that case no, it would not meet the requirement. 

14 minutes ago, RuthC said:

My understanding of the PVSA is that the interpretation is now that passengers have to be allowed off the ship for it to be considered a stop in a foreign port. 
So, in that case no, it would not meet the requirement. 

We were not allowed off the ship in Ensenada on Eurodam in March 2020, on the way back to San Diego from Hawaii.  Suppose that could have been a one-off given what was going on in the world at that time and that we were the last sailing on her but even so, they didn't allow us to skip a foreign port.  All of this is conjecture of course as none of us can begin to know how any of this will play out.  Just happy to have both our jabs and feel more protected in our day-to-day lives.

I noticed that in our letter from HAL, it mentioned something about calling alternative voyages.  To be totally honest, we were actually hoping HAL would move us to 2022 with the price protected given that the same voyage  we have booked this year, is 1800 more next summer.   I'm hoping they would allow us to shift to 2022 with the same promo and prices.  Anyone think they will allow that or do we have to wait until they (most likely) cancel us and offer to rebook?  We are on the Jul 10 voyage RT from Seattle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zelker said:

We think you are spot on with your analysis about doing a "service" stop in Victoria.  That would meet the "stupid foreign port requirement" for cruises out of Seattle.  Besides docking in Victoria is usually later in the day and it's quite a walk to get to downtown Victoria so you are not going to be able easily to take any major excursions.  Just do a "touch and go" landing to meet the requirement. 

39 minutes ago, rajkr74 said:

We think you are spot on with your analysis about doing a "service" stop in Victoria.  That would meet the "stupid foreign port requirement" for cruises out of Seattle.  Besides docking in Victoria is usually later in the day and it's quite a walk to get to downtown Victoria so you are not going to be able easily to take any major excursions.  Just do a "touch and go" landing to meet the requirement. 

One: Canada is not allowing the ships to dock.

Two: A technical stop with passengers not being allowed to get off the ship no longer meets the PVSA requirements.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, zelker said:

That "stupid foreign requirement" is a safeguard for Canadian citizens and ship passengers.  Let us not forget that it was and is extremely necessary.  

• Like 1