Move to Included amenities

kdr69

1 minute ago, SNJCruisers said:

With the Princess option, those families and teetotalers like yourself would not be subsidizing a thing.

No, they will be subsidizing me. I'm going full monte. I think my signing bonus might also include a specialty dinner or two, or maybe that was HAL. Hard to keep them straight.

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

No, they will be subsidizing me. I'm going full monte. I think my signing bonus might also include a specialty dinner or two, or maybe that was HAL. Hard to keep them straight.

It's Princess, we have the free dinner on our B2B in April.  

18 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

It's Princess, we have the free dinner on our B2B in April.  

Looks like I have 2 dinners on Princess vs 2 shore excursions on HAL. I may have traded the gratuities for a bigger discount off the price.

50 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Carnival could just come out with a two tier system like Princess.  One is basic, no frills that would satisfy the families.  The second one on Princess is only 40.00 pp per day, which includes gratuities, drink package and wifi.  After factoring out the 14.50 for grats, it's only 25.50 for drinks package and wifi.  This would appeal to even the one or two alcoholic drink per day, but I like my coffee and non alcoholic stuff cruiser.

The OP never said an all inclusive policy, just an all inclusive option.  With the Princess option, those families and teetotalers like yourself would not be subsidizing a thing.

I don’t think it would have the same results on Carnival as it does on Princess.

Due to a younger clientele, more people are likely to use the Internet on Carnival when compared to Princess. On Princess, Internet connectivity (limited amount of minutes) is included for many Platinum and Elite members which a majority (not me) find sufficient. The Internet on Princess also costs very little for them to provide due to the technology used in O3b.

Alcohol costs pennies in the dollar for these cruise lines. Only problem is the volume of packages sold. Many passengers on Princess are cheap and don’t want to pay $60 per person for a two week cruise or longer.

The Princess Plus package (known before as Best Sale Ever) is set at the perfect price point to optimize revenue on Princess. A similar package on Carnival couldn’t be priced at the same level nor should Carnival even offer a similar package. They simply don’t need it. Those sailing on Carnival are there to get drunk, party and enjoy some time away while having fun. Sales for drink packages are high and many purchase the Internet package. There’s no need to bundle and discount.

Edited by xDisconnections

2 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

I don’t think it would have the same results on Carnival as it does on Princess.

Due to a younger clientele, more people are likely to use the Internet on Carnival when compared to Princess. On Princess, Internet connectivity (limited amount of minutes) is included for many elite members which a majority (not me) find sufficient. The Internet on Princess also costs very little for them to provide due to the technology used in O3b.

Alcohol costs pennies in the dollar for these cruise lines. Only problem is the volume of packages sold. Many passengers on Princess are cheap and don’t want to pay $60 per person for a two week cruise or longer.

The Princess Plus package (known before as Best Sale Ever) is set at the perfect price point to optimize revenue on Princess. A similar package on Carnival couldn’t be priced at the same level nor should Carnival even offer a similar package. They simply don’t need it. Those sailing on Carnival are there to get drunk, party and enjoy some time away while having fun. Sales for drink packages are high and many purchase the Internet package. There’s no need to bundle and discount.

I personally don't care about wifi and gladly paid the extra 25.50, or 51 for the two of us to enjoy the drink package on Princess.  It'll be our first time on Princess and assuming we like it will be the  tipping point to choose them for our cruise/ land package for Alaska for summer of 2023 or 2024.

I'm surprised you mentioned that many passengers on Princess are cheap, because I have found that to be true with the frugal Carnival cruiser who tends to drive to the embarkation ports and is too cheap to own a passport since they will more than likely never need it and will cruise with ID and birth certificate.

I've constantly got the wifi pkg OR the drinks pkg offered. 45 pp per day extra it says, though when I drink down that's a price from florida, but it gives you a idea. Based on 2 in the cabin is my issue as I'm solo so its 90 pp per day extra. That's a heck of a lot extra for wifi!!! But I get a email for the wifi pkg every time it restarts. Current offer is good thru the end of may. 

They need to keep offering the base price or the prices for solos will be so high they will go elsewhere where they get better pricing. I assumed everyone got the wifi and drinks offers. 

