Nowegian Covid 19 testing???

grnsunset

46 minutes ago, tumblew467 said:

I understand that, I posted that  as well. post 10 

However , like some have said some countries require the PCR. So I guess they are cruising to countries that would accept the antigen verses the PCR. But as Birdtravel stated she is going to Bahamas and they require a PCR. Now you can get that done here prior to flying to the Bahamas. But  flying back to the US do you need a PCR once you disembark? Or will the antigen test that NCL is doing going to be accepted on disembarkation for entry back. 

The USA requires a PCR test for entry on an international flight.  I doubt there are many countries permitting an antigen test.

Edited by njhorseman

12 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The USA requires a PCR test for entry on an international flight.  I doubt there are many countries permitting an antigen test.

Valid test for air entry to US

• Rapid antigen test
• Viral antigen test
• Also, could be noted as Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay§, Antigen
Chemiluminescence Immunoassay§, or Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

• Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)
• Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
• Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)
• Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA)
• Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
• Isothermal amplification
• Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
• Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Valid test for air entry to US

• Rapid antigen test
• Viral antigen test
• Also, could be noted as Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay§, Antigen
Chemiluminescence Immunoassay§, or Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

• Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)
• Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
• Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)
• Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA)
• Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
• Isothermal amplification
• Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
• Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

Obviously I didn't read the order carefully enough. Thanks for pointing that out.

This is not going to end. Canada inks deal with Pfizer for millions of covid vaccines through 2024. More and more restrictions.

Alternate medical views on how this has been handled continue to be censored and silenced. No debate whatsoever. No discussion about early treatment aimed at lessening the likelihood of hospitalization. I have yet to hear discussion about keeping our immune systems strong. I have yet to hear...have a pulse oximeter on hand and if you feel unwell, check your oxygen levels twice a day to monitor for silent hypoxia.

Instead it's absolutely nothing but fear inducing... you're going to get really sick and perhaps die so get your vaccine. This just doesn't pass as my definition of informed consent in regards to choosing to get an injection.

Promoting health and wellness is empowering. Heaven forbid if we talked about that daily! It apparently makes sense for endless lineups of citizens to have a long swab inserted up their nose to see if they're sick.

Edited by winterbliss
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, tumblew467 said:

I understand that, I posted that  as well. post 10 

However , like some have said some countries require the PCR. So I guess they are cruising to countries that would accept the antigen verses the PCR. But as Birdtravel stated she is going to Bahamas and they require a PCR. Now you can get that done here prior to flying to the Bahamas. But  flying back to the US do you need a PCR once you disembark? Or will the antigen test that NCL is doing going to be accepted on disembarkation for entry back. 

The Bahamian government came out earlier this week and announced that fully vaccinated international travelers will not be required to provide the PCR test for entry into the country.  Unvaccinated persons will still need to.  The embarkation antigen test will still be required at the cruise port.

The US allows for a negative antigen test to re-enter the country:

"CDC requires all air passengers two years of age or older coming to the United States, including U.S. citizens, to present a negative COVID-19 test result from a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT) or antigen test (“viral test”) conducted no more than 3 days before their flight's departure."

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2021 at 10:21 AM, grnsunset said:

They just kept replying to "Book Now" before prices go up.. Not booking anything until I know their plan.   Anybody got thoughts. Thanks

Why not book to lock in lower prices and promos and then cancel if/when you find out their real testing plan and find it unacceptable?

Edited by CaptainWoody
  • Like 2

On 4/24/2021 at 6:19 AM, winterbliss said:

Instead it's absolutely nothing but fear inducing... you're going to get really sick and perhaps die so get your vaccine. This just doesn't pass as my definition of informed consent in regards to choosing to get an injection.

And you post is mostly 'fear inducing' allegations about the vaccines.  

And, please don't tell me about the Nuremburg Code requiring informed consent.  That has never been made part of US law either by legislation of by treaty.

• Like 6

How much time will these tests take up at embarkation point at cruise terminals?

Will guests have to arrive early in time for the tests before sail time?

The higher your latitude level , the quicker you get through?

I pray they dont do the antigen test. Hawaii is extremely strjct and does not accept the antigen test. The Antigen tests are not reliable.Those 2 Celebrity passengers were put through such anxiety for no reason. They both had 2 Antigen tests and both came back positive, then they did the 48 hour PCR which was negative. They never had a positive Covid result, the Antigen tests gave false positives. The media ran with it like we knew they would, but never updated that those passengers. Never had Covid to begin with.The cruiselines will use the antigen tests because they are cheap, if my Hawaii NCL cruise in November requires the Antigen test i will cancel, no way would i be worried about quarantine if that unreliable test was given and showed positive. 

• Like 1

The rate of false positive antigen tests are alarming. Everyone with a cruise booked where antigen testing is used should be aware of the risk.  They use antigen because it’s easier and cheaper.

Unfortunately, most ships do not have PCR lab tests onboard. Currently Viking does and I read that rcl will get them, but I can find nothing in writing where ncl is planning to add the PCR labs onboard. If someone can find this, please link. 

