If vaccinations are required, how are the cruise lines going to check for compliance?

ontheweb

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

I’m a huge fan of mychart and all of my health care providers seem to be on it which helps centralize records. But, that didn’t help a whole lot with the Covid vaccine. When I was eligible for the vaccine it was open to people over 60 and certain occupations. I qualified due to occupation. But I don’t think mychart put that together so it wouldn’t allow me to schedule a vaccine through trihealth. So I ended up going to a city health department vaccination site and they definately don’t sync up with that. I told my doctor I got it so it could be added to my record. But that certainly shouldn’t be counted as ‘proof’ since it was self reported.

You can ask your city health department to release your medical record (once you got that vaccine, you acquired a medical record there) to your primary care provider. Just sign a release and off it goes.

57 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Don’t hold your breath. Once cruises are allowed to restart, do you honestly think the cruise industry would do anything that risks infection - particularly something like caving to antivaxers?

Way too much at stake for cruise lines (which  won’t mind the bottom line rounding figure difference due to antivaxers staying home.

When  @Sky616 posted that I just asked "why." No reply.

12 hours ago, Sky616 said:

Nobody should have to be vaccinated to go on a cruise.

Nobody who either hasn't been vaccinated or who can't show by an antibody test that they have already has covid should be allowed on a cruise.  

DON

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You may not realize it but, if you already didn’t, you now have a medical record at Walgreens and, depending on your regular health care provider’s record system (hopefully MyChart or some other Epic system) that info should be syncable.

Count me in the camp of folks who believe that, should a vaccine passport or passport visa become required, only the bona fide medical record (and not the paper card) will be required for proof that you were vaccinated.

Ours is just a half sheet of paper that is actually raggedly torn along one edge.  And instead of the CDC logo in the upper right hand corner it simply says "Walgreens."  I can just see myself walking up to the counter at a cruise terminal and not being allowed to board.  It looks so unofficial.

Edited by gooch47

1 hour ago, gooch47 said:

Ours is just a half sheet of paper that is actually raggedly torn along one edge.  And instead of the CDC logo in the upper right hand corner it simply says "Walgreens."  I can just see myself walking up to the counter at a cruise terminal and not being allowed to board.  It looks so unofficial.

Again, you now have a medical record at Walgreen’s. It is stored electronically in their data system. You should be able to sign a release of information form and request that the record be transferred to your PCP for entry into their record system. 
if your Walgreen’s says it can’t be done, ask for what pharmacists call a “back panel” (which is a printout of the complete details of every medication they have provided to you). Still “No?” Request that your Rx records be transferred to a different pharmacy (like CVS) and watch that “back panel” or originally requested PCP Release/Transfer appear. And, once that’s all done, change your pharmacy anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Looked at another way:  No cruise line should recklessly expose passengers to contagion by failing to apply safeguards.

But then we wouldn't have any of those wonderful cruise line lawsuit threads around here. Those are a heck of a lot more fun than these idiotic masks and vaccines threads. I guess we're better internet armchair lawyers than we are internet armchair virologists. ⚖️ 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2021 at 2:42 PM, slidergirl said:

With Florida, I wouldn't worry so much about the CDC as I would worry about the state Executive Order in place that prohibits any business from requiring proof of vaccination.  

If I could, I, for one, would not give any of my generated herd immunity to anyone who refuses to get vaccinated. Legit medical reasons I'll give - that's the purpose of herd immunity.  But, with so many people for political or personal reasons are refusing, I doubt we'll ever get there.  That's going to put a big chink in anyone wanting cruise or otherwise get back to "life as normal."  IMHO, of course. 

Those who refuse to get a vaccination are going to have a very small choice of "vacation" for awhile: I heard visiting the cows in Amish areas in South Central Pennsylvania is nice - wet bottom shoo fly pie with a scoop of ice cream from the local bovines is yummy.  And,the buffets are open.   Or, drive to perhaps West Virginia and go rafting on the New River.  

On 4/26/2021 at 2:42 PM, slidergirl said:

On 4/27/2021 at 6:55 AM, donaldsc said:

Nobody who either hasn't been vaccinated or who can't show by an antibody test that they have already has covid should be allowed on a cruise.  

DON

On 4/27/2021 at 4:20 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Looked at another way:  No cruise line should recklessly expose passengers to contagion by failing to apply safeguards.

We completely agree,  no vaccination = no cruise for adults.

• Like 5

DeSantis is about to sign the ban on vaccine passports. I guessing he has more leverage than the CDC with the May 12th court date as well. The CDC had plenty of time to work this out and have cruising start earlier as it did in other countries. 0.02% is the infection rate on cruise ships since they restarted. I can't go to my grocery store with odds that low. Facts are in favor of the cruise lines.

I am not sure how that will jive with DeSantis signing the order/bill for the state of FL. Assuming the way it appears to be going, the cruise lines won't be able to require proof, but they can ask the question as optional. There will be no verification. I have no issue with it either way. 

If you are stuck in the mind set of "everyone has to be vaccinated to cruise", you need to be the ones waiting for the eradication of covid. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BoozinCroozin said:

DeSantis is about to sign the ban on vaccine passports. I guessing he has more leverage than the CDC with the May 12th court date as well. The CDC had plenty of time to work this out and have cruising start earlier as it did in other countries. 0.02% is the infection rate on cruise ships since they restarted. I can't go to my grocery store with odds that low. Facts are in favor of the cruise lines.

I am not sure how that will jive with DeSantis signing the order/bill for the state of FL. Assuming the way it appears to be going, the cruise lines won't be able to require proof, but they can ask the question as optional. There will be no verification. I have no issue with it either way. 

If you are stuck in the mind set of "everyone has to be vaccinated to cruise", you need to be the ones waiting for the eradication of covid. 