20210426_000650699.jpeg

15 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Due to a younger clientele, more people are likely to use the Internet on Carnival when compared to Princess. On Princess, Internet connectivity (limited amount of minutes) is included for many Platinum and Elite members which a majority (not me) find sufficient. The Internet on Princess also costs very little for them to provide due to the technology used in O3b.

Aren't all Princess ships going to have MedallionNet when cruising restarts?

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

Aren't all Princess ships going to have MedallionNet when cruising restarts?

They have stated all ships with utilize Ocean Medallion which leads to a safe assumption of MedallionNet being onboard. Many ships prior to the suspension of operations were already equipped with MedallionNet even if they didn’t have the full OM.

3 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

I'm surprised you mentioned that many passengers on Princess are cheap, because I have found that to be true with the frugal Carnival cruiser who tends to drive to the embarkation ports and is too cheap to own a passport since they will more than likely never need it and will cruise with ID and birth certificate.

Maybe cheap isnt the best word. Think of those who do early bird buffets in florida. A older crowd with less kids. I started off with princess and liked them just fine.

Tea time event was popular and I could find a bridge game. Maybe more as indicated that age group isnt necessarily as big on getting drunk. 

Princess always used to have a blue carpet on one side and pink on the other where the cabins were to indicate starboard or port. I kinda liked that. Like on carnival I can listen to the elevator dings and know if the elevatormis going up or down. It's been a while since my last cruise is it 2 dings down and one ding up on carnival. Comes in handy in a crowd after the theater let's out.

I liked princess. But liked the others I did too. Wish they still went out of Galveston. 

7 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

I personally don't care about wifi and gladly paid the extra 25.50, or 51 for the two of us to enjoy the drink package on Princess.  It'll be our first time on Princess and assuming we like it will be the  tipping point to choose them for our cruise/ land package for Alaska for summer of 2023 or 2024.

If you’re considering Alaska, just book Princess. Nobody does it better than Princess and HAL.

On Carnival, you find the budget focused traveler. On Princess, it’s a bit different but you won’t notice it until you’re a few cruises in with them. The disposable income is there but, well, you’ll see.

6 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

I find there are two classes of passengers on Princess - the old guard who probably still resent Carnival buying the line and the toddlers, many of whom have graduated from other cruise lines. The old guard does a pretty good job of tolerating the upstarts. I think the old guard gets the last laugh when the old salts with the most cruise days get some really good extra stuff the standard Elites don't.

17 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've constantly got the wifi pkg OR the drinks pkg offered. 45 pp per day extra it says, though when I drink down that's a price from florida, but it gives you a idea. Based on 2 in the cabin is my issue as I'm solo so its 90 pp per day extra. That's a heck of a lot extra for wifi!!! But I get a email for the wifi pkg every time it restarts. Current offer is good thru the end of may. 

They need to keep offering the base price or the prices for solos will be so high they will go elsewhere where they get better pricing. I assumed everyone got the wifi and drinks offers. 

20210426_000650699.jpeg

Been getting the LU1 wifi offer ever since they stopped sending me the RU9 for Cheers.  Never made the cut for RU1-2-3 and probably never will.

11 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

If you’re considering Alaska, just book Princess. Nobody does it better than Princess and HAL.

On Carnival, you find the budget focused traveler. On Princess, it’s a bit different but you won’t notice it until you’re a few cruises in with them. The disposable income is there but, well, you’ll see.

I was impressed with the little bit of research I did about the train that takes you from the ship right to the lodge for the continuation of the land based portion of the trip.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SNJCruisers said:

I was impressed with the little bit of research I did about the train that takes you from the ship right to the lodge for the continuation of the land based portion of the trip.

It’s pretty cool and well planned. You’ll have a great time. Welcome to Princess.

People who stay loyal to royal are because of the free drinks imo. Diamond starts diamond lounge. I think diamond plus starts free wine to your cabin. By the time you hit pinnacle you get pretty much all perks free, even internet. All the suite perks. 3 bottles of wine delivered. You can go to the suite lounge or even the CK which is the suite kitchen on oasis class. Half way to pinnacle there are a couple perks, diamond plus plus? Like 50% off solo supplement. A biggie, dont remember what else. Diamond plus starts buy 1 get 1 free on pay restaurants. With so much free booze given out idk how many buy the drink pkg. I see some post they still buy it for convenience. 