Personally, at this time, I would never sail on a ship that does not have PCR testing ability to back up antigen test results. Antigen tests are reliable for negative results, but if you are unfortunate enough to draw one of many false positive you will be quarantined until you can be removed from the ship or produce a negative result. If the ship has a PCR lab onboard, your false-positive test can be double checked and immediately corrected. You could be quarantined until the next port (which could be days) without the ability to verify a false positive. 

This is taken directly from the FDA site and was part of a warning given regarding antigen testing: 

D547AC62-5991-4C0A-956B-626C340CF2F0.jpeg

Edited by BermudaBound2014

5 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

Hopefully after a few cruises they'll drop the testing and just require the proof of vaccination.

That makes sense to me, but there is a large percentage of people who believe we need to keep testing to stay safe. Imo - we should test vaccinated guests only when they have symptoms but I suspect that approach may be too logical for this circus. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

That makes sense to me, but there is a large percentage of people who believe we need to keep testing to stay safe. Imo - we should test vaccinated guests only when they have symptoms but I suspect that approach may be too logical for this circus. 

I hope by the time we cruise in October this has settled down.  What do we have to do, self quarantine ourselves 5 days before the cruise so we don't test positive at the port?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sugcarol said:

They both had 2 Antigen tests and both came back positive, then they did the 48 hour PCR which was negative. They never had a positive Covid result, the Antigen tests gave false positives. The media ran with it like we knew they would, but never updated that those passengers. Never had Covid to begin with.The cruiselines will use the antigen tests because they are cheap, if my Hawaii NCL cruise in November requires the Antigen test i will cancel, no way would i be worried about quarantine if that unreliable test was given and showed positive. 

Can you please link to any news story backing your claims that the guests were actually false-positive after-all?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am taking the Greek Isles cruise the end of September, and according to the American Airlines site, coming back from Greece  "Travelers must have an original printed or electronic negative COVID-19 viral test result (NAAT: RT-PCR, RT-LAMP, TMA, NEAR, HDA, or Antigen: Rapid). The test must be performed a maximum of 3 days before the first scheduled departure time in the flight itinerary. This requirement applies to all travelers, including US citizens, residents, and transit travelers, as well as travelers who have been vaccinated."  Therefore, if NCL does the Antigen: Rapid test within 36 hours of the end of the cruise I should be good.  

On 4/22/2021 at 4:45 PM, njhorseman said:

I'm reading about a lot of false negative results with this test, ugh. I've got issues so I was excited for a fully vaxed cruise. I know it's not a 100% and there are chances of catching it in port.

Per the link NCL is doing antigen testing, which as of now wouldn't be acceptable to many...maybe almost every country...as adequate evidence of being COVID free. Normally PCR testing is mandated.

Note the last sentence: "Guests are also responsible for complying with all local health and safety requirements which may include additional testing."

By the way here's the link to the NCL US/Canada web page as opposed to a European page:

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe?intcmp=pdt_sl_SAILSAFE

We have one week before final payment on a Greek isle cruise. We are fully vaccinated US citizens that can fly to Greece with just our vaccination card and a passport. But, to get back to the US, we need to have a negative COVID test. What happens if we have a false positive? Where do we stay? How do we rebook plane tickets home? How long are we required to stay? The rapid test is not reliable. If NCL does not offer the PCR test on the ship, with enough time for results to come back, we would need to stay in Greece at least an additional day (I think the airport PCR comes back in 24 hours at the cost of 60 euros). Please share your thoughts…..has anyone read or heard of a false positive returning  to the US? I think that you can be random tested upon entry into Greece, but guarantee test to come back home! Thanks for helping decide about final payment! 

This is interesting...and I wonder if NCL will follow suit.

Royal Caribbean is requiring unvaccinated passengers to obtain travel insurance if sailing from Florida.  Also, vaccinated passengers are exempt from testing.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2787668-new-protocols-for-august-symphony-with-insurance-requirement-if-unvaccinated/

Favoritevacation.  I can’t help you decide if you should make your final payment. But you should read the CDC’s information on the requirement for CoVID 19 testing.  We are using the Antigen test for our reentry in August from Ireland. We chose a travel clinic we found  from a list on the US Embassy’s website  in Dublin. I emailed the clinic and although they can’t guarantee what the US will want at any given date, they did say they are testing Americans using the Antigen test,  “all week long”.  

Here is a recent study

https://www.cochrane.org/CD013705/INFECTN_how-accurate-are-rapid-tests-diagnosing-covid-19

The CDC website does state you could be required to quarantine or isolate and your return  trip could be delayed.  Your airline’s  passenger ready page should have a link.  You should also be able to upload your test and vaccine documents, depend on the airline.  

Have a back up plan, including a hotel in mind, perhaps near the airport as most airport offer  testing On site or near by.  Many airlines  are waiving change fees, but fares would most certainly be higher. However, remember US airlines took a lot of US federal funds and should be obligated to give consideration.  I would mention  that if it becomes necessary.  You did not say which airline you are using. 

I would  also look at these four things in the countries you are scheduled to visit.  What is the vaccination rate,  the infection rate,  how prevalent is the delta variant and how serious is the countries’ approach to containment.  Use local news to get this information.  Also maybe arrange your on board testing in time to get a repeat test.   So yes, have a back up plan.  Be prepared to fund all of this and accept the changes if necessary.  Otherwise, you may  want to consider a different vacation this year. 

Good luck!