Please, just require passengers to be vaccinated so we can get back to sea.

djjoe

27 minutes ago, mianmike said:

Unfortunately we, the vaccinated, don't live in our own personal immunity bubble.  This virus is contagious and mutates.  Until we reach herd immunity, it's akin to saying the police should stop trying to control people; a drunk driver should be able to drive with impunity as people have a choice to buy a vehicle with air bags or "they can stay at home hiding in their basement."  

Umm....you do realize that's exactly what a vaccine/immunization does...create your "own personal immunity bubble".

I mean if you don't have one now, why did you bother with the vax in the first place?

• Like 1

Remember when the head of the CDC came out and indicated that she had a feeling of impending doom about covid and then the next day said that vaccinated people couldn't get or transmit the virus and then the next day someone at the CDC said she essentially misspoke and the concern were for variants...or some such thing? Well check out this from the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health Expert Insights, this relates to the head of CDC's positive comments on vaccinated people.  When they say follow the science... I hope they follow this science. 

When you read this you realize that vaccinated people only need to wear masks and socially distance...because in the USUAL public setting you can't tell who is vaccinated and who is not... Sooooo if everyone on the ship is vaccinated and you can not get or give the virus... you shouldn't need to do either. I am not sure even having unvaccinated under 18 makes a difference... seems to me the issue there is their ability to give it to each other....

new data on covid transmission by vaccinated individuals

Edited by kearney
  • Like 1

I figure a cruise company and should be able to decide to whom they provide services, as long as no denial of services violate laws where they operating.  If they want to have a cruise for vaccinated folks only, that is their right.  If they want to provide a cruise for non-vaccinated people only, that is their right.  After all the purpose of a cruise company is not provide cruises, it is to make money for shareholders.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, djjoe said:

I'll probably get flamed for this post, but here goes. The Royal Caribbean cruises outside of the USA require the vaccine, why can't we. I'm tired of hearing all the complaints that the CDC is holding up the process. Too many Americans are delaying the process. I'm tired of getting daily e-mails from the cruise line asking us to contact our congressman, CDC, etc. We have cruised over 100 times on Royal, Celebrity and NCL, so I understand that social distancing, better ventilation, masks, etc. aren't really going to work especially on older ships.  I know folks that will never get the vaccine and think the government is taking their rights away. We have been vaccinated, what about our rights and a chance to get back aboard a ship without having to fly to Bermuda, Bahamas, etc. Royal plans to resume in July. Right now most states are offering the vaccine to anyone over 16 that wants it. By summer there's no reason why we can't get back to sea feeling comfortable aboard a ship knowing that all guests are fully vaccinated.

DW and I are vaccinated--2nd shot 12 days ago.  I agree with you 100%

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I don't see an issue with taking baby steps... start out with vaccinated people and once vaccine levels get to a critical level...then open it up to everyone.. For me the issue is that the definition of heard immunity seems to change...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

But 1 case of Covid will be all it will take to end the cruise and the lines know it so masks will be mandated forever by the CDC. Cruise lines will lie about Covid outbreak and the CDC knows it. Masks will cause too much trouble onboard including mass bans of passengers and murders and  and lawsuits for millions or even billions so they won't be enforced even in the medium term never mind the longer term. The CDC know that as well. 

The CDC will probably revoke the VSP moving forward. I don't think they have a choice.

If masks are forever for deadly viruses, how come we have not been wearing masks for 100 years since the 1918 Spanish Flu? How come we are not wearing masks from the Sars outbreak? 

Do you think that there weren't skeptical people when the Polio vaccine was introduced? How about Small Pox? Yet Small Pox has been eradicated. We are at close to eradication for many of history's deadly diseases due to vaccines.  We will get to herd immunity with Covid, even if we have to take a booster every year for variants until we get to global herd immunity.

Murders?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

You will never get to 75% to put it differently. Be lucky to get above 60% I think. Herd immunity figure keeps moving and does not exist anyway Brazil has proven that.

