Jump to content

Thoughts on the Jewel?


Recommended Posts

Thanks to all for the encouragement!!! We are looking at an aft cabin (deck 7 or 8), and looking forward to the view and the larger balcony. If anyone has experience in those cabins and wants to point out any to avoid, I'd be interested.

Again, really appreciate the feedback (and that it was positive)!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, killsport said:

Thanks to all for the encouragement!!! We are looking at an aft cabin (deck 7 or 8), and looking forward to the view and the larger balcony. If anyone has experience in those cabins and wants to point out any to avoid, I'd be interested.

Again, really appreciate the feedback (and that it was positive)!

 

We have stayed in 7172, which is a corner aft.  It is a longer, narrow balcony.  You also hear the bass of the music from the lounge below at night, not terribly loud, but you do hear it.  I would sail in this cabin again if it was the only aft available as it wasn't too bad.  The only other issue was, we got flooded due to a bad storm and a faulty gasket on the slider doors,  That should be fixed by now as we sailed that cabin many years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

 

We have stayed in 7172, which is a corner aft.  It is a longer, narrow balcony.  You also hear the bass of the music from the lounge below at night, not terribly loud, but you do hear it.  I would sail in this cabin again if it was the only aft available as it wasn't too bad.  The only other issue was, we got flooded due to a bad storm and a faulty gasket on the slider doors,  That should be fixed by now as we sailed that cabin many years ago.

 

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but in my experience, the music has been moved to the centrum for the most part. The Safari/Colony Lounge was used for DL overflow most nights, followed by Karaoke, Quest, etc. I don't ever recall late night entertainment in that space. Perhaps that is because I was on longer sailings with less of a "party" demographic?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, MiniChunks said:

 

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but in my experience, the music has been moved to the centrum for the most part. The Safari/Colony Lounge was used for DL overflow most nights, followed by Karaoke, Quest, etc. I don't ever recall late night entertainment in that space. Perhaps that is because I was on longer sailings with less of a "party" demographic?

 

DL overflow in my experience has been in the VCL not down in Safari/Colony Lounge.  

 

As far as entertainment in the Safari Lounge, Karaoke and Quest both have music that is blasted from speakers on the stage directly below 7172.  As I said, you just hear the bass, not the music so much that you can sing along, just the thump.  Usually stopped around 11 or midnight.  Just sharing what we experienced.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

 

DL overflow in my experience has been in the VCL not down in Safari/Colony Lounge.  

 

As far as entertainment in the Safari Lounge, Karaoke and Quest both have music that is blasted from speakers on the stage directly below 7172.  As I said, you just hear the bass, not the music so much that you can sing along, just the thump.  Usually stopped around 11 or midnight.  Just sharing what we experienced.

On Radiance in Australia for circumnavigation DL overflow was in the Safari Lounge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

 

DL overflow in my experience has been in the VCL not down in Safari/Colony Lounge.  

 

As far as entertainment in the Safari Lounge, Karaoke and Quest both have music that is blasted from speakers on the stage directly below 7172.  As I said, you just hear the bass, not the music so much that you can sing along, just the thump.  Usually stopped around 11 or midnight.  Just sharing what we experienced.

 

I wasn't questioning, but looking for details that could be happening on different itineraries. It's good to know that loud bass is a possibility in those cabins. It seems that the longer cruises, ones where there are likely to be higher numbers of diamond and up cruisers, they use the safari for DL overflow. Perhaps that changes the nightly function of that space. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, killsport said:

Thanks to all for the encouragement!!! We are looking at an aft cabin (deck 7 or 8), and looking forward to the view and the larger balcony. If anyone has experience in those cabins and wants to point out any to avoid, I'd be interested.

Again, really appreciate the feedback (and that it was positive)!

We had 7676 Aft cabin on our Suez Canal cruise and it was a good cabin. If you're out beyond the overhang the balconies above can see you but that's not any issue. You can sit closer to cabin door if you don't want to been seen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

 

DL overflow in my experience has been in the VCL not down in Safari/Colony Lounge.  

 

As far as entertainment in the Safari Lounge, Karaoke and Quest both have music that is blasted from speakers on the stage directly below 7172.  As I said, you just hear the bass, not the music so much that you can sing along, just the thump.  Usually stopped around 11 or midnight.  Just sharing what we experienced.

That's interesting. We had 7676 and never heard any music from anywhere during our 16 night suez Canal cruise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We jumped on jewel as soon as the cypress cruises where announced first time in an aft Js 1100 anyone been in this cabin have looked on u tube but the personal touch would be appreciated 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, nicben said:

We jumped on jewel as soon as the cypress cruises where announced first time in an aft Js 1100 anyone been in this cabin have looked on u tube but the personal touch would be appreciated 

 

We have stayed in 1100 too and love that cabin.  That balcony is twice as deep as the one we had on 7172.  We never had issues with noise from the outside area above, though others have complained about it.  We loved that cabin and balcony on Radiance in Alaska.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is my favorite class of ship!!  We absolutely love it.  We always go for a Grand Suite and so get the Concierge Lounge perks so that would be my advice - go for a Grand Suite or higher.  Categories below that do not get the Concierge Lounge access.  Bar service and food are terrific there and it's so much nicer and quieter than the Diamond Lounge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, nicben said:

We jumped on jewel as soon as the cypress cruises where announced first time in an aft Js 1100 anyone been in this cabin have looked on u tube but the personal touch would be appreciated 

We've been in the #1100 a few times on the Radiance class ships...That particular cabin books quickly...you do know it has it's own fan base...Enjoy !!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

 

We have stayed in 7172, which is a corner aft.  It is a longer, narrow balcony.  You also hear the bass of the music from the lounge below at night, not terribly loud, but you do hear it.  I would sail in this cabin again if it was the only aft available as it wasn't too bad.  The only other issue was, we got flooded due to a bad storm and a faulty gasket on the slider doors,  That should be fixed by now as we sailed that cabin many years ago.