Lots of talk of changes when cruises resume, like drink coupons all day, up to 6 for pinns, 5 for diamond up, but all day anywhere. Singapore is doing this already. See how first cruises restart. I dodnt think its other stuff why people are loyal to royal it's all the free booze.

There were changes posted then removed but included not delivering the free wine and a month later people are still up in arms. Rcl pinns gets great perks. I'd only get there if I lived right by a port. Hoping to some day.

9 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Been getting the LU1 wifi offer ever since they stopped sending me the RU9 for Cheers.  Never made the cut for RU1-2-3 and probably never will.

I see I finally have it, but I thought ru3 was the best? I do have it but for solo still not worth it to me.

9 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

It’s pretty cool and well planned. You’ll have a great time. Welcome to Princess.

We had reservations on the Enchanted for this past January and were planning on flipping it to a 10 day on the same ship for next March in the Caribbean.  Within 3 days, the prices jumped substantially before I could get things locked down, so now we're doing our first B2B in the Mexican Riviera and then the West coast.  Looking forward to it.

11 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I see I finally have it, but I thought ru3 was the best? I do have it but for solo still not worth it to me.

It was posted that some had gotten the RU1 and it only cost them 35 pp for a 7 day cruise.

3 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

It was posted that some had gotten the RU1 and it only cost them 35 pp for a 7 day cruise.

The best I saw was about $70 total per day more. I've priced a few out. I still dont drink that much or even daily.

On 4/22/2021 at 11:59 AM, kdr69 said:

With Carnival Corp brands Princess including their Drinks, WiFi and gratuities in their pricing and now Holland America announcing their "Have it All" promotion with  shore excursions, drink packages, specialty dining and WiFi included in the cruise price at 50% off do you think Carnival will follow suit with a similar promotion and could this be a move towards an "all-inclusive" pricing strategy?  I personally wouldnt mind an all in price but at the same time i understand not everyone needs all the add-ons.

Everything that we are interested in is already included in the price. I have no real interest in an "all inclusive price" that includes paying for things that we don't need or want. So, if it's an option I wouldn't mind but if it's the only choice then I might (depending on what was offered, of course).

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 7:52 PM, Sagittarius traveler said:

I don't drink but the milkshakes and coffee would be nice just dont drink alcohol

This is why I wish Carnival had an additional option to get specialty coffee and milkshakes, without having to buy the alcohol package. MY DH doesn't drink and I only lightly drink so Cheers would be a waste of money for us, but we would both like a package that included sodas, milkshakes, and coffees.

11 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

This is why I wish Carnival had an additional option to get specialty coffee and milkshakes, without having to buy the alcohol package. MY DH doesn't drink and I only lightly drink so Cheers would be a waste of money for us, but we would both like a package that included sodas, milkshakes, and coffees.

Carnival used to have a coffee card, and I imaging discontinued it because they weren't getting the desired return.

A number of people have asked for a Cheers lite program, too. But really, to make it worthwhile for Carnival, they would have to sell it for more than people would be willing to pay.

Carnival can make money off of Cheers knowing that most people aren't going to slam 15 drinks a day. If Carnival had a program where most of the people are going to take full advantage of it, the margins aren't there.

27 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Carnival used to have a coffee card, and I imaging discontinued it because they weren't getting the desired return.

A number of people have asked for a Cheers lite program, too. But really, to make it worthwhile for Carnival, they would have to sell it for more than people would be willing to pay.

Carnival can make money off of Cheers knowing that most people aren't going to slam 15 drinks a day. If Carnival had a program where most of the people are going to take full advantage of it, the margins aren't there.

Exactly. They don't sell the package to save us money, but to make them money.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Exactly. They don't sell the package to save us money, but to make them money.

And disguised these revenue optimization strategies very well as doing the passenger the favor 🙂 

• Like 1