My county just announced we are at 75% 1st shots for those eligible.  Our school districts are holding mass clinics next week for the 16 - 18 year olds. It was announced today and the appointments are already almost gone. 

So yes, we are already at 75% and still going strong. Your pessimism is not based in actual reality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Hate to tell you, but 50% plus have received at least first shot

"About 40% of Americans have received at least one shot, CDC data shows, and roughly 1 in 4 are fully vaccinated."

I'm going to guess you are not including children in what you cite.

1 hour ago, boatseller said:

I mean if you don't have one now, why did you bother with the vax in the first place?

Why did I get vaccinated?  Selfishly I wanted to protect myself, family and friends.  I want life to get back to normal ASAP.  But additionally, as a contributing member of the human race I'm doing my part to help stifle the virus by educating myself, getting the vaccine, wearing a mask in public settings, washing my hands frequently, keeping my distance from strangers etc..  I'm tired of this virus and I want it to end.  I'm willing to be inconvenienced for a short time and to do my part so that I'm not the host the virus uses to mutate and defeat the vaccines. 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There's also not enough pressure to get the cruise lines going again.  They're not considered "essential" like airlines are (due to business travel).  I have a feeling that there will be increasing pressure to make cruising more of a priority.  Hear me out:

1.) The economy: Like it or not, cruising brings in MILLIONS of dollars for the US.  Every time we port, we have to pay a fee, not just per ship, but PER HEAD.  This can amount to HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS in lost revenue that gets paid directly to the government...PER WEEK!  

2.) Cruise lines support local businesses when we shop for souvenirs, helping to bring back the local economy.

3.) Cruising often brings business to hotels and airlines.  Many people fly in the day before a cruise (or a few days) and/or stay in town for a few days after the cruise.  This means that people would need a way to get back home and a place to sleep for a few nights.

4.) Agriculture: Cruise lines support the local agriculture whenever they port and restock the ships.  Where do you think all the ingredients come from for the delicious meals?

5.) Pent-up demand: Cruises are actually filling up right and left for 2022, so rather than being DISCOURAGED from cruising, many people want to travel, which means the cruise industry could be quite lucrative. 

So, like it or not, cruising WILL become ESSENTIAL to bringing back the economy!

Just now, mianmike said:

Yes, unfortunately this virus is much more deadly than your run of the mill virus. 

When you change the rules on how you count deaths, yes.

When the disease predominantly affects people already at the end of their expected lifespan, yes

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

When you change the rules on how you count deaths, yes.

Do you ever wonder how or why all the world's countries collaborated and agreed to change the rules to count covid deaths?  When in doing so destroyed their economies.  Makes no sense. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

They reckon the vaccine uptake figures are dropping down now. I really hope you get there but you might not. At least not without "forcing" people. If it comes to a choice between getting the vaccine and going to college or not going college at all for example what do you think people will do.

California State Universities, Stanford and The UC system will all require vaccination of faculty, staff and students. 

https://www2.calstate.edu/csu-system/news/Pages/CSU-COVID-Vax-Requirement-FDA-Approval.aspx

• Like 5

7 hours ago, djjoe said:

I'll probably get flamed for this post, but here goes. The Royal Caribbean cruises outside of the USA require the vaccine, why can't we. I'm tired of hearing all the complaints that the CDC is holding up the process. Too many Americans are delaying the process. I'm tired of getting daily e-mails from the cruise line asking us to contact our congressman, CDC, etc. We have cruised over 100 times on Royal, Celebrity and NCL, so I understand that social distancing, better ventilation, masks, etc. aren't really going to work especially on older ships.  I know folks that will never get the vaccine and think the government is taking their rights away. We have been vaccinated, what about our rights and a chance to get back aboard a ship without having to fly to Bermuda, Bahamas, etc. Royal plans to resume in July. Right now most states are offering the vaccine to anyone over 16 that wants it. By summer there's no reason why we can't get back to sea feeling comfortable aboard a ship knowing that all guests are fully vaccinated.