The cruise lines certainly can require proof of vaccination to comply with federal requirements.

• Like 1

The thing is, we’re all going to get off the ship at some point and mingle with the locals, right? It’s a big world, and much of it will not be vaccinated for a very long time, if ever. (Another reason the whole concept of waiting for “herd immunity” is a pipe dream.) If you travel, you will very likely be exposed to Covid somewhere along the way.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 1:23 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

No cruise line concerned about its future will be lax about this. Whether it’s some sort of vaccine passport (not unlike what is already underway in NY) or third party app that issues a QR code or a list of acceptable proofs (e.g., a MyChart medical record entry), something other than that currently issued card will be required at embarkation. And the smart/safe lines may still require an immediate results negative pre-boarding Covid test at the port of embarkation.

FWIW: On Feb. 3, 2020, we were starting an Oceania cruise in Cape Town and beyond the normal requirement for passport submission, there was the usual medical questionnaire to which was added a temp check and verbal inquiry regarding recent travel to China. But, that wasn’t the end of it. There was a special area set aside where a small team of young women were perusing every passport - page by page - for evidence of Chinese visas recently used. Needless to say there were some unhappy passengers and joining crew when they were denied boarding.

My point is that cruise lines stand a lot to lose for not being vigilant. After all, that family they turn away doesn’t even represent a rounding error in their daily bottom line business. 
It’s just not worth the risk to not require hyper vigilance in a Covid environment.

I agree!  It is critical that the cruise lines get this right when US sailings resume.  If there are any cruise ships that get quarantined out to sea because of a Covid outbreak, we will see another No Sail Order.  I cannot imagine that any cruise line can withstand any more shutdowns.  As someone who loves cruising, I can tell you I want them to get it right!!!   Vaccinations are a MUST.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Twitchly said:

The thing is, we’re all going to get off the ship at some point and mingle with the locals, right? It’s a big world, and much of it will not be vaccinated for a very long time, if ever. (Another reason the whole concept of waiting for “herd immunity” is a pipe dream.) If you travel, you will very likely be exposed to Covid somewhere along the way.

No, the whole point of ship excursions is to maintain the safe "bubble".  The only locals those passengers will mingle with are the guides, drivers, etc. who have been approved by the cruise line.  On the European cruises that have been doing this for a number of months, several people were denied reboarding after they left their group to do their own thing.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

No, the whole point of ship excursions is to maintain the safe "bubble".  The only locals those passengers will mingle with are the guides, drivers, etc. who have been approved by the cruise line.  On the European cruises that have been doing this for a number of months, several people were denied reboarding after they left their group to do their own thing.

How are they going to do this unless the only excursions are buses and the passengers are never allowed off the bus? Are they going to clear sidewalks, stores, churches, museums, etc?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

How are they going to do this unless the only excursions are buses and the passengers are never allowed off the bus? Are they going to clear sidewalks, stores, churches, museums, etc?

Just tell them you know me....

• Haha 1

WaPo is reporting that an individual flying from Miami to Argentina faked his COVID test certificate.

His PCR test was positive for COVID, but he presented a negative document to the airline agents. When he arrived in Argentina he had a 100+ fever, subsequently quarantined to a gov't facility after confessing to authorities.

There were 300+ on the plane and so far 14 have been contacted and was told to quarantine. The gov't plans to sanction and fine the airline too.

The article suggested that he may have come to the US to get vaccinated.

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2021 at 9:05 AM, Sea42 said:

The difficulty here in the States is that we don't have a national health care system (with the exception of the elderly, low income and military veterans). Each sate does things in different ways. Our vaccines are reported to a state database here in Wisconsin but, to my knowledge, that information is not passed on to the federal government.

Fed govt nor CDC maintains COVID-19 vaccination database. Each state maintains those records. If replacement card is needed that’s where you obtain it. CDC has contact information for each state. I asked for duplicate card when vaccinated. Explained why and was given same. One to carry (in heavy name badge protector); one in safe. Pics of mine and DH on each of our phones. We have MyChart info also. As of now that’s as good as it gets. 

• Like 1

This is a 2-step approach at the moment. First, FL, TX, AK have to win the lawsuit against the CDC's CSO. Unless that is ended, cruise lines are not sailing from the US. The cruise lines nor the passengers are going to agree to 99.9% time wearing a mask onboard. It is absolutely stupid. If that doesn't happen this week, cruise lines will move their fleet from the US for a long time.

Second, if the CSO does have an injunction put on it, then FL has the decision to continue the legislature they signed the other week or lose the cruise industry. It would be the stupidest thing to win against the CDC and then still lose the cruise industry because they cannot ask for vaccine information. 

On 4/24/2021 at 12:21 PM, ontheweb said:

Some cruise lines are already saying vaccines will be required. Many of us on these forums are saying we will not sail on a ship unless everyone is vaccinated.

An example of why this will not be easy to accomplish. A staff member at my wife's school has possibly exposed others including DW to Covid. She got an e-mail from her school district that she might have been exposed and might have to quarantine for 10 days, and to expect a call from the NY State Health Department. Now since she has had both her vaccinations, we know that the CDC says no need for quarantine. This morning she got the call. She told them she had her vaccinations. She got the card and read off the place, the dates, and the batch numbers. This is what a cruise line would see. The response from the NY State Health department was we'll call you back tomorrow to confirm that you do not have to quarantine for the 10 days, but until then stay away from people.

Now if a health department from the state where the vaccine was administered needs a day to check, how is a cruise line supposed to do this at embarkation?

Is the Health Dept in every state going to have a database of every jab given. I got my shot's at the Hospital i work at. DW got her's threw the local CVS and my son went threw the state vaccine site. So many places giving shots how is it all stored ? I am slightly concerned about fake vaccine cards.