We love the aft balconies on Jewel and even better if you can get a corner aft, having said that we stayed in 7172 once and our sons were next door. 7172 is such a narrow balcony and doesn't feed around the corner like those above it, that we actually preferred their balcony.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hiya folks we’ve done Jewel once before and loved it (even though our preference is oasis class ships generally - a wee bit different!).... we are booked on Jewel for 5 cruises now over the next 16 months including managing to grab 1600 aft grand suite twice this summer/ early autumn from Cyprus! We couldn’t believe it wasn’t much more than a junior suite.... 

 

It partly makes up for our continued grieving for loss of our May 2020 2 bed aft grand suite caribbean repo cruise including full drinks package on Adventure which we got at an absolute steal of a price..... which was cancelled right at start of the pandemic...... not that we are bitter and twisted about that one....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We're booked on the Jewel for the upcoming October 2nd Greek trip. Was able to book an Owners Suite for a price we were comfortable with, so our first time with RCC and we're going nearly all-in. All this positive feedback on the Jewel is definitely encouraging.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Several posters have said there is no promenade deck and I either don't understand what that is or they've changed something since my 14 night TA. Isn't the promenade deck where you can walk or sit closer to the water? Usually with forward and aft doors off the center shops/venues? I spent a lot of time enjoying the peace and quiet out there, and doing many laps every day. On Jewel you can go out on the helipad too which is fun.

 

The only downside of this class of ship is noise from the Centrum area and smoke which wafts out of the open casino entry. The noise is easy to avoid by cabin choice. The smoke not so much if you are very sensitive to it.

 

The open air seating area in the back of the Windjammer is a plus. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

Several posters have said there is no promenade deck and I either don't understand what that is or they've changed something since my 14 night TA. Isn't the promenade deck where you can walk or sit closer to the water? Usually with forward and aft doors off the center shops/venues? I spent a lot of time enjoying the peace and quiet out there, and doing many laps every day. On Jewel you can go out on the helipad too which is fun.

 

The only downside of this class of ship is noise from the Centrum area and smoke which wafts out of the open casino entry. The noise is easy to avoid by cabin choice. The smoke not so much if you are very sensitive to it.

 

The open air seating area in the back of the Windjammer is a plus. 

 

People are referring to the Royal Promenade, the inside mall type area, not the outside promenade deck.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

 

People are referring to the Royal Promenade, the inside mall type area, not the outside promenade deck.  

Ohhh. Yes, it's a different setup. Same basic stores but not the mall style.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jewel is a lovely ship. If you know the room layout of the 10th deck, you can get a quiet room.

I like the solarium being more enclosed , when the roof is opened the stack smoke can blow down into it.

...............................

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to follow up on this topic, we booked a Christmas Cruise on Jewel. We were able to get an aft balcony on deck 8 at a decent price (all relative). It will be weird not to have a drink package included, but the Diamond happy hour / drink credits (via our Celebrity status) will be fine. As we "mature" we are a little lighter on our consumption 😉

 

Again, my many thanks to all those who posted and reassured me that it was a good ship. 

 

With only three specialty restaurants (Chops, Izumi, and Giovanni's), I can't see getting the unlimited dining package. I'm sure some of the regular dining room meals are quite enjoyable. Maybe we just take our chances on a single restaurant, or get the 3-night package. I remember on Celebrity there were many times that they were offering special prices if you ate at a slow restaurant that night. Does Royal also do that? Does anyone have any strong leanings one way or another on the dining packages? Right now it seems to be "regular" price - $189/pp for the week for unlimited or $89 for the 3-night package.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have sailed on Jewel twice both Transatlantics, (November 2017 & May 2018), we had JS cabins for both.    Our November cruise we were in 1094, and I would suggest NOT to book this cabin, because it is right below the prep area for the Windjammer, and the noise from above is constant all day & night.   We are not light sleepers, in fact I have a hearing disability, but the noise was unbearable, it was like a train on a railway track, with the carts trundling across the floor.     We did eventually go to guest services, and they eventually allowed us to use 1054 to sleep in at night, so we ended up with 2 cabins.  On our TA the following May we were in a cabin below the pool deck on the opposite side of the ship, and we had no problems with that cabin.    Our friends that we sailed with, also had JS cabins for both sailings, and they were in 1040 or 1042 for the November sailing and they had the aft cabin 1100 for the May sailing, they met the couple who were in 1100 in November, and they allowed them to view the cabin, and they had a hammock rigged on the balcony, both of these cabins had no noise issues.

 

Apart from the cabin issue, we enjoyed our 2 trips on Jewel, and as has been mentioned already, on both trips they used the Safari Lounge for the Diamond Hours, and then later in the evening for Karaoke, Quest etc, and on one trip they even laid out a chocolate buffet in the Safari Club on one evening.   

We would sail on Jewel again, the Captain (Dustin) and staff were a great crew 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...