So then who do you think is holding up the process if not the CDC? The CDC can state tomorrow that cruising will resume if you are vaccinated. RCL can follow like they have in in other countries. Period! 

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

When the disease predominantly affects people already at the end of their expected lifespan, yes

Let me paraphrase what you are saying...

"Who cares that they died?  So what if they were loved by children and grandchildren... so what if they lost out on 5 or ten or more years to enjoy their lives with those they loved... their lives meant nothing... they were going to die anyways...  I care about me and me alone."

Yes, that's harsh, but that's what you seem to be saying.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, RoyalC said:

So then who do you think is holding up the process if not the CDC? The CDC can state tomorrow that cruising will resume if you are vaccinated. RCL can follow like they have in in other countries. Period! 

It's actually a combination of the CDC and the cruise lines.  The CDC probably has not been as responsive as they need to be and the cruise lines have not done anything other than complain about how hard it is to meet the requirements under the CSO.  The CDC has had much bigger fish to fry with vaccine distribution and the continuing pandemic, but the cruise lines don't really have an excuse. The CDC could state that a vaccine mandate would help get cruising restarted in the US, but there are two problems with that: (1) only one of the three major lines (NCL) has committed to vaccinated sailings.  Royal has not committed to them for US sailings; and, (2) the Governor of Florida has said that his ban on vaccine mandates extends to the cruise lines.  So even if they did commit, they purportedly could not impose them.  That being said, the Governor's ban is not enforceable against the cruise lines, but that doesn't stop him from putting a wrench in things.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

There's also not enough pressure to get the cruise lines going again.  They're not considered "essential" like airlines are (due to business travel).  I have a feeling that there will be increasing pressure to make cruising more of a priority.  Hear me out:

1.) The economy: Like it or not, cruising brings in MILLIONS of dollars for the US.  Every time we port, we have to pay a fee, not just per ship, but PER HEAD.  This can amount to HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS in lost revenue that gets paid directly to the government...PER WEEK!  

2.) Cruise lines support local businesses when we shop for souvenirs, helping to bring back the local economy.

3.) Cruising often brings business to hotels and airlines.  Many people fly in the day before a cruise (or a few days) and/or stay in town for a few days after the cruise.  This means that people would need a way to get back home and a place to sleep for a few nights.

4.) Agriculture: Cruise lines support the local agriculture whenever they port and restock the ships.  Where do you think all the ingredients come from for the delicious meals?

5.) Pent-up demand: Cruises are actually filling up right and left for 2022, so rather than being DISCOURAGED from cruising, many people want to travel, which means the cruise industry could be quite lucrative. 

So, like it or not, cruising WILL become ESSENTIAL to bringing back the economy!

Bring the economy back from what? For the year 2020 my IRA was up 38% and ytd it's up almost 9%.

Big bucks$$$.

9 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Seriously dude.  Take a deep breath and see a psychiatrist.  They work wonders these days with psychotropic meds.  

So a group of college kids for example lets say who kick off over wearing masks perhaps attack a passenger or staff or security or some form of vandalism they won't get a life ban off Royal will they not? And by extension of that ban a ban from the Royal grouping?. Look at how many people have been banned from airlines for life over this. 

Take a look at this from NCL. A group of rappers banned like 6 or  7 people over pooping incident during a charter cruise on NCL Pearl. And those guys would have spent some money that ship. 7 people banned from 1 incident if I am reading it correctly. And it wasn't even that bad what happened.

https://crew-center.com/flo-rida-banned-norwegian-cruise-line#:~:text=G-Unit's DJ Whoo Kid,England Patriots star Rob Gronkowski.

4 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Bring the economy back from what? For the year 2020 my IRA was up 38% and ytd it's up almost 9%.

Big bucks$$$.

There are many who confuse the stock market and the economy.  Millions are unemployed and you only see your investment statements.  As in most economic downturns the rich get richer.  My IRA increased 18% and my Social Security went up a bit and I was called to work part time at an increased rate because of the pandemic, but it is not about me.

• Like 13