What are some of the differences from 7 to 10 day cruises?

CJinFLA00

On 4/24/2021 at 10:47 AM, John99 said:

... The only itinerary DW will not take is to Australia and New Zeeland.  Those 20/22 hour flights from LA are a killer.  ...

John

A couple of things you could consider:

1) Take a trans-Pacific cruise to or from the Land of Oz.

2) Break up your flights with multi-day stop-overs along the way. Hawaii, Fiji and Tahiti come to mind.

Yes it's a bit more costly but hey, Down Under is definitely worth seeing and shouldn't be missed.

On 4/23/2021 at 7:25 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

But, trust me, it doesn't stop there

LOL ain’t that the truth! 

For me those extra couple days are going to help with the planning and travel anxiety. Extra day to ramp down from the stress of getting there and worrying if I forgot anything. An extra day before to pack up and get ready to depart. More time to relax and not worry about missing activities, since they are more likely to repeat. 

On 4/25/2021 at 3:47 AM, John99 said:

The only itinerary DW will not take is to Australia and New Zeeland.  Those 20/22 hour flights from LA are a killer. 

John

Huh? Where did you get 20-22 hours from? 

It's around 14 hours LA to Sydney and even less, around 12 hours, LA to Auckland.

If you timed it right you could take a repositioning cruise home avoiding the return flight. They usually leave Australia late March / early April. Make a decent trip of it. Fly into Auckland, do some land travel in NZ, take a one way cruise of NZ that ends in Australia. Do some land travel in Australia, then cruise home. 🙂

On 4/24/2021 at 7:23 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Downside of a 10 day cruise:  Too many elites.  I will never ever be invited to the top 40 luncheon; forget about the top 3 most frequent cruise passengers.  But I will continue to sacrifice and make these long cruises to build my days.  sigh.

Lots of elites means up to a 3 day wait for free laundry. You will also find more passengers on board during port days, been to St. Thomas so many times before.

For most North & South America based cruises we have been on, 7 through 16 days, the top 40 is usually 450+ days. Alaska has been the exception, usually lower. It's not always a lunch. Sometimes it's a cocktail party. In February 2020, just before the shutdown, the cut off on each of the three of our 10 day Crown b2b2b cruises was 500+ days. 

18 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

A couple of things you could consider:

1) Take a trans-Pacific cruise to or from the Land of Oz.

2) Break up your flights with multi-day stop-overs along the way. Hawaii, Fiji and Tahiti come to mind.

Yes it's a bit more costly but hey, Down Under is definitely worth seeing and shouldn't be missed.

We did #2 with a 3-night stopover in HNL.  Really enjoyed spending time on Oahu as our previous visit was 99% other islands.  That helped as we did not have business class flying to SYD.  We enjoyed the flight on Hawaiian Airlines to SYD as well.  Flew direct home from SYD with a stop in YVR - it was my last big blow if airline points to fly business.

And you are 110+% right in the final line!